PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Barnes is worthless.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Barnes is worthless.

It's a joke that this dude is in the majors. An absolute joke.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Big homer for Cody.

Also Kersh hitting 93 on his 4 seam. Mlb look out.

Is there a way to look up his velocity today? I’m very interested. Thanks
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Great, our top 2 bats are down with injuries.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I’ve been impressed with how Scott Alexander’s thrown the ball this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I’ve been impressed with how Scott Alexander’s thrown the ball this year.

Yeah he looks much better so far. I've talked about how good Ferguson looks too. I don't like Kolarek quite as much with the 3-batter rule, but he doesn't embarrass himself out there.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Barnes, with 3 K's, gets up 2-0 in the count and hits the weakest little pop-up you'll ever see for an out. Swung at a pitch at least 4 or 5 inches outside. LOL.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Barnes, with 3 K's, gets up 2-0 in the count and hits the weakest little pop-up you'll ever see for an out. Swung at a pitch at least 4 or 5 inches outside. LOL.

Get ready for playoff Barnes.

Think about this: Austin Barnes actually takes batting practice and works on his craft to be this bad. Imagine if he didn’t...

Barnes’ current ops is .347

I’m joking but I’m not...

Can we DH for Barnes instead of the pitcher?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see Kenley get a clean inning to close it out.

6-3 to start the season, feels like they should be even better record wise but they are off to a good start.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Get ready for playoff Barnes.

Think about this: Austin Barnes actually takes batting practice and works on his craft to be this bad. Imagine if he didn’t...

Barnes’ current ops is .347

I’m joking but I’m not...

Can we DH for Barnes instead of the pitcher?

Honestly, he's probably at risk of getting DFA'd if this keeps up for a while longer. I genuinely don't understand what the Dodgers see in him. Russell Martin's at-bats were nowhere near this feeble, and he's not a good hitting catcher either.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

6-3 to start the season, feels like they should be even better record wise but they are off to a good start.

Wasn't really clean, hit the lead off man and threw 21 pitches. Also, 7-3, should be 9-1 but blame Doc for that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Honestly, he's probably at risk of getting DFA'd if this keeps up for a while longer. I genuinely don't understand what the Dodgers see in him. Russell Martin's at-bats were nowhere near this feeble, and he's not a good hitting catcher either.

Yeah seriously doubt we DFA Barnes in a 60 game season with 50 left.

We’re not going to bring up a rookie catcher to be on the playoff roster.

We could make a trade for a vet catcher. Let’s see.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Wasn't really clean, hit the lead off man and threw 21 pitches. Also, 7-3, should be 9-1 but blame Doc for that.

It evens out. I felt we stole that extra innings game from the Astros.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I believe they’re 7-3.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

Clayton Kershaw averaged 92 mph on his fastball and generated swings and misses on 11 of 34 sliders while throwing 5 2/3 scoreless innings in his 2020 debut. He allowed just three singles and struck out six.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Here’s a question:

Does a 7 inning game count for no hitters and perfect games?

Complete games and shut outs?

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Shortened games

Under certain circumstances, if a game cannot continue because of the weather, darkness, or any other reason, but if at least five innings have been completed, the game can count as an officially completed game.

No-hitters pitched under such circumstances were counted before 1991, but no longer count as official no-hitters because nine innings were not completed. Pitchers listed in bold signify the pitcher was pitching a perfect game until the game was shortened. These games do not count as official perfect games.

In many instances, these games were shortened by regulations such as darkness (in an era before lights), rules to make doubleheaders seven innings (the second game, or both games, may be seven innings; still used in amateur and lower-level professional leagues) in order to avoid darkness from shortening games, or curfews, especially when teams needed to travel on regularly scheduled trains, buses, or flights (in the era before chartered flights).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or Russell Martin, who hasn't signed with anyone.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yup. I have doubts about Russell Martin as well for these reasons:

1) I think his price tag might be too high for us
2) We wouldn’t be able to offer him a starting job, other teams might
3) Covid situation + shortened season + missing so many games = not worth it for him to sign to play this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

3) Covid situation + shortened season + missing so many games = not worth it for him to sign to play this year.

You could be right, but also consider that he has been to the postseason a lot but never won a World Series. He can't possibly be holding out for a starting job any longer, nor a lot of money. He has to know what he is at this point. That said, if the Dodgers came calling and said, hey, you know the staff, Smith is the starter but we want you to be Kershaw's personal catcher at worst, maybe he'd take another stab at it.

In general though, I shouldn't get my hopes up. It's just so damn hard watching Barnes hit. I know he's regarded as a good game caller and especially a good pitch framer, but the hitting is just putrid. Put it this way: he's accumulated 3.2 WAR in his 6 seasons, and 2.4 of those came in 2017.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You could be right, but also consider that he has been to the postseason a lot but never won a World Series. He can't possibly be holding out for a starting job any longer, nor a lot of money. He has to know what he is at this point. That said, if the Dodgers came calling and said, hey, you know the staff, Smith is the starter but we want you to be Kershaw's personal catcher at worst, maybe he'd take another stab at it.

In general though, I shouldn't get my hopes up. It's just so damn hard watching Barnes hit. I know he's regarded as a good game caller and especially a good pitch framer, but the hitting is just putrid. Put it this way: he's accumulated 3.2 WAR in his 6 seasons, and 2.4 of those came in 2017.

Yeah, the reason why I bring it up is because some teams were kicking around his tires this offseason:

Quote:
Mets, A’s and a few other teams have checked in on free agent catcher Russell Martin. He’s turned down a few offers as he prioritizes a family situation, as @Joelsherman1 1st mentioned. But he’d still like to play.
7:46 PM · Feb 27, 2020

Yeah, I don’t think he’s holding out for a Starting job, but if and when the time comes and he decides to play this year, then he’s gotta weigh his options.

And, with injuries and opt outs, a starting job just might open up for him.

As far as money, it just has to be worth it for him to come back during this time. So many players are opting out and foregoing huge amounts of money. Russell Martin would be one of the few to choose to play for so little money (due to signing so late).

Again, it has to be worth it financially or the risks just doesn’t make sense. Yes, he could do it just to chase a title. I don’t know if it’s worth that much to
Him though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject:

^
It wouldn't be for the money. He knows he's basically a 1 year, $1MM type player right now as an experienced backup catcher (something in that ballpark, anyway), and he's certainly made enough money that he doesn't need another $150-250K or something (the prorated amount). It would be about trying to win an elusive ring, I'm sure.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I haven’t seen Kershaw look that good and pitch so effortlessly in YEARS. It was a weird feeling because I felt nostalgic, like I was watching a classic game from a retired great...but then I realized that it was a live game. Today was a great day. Looking forward to Walker tomorrow.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I haven’t seen Kershaw look that good and pitch so effortlessly in YEARS. It was a weird feeling because I felt nostalgic, like I was watching a classic game from a retired great...but then I realized that it was a live game. Today was a great day. Looking forward to Walker tomorrow.

I had to do a double take when I saw the velocity on his fastball. It’s not quite as good as it was in his prime. But at this point in his career I wasn’t expecting an improvement in velocity, especially after he recently got hurt again.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
It wouldn't be for the money. He knows he's basically a 1 year, $1MM type player right now as an experienced backup catcher (something in that ballpark, anyway), and he's certainly made enough money that he doesn't need another $150-250K or something (the prorated amount). It would be about trying to win an elusive ring, I'm sure.

Ok, you probably know Russell Martin better than me. I haven’t read anything about him to know how he feels financially.

One thing it seems though about players is that there’s no such thing as “enough” money. Betts was offered $300M from the Red Sox. That wasn’t “enough” for him.

That’s significantly more than Russell Martin has made in his career.

So I don’t know how to assess what is “enough” for one guy but not “enough” for another.

I do think they’ll try to get as much money as they can and at some point, it’s not worth it moneywise.

I do agree that some players do sign for the absolute minimum but I also think it’s cuz that’s all they can get. I doubt that any player would be willing to play for free because they’ve made “enough” money.

If Russell Martin does come back and signs a min contract, he’d basically be playing for free during this pandemic. I just can’t see anyone making that choice, especially when you see players opting out left and right.

There are players passing up good money to not play. I couldn’t see a veteran player choosing to play for free during this time. Especially if he’s made “enough” money already, all the more incentive to not play and enjoy his money and not risk getting sick.

Basically, I think players that would have considered playing for the min during a normal season wouldn’t do so during this time. It’s just not worth it. It’s even less than the min and on top of that, you’re risking getting sick and bringing it back to your family. I think you’d have to offer more to entice those types to play nowadays. Even if he was willing to play for free, I think his family wouldn’t feel comfortable and wouldn’t allow him to anyways.

I could be wrong but I’d be surprised if Russell Martin decides to come back for $100k.

Quote:
According to Jon Heyman of the MLB Network, Russell Martin has received interest from the Mets, Athletics, and a few other teams. It appears that the former Blue Jays catcher was non-commital and turned down offers with teams earlier in the offseason as he was dealing with a personal family matter.

Martin and his longtime partner Elisabeth Chicoine welcomed their second daughter into the world at the beginning of November. However, there is no indication that the newborn has experienced any health issues.

The 37-year old still has ambitions of continuing his MLB career and will undoubtedly find a job in a backup/mentoring role with a team in the coming weeks. Martin is a wealth of knowledge and still a prominent figure in an MLB clubhouse.

“Hear free agent vet C Russell Martin intending to play this season. Has turned down few opportunities to tend to family matter. Expected in next few weeks to be back in market and resume talks with teams about the 2020 season.”

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

We are still treated to watching one of the greatest of all time--still with the best ERA+ of any starting pitcher ever. I'm not sure if Kersh was that good or the D-Backs were that bad, but, indeed, it was a great game to watch--for a Dodger fan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 16 of 300
Jump to: