2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Unless Morton pitches out of his ass and actually manages to beat Walker, most of you complaining now will be changing your tunes by the end of game 3

Even if we win game 3, still doesn’t cover for the freebie we gave away tonight. Each game counts the same.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
You “throw away” game so to speak when you up 3-0 in the series, not at the beginning of the series you dumb f#*k Roberts.

Yep....this series could turn on a game, so basically giving away a game just gives their hitters confidence.

Here’s a question: how would we have treated/approached this game if we had lost game 1?

Now that is a great question thankfully we dont have to find out but it could have changed everything
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Unless Morton pitches out of his ass and actually manages to beat Walker, most of you complaining now will be changing your tunes by the end of game 3

This is why they play the games and not by whats on paper. Nobody knows the outcome until they actually play.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I don’t understand the overly optimism, our bats looked very flat against their relievers outside of that 3 home runs. Dodgers weren’t able to sustain any big inning by stringing together few hits together.

Our bats also seemed less patient tonight, a lot of first pitch outs. Plus a few hard hit balls that just didn’t find holes. They went up against our least experienced pitchers and it was still very winnable for us. Obviously the “on paper” doesn’t mean anything but I like our odds in 3-5. A day off also means a day to refocus and realize not to take any at bat for granted.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Even if we win game 3, still doesn’t cover for the freebie we gave away tonight. Each game counts the same.

Yea if we win game 3, we set it up so that we have a fresh Urias and Kershaw against their weak ass lineup and their pitcher will either be Yarbrough or Glasnow. Im not worried
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
You “throw away” game so to speak when you up 3-0 in the series, not at the beginning of the series you dumb f#*k Roberts.

Yep....this series could turn on a game, so basically giving away a game just gives their hitters confidence.

Not to mention this puts even more pressure on Walker to turn out a great performance. Holy hell, Dave is an idiot.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

This is why they play the games and not by whats on paper. Nobody knows the outcome until they actually play.

Which is why you don’t mess around and “give away” a game.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Dave's strategy to set us up for possibly the next 5 games is perfect instead of panicking and screwing up our pitchers for the next couple games as well. Dave did fine. May for another inning is the only thing I would have changed. Even deploying Alex Wood in that circumstance to see how much he can give us was perfect
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Dave's strategy to set us up for possibly the next 5 games is perfect instead of panicking and screwing up our pitchers for the next couple games as well. Dave did fine. May for another inning is the only thing I would have changed. Even deploying Alex Wood in that circumstance to see how much he can give us was perfect

Well Dave is 0-2 in the World Series so you can see why people are questioning his strategy. You act like he is some mad genius when he has shown to overmanage at times.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Totally a free game with this bullpen strategy - what a crock! We needed a legit starter for game two in the WS not this mickey mouse pitching lineup.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Totally a free game with this bullpen strategy - what a crock! We needed a legit starter for game two in teh WS not this mickey mouse pitching lineup.

With David Price we win this game easily. Their lineup would hardly hurt him
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Well Dave is 0-2 in the World Series so you can see why people are questioning his strategy. You act like he is some mad genius when he has shown to overmanage at times.

Dave as a genius? I was the first one on here to question him starting May even before game 7 vs the Braves. I was the one who said I would rather have Wood pitch before May BEFORE this game. I dont trust Roberts at all. But I know good strategy when i see it and this is sound strategy. It will take a lot of things to go their way to beat us in each of the next 3 games.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Totally a free game with this bullpen strategy - what a crock! We needed a legit starter for game two in teh WS not this mickey mouse pitching lineup.

This is not a critique on Roberts because he had no real options here other than going to one of his Aces early for game 2 but more a critique on the Front Office who failed to shore up the starting pitching.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

The NLCS showed he’s gotten a lot better as a manager since his last two WS or even last year. I don’t think he really made any bad decisions tonight aside from sending out May a second time, but even that was more of a questionable decision than bad. Sometimes you make decent or good decisions and they just don’t work out. He’s been on such a roll I think we kinda got used to him being perfect.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

We didn't have great options tonight, folks. We weren't going to throw Buehler on short rest this early in a series when he has blister issues. Just wasn't ever going to happen. Maybe it could happen if it were an elimination game and our backs were against the wall. But it was never going to happen tonight and I agree with that decision.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't have Urias as an option tonight to start. I am not sure what else we could have done. And look, honestly, they only should have scored two runs. Kike's misplay directly cost us two runs, and then in the following inning May threw possibly the worst 0-2 pitch I have ever seen, costing us two more runs. I think our pitching can still dominate this lineup, and as long as we win 2 of the next 3, we are in good shape. As for our hitters, we were still getting traffic on the bases after that 4th inning, even against their ace and best relievers.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

This is not a critique on Roberts because he had no real options here other than going to one of his Aces early for game 2 but more a critique on the Front Office who failed to shore up the starting pitching.

I mean looking back considering how well Gonsolin and May were pitching in the regular season, I cant blame them. There was no way to foresee May being the mental weakling he is and Gonsolin suddenly becoming hittable in the postseason. We cant necessarily blame youth either because hell, Bryce Wilson looked totally in command against us in Game 4 and him beating Kershaw in that game was only a matter of time in my eyes even when the score was tied 1-1. Inexperienced Bryce Wilson of all people looked better against us than any other pitcher we faced.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We didn't have great options tonight, folks. We weren't going to throw Buehler on short rest this early in a series when he has blister issues. Just wasn't ever going to happen. Maybe it could happen if it were an elimination game and our backs were against the wall. But it was never going to happen tonight and I agree with that decision.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't have Urias as an option tonight to start. I am not sure what else we could have done. And look, honestly, they only should have scored two runs. Kike's misplay directly cost us two runs, and then in the following inning May threw possibly the worst 0-2 pitch I have ever seen, costing us two more runs. I think our pitching can still dominate this lineup, and as long as we win 2 of the next 3, we are in good shape. As for our hitters, we were still getting traffic on the bases after that 4th inning, even against their ace and best relievers.

Concur -- not much we could have done & despite the lousy pitching we were in it till the end. Would've been nice if the FO would've added a starter.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Well, that didn't turn out very well did it?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

What if we lose game 3? Then we don’t have Buehler available for a few games and our backs are against the wall. Tampa beat the Yankees with Cole in an elimination game so it can happen.

And even if we win game 3 and lose game 4, it’s 2-2 with basically a best of 3 series left and we have to rely on who for game 6?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

The regular season being so short didn’t help. May and Gonsolin needed more time to get ready. OTOH the Braves inexperienced pitchers did very well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

What if we lose game 3? Then we don’t have Buehler available for a few games and our backs are against the wall. Tampa beat the Yankees with Cole in an elimination game so it can happen.

And even if we win game 3 and lose game 4, it’s 2-2 with basically a best of 3 series left and we have to rely on who for game 6?

I think they could go back to Buehler on 3 days of rest for Game 6. While they didn't want to go to him in that scenario last night -- which I agree with -- Game 6 would mean that you are either trying to win the title, or stave off elimination. I think those circumstances are different, you throw caution to the wind, and you see if you can get 90-100 pitches out of him and 5-6 innings. If it then went to a Game 7, you have Urias also on 3 days of rest, with Kershaw on 2 days of rest and likely able to give you 3 innings or so if need be.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Games 3-5 are all on our favor. We just need to take care of business

What made you say that?

Buehler, Urias and Kershaw. Plus our offense is better than theirs.

This is why game 2 frustrates me. Imagine being up 2-0 and really having Tampa facing a steep uphill climb just to even up the series. And imagine what that could do to their confidence.

I didn’t expect a win in game 2 though. The team let too many starters go (Ryu, Hill, and even the version of Maeda we had were preferable to May/Gonsolin). Then Price didn’t want to play and that really hurt this team.

Yes we are the better team, but having May/Gonsolin start really does a lot to narrow the gap.

Of course, the front office didn’t expect to only have a 60 game season to get the younger pitchers ready. I wish at least one of them would be like Buehler was in his rookie year. He really gave a major boost to the 2018 team.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Lets put it this way. Game 2 was a 50-50 game that was tilted in their favor because of the Dustin May factor. Games 3-6 all favor the Dodgers in my view - even game 6 in a rematch with Snell. The only thing I would change at the time if I were manager is I would not have given May a 2nd inning. Sometimes you get beat making a great pitch. In this case, knowing he was a mental shrimp prior to this game, I would have had all eyes on him to see how his pitches are going. The flat slider to make the game 1-0 to 3-0 would have been it for him if I were manager. After he got the last 1/3 of the inning, he is not coming back or ever into the World Series.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
World Series 2020: Will Dodgers be OK if Dustin May, Tony Gonsolin don't contribute more?

Given the state of their pitching heading in, a loss such as this might have been expected. But it reinforced a problem that could haunt the Dodgers in what remains of this final round: May and Gonsolin, the two young starters counted on to be multidimensional weapons in October, haven't been effective enough. Whether that's due to execution or inexperience or their unconventional usage is anyone's guess.

"I still trust them, I still believe in them, and they just have to make pitches," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. "We'll look at the video and see what we can do better at, but they're still gonna need to get big outs for us."

May, 23, and Gonsolin, 26, combined to produce a 2.46 ERA in a combined 102⅔ innings during the regular season, placing themselves squarely in the thick of a deep field for the National League Rookie of the Year Award. Since then, they have been charged with 13 earned runs on 15 hits and 13 walks in 16⅔ innings in the postseason, and they haven't come anywhere close to a traditional five-day schedule.

The Dodgers traded Kenta Maeda, let Hyun-Jin Ryu and Rich Hill depart via free agency, and lost David Price after he decided to opt out of the 2020 season. Yet they sported the second-best rotation ERA in the majors in the regular season. May, with his triple-digit sinkers, and Gonsolin, with his nasty sliders, were a major part of that. They came on so strong that the Dodgers felt comfortable plucking from their starting pitching depth before the non-waiver trade deadline, sending clubhouse favorite Ross Stripling to the Toronto Blue Jays so that he could finally solidify a spot in a major league rotation.

But May and Gonsolin haven't come close to resembling the postseason weapons the Dodgers hoped they would be.

On Tuesday, Brandon Lowe, who entered with a .107/.180/.161 slash line this postseason, homered off each of them. With Julio Urias saved for Game 4, Kershaw scheduled for Game 5 and Walker Buehler lined up to take the ball in Games 3 and 7, May and Gonsolin will likely continue in uncertainty.

They'll need to adapt quickly.

"It's different, certainly," Roberts said. "But I still, we still, need those guys to get important outs going forward for us to win this thing."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30165580/world-series-2020-dodgers-ok-dustin-tony-gonsolin-contribute-more

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

^ Maybe, just maybe, being youngens and all, that having a regular and consistent routine would have been helpful in achieving a consistent outcome.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 186 of 300
Jump to: