View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dodgers Postseason: Walker Buehler Starting Game 1 Of Wild Card Series; Clayton Kershaw Gets Game 2

Quote:
In aligning the order Buehler followed by Kershaw, both pitchers will start on an extra day of rest.

Yup, pretty much the way they set up the rotation.

Now who goes game 3? (Hopefully not necessary)

My nightmare scenario if the Dodgers lose Game 1: asking Clayton Kershaw to save our season. I've seen that movie before, and it usually ends badly.

As I mentioned weeks ago, I would have preferred him to start the first game, where there's less pressure. There's no way either guy could start again in the series, so that's how I would have done it. I just hope it works out.

Is this the year where both the Lakers and Dodgers win the championship at the same time? That would be awesome if this happen....now I wish my Niners can do the same but isn't looking good since Seattle is going to win it all most likely!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dodgers Postseason: Walker Buehler Starting Game 1 Of Wild Card Series; Clayton Kershaw Gets Game 2

Quote:
In aligning the order Buehler followed by Kershaw, both pitchers will start on an extra day of rest.

Yup, pretty much the way they set up the rotation.

Now who goes game 3? (Hopefully not necessary)

My nightmare scenario if the Dodgers lose Game 1: asking Clayton Kershaw to save our season. I've seen that movie before, and it usually ends badly.

As I mentioned weeks ago, I would have preferred him to start the first game, where there's less pressure. There's no way either guy could start again in the series, so that's how I would have done it. I just hope it works out.

Is this the year where both the Lakers and Dodgers win the championship at the same time? That would be awesome if this happen....now I wish my Niners can do the same but isn't looking good since Seattle is going to win it all most likely!

Ha, as good as Seattle's offense is looking, their defense has turned into basura. I'd still put KC and Baltimore a tier above the next grouping, which probably does include Seattle. (Wrong thread, I know!)
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject:

With the Santa Ana's supposed to howl this week, I just hope we can outslug the Brew Crew as we can expect some higher scores. Get their starting pitchers whopped around before they can turn it over to Hader and company.

For this Wildcard Series, hopefully DR's has these or similar lineups in mind...

Against RHP

Betts, RF (R)
Seager, SS (L)
Turner, 3B (R)
Muncy, 1B (L)
Smith, C (R)
Bellinger, CF (L)
Pollock, LF (R)
Pederson/Rios, DH (L)
Taylor, 2B (R)

Against LHP

Betts, RF (R)
Seager, SS (L)
Turner, 3B (R)
Pollock, CF (R)
Smith, DH (R)
Bellinger, 1B (L)
Taylor, LF (R)
Hernandez, 2B (R)
Barnes, C (R)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I hope Walker ends up being our Rondo who just finds a way to turn it up in the postseason; he has in the past but his regular season never looked like this.

Honestly I’m still all in on Kershaw. The only thing I hate isn’t the fact that he may have a bad game but that I’d have to hear about it for the entire offseason. Kenley is the only pitcher that truly worries me.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I hope Walker ends up being our Rondo who just finds a way to turn it up in the postseason; he has in the past but his regular season never looked like this.

Honestly I’m still all in on Kershaw. The only thing I hate isn’t the fact that he may have a bad game but that I’d have to hear about it for the entire offseason. Kenley is the only pitcher that truly worries me.

A bit concerning when comparing Kenley who can barely reach 90 on his cutters compared to say Rosenthal who consistently throws 99mph heaters then yeah.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Former Dodger World Series winner Jay Johnstone has died at the age of 74. He died of COVID-19 complications and had suffered from dementia for a few years as well.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29996720/jay-johnstone-two-world-series-champion-popular-prankster-mlb-dies-74
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Former Dodger World Series winner Jay Johnstone has died at the age of 74. He died of COVID-19 complications and had suffered from dementia for a few years as well.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29996720/jay-johnstone-two-world-series-champion-popular-prankster-mlb-dies-74

Tragic loss, didn't really know him much but will always cherish his brief appearance in the baseball scene from the first Naked Gun film.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Jay will be missed, a big part of the Lasorda era.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
However, the same can not be said for Gavin Lux. His 2020 season has fallen well short of expectations, and it now appears probable — if not likely — that Lux will be left off the postseason roster.

“With Gavin, I don’t see him making starts at second base in the postseason,” Roberts said. “The question now is having him on our roster, on our bench, coming in to play defense, pinch-run, take an at-bat, get the experience, I think is the question. Right now, where we’re at, I think we have different options.”

Quote:
Similar to Lux, Joc Pederson hasn’t been able to generate much consistency this season. Pederson recently was away from the team on two separate occasions — first spending three days on the paternity list, then for another brief stretch while on family emergency leave.

Pederson appeared in five of the final six games, with two of those being starts. Roberts admitted to giving his 27-year-old outfielder every opportunity to find a groove ahead of October.

“I think Joc has earned that, because of his performance in the postseason. Like with Gavin and everyone, it’s been a unique year,” Roberts said.

“Joc’s had some things he’s kind of dealt with off the field that certainly occupy his mind at times, and rightfully so. I just want to give him every opportunity to try to get locked in. After [Sunday], then we’ll sort of make a decision. At the end of the day we’ve got to go with the guys that feel give us the best chance to win.”

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-gavin-lux-joc-pederson-postseason-roster-outlook/2020/09/27/

And from Sports Illustrated:

Quote:
Lux finished 2020 with a .175/.246/.349 batting line, with three home runs and eight RBIs (all of which came in two games). He committed five errors in 34 starts at second base, which doesn't include several double clutches and otherwise unconverted double-plays. If you don't think the 22-year-old Lux is a Nervous Nellie on defense, you're simply not paying close enough attention.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Though this could be posted in the MLB thread, I suspect, with such a great interest in the Dodgers, it fits here as well.

MLB Starting Pitchers Will Have Less Rest This Postseason

Which teams are best set up to take advantage of the new playoff format?

This provides a great, at-a-glance, visual of each team's start five as rated by 538.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
However, the same can not be said for Gavin Lux. His 2020 season has fallen well short of expectations, and it now appears probable — if not likely — that Lux will be left off the postseason roster.

“With Gavin, I don’t see him making starts at second base in the postseason,” Roberts said. “The question now is having him on our roster, on our bench, coming in to play defense, pinch-run, take an at-bat, get the experience, I think is the question. Right now, where we’re at, I think we have different options.”

Quote:
Similar to Lux, Joc Pederson hasn’t been able to generate much consistency this season. Pederson recently was away from the team on two separate occasions — first spending three days on the paternity list, then for another brief stretch while on family emergency leave.

Pederson appeared in five of the final six games, with two of those being starts. Roberts admitted to giving his 27-year-old outfielder every opportunity to find a groove ahead of October.

“I think Joc has earned that, because of his performance in the postseason. Like with Gavin and everyone, it’s been a unique year,” Roberts said.

“Joc’s had some things he’s kind of dealt with off the field that certainly occupy his mind at times, and rightfully so. I just want to give him every opportunity to try to get locked in. After [Sunday], then we’ll sort of make a decision. At the end of the day we’ve got to go with the guys that feel give us the best chance to win.”

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-gavin-lux-joc-pederson-postseason-roster-outlook/2020/09/27/

Quote:
Lux finished 2020 with a .175/.246/.349 batting line, with three home runs and eight RBIs (all of which came in two games). He committed five errors in 34 starts at second base, which doesn't include several double clutches and otherwise unconverted double-plays. If you don't think the 22-year-old Lux is a Nervous Nellie on defense, you're simply not paying close enough attention.

It's the right choice. Lux simply doesn't look confident or ready at this level.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

Looking forward to the post season. Hoping for Dodgers and Lakers titles, would be so amazing, 2020 needs this

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's the right choice. Lux simply doesn't look confident or ready at this level.

Agreed, and I think the Dodgers have to strongly consider dealing him this offseason, as he still has so much team control left, which would be good for the acquiring team. He obviously has loads of potential, but a top prospect's value can plummet quickly. If he were to look bad at the MLB level for a second straight year in '21, the value really does drop precipitously. If they have doubts, get as much as you can for him as soon as you can.

If we moved Lux, we could get an extremely useful win-now piece or pieces. You'd have to think that the Indians would still have interest, so guys like Lindor, Hand, or even both could be in play (both are free agents after next season). If it were a blockbuster deal for both, perhaps the Dodgers send back the expiring Jansen to offset some of the salary increase (the Indians would still save a lot of money if they dealt them both), and the Dodgers would still have to send back more assets than just Lux if they were getting both players. Speaking of the Indians, I think my comment about a top prospect's value potentially plummeting is applicable to them. They traded top catching prospect Francisco Mejia as part of the deal to get Hand, remember. Hand has maintained his status as one of the top relievers in baseball with the Indians, while Mejia has not been able to put it together at the big league level. If the Padres were to move Mejia now, he wouldn't be able to bring back a star in return. The Dodgers could be risking that with Lux if he has another poor season in '21.

Would the cost-conscious Brewers have interest, with Josh Hader being dealt to us? Hader is getting more expensive, as he cost $4.1MM this year in his first turn through arbitration, and the Brewers reportedly were willing to seriously entertain offers for him at the trade deadline. He has three seasons of arb left after this one before becoming a free agent, and Devin Williams emerged as a shutdown reliever for them this season. Would Milwaukee look to cash him in as he gets more expensive? They don't exactly have a juggernaut team (despite their playoff appearance this year and I hope I'm not jinxing my Dodgers by saying that), and they may feel like moving him at a sell-high point as he gets more expensive is the correct course of action. (I'm guessing just Lux wouldn't get that done, by the way, though he would likely be the headlining piece for the Brew Crew.) Kris Bryant, who will be an expiring, is likely to get dealt by the Cubs, though he'll be coming off a brutal year. These are just a few names that immediately came to mind. I'm sure there are many players that will be on the trade block that I left out.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject:

Doesn’t make sense to deal Lux when his value is quite low right now. Can it get lower? Yes but him having a bad season during a pandemic year is hardly a sample size. People have taken notice of how bad he’s been this year and whoever deals for him isn’t going to give you anywhere near his start of season worth. Bit of a panic move based off a very small sample as I said earlier. Same went for Seager. Dealing him made no sense the last couple of years because he was always injured and his value was atrocious. Every time the kid got healthy and into a groove he got hurt again. Sometimes you have to let things play out. This year he was our best hitter. Go figure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

^
At least with Seager, the injuries were the excuse. (And I'll be the first to say I've doubted him many times, as my post history would show lol.) I guess you could say "Lux is young and still has time to figure it out", which of course could be true. But the very thing you said about the small sample size is something other teams might also be thinking. If Lux had failed over 162 games, it would be more cause for concern. I'm simply saying that if he also looks bad over a full season next year, you run the risk of him turning from a top prospect into a former top prospect and then you're SOL. If they believe in the kid, fine, don't move him. I'm just saying that if they have doubts, sometimes selling is the right move. He'd still bring back something good. He was the #2 prospect in all of baseball going into the year and it's not like he got a TON of at-bats.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'm just saying that if they have doubts, sometimes selling is the right move.

I remember when Giolito was the no. 1 prospect when he came up and struggled. Everyone said his fastball was too straight to succeed. Then he turned it around.

Arizona got rid of Trevo Bauer because they didn’t believe in him.

Should the Dodgers be having doubts? If they are, it’s partly their fault. He was tearing it up last year in AAA. If they were going to call him up, sooner would have been better (to give him more time to get acclimated). They waited until Sep, threw him in there as the new starting 2nd baseman then boom, after a month, a starter in the playoffs.

This year same thing. He was an untouchable once. They traded Verdugo to hold onto Lux. Verdugo’s a .900 ops centerfielder with 5 years of team control in the major leagues! And they chose Lux over Verdugo. That’s how high they were on the kid at the beginning of the year.

Should they change their minds now after so few ABs? Their track record says they know which prospects to hold onto and which ones to trade.

I don’t see them giving up on Lux. I think they still believe in his abilities to hit mlb pitching.

Now if you want to argue that we have no position open next year, then I’ll agree.

I think Chris Taylor is our starting 2nd baseman next year. 3rd might be open and they might move Seager to 3rd and maybe Taylor to SS n Lux to 2nd. That might be the plan.

It all depends on what happens with Turner and if there’s a DH.

Quote:
While it appears to be a meteoric fall from grace for Bauer, the third overall pick in the 2011 draft and the D-backs’ minor league pitcher of the year last season, Towers insisted the D-backs were not anxious to part with a pitcher who was virtually untouchable a year ago. He was included in the package, Towers said, because it was the only way the D-backs could get a shortstop they valued as highly as Gregorius. There have been numerous published reports of friction between Bauer and both the front office and teammates.
-- Jack Magruder, FSAZ

Quote:
How White Sox’s Lucas Giolito went from bust to ace-in-the making

Some prospects hit the ground running and live up to the hype immediately — like Austin Riley or Pete Alonso this year, or Juan Soto and Ronald Acuna Jr. last year or Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger in 2017.

Sometimes it takes years, as it did with Tyler Glasnow (before landing on the 60-day injured list with a forearm strain), a fifth-round pick in the 2011 draft, or another heavily hyped pitcher, drafted by the Nationals in the first round in 2012, named Lucas Giolito.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/01/how-white-soxs-lucas-giolito-went-from-bust-to-ace-in-the-making/

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Sources: Mike Clevinger still out; San Diego Padres concerned

Jeff Passan
ESPN

San Diego Padres right-hander Mike Clevinger is unlikely to pitch in the wild-card series and could miss the remainder of the postseason with an arm injury that did not resolve itself during a bullpen session Tuesday, sources told ESPN.

Also, Chris Paddack starting today for the Padres. Not sure what’s up with Dinelson Lamet.

Quote:
Hurt starters Mike Clevinger, Dinelson Lamet not on San Diego Padres roster

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Guys. We’re in the postseason again only this time we have Mookie freakin Betts! I still can’t believe it sometimes.

Imagine 3 years ago someone saying LA would get Mookie, Lebron, and AD...lucky to be an LA fan
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

The Brewers rookie phenom reliever, Devin Williams, has been left off of the postseason roster due to arm issues.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
The Brewers rookie phenom reliever, Devin Williams, has been left off of the postseason roster due to arm issues.

Pretty crazy if we lose this series. It's so stacked in our favor it's ridiculous.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Devin Williams, arguably the best reliever in baseball this season, has been left off the Milwaukee Brewers' wild-card roster with what the team identified as soreness in his right shoulder, a major blow to a team that was already dealing with injuries to its thin pitching staff.

The Brewers will also be without Brett Anderson, their second-best starter after Corbin Burnes suffered what might be a season-ending oblique injury, because of a recurring blister issue.

Brent Suter, who probably can't go any longer than four innings, will start Game 1 against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday night and will be followed by Brandon Woodruff on normal rest in Game 2.

A starter for a potential Game 3 on Friday is up in the air, increasingly more so given the latest developments. Anderson, with a 4.21 ERA in 47 innings this season, would have potentially made that start had he been available.

Williams, among the favorites for the National League Rookie of the Year award, struck out 53 of the 100 batters he faced in 27 innings this season while allowing only one earned run. That 53% strikeout rate is the highest percentage in MLB history by a pitcher with at least 20 innings pitched, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

Well, we know who is not on the playoff roster:

Quote:

Ken Gurnick
@kengurnick
·
1h
Dodgers taxi squad:

Scott Alexander,
Dylan Floro,
Gavin Lux,
Zach McKinstry,
DJ Peters,
Luke Raley,
Dennis Santana,
Josh Sborz,
Mitch White,
Alex Wood.

Everybody had Floro as a lock

Here's the roster:

Quote:

Pitchers (13)
1) Kershaw
2) Buehler
3) May
4) Urias
5) Gonsolin

6) Baez
7) Gonzalez
8) Graterol
9) Jansen
10) Kelly
11) Kolarek
12) McGee
13) Treinen

Position Players (15)

1) Betts
2) Seager
3) Turner
4) Muncy
5) Bellinger
6) Pollock
7) Taylor
8) Smith
9) Barnes

10) Beaty
11) Terrance Gore
12) Kike
13) Joc
14) Rios
15) Ruiz

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Wow, Brewers lose Devin Williams...
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
At least with Seager, the injuries were the excuse. (And I'll be the first to say I've doubted him many times, as my post history would show lol.) I guess you could say "Lux is young and still has time to figure it out", which of course could be true. But the very thing you said about the small sample size is something other teams might also be thinking. If Lux had failed over 162 games, it would be more cause for concern. I'm simply saying that if he also looks bad over a full season next year, you run the risk of him turning from a top prospect into a former top prospect and then you're SOL. If they believe in the kid, fine, don't move him. I'm just saying that if they have doubts, sometimes selling is the right move. He'd still bring back something good. He was the #2 prospect in all of baseball going into the year and it's not like he got a TON of at-bats.

Yes you’re right injuries were the excuse but Stu don’t forget that less than a year ago you said Lux was already a better hitter than Seager is. And I think that’s what makes you the best poster in this thread...you admit when you’re wrong. Nobody knows anything truly and you’ve been right on a lot of things. So obviously he’s not a better hitter yet but how much do you think has changed in this past year? A lot I guess - Corey did come back better than most expected and Lux literally fell off a cliff. But at the same time you know what Lux is capable of more than anyone - what can we even get back for him?

I never understood the Kemp trade..but you did. I wanted to trade Cody for a bag of chips after 2018 but you didn’t and look at the season he had. It goes on and on. We are just fans with our own biases and we hope for the best.

Anyways you’ve seen and know more about Lux than i do so maybe you’re right. It’s been a complete (bleep) show from the start this season w Lux. Very confusing. The whole “he’s not ready” from Doc at the start to him arriving and being an automatic out.

The one thing I will say though is if he does have superstar potential ..boy are we going to need him at that low dollar value with the money we owe in the upcoming years.

Oh and don’t be so hard on yourself with Seager..the kid was swinging like Adam Dunn on every first pitch for quite a while. LOL.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject:

^
It definitely comes down to whether or not the Dodgers think something is amiss with Lux. If they do, this winter is the time to deal him. If they believe in him, then I'm sure they wouldn't move him unless it were a real blockbuster and the player had multiple years of team control left. We'll just have to see. I'm a little concerned not just because he isn't putting the ball in play with authority enough (even though his overall approach and batting eye looks fine), but his fielding looks poor too. Maybe some of that is that he's a more natural SS, I don't know, but he has genuinely looked lost in the field.

Switching gears, big blow to the Brewers to not have Williams for this series. Woodruff is capable of shutting down a lineup, their Game 2 starter, and of course they have Hader, but that was a good development for us and an unfortunate one for them.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
It definitely comes down to whether or not the Dodgers think something is amiss with Lux. If they do, this winter is the time to deal him. If they believe in him, then I'm sure they wouldn't move him unless it were a real blockbuster and the player had multiple years of team control left. We'll just have to see. I'm a little concerned not just because he isn't putting the ball in play with authority enough (even though his overall approach and batting eye looks fine), but his fielding looks poor too. Maybe some of that is that he's a more natural SS, I don't know, but he has genuinely looked lost in the field.

Switching gears, big blow to the Brewers to not have Williams for this series. Woodruff is capable of shutting down a lineup, their Game 2 starter, and of course they have Hader, but that was a good development for us and an unfortunate one for them.

Big loss for baseball fans, that guy has maybe the prettiest/most mesmerizing change-up I've ever seen.

Here's what we are (thankfully) missing out on. It's like May's two-seamer at times . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 48 of 300
Jump to: