2020 NFL Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Even if you space the seating 6' apart, you have the other problem of people congregating whenever they enter, leave, order concessions or use the restrooms. And unfortunately, many NFL fans tend to be more redneck than just about any sport other than NASCAR. I would expect many to flaunt any rule requiring masks.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Blitz247 wrote:
If the NFL can have thousands of people in the stands, why can we reopen?

If they do it like NASCAR does they can safely get hundreds (not thousands) in the stands. The Raiders have already announced that they won’t have fans at home. If the Rams and Chargers follow suit there will be two state of the art facilities that no one sees.

A race track is far bigger than an NFL stadium. It is much easier to social distance there. Even the smaller NASCAR track by size (Bristol Motor Speedway) fits 160k fans. If they were to have any fans I think they most they can fit this season is under 10k.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

The Ravens just released Earl Thomas, and are trying to weasel out of the contract for "conduct detrimental to the team". Thomas played well last season, but certainly not at the level that justified that bad contract.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The Ravens just released Earl Thomas, and are trying to weasel out of the contract for "conduct detrimental to the team". Thomas played well last season, but certainly not at the level that justified that bad contract.

feels like they may have more ammunition that we know about....read that the team leaders players council voted for him to be released. I would assume some real stuff has to be behind that.

Just speculating.

I know the rumors are the Cowboys....but the Bucs could use him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Blitz247 wrote:
If the NFL can have thousands of people in the stands, why can we reopen?

If they do it like NASCAR does they can safely get hundreds (not thousands) in the stands. The Raiders have already announced that they won’t have fans at home. If the Rams and Chargers follow suit there will be two state of the art facilities that no one sees.

A race track is far bigger than an NFL stadium. It is much easier to social distance there. Even the smaller NASCAR track by size (Bristol Motor Speedway) fits 160k fans. If they were to have any fans I think they most they can fit this season is under 10k.

I think the smaller tracks actually have more seating capacity that the larger tracks in regards to actual seats. I think it is because a track like Bristol can have seats all the way around the track because spectators can see the whole track.....but in Daytona, seats are only around 1/2 of the track....and unless you are high, you cannot see the whole track. I would guess they could put over 300k seating at Daytona without issue, but many of them would be able to only see 25% or less of the 2.5 Mile track. Daytona is massive when just driving by....
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

feels like they may have more ammunition that we know about....read that the team leaders players council voted for him to be released. I would assume some real stuff has to be behind that.

Just speculating.

I could be wrong, but it seems quite possible that the Ravens were collecting a dossier of dirt on Thomas for the express purpose of using the conduct detrimental clause. Fights during NFL preseason practice are not that uncommon. I'm divided on believing the litany of transgressions against Thomas, part of me believes he's an ass, the other part of me thinks that the team had PR ammo ready as they wanted to get out of that contract.

The Cowboys make the most sense. I doubt the NFL/NFLPA arbitration meeting will make a quick finding either way. That means Thomas would be best served going to the highest bidder. That would probably be Dallas as Tampa Bay doesn't have much cap space. Given the situation with Dak, I don't see a long-term contract for Thomas though.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Just speculating.

I could be wrong, but it seems quite possible that the Ravens were collecting a dossier of dirt on Thomas for the express purpose of using the conduct detrimental clause. Fights during NFL preseason practice are not that uncommon. I'm divided on believing the litany of transgressions against Thomas, part of me believes he's an ass, the other part of me thinks that the team had PR ammo ready as they wanted to get out of that contract.

The Cowboys make the most sense. I doubt the NFL/NFLPA arbitration meeting will make a quick finding either way. That means Thomas would be best served going to the highest bidder. That would probably be Dallas as Tampa Bay doesn't have much cap space. Given the situation with Dak, I don't see a long-term contract for Thomas though.

They wouldn't need a dossier...everyone knows that NFL contracts are basically written on etch a sketch.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Just speculating.

They wouldn't need a dossier...everyone knows that NFL contracts are basically written on etch a sketch.

Except when there's guaranteed money. NBA owners accept bad behavior that falls short of felonious conduct. The NFL owners are slippery with contracts as they are mostly exploitative employment-at-will documents. The exception is for the select stars who demand guaranteed dollars. It appears Thomas is one of them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Just speculating.

you may be right....just was surprised that the players on the team were supposedly against his return....usually players have each other back, especially a proven vet like Thomas. To be clear, I am assuming that part about the players is true, and only speculating overall. In the end, I doubt they get out of paying him his guaranteed money without some criminal act or something similar that I am not aware of....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Just speculating.

you may be right....just was surprised that the players on the team were supposedly against his return....usually players have each other back, especially a proven vet like Thomas. To be clear, I am assuming that part about the players is true, and only speculating overall. In the end, I doubt they get out of paying him his guaranteed money without some criminal act or something similar that I am not aware of....

He'll probably sign with a team like Dallas or Tampa Bay (if they can create the space) for about $7MM or so, and then I assume the grievance would be for about $3MM, since he was supposed to earn $10MM guaranteed from the Ravens this season.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

Brady on pumped-in noise: I thought it was one of the Colts' old tapes
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Yeah Brady knows a thing or two about 'tapes'.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Yeah Brady knows a thing or two about 'tapes'.

Eh, I suppose you're trying to reference Spygate:

Quote:
In Sept. 2007, Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella was caught on the team’s sideline videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals. Jets coach Eric Mangini – a former Patriots assistant – had tipped off security beforehand, given his knowledge of the Patriots’ system. Years later, Mangini admitted regret, saying that he was solely focused on the short term goal of beating his old team.

“I didn’t think it was any kind of significant advantage,” Mangini said of filming signals, “but I wasn’t going to give them the convenience of doing it in our stadium, and I wanted to shut it down. But there was no intent to get the league involved. There was no intent to have the landslide that it has become.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/01/30/spygate-rams-walkthrough-patriots-super-bowl

In a nutshell, it was legal to tape from the box or stands, but the Patriots set the camera up a few feet away from the stands at the field level.

It was nothing, other than a political act by Goodell to ingratiate himself with the rival owners.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject:

Yannick Ngakoue, finally, has been traded by the Jaguars to...the Vikings. Adam Schefter reports that the Jags are getting a 2021 2nd round pick, as well as a conditional 5th rounder that becomes a 4th if he makes the Pro Bowl, or a 3rd if he makes the Pro Bowl and the Vikes win the Super Bowl.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject:

Jags cleaning house.....

Jaguars waive Leonard Fournette after three seasons
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jags cleaning house.....

Wow, he's had troubles off the field, but he must have been a bigger cancer than I realized in the locker room.

If he can be trusted, he'd be a major upgrade on a number of teams. My guess is that someone steps up a trades for him before he officially hits the wire this afternoon. Tampa Bay is in win now mode, but they lack cap space. They could make a move, but they'll have to thin the ranks to the tune of at least $3 million to make it happen. Chicago is in dire need. New England has lots of bodies at RB, but no proven north-south runner in the stable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Jags cleaning house.....

Wow, he's had troubles off the field, but he must have been a bigger cancer than I realized in the locker room.

If he can be trusted, he'd be a major upgrade on a number of teams. My guess is that someone steps up a trades for him before he officially hits the wire this afternoon. Tampa Bay is in win now mode, but they lack cap space. They could make a move, but they'll have to thin the ranks to the tune of at least $3 million to make it happen. Chicago is in dire need. New England has lots of bodies at RB, but no proven north-south runner in the stable.

he would be a perfect fit on Tampa with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield....but given their cap situation and recently addding McCoy to backup Jones, I doubt they show interest.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

If it wasn't for the salary cap, I'd drop Shady and Rojo in a heartbeat for Fournette. Neither is remotely the equal of Fournette as a runner, and neither worth a damn in pass protection. It remains to be seen as to whether Tampa Bay's OL is less porous than last season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jags cleaning house.....

Someone drafted him in the 3rd round of our fantasy draft yesterday
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Leonard Fournette isn't good at football. Has averaged 4.0 YPC in his career. Had the third-worst broken tackle rate last season among backs that got any work whatsoever. Got a lot of carries inside the 10 yet scored only 3 rushing TD's all year. His production last year was simply because he got a lot of work. He wasn't good on a per-touch basis.

Maybe he turns his career around after a fire gets lit under him because it seems the league doesn't really care for him (no one would even give up a 7th round pick for him at his $4MM salary), but the data suggests he's not a good player.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

I don't know Stu, he looked like a pretty powerful runner. In the NFL more credit goes to the RB than is sometimes warranted due to the OL, but last season he managee 4.5 YPC for over 1100 yards, and had the ability to operate as a receiving back. I think he's a major upgrade for Tampa Bay and Chicago.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I don't know Stu, he looked like a pretty powerful runner. In the NFL more credit goes to the RB than is sometimes warranted due to the OL, but last season he managee 4.5 YPC for over 1100 yards, and had the ability to operate as a receiving back. I think he's a major upgrade for Tampa Bay and Chicago.

That's just it, though: he's not a powerful runner at all. He's a big man, yes. But he doesn't break tackles. He basically can break off a big run every once in a while once he gets a total head of steam. But he is slow until he can get to full gallop and, again, he doesn't break tackles. Derrick Henry is a big man for a RB but he is much quicker and he breaks tackles.

He might be better than David Montgomery, but that isn't saying much, given how awful he looked a season ago for the Bears. As for Tampa Bay, Fournette doesn't have as much burst as Ronald Jones does, though he's probably a better receiver than Jones is. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL, and "not good at football" may have been a bit harsh. But it's remarkably telling that teams weren't even willing to give up a 7th round pick for him at his $4MM salary. Shows that teams evaluate him at being worth perhaps only $1-2MM on the open market.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Saints' RB Alvin Kamara has had an unexcused absence from training camp the past three days and it is believe to be contract related, per sources.

10:47 AM · Aug 31, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That's just it, though: he's not a powerful runner at all. He's a big man, yes. But he doesn't break tackles. He basically can break off a big run every once in a while once he gets a total head of steam. But he is slow until he can get to full gallop and, again, he doesn't break tackles. Derrick Henry is a big man for a RB but he is much quicker and he breaks tackles.

He might be better than David Montgomery, but that isn't saying much, given how awful he looked a season ago for the Bears. As for Tampa Bay, Fournette doesn't have as much burst as Ronald Jones does, though he's probably a better receiver than Jones is. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL, and "not good at football" may have been a bit harsh. But it's remarkably telling that teams weren't even willing to give up a 7th round pick for him at his $4MM salary. Shows that teams evaluate him at being worth perhaps only $1-2MM on the open market.

In Tampa Bay's case, it's a Brady-centric offense. Jones and McCoy are both poor pass blockers who work behind an OL that is at best unproven, and quite porous last season. Brady likes RBs who can catch the ball, Fournette is better than either McCoy or Jones. There isn't a White, Vereen or Falk on that TB roster. I wasn't aware of the tackle-breaking/slipping stat, that is a concern, but Fournette shouldered a load last season against defenses that weren't afraid of Gardner Minshew.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

In Tampa Bay's case, it's a Brady-centric offense. Jones and McCoy are both poor pass blockers who work behind an OL that is at best unproven, and quite porous last season. Brady likes RBs who can catch the ball, Fournette is better than either McCoy or Jones. There isn't a White, Vereen or Falk on that TB roster. I wasn't aware of the tackle-breaking/slipping stat, that is a concern, but Fournette shouldered a load last season against defenses that weren't afraid of Gardner Minshew.

I don't think Fournette is a particularly good receiver, but they just played him in that role so he had a lot of passing down volume. I know Tampa Bay drafted Vaughn because they think he has the skill-set to play every down. Granted, in this year with limited practices, he's probably not going to be counted on for a big role, and certainly not initially.

I could see the Eagles having interest. Pederson has been loathe to give one back a huge workload, Miles Sanders is currently nursing a hamstring injury, and Philly recently employed a similar back in Jordan Howard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27
Jump to: