2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Max Muncy seems to strike out a ton for a guy that has a good approach at the plate and a good eye.

There are a lot of guys like that in today's baseball. Like Judge. At least he hits a lot of balls hard and draws a lot of walks.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Max Muncy seems to strike out a ton for a guy that has a good approach at the plate and a good eye.

There are a lot of guys like that in today's baseball. Like Judge. At least he hits a lot of balls hard and draws a lot of walks.

There probably is.

But Muncy seems to get praised for having a good batting eye and being able to take some really tough pitches.

Then he strikes out a ton it seems.

For instance, if I were to guess, I’d guess that Seager strikes out more than Muncy.

I’d be wrong.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

As many of you know, I’m an avowed Dodger hater, but I have to say, seeing all the Joe Kelly memes and t-shirts is pretty freaking awesome. That dude’s alright.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

There probably is.

But Muncy seems to get praised for having a good batting eye and being able to take some really tough pitches.

Yeah, when your approach is to see a lot of pitches and to take a lot of pitches, it comes with the territory that you're going to have a lot of 2-strike counts. And when that happens, you're just going to strike out a lot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Seager is really, really locked in. My goodness. And so is Betts, by the way. Two rockets he's hit today, one for a double and one for a deep lineout to CF.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

There probably is.

Yeah, when your approach is to see a lot of pitches and to take a lot of pitches, it comes with the territory that you're going to have a lot of 2-strike counts. And when that happens, you're just going to strike out a lot.

Could be.

I’m trying to think of other players that get praised for their batting eye and hitting approach but also strike out a ton.

Can’t really think of others off the top of my head.

For instance, Justin Turner also gets praised for having a good approach, and he also works the count. But he doesn’t strike out a ton.

Same thing with Mookie Betts.

I think the 3 guys on the Dodgers that get praised the most for having good at bats are: Turner, Betts, and Muncy. Muncy’s the only one that strikes out a ton.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

There probably is.

Could be.

I’m trying to think of other players that get praised for their batting eye and hitting approach but also strike out a ton.

For instance, Justin Turner also gets praised for having a good approach, and he also works the count. But he doesn’t strike out a ton.

I think the 3 guys on the Dodgers that get praised the most for having good at bats are: Turner, Betts, and Muncy. Muncy’s the only one that strikes out a ton.

Yes, Turner's bat-to-ball skills are incredible, so he just doesn't strike out a ton. Ditto Betts. But in the last 20 years or so, with how hitters' approaches have changed so much (less emphasis on balls in play, more emphasis on on-base percentage and launch angle, etc.), you see a lot of guys with Adam Dunn-like approaches, where you see a lot of pitches, strike out a lot, walk a lot, and hit for some power. Of course, some guys have more natural power than others, a better eye than others, better bat-to-ball skills than others, etc. I think it's actually rare that guys don't strike out a lot now, at least, if they also have great eyes and are disciplined. The Turners and Betts' are exceptions to the rule.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

^
Just to add to what I was saying above, there are several players with great bat-to-ball skills (so they may not strike out a lot), but many of those are guys who don't walk a lot and who swing at bad pitches. Perhaps they still make contact on those bad pitches because of the great bat-to-ball skills, but if you keep doing that, it's obviously not a good thing. Vlad Guerrero was probably the greatest at this I have ever seen. But then you get guys like Andrelton Simmons who put the ball in play but not for very much power and he hardly walks. That will play if you have a runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs and you don't want a strikeout, sure. But in general, it's not what you want to see over the course of 400, 500, 600 AB's.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

There probably is.

Could be.

Yes, Turner's bat-to-ball skills are incredible, so he just doesn't strike out a ton. Ditto Betts. But in the last 20 years or so, with how hitters' approaches have changed so much (less emphasis on balls in play, more emphasis on on-base percentage and launch angle, etc.), you see a lot of guys with Adam Dunn-like approaches, where you see a lot of pitches, strike out a lot, walk a lot, and hit for some power. Of course, some guys have more natural power than others, a better eye than others, better bat-to-ball skills than others, etc. I think it's actually rare that guys don't strike out a lot now, at least, if they also have great eyes and are disciplined. The Turners and Betts' are exceptions to the rule.

I would compare Joc to Dunn. Joc walks a ton, hits a bunch of HRs, and strikes out a ton. And I’ve never heard anyone say Joc has a great approach at the plate or a great batting eye.

I’m just talking about players that get praised for having a great approach at the plate. I don’t remember Adam Dunn getting such praises. Maybe he did, I didn’t watch him much. I know I’ve never heard anyone praise Joc Pederson.

Yeah, if Turner and Betts are the exception to the rule, I really can’t think of others like Muncy. Not off the top of my head.

I don’t know if Aaron Judge gets that type of praise. I hardly watch the Yankees play.

If I were to guess who on the Astros gets that type of praise, I would guess Altuve and Bregman. Looking up their stats, they also don’t strike out that much.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

There probably is.

Could be.

I would compare Joc to Dunn. Joc walks a ton, hits a bunch of HRs, and strikes out a ton. And I’ve never heard anyone say Joc has a great approach at the plate or a great batting eye.

I’m just talking about players that get praised for having a great approach at the plate. I don’t remember Adam Dunn getting such praises. Maybe he did, I didn’t watch him much. I know I’ve never heard anyone praise Joc Pederson.

Yeah, if Turner and Betts are the exception to the rule, I really can’t think of others like Muncy. Not off the top of my head.

I don’t know if Aaron Judge gets that type of praise. I hardly watch the Yankees play.

If I were to guess who on the Astros gets that type of praise, I would guess Altuve and Bregman. Looking up their stats, they also don’t strike out that much.

Well, yeah, when they were cheating!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

No team piles on with a big lead like the Dodgers, I swear. 11-2 now.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

If he keeps this up Rios is going to force Roberts hand.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Maeda blanked the Indians today:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches

That's OK. Starting pitching is fine for us. We have a bevy of #3-4 starters. 100 MPH with a wipeout slider doesn't grow on trees. I still haven't seen anyone barrel Graterol up.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches

That's OK. Starting pitching is fine for us. We have a bevy of #3-4 starters. 100 MPH with a wipeout slider doesn't grow on trees. I still haven't seen anyone barrel Graterol up.

Well so far, it's a win win trade for both teams, so that's good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches

Yeah, the Twins needed a reliable starter and Maeda is certainly that. And in a short season, probably more reliable than he would otherwise be.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches

Yeah, the Twins needed a reliable starter and Maeda is certainly that. And in a short season, probably more reliable than he would otherwise be.

Who'd of thunk we'd remiss over Maeda instead of Ryu. Even Ol Man Rich Hill was solid in his lone start for the Twins.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

The thing with Muncy is in the postseason he will typically never have a 3-5 pitch strikeout. He’s usually pretty good at making the pitcher work for that final strike and draws pitches 6,7,8 often. So even if he does end up striking out I still see it as a good ab since it will help us get to the bullpen quicker.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

I don’t recall thinking that Muncy has a lot of bad at-bats or gets fooled an unusually high percentage of the time. Some guys that strike out a lot can tend to look bad on a lot of their swing and misses.

The at-bats I hate the most are guys that swing at first pitches that are not even good pitches to hit and make it easy on the pitcher.

I do remember Dunn getting criticized a lot for his strikeouts and low batting average, but that was often in a different era before the shifts. Back then hitters got criticized for not putting the ball in play enough and Dunn got that criticism.

Fwiw it does limit the number of double plays Muncy hits into when he sees a lot of pitches.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

Joc doesn’t get on base as often as Muncy. He gets fewer walks and fewer hits, and I just checked and he doesn’t get as many walks as I thought.

I like Joc and he has come up with some HUGE hits for the team, but I wouldn’t say he has great at-bats. Seems like I seen him get fooled on pitches more than Muncy does.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

6ip
0 runs
1 hit
1 bb
6 k
83 pitches

Who'd of thunk we'd remiss over Maeda instead of Ryu. Even Ol Man Rich Hill was solid in his lone start for the Twins.

Right now the Dodger I miss the most is Bellinger. I wasn’t expecting to miss a hitter.

I wasn’t thrilled to see either Ryu, Maeda or Hill go. Maeda was very useful because he could start or come out of the bullpen. But I’ve been happy with the younger starting pitchers so far.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I like Joc and he has come up with some HUGE hits for the team, but I wouldn’t say he has great at-bats. Seems like I seen him get fooled on pitches more than Muncy does.

Yup. That was the whole point. No one’s ever said Joc has great ABs.

But they do about Muncy.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

WTH, don't understand our lineup today against a power RHP Kelly. Kershaw better give us 6 strong as I feel we will struggle to give him much run support as always.

Betts, RF
Muncy, 1B
Turner, 3B
Bellinger, CF
Taylor, SS
Pollock, LF
Pederson, DH
Hernandez, 2B
Barnes, C
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Big homer for Cody.

Also Kersh hitting 93 on his 4 seam. Mlb look out.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

dia beetus

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 15 of 300
Jump to: