2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject:

^I looked him up and saw his height and weight when I was intending to look at statistics. I’m the same height as he is so I was stunned to see he was that big. That’s why I reacted the way I did.

I didn’t know that Trout was mentioned here that much.

If Upton isn’t juicing then maybe he should start right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
^I looked him up and saw his height and weight when I was intending to look at statistics. I’m the same height as he is so I was stunned to see he was that big. That’s why I reacted the way I did.

I didn’t know that Trout was mentioned here that much.

If Upton isn’t juicing then maybe he should start right now.

Yeah it’s not a question solely for you. I just noticed so many people jumping on Trout for whatever each person’s reasons are. Seemed odd to me.

If your reasons are solely about steroids, I haven’t seen you call out any other player for steroids, only Trout so far.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

New look today and very lefty heavy, break out the brooms! 🧹 🧹 🧹

M. Betts, RF
C. Seager, DH
M. Muncy, 2B
C. Bellinger, CF
C. Taylor, SS
J. Pederson, LF
E. Rios, 3B
M. Beaty, 1B
K. Ruiz, C

D. May, P
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

After a botched 2nd inning where Rios hurt his hamstring legging out a double and then couldn't score from 2nd in time because of Beaty's terrible decision to try to push a single into a double, and then May allowed a run on a bloop single, the Dodgers have plated 3 in the 3rd. How did we do it? How about Ruiz homering in his first MLB at-bat! And then Muncy hit a 2-run shot, so he's now driven in 5 over the last 2 games, and he had driven in 5 total before that.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
After a botched 2nd inning where Rios hurt his hamstring legging out a double and then couldn't score from 2nd in time because of Beaty's terrible decision to try to push a single into a double, and then May allowed a run on a bloop single, the Dodgers have plated 3 in the 3rd. How did we do it? How about Ruiz homering in his first MLB at-bat! And then Muncy hit a 2-run shot, so he's now driven in 5 over the last 2 games, and he had driven in 5 total before that.

Yeap I was yelling at Doc there why no pinch runner!? Usually Doc errors on the side of caution.

If Rios has to be IL'ed than Zack or Gavin would get activated?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote="MookieBetts50"]
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeap I was yelling at Doc there why no pinch runner!? Usually Doc errors on the side of caution.

If Rios has to be IL'ed than Zack or Gavin would get activated?[/quote

Seems rational, yes.

Joc is 1 for his last 28. Average down around .150 now. At least we're breezing again, 8-3 late.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We've only played one good team so far, the Padres, and we're 2-3 against them.

Which is the good team and which is the bad team?

Arizona is 11-11 now.
Padres are 11-12 now.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Rios news, you guys can breath a sigh of relief.

@DodgersLowDown

1h
Injury Update: #Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Edwin Ríos is considered day-to-day. The training staff believes Ríos is dealing with a cramp rather than a hamstring strain. Ríos added that the injury happened on the slide and not while running the bases.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Arizona is 11-11 now.
Padres are 11-12 now.

Arizona has suddenly come alive with their bats. I still think the Padres are the better team, though, this weekend's series notwithstanding. The Padres thought they had a dominant bullpen, but unfortunately for them, Kirby Yates has bone chips in his elbow and could be out for the year, Stammen has been mortal, and Pagan has been awful since coming over in the trade from Tampa Bay. Pomeranz is more than capable as the closer but it appears their bullpen isn't as dynamic as it looked going into the season.

I mean, the Orioles would make the postseason in the AL right now, so a lot of crazy stuff can happen as far as record in this small of a sample size. The Dodgers are 16-7 and it truly feels like they could be 21-2 with a couple of bounces and right managerial decisions. And now we get 4 against a bad Mariners team that has lost a few games in a row. Hopefully we at least take 3 of 4 against them, and don't have a letdown after facing a Padres team on the come-up and an Angel team that always plays us tough (I'm sure we were fully focused for this series against them, regardless of their record).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Arizona is 11-11 now.
Padres are 11-12 now.

Arizona has suddenly come alive with their bats. I still think the Padres are the better team, though, this weekend's series notwithstanding. The Padres thought they had a dominant bullpen, but unfortunately for them, Kirby Yates has bone chips in his elbow and could be out for the year, Stammen has been mortal, and Pagan has been awful since coming over in the trade from Tampa Bay. Pomeranz is more than capable as the closer but it appears their bullpen isn't as dynamic as it looked going into the season.

I mean, the Orioles would make the postseason in the AL right now, so a lot of crazy stuff can happen as far as record in this small of a sample size. The Dodgers are 16-7 and it truly feels like they could be 21-2 with a couple of bounces and right managerial decisions. And now we get 4 against a bad Mariners team that has lost a few games in a row. Hopefully we at least take 3 of 4 against them, and don't have a letdown after facing a Padres team on the come-up and an Angel team that always plays us tough (I'm sure we were fully focused for this series against them, regardless of their record).

Yeah, record isn't everything. But, I think it's fair to question if the Padres are still a "good" team.

Their run differential is now a negative (-2). Their record now is 11-12.

They've just lost 5 in a row. Their pitching staff has given up 109 runs so far. Their team ERA is now at 4.69 (before today's game).

Their team batting avg is .229 (ranked 22nd in mlb).

Yes, it's still early and it's a small sample size. But, it was a smaller sample size when they were labeled as a "good" team.

As far as the Orioles, they started out the year being labeled as a "bad" team. Maybe it's too early to label them as a good team but maybe they deserve to lose the label of being a bad team?

Also, you said so far we've only played one good team. Maybe that one good team wasn't the Padres but it was the Astros?

Astros are now 11-10 and their run differential is now (+18). Take the 2 games they lost against us and they are 11-8 against the rest of the league.

Looking at our schedule, we have a very favorable schedule. We play our division plus the AL West. So far, only the A's and the Rockies have good records. Everyone else is around .500 or below.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, that was one of the reasons why the Dodgers were, by far, the largest division favorite going into the season, even though they and the Yankees were basically World Series co-favorites. The schedule is extremely favorable.

As for the Astros, they were scuffling until a few days ago, and just got well against the Mariners. I do think they are a decent team, but hardly great, particularly without Verlander and Osuna and, well, without the benefit of their hitters cheating. I expect the A's to win the AL West pretty comfortably, assuming Verlander can't return.

I saw something crazy where three teams have a team batting average of less than .100 from the catching position. Of course we aren't one of those teams, with Smith hitting a little under .200 and with Barnes' hot streak taking him to over .200.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject:

Is it too early to ponder who our first rd starters will be?

We know the first 2 will be Buehler and Kershaw. Who will be the 3rd starter, Urias or May?

Of course, if we win the first 2 games then the no 3 starter will start the following series.

If we lose 1 of the first 2, then game 3 becomes the elimination game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

We know the first 2 will be Buehler and Kershaw. Who will be the 3rd starter, Urias or May?

Of course, if we win the first 2 games then the no 3 starter will start the following series.

Ok, so hear me out on this: Kershaw should start Game 1 even if Buehler is actually pitching better by the end of the year. Buehler has been considered the ace in each of the last two postseasons, I know, and I actually trust him more. However, with the first round being a best-of-3, I am starting Kershaw in the first game and not the second. Why? Because we've asked him to "save our season" too many times now. And it's usually gone very, very poorly. So there should be less pressure on him in a Game 1 start, where the season is not on the line. I just don't want him having to go in a Game 2 that might be an elimination game. So I'd go with Kershaw first and then Buehler in Game 2.

As for Game 3, for now the nod should go to May imo. He's just throwing the best of any of our starters, really. That stuff is just nasty. But there is still plenty of time for that to change. You might even see both of them in a Game 3 appearance, although if May (or Urias, if he started) got far enough into the game, you could just go straight to your more experienced relievers instead.

I think Stripling would be utilized as a long man, like he has been in the previous postseasons, unless both May and Urias were going along very poorly as the season ends. I suppose Wood could still be a consideration, but those odds have to be very long at this point.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ok, so hear me out on this: Kershaw should start Game 1 even if Buehler is actually pitching better by the end of the year. Buehler has been considered the ace in each of the last two postseasons, I know, and I actually trust him more. However, with the first round being a best-of-3, I am starting Kershaw in the first game and not the second. Why? Because we've asked him to "save our season" too many times now. And it's usually gone very, very poorly. So there should be less pressure on him in a Game 1 start, where the season is not on the line. I just don't want him having to go in a Game 2 that might be an elimination game. So I'd go with Kershaw first and then Buehler in Game 2.

As for Game 3, for now the nod should go to May imo. He's just throwing the best of any of our starters, really. That stuff is just nasty. But there is still plenty of time for that to change. You might even see both of them in a Game 3 appearance, although if May (or Urias, if he started) got far enough into the game, you could just go straight to your more experienced relievers instead.

I think Stripling would be utilized as a long man, like he has been in the previous postseasons, unless both May and Urias were going along very poorly as the season ends. I suppose Wood could still be a consideration, but those odds have to be very long at this point.

Let me play devil’s advocate and say that game 1 is a must win in a 3 game series.

However, game 2 might or might not be a must win. (It’s not a must win if we win game 1).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

^
I don't think Game 1 is a must-win. Obviously, you'd want to win it, so please don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that you know your top 2 starters are going to be pitching the first two games. This is just me, but I don't want Clayton Kershaw anywhere near a must-win game, a literal must-win. I don't want to put that pressure on him yet again. We've done it way too many times. How about not doing that, for a change?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I don't think Game 1 is a must-win. Obviously, you'd want to win it, so please don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that you know your top 2 starters are going to be pitching the first two games. This is just me, but I don't want Clayton Kershaw anywhere near a must-win game, a literal must-win. I don't want to put that pressure on him yet again. We've done it way too many times. How about not doing that, for a change?

Yeah, then maybe we have different definitions of “must win” but I think any game you lose that puts you in an elimination position is a must win game to me.

Lose game 1, you’re facing elimination for the next 2 games. I define that as a must win because that’s a pretty bad situation to be in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Yeah, then maybe we have different definitions of “must win” but I think any game you lose that puts you in an elimination position is a must win game to me.

Lose game 1, you’re facing elimination for the next 2 games. I define that as a must win because that’s a pretty bad situation to be in.

OK, and how do you feel about Clayton Kershaw starting knowing that you literally have to win the game to keep your season alive? Personally, I'd much rather have him go out there in a Game 1 (in the first round) when there is less pressure. Sure, there would be less pressure in a Game 2 start for him if we won Game 1, but if you don't win it...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

OK, and how do you feel about Clayton Kershaw starting knowing that you literally have to win the game to keep your season alive? Personally, I'd much rather have him go out there in a Game 1 (in the first round) when there is less pressure. Sure, there would be less pressure in a Game 2 start for him if we won Game 1, but if you don't win it...

I hear you.

For sure there's more pressure in a game 2 (if we lose game 1) than there would be in a game 1.

I was just pointing out that game 1 is a must win game. (But I acknowledge that it's less of a must win than a game 2 would be if we lost game 1).

But, me personally, since I feel game 1 is a must win, I'd go with the best pitcher we have. Hopefully that's Buehler. If Buehler loses game 1, we're in a bad situation anyways no matter who starts game 2.

But like you mentioned earlier that Kershaw was hitting 94 his last start, that makes me feel good. Hopefully, he can keep it up in the playoffs.

A part of the problem with Kershaw is that he gets left in 1 inning too long and blows up. Hopefully, in a 3 game series, Roberts pulls him early before he blows up.

I think it's easy to see if Kershaw is going to have a good start or not. If he's falling behind early in the game and not locating his pitches, you have to have a short leash. If his pitches are sharp, I think you can ride him for 6 innings.

Sometimes, I think he gets overhyped and that causes him to not be able to locate his pitches. If Roberts sees that early, he has to have a quick hook. He can't rely on Kershaw to find his way out of his struggles early in the game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Betts and Seager stay hot. 6-2 Boys In Blue in the 3rd.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Dave, your boy is tired. He should have been taken out 5 batters ago
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Welp, now we're down 7-6 because Roberts somehow left Stripling in to allow 5 runs in the third inning and 7 runs overall. Inexcusable to allow him to give up that many runs, when we have as much depth in our bullpen with 28-man rosters as we do. Just absolutely no reason to leave him in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Dave, your boy is tired. He should have been taken out 5 batters ago

As soon as the dude hit the two-run homers to make it 6-5, at that point you can't let him go to another batter. He got lucky he retired Vogelbach, who had a cookie that he popped up, before the following two-run shot.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Welp, Stripling and Wood are our weak links so far. Time to move Stripling to the bullpen and Gonsolin into the rotation?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Welp, Stripling and Wood are our weak links so far. Time to move Stripling to the bullpen and Gonsolin into the rotation?

Gonsolin was already staying in it. They said they are going with a 6-man, at least for now. If Strip has another bad start, I'd either scrap the 6-man thing, or, if they want to keep giving guys an extra day off, either go back to Wood or give White a try. Maybe just keep shuffling until something sticks. I'd suspect they want guys on a regular schedule as the season gets closer to ending, though.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I don't think Barnes' hitting is a fluke. I think he's finally regained his 2017 form. I heard that Mookie Betts has been helping him with hitting.

Quote:
Dodgers: Joe Kelly Reveals That Mookie Betts Has Been Helping Austin Barnes

Clint Pasillas (FRG)
@realFRG
Since August 11, Austin Barnes is batting .538 (7-13). Joe Kelly revealed that Barnesy has been working with Mookie Betts on the side.
h/t: @THEREAL_DV

In fact, Joe Kelly tipped us on some conversations between Austin and Mookie.

"So I know Austin Barnes going deep last night was huge. I know Barnesy and Mookie have been talking baseball — talking hitting particularly — and I know Mookie has been helping out Barnes on the side a little bit. I don’t want to put it all out there. … When Mookie sees success, it just makes him a little bit better."

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-joe-kelly-reveals-that-mookie-betts-has-been-helping-austin-barnes/2020/08/15/

------------------------------

I was just looking at the 2016 MLB draft and saw this. Look at who Mitchell White is sandwiched between:

2 64 Pete Alonso New York Mets
2 65 Mitchell White Los Angeles Dodgers
2 66 Bo Bichette Toronto Blue Jays
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 25 of 300
Jump to: