2020 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 298, 299, 300  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I saw that box score and saw he only went 1 inning and assumed it was just a random bullpen game as they lost a chance at the division last night
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Aaaaaand now we know why the Indians were willing to deal him, and why the return may have been a little light at first glance.

Sounds like you're saying the Indians knew that he was injured and dealt him to SD due to him being injured.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Aaaaaand now we know why the Indians were willing to deal him, and why the return may have been a little light at first glance.

Sounds like you're saying the Indians knew that he was injured and dealt him to SD due to him being injured.

I wonder if they were aware of his medicals, yes, but in that case I'm guessing that the Padres were aware of the medicals too. Which was maybe why the return was lighter than expected. Just a theory. As soon as the trade was made, I think most of us thought that the Padres got him for way less than expected.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I wonder if they were aware of his medicals, yes, but in that case I'm guessing that the Padres were aware of the medicals too. Which was maybe why the return was lighter than expected. Just a theory. As soon as the trade was made, I think most of us thought that the Padres got him for way less than expected.

Yeah, if the Padres were aware, they didn't really treat him with kid gloves. His last start, he threw a complete game 7ip shutout. (He got the bicep soreness after that start).

They treated him like he was a completely healthy player.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers trying a new tactic tonight with Julio Urias. They are using Joe Kelly to start then bringing him in after the 1st inning. He's been lights out all year after the 1st inning. Seems like it's not working tonight since Joe Kelly's already given up 3 runs in the 1st. Let's see how Urias does. They might do that in the postseason. Have someone like Graterol start the 1st and then bring in Urias.

Quote:
Dodgers using an opener before Julio Urías

Julio Urías won’t start on Wednesday against the A’s, but he will pitch at some point in relief. The Dodgers will instead start Joe Kelly as an opener, continuing to prepare for a myriad of options during the postseason.

Kelly pitched a third of an inning in relief in Tuesday’s win, throwing six pitches. “He’ll throw to three or four hitters, and that will be it,” manager Dave Roberts said on a conference call. “Then he’ll be down, and I expect him to pitch in two games against the Angels.”

Regarding the rotation, it’s as we discussed earlier today. Clayton Kershaw and Walker Buehler will start the first two playoff games for the Dodgers, in some order, but the rotation order after that hasn’t been determined. For later postseason rounds, all five starters will be needed. In the best-of-3 wild card round, only one game won’t be started by Kershaw or Buehler.

Roberts reiterated Wednesday that the club hasn’t yet decided who will start Game 3, if necessary. He also said multiple times recently that the club is open to using an opener in a game with one of the other three “starters” if the matchups were favorable.

For Urías, Wednesday’s relief outing, though extended, could be a preview of his wild card round role. Or perhaps a game in the later rounds if an opener starts.

“To give Julio an opportunity to pitch out of the pen, and feel it more recently, is a good way to prepare,” Roberts said on a pregame conference call.

The Dodgers did the same with Dustin May last Wednesday, bringing him in to begin the third inning in San Diego, a game in which he pitched 5⅓ innings. Roberts said he wasn’t sure exactly when Urías would enter Wednesday’s game.

https://www.truebluela.com/2020/9/23/21453328/dodgers-opener-julio-urias-bulk-joe-kelly

So far so good. Urias came in the 3rd inning and got a 1-2-3.

Stats:
3ip
0 runs
0 hits
1 walk
3 strikeouts
43-29 (pitches/strikes)

Maybe Urias is our new Maeda? Starter all year and then convert to the bullpen for the playoffs?

---------------------

Where does Seager finish in MVP voting? He's top 5 right?

1) Betts
2) Freeman
3) Tatis
4) Machado
5) Acuna/Seager/Ozuna/Trea Turner/Yastrzemski/Soto/Story/Ian Happ/Chris Taylor?

Dude is just raking. His offensively numbers are better than Betts now:

.328 avg
.380 obp
.615 slg
.995 ops

14 HR
39 RBI

Thank you Indians for not trading Lindor for Seager!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Treinen is pretty bad now

4.24 ERA

9 ER in his last 6ip

His ERA went from: 1.04 to 4.24

Man, I’m getting Ryan Madson vibes. Seems like Roberts loves Treinen in high leverage situations.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Postseason Pitching Staff

Postseason Pitching Staff

STARTERS
Kershaw
Buehler
Gonsolin
May

PEN
Urias
Floro
Kolarek
Graterol
Baez
Gonzalez
McGee
Treinen
Jansen

No Wood or Kelly
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Postseason Pitching Staff

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Postseason Pitching Staff

STARTERS
Kershaw
Buehler
Gonsolin
May

PEN
Urias
Floro
Kolarek
Graterol
Baez
Gonzalez
McGee
Treinen
Jansen

No Wood or Kelly

Each series has a different roster. For the wild card round, we only need 3 starters.

Here’s the roster prediction by the LA Times

Quote:

Dodgers Dugout: A look at a possible playoff roster

There are 28 spots on the postseason roster, three more than the usual 25. Let’s start with the mortal locks to make the roster:

Catchers (2)
Austin Barnes
Will Smith

Infielders (4)
Max Muncy
Edwin Ríos
Corey Seager
Justin Turner

Infielder-Outfielders (4)
Cody Bellinger
Mookie Betts
Kiké Hernandez
Chris Taylor

Outfielders (1)
AJ Pollock

That gives us 11 position players so far. I don’t think Gavin Lux or Joc Pederson are locks to make the roster, but I think it is highly likely they will.

Starting pitchers (5)
Walker Buehler
Tony Gonsolin
Clayton Kershaw
Dustin May
Julio Urías

Remember, once a playoff series starts, there are no off days, so unlike most postseasons you won’t be able to rely on just three (maybe four) starters. Rotation depth will really come into play here, and the Dodgers have one of the best 1-5 rotations in baseball. Of course, this is contingent on Buehler’s blister problem being solved.

Left-handed relievers (3)
Victor González
Adam Kolarek
Jake McGee

Right-handed relievers (4)
Brusdar Graterol
Kenley Jansen
Joe Kelly
Blake Treinen

That gives us 12 pitchers and 23 players overall. So we add Lux and Pederson. That gives us 13 position players and 12 pitchers. Room for three.

Let’s add two more pitchers. But who? A lot will depend on who the Dodgers face in the first round and how those pitchers match up with that team. But for now, I’m going to go with Pedro Baez and Dylan Floro. They have postseason experience. Floro has pitched well this season and Baez, well, he has postseason experience.

That gives us 14 pitchers and 13 position players, 27 players overall. Room for one more. First I’ll tell you what I would do, then what I predict the Dodgers will do.

If it were me (with the caveat that these decisions are a lot easier to make from the comfort of my desk), I’d go with Keibert Ruiz. Why? This allows the team to start Barnes at catcher and make Smith the DH, with a catcher remaining on the bench in case of emergency. I’d start Taylor at second, keeping Lux out of the lineup. Infield of Muncy, Taylor, Seager and Turner. Outfield of Pollock, Bellinger and Betts. Barnes behind the plate. Smith at DH. That is the best lineup. Hernandez can sub in late for defense if you have a lead.

However, I think the Dodgers will opt for a 15th pitcher. And with no days off, they may be correct. That means the final spot goes to Alex Wood, Josh Sborz or Mitch White. The spot probably goes to Wood, who can give then multiple innings out of the bullpen, if needed.

So, there you have it. That opening best-of-three series still scares me. If the Dodgers can get past that, then I like their chances. The Dodgers’ best-of-three series will start a week from Wednesday at Dodger Stadium.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/newsletter/2020-09-22/playoff-roster-dodgers-dugout

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Seems less than ideal that our apparent top 2 relievers aren't exactly getting the job done as the postseason is practically upon us, wouldn't you say?

Wood making the roster would be an absolute joke. He's barely pitched this year and he's looked bad whenever he has pitched. I'd rather call up some AA farmhand who throws 96 with good stuff. Wood has shown nothing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

https://blogredmachine.com/2020/09/10/cincinnati-reds-40-million-enough-re-sign-trevor-bauer/

Any chance we can get him? If he'll take a monster 1 year contract at a time to contend would the Dodgers go for it? He's already said he'd like to pitch for us and tbh, I freaking love the guy. He's gone in hard against the Astros like no other player and that my friends makes him A-ok in my book.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
https://blogredmachine.com/2020/09/10/cincinnati-reds-40-million-enough-re-sign-trevor-bauer/

Any chance we can get him? If he'll take a monster 1 year contract at a time to contend would the Dodgers go for it? He's already said he'd like to pitch for us and tbh, I freaking love the guy. He's gone in hard against the Astros like no other player and that my friends makes him A-ok in my book.

If he really is serious about a 1-year deal (I know he claimed that earlier), you'd think that we might have interest. However, our starting pitching is already so good and so deep that I wonder if we would feel like that was worth an expenditure like that. We have Kershaw and Buehler and Price back next season, and all 3 are obvious locks for rotation spots if healthy. Then between May and Gonsolin and Urias, it's already a bit crowded. Clearly, this version of Bauer would help a lot, though, so I wouldn't dismiss it. Ha, put May and Gonsolin in the bullpen. (That would suck for them!)

If I'm the Angels, who actually really, really need someone of his caliber in their rotation, I am outbidding us, though. What's the point of having Mike Trout if you aren't going to get any pitching? I guess Bundy was a nice find this year but I'm not going to declare him fixed after, what, 9 or 10 starts in another uniform? Anyhow, yeah, the Angels would need him far more than we would.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

If he really is serious about a 1-year deal (I know he claimed that earlier), you'd think that we might have interest. However, our starting pitching is already so good and so deep that I wonder if we would feel like that was worth an expenditure like that. We have Kershaw and Buehler and Price back next season, and all 3 are obvious locks for rotation spots if healthy. Then between May and Gonsolin and Urias, it's already a bit crowded. Clearly, this version of Bauer would help a lot, though, so I wouldn't dismiss it. Ha, put May and Gonsolin in the bullpen. (That would suck for them!)

If I'm the Angels, who actually really, really need someone of his caliber in their rotation, I am outbidding us, though. What's the point of having Mike Trout if you aren't going to get any pitching? I guess Bundy was a nice find this year but I'm not going to declare him fixed after, what, 9 or 10 starts in another uniform? Anyhow, yeah, the Angels would need him far more than we would.

Just looked up the Angels' payroll. They only have 4 players under contract for next year:

Trout ($37M)
Pujols ($30M)
Rendon ($28M)
Upton ($23M)

Total - $118M

Yeah, I don't know if they can take on another $40M contract. They still have a whole roster to fill.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

He grew up in LA and went to my high school (many years after me) and, yep, he has been quoted that he grew up a Dodger fan and would love to come home and play.

Whether or not that was lip service, who knows? But would love him on the Dodgers.

https://dodgersway.com/2020/05/30/dodgers-news-trevor-bauer-play-los-angeles/

He's also gone after Aubrey Huff, Curt Schiling and continually goes after Rob Manfred so he's risen even higher in my book
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

2021 Dodgers Starting Rotation

Bauer
Beuhler
Kershaw
Price
Gonsolin

Trade May or Urias for farm depth

Kersh and Price coming up on FA so we need to develop pitching depth in the system
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Bauer
Beuhler
Kershaw
Price
Gonsolin

Kersh and Price coming up on FA so we need to develop pitching depth in the system

Given how fickle pitching is and how frequently a guy can get hurt, I would just keep May and Urias and ride em all, (bleep) it. I would even consider letting May and Urias tag team games - each goes out for one to two times through the order. Both get blown up after, but are generally amongst the best a couple times through
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Bauer
Beuhler
Kershaw
Price
Gonsolin

Given how fickle pitching is and how frequently a guy can get hurt, I would just keep May and Urias and ride em all, (bleep) it. I would even consider letting May and Urias tag team games - each goes out for one to two times through the order. Both get blown up after, but are generally amongst the best a couple times through

Good call but by next year it's safe to assume White or Gray may be ready to jump to the big team full time so one of our regulars could get squeezed.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Signing Bauer is going to cost us Seager (even a 1 year deal). We're already over the luxury tax this year. If we sign Bauer next year, we'll be over the luxury tax a 2nd straight year. Once Seager comes up on free agency, we'll probably be over the luxury tax for a 3rd consecutive year and the penalties will be brutal.

Clevinger update:

Quote:
SEPT. 24: Clevinger has a sprained elbow, and the Padres won’t know until Sunday or perhaps at the beginning of next week whether he’ll be able to resume throwing this season, according to Acee.

Quote:
There is significant optimism that San Diego Padres pitcher Mike Clevinger avoided a serious injury, according to league sources. He received additional tests today and while nothing is official, there is hope he will be able to pitch at some point in the postseason.

— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) September 24, 2020

Quote:
The Padres are holding out hope right-hander Mike Clevinger will pitch for them in the postseason, even as they privately acknowledge the odds are against it happening.

The initial diagnosis after an MRI and X-rays is a sprained right elbow. The team has received some feedback after consulting additional experts that Clevinger could pitch for them in October, although at what point is unknown. Two sources said the team won’t know until Sunday or even early next week whether Clevinger will be able to resume throwing this season.

Clevinger, who had Tommy John surgery in 2012, was acquired from Cleveland in an Aug. 31 trade that involved the Padres sending three major leaguers and three of their top 11 prospects to the Indians.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Because of the financial implications noted above, it's hard for me to see the Dodgers committing such major money to a starting pitcher, even if it's only for one season. I think it's probably more likely they trade for an ace if necessary, and they may feel it's simply not necessary given what we already have.

As for the Angels, yeah, they have a few players taking up a major portion of their budget. However, as I said before, are you trying to win with Trout or not? What's the point of having him if you aren't trying to win? Pujols expires after next year, and maybe Moreno is getting really tired of losing and will be OK with increasing the budget for one year. They'll also let Simmons go to free agency, which was a $15MM hit to their books this year, and Teheran cost them $9MM. Hansel Robles ($3.9MM this year) and Cam Bedrosian ($2.8MM) could be non-tenders, though Bundy and Heaney will get arb raises. Still, they could look at the Simmons/Teheran savings as being worth increasing the budget for Bauer. They clearly need someone like Bauer. Maybe they will get desperate.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Might as well look at the Dodgers' payroll too. As far as money coming off the books, it looks like this:

Turner $20MM
Treinen $10MM
Joc $7.8MM
Kike $5.9MM
Baez $4MM
Wood $4MM

OK, so that's almost $52MM coming off. That's the good news. However, I think there's a good chance that Turner comes back, though at a reduced salary (perhaps a short-term deal at $15MM per year or so). But beyond that, you have arb raises for Bellinger and Seager, plus Muncy's extension kicks in. Muncy goes from $2.5MM to $9MM next season, and I'm guessing Bellinger goes from $11.5MM to close to $20MM and Seager goes from $7.6MM to close to $20MM himself. (Bellinger has one further year of arb left but he's starting from a much higher baseline as the reigning league MVP, so at the end of the day I think their salaries will be fairly close for next season. Seager will be getting top-10 MVP votes this year and maybe even top-5.) So if that's the case, let's say that's $27MM in raised salaries (Bellinger/Seager/Muncy) and $52MM coming off. But, again, I think Turner re-ups, let's say for $15MM. So that would only be about a $10MM savings before hitting free agency.

Obviously, a ton can happen between now and then. Maybe the Dodgers get bounced in the postseason and decide to splurge on Bauer and go into the luxury tax again, especially since they could theoretically re-set after 2021 because all of Bauer (if it's a 1-year deal), Kershaw, Jansen, Seager, and Kelly would come off the books.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Might as well look at the Dodgers' payroll too. As far as money coming off the books, it looks like this:

Turner $20MM
Treinen $10MM
Joc $7.8MM
Kike $5.9MM
Baez $4MM
Wood $4MM

OK, so that's almost $52MM coming off. That's the good news. However, I think there's a good chance that Turner comes back, though at a reduced salary (perhaps a short-term deal at $15MM per year or so). But beyond that, you have arb raises for Bellinger and Seager, plus Muncy's extension kicks in. Muncy goes from $2.5MM to $9MM next season, and I'm guessing Bellinger goes from $11.5MM to close to $20MM and Seager goes from $7.6MM to close to $20MM himself. (Bellinger has one further year of arb left but he's starting from a much higher baseline as the reigning league MVP, so at the end of the day I think their salaries will be fairly close for next season. Seager will be getting top-10 MVP votes this year and maybe even top-5.) So if that's the case, let's say that's $27MM in raised salaries (Bellinger/Seager/Muncy) and $52MM coming off. But, again, I think Turner re-ups, let's say for $15MM. So that would only be about a $10MM savings before hitting free agency.

Obviously, a ton can happen between now and then. Maybe the Dodgers get bounced in the postseason and decide to splurge on Bauer and go into the luxury tax again, especially since they could theoretically re-set after 2021 because all of Bauer (if it's a 1-year deal), Kershaw, Jansen, Seager, and Kelly would come off the books.

1) Muncy's extension kicked in this year already (as far as luxury tax calculations).

2) Turner only counted $16M this year (luxury tax calculations)

3) Our projected CBT this year is $217M (per spotrac). The luxury tax threshold is $208M this year.

It's projected to be $210M next year (per spotrac). So, we need to shave off $7M first before we start figuring out how much cap space we have to play with.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

Walker Buehler's curveball looks very sharp early today. A good sign with regards to his blister. Buehler has had a lot of conversations with former teammate Rich Hill about how to keep them from flaring up. The concern is that it can happen at any time.

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

MLB hasn't allowed the families of non-players to join them in quarantine, but Dodgers ownership arranged for those families to quarantine at a separate hotel so they can then join coaches, trainers, front-office exacts and other staffers in Texas for the other rounds if the team advances. "We're very grateful," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said.

Quote:
David Schoenfield
ESPN Senior Writer

Impressive four-game sweep for Cleveland over the White Sox. Just a few days ago the White Sox had what looked like a safe lead in the division. Now Cleveland is just one game behind them for second place -- and Cleveland owns the tiebreaker having won the season series 8-2. That could push the White Sox to the seventh seed and a wild-card series against Minnesota or Oakland. Or they can still win the division, in which case they would likely play Cleveland.

White Sox (34-23)
Indians (33-24)

-----------------------------------

Seager just went over 1.000 ops

.327 avg
.378 obp
.623 slg
1.001 ops

-------------------------------------

Why is Chris Taylor batting 9th tonight?

He's mashed right handers this year:

126 AB
.310 avg
.396 obp
.548 slg
.943 ops
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject:

^
Maybe Doc wants a good hitter batting in front of Betts? Could be what we do in the postseason.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Man, the mention of Rich Hill reminds me how much I miss him on this team. I wish he was still with us, he deserves a ring.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Note:

Kershaw came into the game with 47.1 ip. He needs 12.2 ip in his last 2 starts to qualify for stats leaderboard.

I'm guessing he only goes 5ip his last start so he'll need to go 7.2ip tonight. Right now, he's gone 5ip at a very efficient 63 pitches.

Kershaw has a chance to break Pedro's single season Whip record (0.7373)

Right now, Kershaw's whip is (0.7452)

His line tonight so far:

5ip
2 hits
0 runs
0 walks
5 k

Let's say he goes another 2.2ip w/o a walk or a hit. This is what his whip would be:

Kershaw could inch ahead of Pedro tonight!

Plus, as of right now, Kershaw is a qualified pitcher. That means for the first time, we can see his name on the leaderboard tomorrow!

----------------------------

Update. Kershaw gave up 2 more hits. He went a total of 7ip.

His numbers on the season now:

54.1 ip
2.15 ERA
0.7546 Whip

So, in his last start, he'll need 5.2ip to qualify for the stats leaderboard (60ip). I doubt that happens.

If he does go 5.2ip, then he can only give up 3 (hits + walks) to end up with a whip of (0.7333) which would be ahead of Pedro's (0.7373)

Looks like the dream is over. Kershaw already gave up 3 hits in 2ip.

He'll need 4ip of clean innings to pass up Pedro.

Nope, 4 hits now given up. He won't be passing Pedro.

Kershaw might be in playoff form now. Getting battered by the Angels now.

Yeah, it's easy to see when Kershaw is on or off. You can usually tell by the first couple of innings.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dodgers' lineup today is probably what you can expect when Clayton Kershaw starts in the playoffs — Austin Barnes catching him, and Will Smith as the DH because he's second on the team in OPS. The Dodgers will carry only 12-13 pitchers for the wild-card round, which leaves plenty of room for a third catcher with rosters expanded.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 46 of 300
Jump to: