LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Max Muncy now down to a .191 avg
Joc Pederson down to .188

Maybe they, and let's add Bellinger, just aren't swinging hard enough.

Yeah, man I’m worried about our lefties heading into the playoffs.

Quote:
Bellinger: .220
Muncy: .190
Pederson: .186
Lux: .171
Rios: .205
Beaty: .220

Hopefully the guys that have been carrying us all season (Betts, Seager, Pollock, Smith) don’t go cold in the playoffs...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

8-1 Dodgers.

Jansen time?

Yup, Jansen with the dominant performance to shut down the Astros and secure our 8-1 win!

————————-

Dodgers: 33-14
SD Padres: 31-17

Huge 3 game series starting tomorrow.

Kershaw vs Lamet tomorrow at 6:10pm
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject:

See? Jansen's fine. Just give him a 7 run lead every time.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Jansen must be a clippers fan.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject:

Retraction

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!

Last edited by DrWolf on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
I think alot of people overreacted after the blown lead on saturday night. It was just one game out of 60.

Yeah, every game is just one game. The "just one game" argument has been repeated for the last 2.5 years now.

If the Dodgers released Jansen right now, I don't know if there's another team in mlb that would make him their closer.

And we are the BEST TEAM in baseball. Let that sink in. The best team in mlb is using a closer that maybe no other team in mlb would give that role to.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jansen must be a clippers fan.

I think alot of people overreacted after the blown lead on saturday night. It was just one game out of 60. Additionally, we should know that Jensen is no longer the sharp shooting closer we have anymore, two blown saves in the 2017 WS and one in the 2018 WS that arguably put us in contention for a championship.

I hope that we can get a solid closer at some point, but who out there is capable of being that guy, i have no idea

It's more than a one-time game problem. At the risk of being redundant, what concerns me is his "stuff". He overuses that cutter. I have a theory on why you see Jansen frequently get two strikes on a batter, but cannot put him away. It isn't just the lack of a true "out" or "stop" pitch, it that the batters clearly see the motion and speed of his cutters, particularly as he challenges the batters with high pitches. They know the motion (which isn't much) and they can time it (easy to sit on lower speed pitches). That's more of what you expect out of a mid-inning long-relief man than a closer. Frankly I'd rather see Roberts experiment with other bullpen arms at this point.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Frankly I'd rather see Roberts experiment with other bullpen arms at this point.

It's either now or in the middle of the playoffs. There's very little chance that Jansen leads us to the WS title as our closer.

Even last year in the playoffs, he only had 2 appearances.

1) 9th inning of game 3 with us being up 10-4
2) 10th inning of game 5 with us already down (7-3). There were tons of high leverage situations in that game. Jansen was well rested (only pitched 1 inning up to that point) but Roberts opted for: Kershaw, Maeda and Joe Kelly before he summoned Jansen.

So eventhough Roberts proclaimed Jansen to be our closer last year (towards the end of the year and heading into the playoffs), it was by title only.

He didn't rely on him like he was our closer.

I mean, who brings their closer into an 8-1 game with a pivotal 3 game series vs. the SD Padres starting today? Did Roberts do that on purpose so that he will have an excuse to not use Jansen tonight? I mean, Roberts didn't even try to save Jansen for tonight, that's how much confidence (or lack of) he has in Jansen right now.

Jansen right now is our closer by title only.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

Retraction

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP

Last edited by DrWolf on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
You know what the thing is, if we released him he goes to a team then we play this team he'll torch us if this team is up 1, 2, or 3 runs. Look at Howie Kendrick, we had him, let him go, comes back and torches us on a GS of Joe kelly.

I am more fearful of the bullpen each time we go into the postpseason, we have blown so many leads its like how many games could we have won had each time they kept their composure. This time I just hope doc takes an all hands on deck approach during the playoffs this time.

Like I pointed out. He only worked 1.2 innings last year in the playoffs. ZERO high leverage situations.

When we needed our best relievers in game 5 last year, Roberts summoned Kershaw, Maeda and Joe Kelly. He was going to let Joe Kelly work 2 innings before he called upon Jansen. Only when Kelly faltered and gave up 4 runs did he call upon Jansen.

So, I'm not sure what it is that you are asking? If you are asking that Jansen remains as the closer by title, then yes, he's still the closer.

If you are hoping that "doc takes an all hands on deck approach during the playoffs this time" well, that's what he did last year. He did not rely on Jansen for any important situations last year. ZERO.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

Retraction

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP

Last edited by DrWolf on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Well, first you say that people are overreacting.

DrWolf wrote:
I think alot of people overreacted after the blown lead on saturday night. It was just one game out of 60.

But then you say that you want Jansen to no longer be the closer.

DrWolf wrote:
Personally I'd rather not have jensen as a closer no more. I dont trust him, but who knows whats going to transpire this post season.

But that's want EVERYBODY wants. Like you, people don't trust him right now. Like you, people want Jansen to be moved out of the closer role. If people are reacting the same as you are reacting, how do you call out other people as OVERREACTING?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

RETRACTION

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP

Last edited by DrWolf on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

DrWolf wrote:

DrWolf wrote:
Personally I'd rather not have jensen as a closer no more. I dont trust him, but who knows whats going to transpire this post season.

But that's want EVERYBODY wants. Like you, people don't trust him right now. Like you, people want Jansen to be moved out of the closer role. If people are reacting the same as you are reacting, how do you call out other people as OVERREACTING?

Buddy, calm down. I was just simply stating that people's reaction to the game was wrong, does that mean i am calling out everyone for not supporting Jensen? No i wasnt. I didnt say "all of you are wrong for not supporting jensen"

I am on board for jensen being removed, but i am simply stating it isnt the end of the season because we blew a 5-2 lead.

Yeah, that’s some fuzzy logic to say other people’s reactions are “wrong” but my reaction is “right” and they are basically the same reactions.

But as long as it somehow makes sense in your head, I guess that’s all that matters.

Quote:
I am simply stating it isnt the end of the season because we blew a 5-2 lead.

No need to exaggerate to make a point. No one claimed losing one game was the end of the season. No one reacted in that way. No need to exaggerate...

But for clarification sakes, can you provide some quotes of people overreacting to this game?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DrWolf wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

DrWolf wrote:

DrWolf wrote:

Buddy, calm down. I was just simply stating that people's reaction to the game was wrong, does that mean i am calling out everyone for not supporting Jensen? No i wasnt. I didnt say "all of you are wrong for not supporting jensen"

I am on board for jensen being removed, but i am simply stating it isnt the end of the season because we blew a 5-2 lead.

Yeah, that’s some fuzzy logic to say other people’s reactions are “wrong” but my reaction is “right” and they are basically the same reactions.

But as long as it somehow makes sense in your head, I guess that’s all that matters.

Quote:
I am simply stating it isnt the end of the season because we blew a 5-2 lead.

No need to exaggerate to make a point. No one claimed losing one game was the end of the season. No one reacted in that way. No need to exaggerate...

But for clarification sakes, can you provide some quotes of people overreacting to this game?

I retract.. What i intended to say came out the wrong way.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

This isn’t a reaction based on one game though — it’s the straw the broke the camels back.

It’s been 3 seasons now that we can’t trust Jansen. He shows signs of improvement after struggling only to return to struggle again, or he has an injury or his heart ailment which are valid reasons for him to underperform so we assume when he’s healthy he will be a reliable guy even if he’s never dominant. But he’s proven he’s not reliable in high leverage situations anymore. So with a few weeks before the postseason it’s time to prepare another guy to at the very least share the closer role if not take it over entirely.

It’s the old adage of “fool me once” but due to making excuses for his poor pitching over the years we’ve been fooled a dozen times so far. And we’re no longer gonna put up with it. He’s been given way too many chances and it’s time to move on from him in that role.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
This isn’t a reaction based on one game though — it’s the straw the broke the camels back.

It’s been 3 seasons now that we can’t trust Jansen. He shows signs of improvement after struggling only to return to struggle again, or he has an injury or his heart ailment which are valid reasons for him to underperform so we assume when he’s healthy he will be a reliable guy even if he’s never dominant. But he’s proven he’s not reliable in high leverage situations anymore. So with a few weeks before the postseason it’s time to prepare another guy to at the very least share the closer role if not take it over entirely.

It’s the old adage of “fool me once” but due to making excuses for his poor pitching over the years we’ve been fooled a dozen times so far. And we’re no longer gonna put up with it. He’s been given way too many chances and it’s time to move on from him in that role.

I get it, but what i intended to say came out the wrong way and it looks like i meant i say i'm right and your wrong and thats not the case.

I agree that jensen needs to step back from his role though

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we got Dustin May back. He’s pitching vs SD on Wednesday in the series finale.

Now we just gotta worry about Buehler and his blister.

————-

I think Trevor Bauer is in the lead for Cy Young now

6.2ip
1 run
4 hits
2 bb

1.71 ERA now

deGrom leading NL with 1.67

Kershaw could get back into the Cy Young conversation tonight if he mows down the SD Padres. Probably needs 7-8ip w/ 0 runs.

Kershaw’s ERA right now is 1.98. If he goes 7ip w/ 0 runs, his ERA falls to 1.69

If he goes 8ip w/ 0 runs, his ERA falls to: 1.65

Somehow Kershaw needs to overtake deGrom, Bauer n Darvish; all with better resumes than he does.

—————————

Kershaw really sharp tonight. Much different pitcher from his last start where he couldn’t find the strike zone.

So far so good.

6 up 6 down

31 pitches so far.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw hitting 93 with the fastball.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kershaw hitting 93 with the fastball.

Quite a few times.

He’s dealing tonight

3ip
0 runs
0 bb

47 pitches, 34 strikes

———————

Such an exciting series. This is one of the most exciting/anticipated reg season series I can remember in awhile.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Wow, looking at our lineup tonight, our (3-8) hitters look pretty meek:

3) Pederson - .181
4) Muncy - .199

5) Taylor - .276

6) Bellinger - .217
7) Rios - .196
8) Lux - .167

So far, this group not doing much:

Pederson - 0-2 (2k)
Taylor - 0-2 (2k)
Rios - 0-2 (2k)

Lemet already has 8k tonight. All coming from this (3-8) group.

This is going to be a brutal playoffs if this is our lefty heavy lineup in the playoffs.

Well, we know at least we’ll have Justin Turner in there instead of Rios.

Man Pollock’s been playing so well, wonder if he’ll get to play vs righties over Pederson at any time?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

3) Pederson - .181
4) Muncy - .199

5) Taylor - .276

6) Bellinger - .217
7) Rios - .196
8) Lux - .167

Pederson - 0-2 (2k)
Taylor - 0-2 (2k)
Rios - 0-2 (2k)

This is going to be a brutal playoffs if this is our lefty heavy lineup in the playoffs.

Man Pollock’s been playing so well, wonder if he’ll get to play vs righties over Pederson at any time?

It's malpractice if Pollock doesn't start against everyone. He's hitting this year. Joc isn't. Hell, neither is Muncy. Or Bellinger, really.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw doing exactly like I said he must do to get back in the Cy Young conversation:

5ip
0 run
2 hits
0 walks
8 k
74 pitches

ERA: 1.76
Whip: 0.74

Looks like he can go 7ip for sure. Maybe even 8?

Dangerous 3rd time through the lineup coming up in the 6th for Kershaw.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

3) Pederson - .181
4) Muncy - .199

5) Taylor - .276

6) Bellinger - .217
7) Rios - .196
8) Lux - .167

Pederson - 0-2 (2k)
Taylor - 0-2 (2k)
Rios - 0-2 (2k)

It's malpractice if Pollock doesn't start against everyone. He's hitting this year. Joc isn't. Hell, neither is Muncy. Or Bellinger, really.

I'm looking at the box score and SD has a pretty insane lineup.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

3) Pederson - .181
4) Muncy - .199

5) Taylor - .276

6) Bellinger - .217
7) Rios - .196
8) Lux - .167

Pederson - 0-2 (2k)
Taylor - 0-2 (2k)
Rios - 0-2 (2k)

I'm looking at the box score and SD has a pretty insane lineup.

Yup, everyone pretty much having a great year for them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 41 of 300
Jump to: