Dion Waiters Officially a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject:

Dion is #18, Quinn Cook is #28
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject:

Release the Dion.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

Is he playing tonight? Someone post a tweet that says he's playing tonight!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Vogel said he's not active.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Vogel said he's not active.

Son of a RONDO
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I think they want to get more practice time in before unleashing him, but I’m sure this is also a test to see if he acts up about not playing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I think they want to get more practice time in before unleashing him, but I’m sure this is also a test to see if he acts up about not playing.

Coaches tend to be more conservative than fans, and they don't succomb to the thrill of the new like fans do. My guess is Vogel won't shake things up as much or as quickly as some fans would like.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Will Dion play tomorrow and have Lebron's minutes? I think tomorrow is a good opportunity to see what waiters can bring to the team.

I think it depends purely on his conditioning at this point.. He hasn't played at all in over a month and only 3 games total the entire season.. It might be a few more games but hopefully he can get at least a few minutes to get things started.

He looked chubby in the vid I’ve seen of him since his signing. I very much doubt he’s in shape. I just don’t know how much we can rely on someone who takes his craft so lightly as to let himself go when he knew he was at a crossroads in terms of his nba career. Dwight kept himself in top top shape during the offseason, and even though he took some time to get into basketball shape and got his explosiveness back, he was still in good enough shape to work hard every moment he was on the court. It doesn’t look like Waiters did that. Waiters isn’t a good enough shooter or playmaker or defender to make up for a lack of conditioning on a regular basis against good teams. Him in the Troy Daniels role is fine, but anyone thinking he will be a regular part of the rotation is kidding themselves, IMO. I hope I am wrong.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Deon Waiters reminds me of Isiah Rider when he was with us that one season. a knucklehead with scoring playmaking ability who only play meaningless minutes on a title contending squad.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
hype wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Will Dion play tomorrow and have Lebron's minutes? I think tomorrow is a good opportunity to see what waiters can bring to the team.

I think it depends purely on his conditioning at this point.. He hasn't played at all in over a month and only 3 games total the entire season.. It might be a few more games but hopefully he can get at least a few minutes to get things started.

He looked chubby in the vid I’ve seen of him since his signing. I very much doubt he’s in shape. I just don’t know how much we can rely on someone who takes his craft so lightly as to let himself go when he knew he was at a crossroads in terms of his nba career. Dwight kept himself in top top shape during the offseason, and even though he took some time to get into basketball shape and got his explosiveness back, he was still in good enough shape to work hard every moment he was on the court. It doesn’t look like Waiters did that. Waiters isn’t a good enough shooter or playmaker or defender to make up for a lack of conditioning on a regular basis against good teams. Him in the Troy Daniels role is fine, but anyone thinking he will be a regular part of the rotation is kidding themselves, IMO. I hope I am wrong.

I don't think he's that far away shape wise. If you watch video of his limited games this season and last season you'll see he looks very similar then he did in that first practice shoot around video with us. He uses that thickness extremely well at times imo and still has some great shiftiness to lose defenders. I was talking to a Heat fan the other day and he was telling me the same thing and also had nothing but great things to say about him when he's motivated which I feel he absolutely will to end this season.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he has absolutely no chance at the rotation though. It's very unlikely especially this late in the season but his playmaking, perimeter defense and ability to create his own shot all fill holes on our roster. It's not like even if everything goes flawlessly for him he is going to get more then a few minutes of game action a half anyways.

Worst case is that he is a much better situational player at the end of the bench especially against our biggest threats then Troy could be.

Like I said when we first signed him I would not be shocked if we don't see him until at least the second Utah game.

I don't really have any expectations at all for him but it will at least make the end of the season against a bunch of mediocre teams a bit more exciting to see how he fits. The way i'm looking at it is more so for next season anyways, if he does well he could be a great cheap re-signing imo.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Deon Waiters reminds me of Isiah Rider when he was with us that one season. a knucklehead with scoring playmaking ability who only play meaningless minutes on a title contending squad.

Wow good call. I can see it. Rider wasn’t even on the playoff roster that year if I remember. Not that we needed him
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

Frank Vogel said Dion Waiters has been scrimmaging. #Lakers

Slowly but surely.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
hype wrote:
leking006 wrote:

When was he ever skinny? He was always built like that.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject:

They just said right now on Lakers pre-game that Dion isn’t expected to play tonight
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Could've used him tonight. All our guards were garbage.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

IMO if he were pressed into action tonight, we win this one.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Should have played Dion if we were going to lose anyway
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject:

or Dion already having an effect on team mojo
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
kikanga wrote:

IMO if he were pressed into action tonight, we win this one.

With Dion you have about a 40/60 chance of him helping you win, or assisting in you losing.

We won't know where he stands till he plays for us, hopefully the scrimmaging has gone well.
I love Kobe 24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Guys!! So i had the privilege of going to the practice facility today and watch the team practice... the whole practice was about waiters! They ran scrimmages and he was the focal point! He looked explosive!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I love Kobe 24 wrote:
Guys!! So i had the privilege of going to the practice facility today and watch the team practice... the whole practice was about waiters! They ran scrimmages and he was the focal point! He looked explosive!

If true, makes sense why they’re being very cautious of bringing him in. Seems like he’ll push Caruso to just a defender and Rondo maybe to 3rd ball handler.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I love Kobe 24 wrote:

That's good to hear, but keep in mind that there has never been a question about his talent, it's his learning to harness that talent, without the effects of thc, to the benefit of the team.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I love Kobe 24 wrote:

Wait, don’t they have the practice facility also closed off because of the whole COVID?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
I love Kobe 24 wrote:

Wait, don’t they have the practice facility also closed off because of the whole COVID?

We weren’t actually on the court but they have gigantic windows you can watch from it was a small group of 10 people. Once the practice actually started they made us put our phones away.

I did take some awesome photos prior to practice beginning though. Lakers Instagram just made a post about waiters at practice... I’m telling you the scrimmage was focused around him taking every shot! He looked great! It was just practice but he has a mean first step and shot! Also had this explosive dunk..
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Brad Turner: Sources: Lakers guard Dion Waiters going to play for South Bay Lakers Friday against Agua Caliente Clippers in El Segundo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28
Jump to: