2020 NFL Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm not counting out the Pats until I see that dead rotting corpse themselves even if they are the worst team in the league next year they can still get Trevor Lawrence
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Definitely a need for the Saints, they are rebuilding that O line. Depth was a problem last season.

was looking at the 2019 draft, and I am still do not understand the Ruiz pick. The Saints used a 2nd Round pick last year on a Erik McCoy who was supposed to eventually take over the Center position. Are they moving Ruiz to Guard?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Definitely a need for the Saints, they are rebuilding that O line. Depth was a problem last season.

was looking at the 2019 draft, and I am still do not understand the Ruiz pick. The Saints used a 2nd Round pick last year on a Erik McCoy who was supposed to eventually take over the Center position. Are they moving Ruiz to Guard?

Or McCoy. One of them. They'll likely release or trade Larry Warford, who was good a season ago but who has a relatively high (like $8MM or so) cap #. They probably shouldn't have given a big extension to LG Andrus Peat, but they can't change that now. They'll hope for a rebound season for him. Honestly, Warford was good enough a season ago that a guard-needy team would probably be willing to give up at least a 5th round pick for him. The Bears really didn't do much to fill the void left by Kyle Long's retirement. Perhaps they could be a match.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Or McCoy. One of them. They'll likely release or trade Larry Warford, who was good a season ago but who has a relatively high (like $8MM or so) cap #. They probably shouldn't have given a big extension to LG Andrus Peat, but they can't change that now. They'll hope for a rebound season for him. Honestly, Warford was good enough a season ago that a guard-needy team would probably be willing to give up at least a 5th round pick for him. The Bears really didn't do much to fill the void left by Kyle Long's retirement. Perhaps they could be a match.

not going to pretend I have watched much film on either, but I thought I recall a talking head in the draft process suggesting that Ruiz could be an excellent Center in the NFL, but doubted his ability to excel in another position. He clearly is not a tackle, so I assume the person was referring to Guard. Again, not really sure why someone that could handle to role of Center could not handle the role of Guard.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

not going to pretend I have watched much film on either, but I thought I recall a talking head in the draft process suggesting that Ruiz could be an excellent Center in the NFL, but doubted his ability to excel in another position. He clearly is not a tackle, so I assume the person was referring to Guard. Again, not really sure why someone that could handle to role of Center could not handle the role of Guard.

The consensus was that Ruiz was the best interior lineman in this class, by a mile, at both center and guard. Center is probably his best position, but he can definitely play guard as well. I don't know who is the better center between he and McCoy. Brees hates pressure up the middle so they must have thought that getting the draft's best interior guy was important. We'll see what they do with Warford. Heck, maybe if they think he was too good to give up, they'll just bench McCoy. But I doubt that. They'll probably move Warford even if it's for a 7th rounder, just to clear the cap space. They are perpetually up against the cap.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

The Athletic plugged in the draft to their formula based on the consensus big board, team positional needs/fits, etc. and ranked all 32 teams drafts.

1. Arizona
2. Buffalo
3. Dallas
4. Cleveland
5. Baltimore
6. Tampa Bay
7. Cincinnati
8. N.Y. Jets
9. Minnesota
10. Denver
11. Carolina
12. Houston
13. N.Y. Giants
14. Tennessee
15. Philadelphia
16. Washington
17. L.A. Rams
18. New Orleans
19. L.A. Chargers
20. San Francisco
21. Detroit
22. Miami
23. Las Vegas
24. Jacksonville
25. Pittsburgh
26. Indianapolis
27. Kansas City
28. Chicago
29. Green Bay
30. Atlanta
31. New England
32. Seattle

Even they know that this is mostly pointless in that only time will allow us to truly evaluate a draft. For example, if Love becomes an All Pro QB, then they likely have a Top 3 draft class regardless of what ever else happens.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Athletic plugged in the draft to their formula based on the consensus big board, team positional needs/fits, etc. and ranked all 32 teams drafts.

1. Arizona
2. Buffalo
3. Dallas
4. Cleveland
5. Baltimore
6. Tampa Bay
7. Cincinnati
8. N.Y. Jets
9. Minnesota
10. Denver
11. Carolina
12. Houston
13. N.Y. Giants
14. Tennessee
15. Philadelphia
16. Washington
17. L.A. Rams
18. New Orleans
19. L.A. Chargers
20. San Francisco
21. Detroit
22. Miami
23. Las Vegas
24. Jacksonville
25. Pittsburgh
26. Indianapolis
27. Kansas City
28. Chicago
29. Green Bay
30. Atlanta
31. New England
32. Seattle

Even they know that this is mostly pointless in that only time will allow us to truly evaluate a draft. For example, if Love becomes an All Pro QB, then they likely have a Top 3 draft class regardless of what ever else happens.

Some of my snap judgments to this list:

--There's no question that the top 5 teams on this list did really well with what they had.

--Tampa did give up a pick to move up just one spot and maybe didn't have to, but it's a minor quibble because they got the player they had to have and came away with other good values.

--I didn't like Cincy taking Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2, as I thought there were better WR's available and I thought they could have went for either a RT or a premium defensive player, but other than that I really liked a lot of their picks.

--The Jets did quite well under Joe Douglas, I thought, getting Mims almost at the end of Round 2 and trading down to do it. I also liked that they eschewed WR at #11 overall in favor of a tackle, because Sam Darnold runs the risk of turning into a battered David Carr behind a shoddy line.

--Minnesota should be higher for sure. They knocked it out of the park.

--I really liked what Carolina did, focusing entirely on rebuilding the defense, and I thought their first 3 picks yielded really good value.

--I have no idea how J'ville is ranked 24th here. Their first 3 picks were all really good, and they found potential gems in Round 4.

--Houston 12th? They maybe came away with 2 decent players, and their grade should further be marred because they traded a 2nd round pick for a 5-times-concussed WR in Brandin Cooks.

--Indy 26th? Yeah, no. They helped their offense with a win-now QB with Pittman and Taylor--take note, Green Bay!!!--and their 1st Round pick was essentially DeForest Buckner, which has to be factored in.

--I didn't like what the Chargers did, mainly because I don't like Herbert much and I didn't like the trade up for Murray, costing them a valuable Round 3 pick. This meant that they didn't have a single pick on Day 2, when valuable players would've been available to them.

--I didn't like at least a couple of Miami's picks, but they still got a lot of players that are going to make lasting impacts for them, and getting Tua at 5 and not having to give up capital to move up for him was a major, major win.

--Finally, I also agree that the bottom-5 teams were awful, but no one had a worse draft than Green Bay. Their first 3 pics, in conjunction with each other and given the team's situation, were genuinely as bad as I've ever seen, and not even a couple of decent value picks late in the draft can change that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
--Tampa did give up a pick to move up just one spot and maybe didn't have to, but it's a minor quibble because they got the player they had to have and came away with other good values.

I would like to know who Lynch used as leverage, and if it was real or a bluff.

I really did not like the Higgins pick when it was made....but it quickly grew on me. In recent years, I have become more likely to believe that players that had high level success in college at certain positions are likely to find a way to be successful at the next level....RB's, WR's, OLB's....positions that I do not think change a great deal in approach at the next level. Higgins falls into that category for me.

On thing that frustrated me in this draft, and it has been building in recent years....more and more "draft experts" treat the draft like Blackjack, and are adamant about these "rules". I understand guiding principles and strategy....but there just should not be unbreakable rules in a draft process.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The consensus was that Ruiz was the best interior lineman in this class, by a mile, at both center and guard. Center is probably his best position, but he can definitely play guard as well. I don't know who is the better center between he and McCoy. Brees hates pressure up the middle so they must have thought that getting the draft's best interior guy was important. We'll see what they do with Warford. Heck, maybe if they think he was too good to give up, they'll just bench McCoy. But I doubt that. They'll probably move Warford even if it's for a 7th rounder, just to clear the cap space. They are perpetually up against the cap.

As of now the plan is to move McCoy to guard and play Ruiz at center.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Low-key, I think New England could suck this year.

We will suck this year. My Dad still cant believe that we let Brady walk . I still can't believe we let both Brady and Gronk go . I don't know what Bellichek is thinking....

I find it a little funny how Patriot fans in the media suddenly are confident that Brady is no longer effective, and they are very concerned about Gronks health, and think he should have remained retired. I get it....I would not be happy to see my teams long time greats wear a different uniform. I honestly wonder if they realize this is just how their brain is rationalizing their pain/anger. I know personally as a sports fan, it is hard for me to be honest with myself when I am emotionally invested.

The truth is the Bucs were on the verge of being a really good team before Brady and especially before Gronk. There is a lot of high end talent on the roster...the rebuild was over. We just need Brady to be able to manage that talent and not shoot the team in the foot like Winston too often did last season. I do not think Gronk will alter the win/loss record of this team. It is nothing against him....I recognize his greatness in his career, but the TE position was solid before he got to TB. Not saying he will not have any impact...just not convinced his impact matches his star/celebrity status at this point.

I was one of the fans that still thought Brady was and still effective. Dude is a freak...he should be retired by now but he's still going. It's just sad the way he left. I think that Belichek (he is the GOAT coach after all) thinks that Brady isn't worth the money anymore so he decided not to pay him. There were rumors that NE was gonna give Brady the same deal he got in Tampa, but he decided to walk anyways. He looked sorta off all of last season and towards the end, I felt like he kinda phoned it in. It's just weird that he ended his career in NE on a pick 6... . I've been emotionally invested in the Pats and Brady since like 2001 (My Dad has been a fan since the 1970's!) so its still hard for me. I don't even want to see him in the new jersey or look at any Bucs stuff. Its like if Kobe left the Lakers; at least Kobe had the loyalty till the end.

Gronk's departure made me salty though. Guy says he's done with football forever and suddenly wants to come back...kinda messed up to keep the Pats waiting or whatever.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

I read on the Saints app that after his deal falling through with the Raiders, Eli Apple could end up back with the Saints.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

It’s official, Winston is a Saint.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

So officially, it appears that the Packers pretty much can't move Rodgers in 2020 or 2021 because of the massive cap # it would leave behind, whether they traded him or just outright cut him. And even in 2022, if they wanted to move on from him and cut him, it would leave behind a $17MM dead cap hit. And if they don't play Love for the first 3 seasons of his rookie deal, then it's practically pointless to have had a rookie QB on a rookie deal for so long.

Point being, you don't pick a 1st Round QB only to develop him. You take him to play him relatively quickly. It's just such a head-scratcher.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
adkindo wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Low-key, I think New England could suck this year.

We will suck this year. My Dad still cant believe that we let Brady walk . I still can't believe we let both Brady and Gronk go . I don't know what Bellichek is thinking....

I find it a little funny how Patriot fans in the media suddenly are confident that Brady is no longer effective, and they are very concerned about Gronks health, and think he should have remained retired. I get it....I would not be happy to see my teams long time greats wear a different uniform. I honestly wonder if they realize this is just how their brain is rationalizing their pain/anger. I know personally as a sports fan, it is hard for me to be honest with myself when I am emotionally invested.

The truth is the Bucs were on the verge of being a really good team before Brady and especially before Gronk. There is a lot of high end talent on the roster...the rebuild was over. We just need Brady to be able to manage that talent and not shoot the team in the foot like Winston too often did last season. I do not think Gronk will alter the win/loss record of this team. It is nothing against him....I recognize his greatness in his career, but the TE position was solid before he got to TB. Not saying he will not have any impact...just not convinced his impact matches his star/celebrity status at this point.

I was one of the fans that still thought Brady was and still effective. Dude is a freak...he should be retired by now but he's still going. It's just sad the way he left. I think that Belichek (he is the GOAT coach after all) thinks that Brady isn't worth the money anymore so he decided not to pay him. There were rumors that NE was gonna give Brady the same deal he got in Tampa, but he decided to walk anyways. He looked sorta off all of last season and towards the end, I felt like he kinda phoned it in. It's just weird that he ended his career in NE on a pick 6... . I've been emotionally invested in the Pats and Brady since like 2001 (My Dad has been a fan since the 1970's!) so its still hard for me. I don't even want to see him in the new jersey or look at any Bucs stuff. Its like if Kobe left the Lakers; at least Kobe had the loyalty till the end.

Gronk's departure made me salty though. Guy says he's done with football forever and suddenly wants to come back...kinda messed up to keep the Pats waiting or whatever.

I totally get it....just as a sports fan, I would have preferred Brady never wear another uniform. Winston's first and last pass attempt as a Buc was a Pick 6.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Saw a tweet a couple days ago that pointed out Winston has more completions to Saints players in his career than Taysom Hill has had in his career.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
So officially, it appears that the Packers pretty much can't move Rodgers in 2020 or 2021 because of the massive cap # it would leave behind, whether they traded him or just outright cut him. And even in 2022, if they wanted to move on from him and cut him, it would leave behind a $17MM dead cap hit. And if they don't play Love for the first 3 seasons of his rookie deal, then it's practically pointless to have had a rookie QB on a rookie deal for so long.

Point being, you don't pick a 1st Round QB only to develop him. You take him to play him relatively quickly. It's just such a head-scratcher.

There is a very narrow path for the Packers to come out ahead with the pick. If they develop him and do not start him until year 4.....and if the Packers are convinced that he is very good at that point, they may be able to sign him for an extension below market value for his prime years. Then he goes on to be one of the best QB's in the NFL for a decade in a Packers uniform. That is the only path to a win in my opinion because even if you can move Love for a 1st Round pick in the future, you have lost the time with a player that could have helped during the period of time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Saw an article recently that made a good point in regards to the Bucs trading for Gronk. Unless there is some fact that I am missing, why would the Bucs not wait until after the draft to negotiate that trade? It seems reasonable and even likely that they could have made the trade with a 2021 4th Round pick instead of giving up a 2020 4th Round pick....or even a 2021 3rd Round pick is likely less valuable to the Bucs than a 2020 4th Round pick if you consider their timeline to win with Brady and would be projected to be picking later in the rounds next season compared to this season. The Pats had little to know leverage. Gronk had most of the leverage, therefore the team Gronk wanted to play for likely had most of the leverage.

From the outside, it would seem like a slight mistake by the Bucs GM to not just wait a week.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Saw a tweet a couple days ago that pointed out Winston has more completions to Saints players in his career than Taysom Hill has had in his career.

Right now I would take Hill over Winston, hopefully Payton can work his magic.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Taysom Hill isn't a down-to-down QB. He's a gadget player. If they thought he was, they wouldn't have signed Winston in the first place.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Taysom Hill isn't a down-to-down QB. He's a gadget player. If they thought he was, they wouldn't have signed Winston in the first place.

They do think so and only signed Winston for one season. Hill hasn’t played much because they have Brees. Maybe they hit gold with Winston but more than likely he becomes another Bridgewater and moves on after the season. It is more than likely that he is nothing more than a reclamation project. Payton has shown the ability to develop QBs since the Giant and Cowboy days.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They do think so and only signed Winston for one season. Hill hasn’t played much because they have Brees. Maybe they hit gold with Winston but more than likely he becomes another Bridgewater and moves on after the season. It is more than likely that he is nothing more than a reclamation project. Payton has shown the ability to develop QBs since the Giant and Cowboy days.

I agree that Winston will most likely not be the starter next season, but I truly don't think Taysom Hill will be, either. I have seen nothing to indicate that he can be the starting QB on every snap.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The same Taysom Hill that was a low 3 Star recruit, played 5 years of college football, and his stats are a fraction of the once 5 Star Recruit Winston's stats in 2 years of college....also minus the Heisman Trophy and National Championship Trophy? The same 30 year old Taysom Hill that has completed 6 passes for 119 yards, 0 TD's and 1 Interception on a 46% completion rate in 3 years in the NFL compared to a 26 year old Winston who has completed 1,563 passes for 19,737 yards, 121 TD's and 88 Interceptions on a 61+% completion rate during his 5 years in the NFL?

The only person that would make that claim is a Saints homer or someone with illogical blind faith. Also, this claim by Winston about getting some great QB teaching beyond Bruce Arians is laughable. Let's compare the QB magic.....

Payton
1997 - QB Coach - Ty Detmer
1998 - QB Coach - Bobby Hoying
1999 - QB Coach - Kent Graham
2000 - 2002 - OC - Kerry Collins
2003 - QB Coach - Quincy Carter
2004 - QB Coach - Vinny Testaverde
2005 - QB Coach - Drew Bledsoe
2006 - Head Coach - Drew Brees (who was already a fairly established QB)

Bruce Arians

1998 - 2000 - QB Coach - Peyton Manning (Rookie)
2001 - 2003 - OC - Tim Couch (last time they made playoffs)
2004 - 2011 - OC - Ben Roethlisberger (Rookie)
2012 - OC/HC - Andrew Luck (Rookie)
2013 - 2017 - HC - Carson Palmer
2019 - HC - Winston - Led NFL is Passing Yards

Who has the QB magic?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

The same Taysom Hill that was a low 3 Star recruit, played 5 years of college football, and his stats are a fraction of the once 5 Star Recruit Winston's stats in 2 years of college....also minus the Heisman Trophy and National Championship Trophy?

The same 30 year old Taysom Hill that has completed 6 passes for 119 yards, 0 TD's and 1 Interception on a 46% completion rate in 3 years in the NFL compared to a 26 year old Winston who has completed 1,563 passes for 19,737 yards, 121 TD's and 88 Interceptions on a 61+% completion rate during his 5 years in the NFL?

The only person that would make that claim is a Saints homer or someone with illogical blind faith.

The same Taysom Hill whom the Saints gave a 2 yr $21M deal to vs. 1 yr $1.1M for Winston, despite everything you just wrote above....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The same Taysom Hill that was a low 3 Star recruit, played 5 years of college football, and his stats are a fraction of the once 5 Star Recruit Winston's stats in 2 years of college....also minus the Heisman Trophy and National Championship Trophy?

The same 30 year old Taysom Hill that has completed 6 passes for 119 yards, 0 TD's and 1 Interception on a 46% completion rate in 3 years in the NFL compared to a 26 year old Winston who has completed 1,563 passes for 19,737 yards, 121 TD's and 88 Interceptions on a 61+% completion rate during his 5 years in the NFL?

The only person that would make that claim is a Saints homer or someone with illogical blind faith.

The same Taysom Hill whom the Saints gave a 2 yr $21M deal to vs. 1 yr $1.1M for Winston, despite everything you just wrote above....

I do not get the point of your statement....are you claiming that you believe Taysom Hill is as good or talented QB as Winston? If that is your suggestion, that is a weird way to say it.....but what is your basis?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I do not get the point of your statement....are you claiming that you believe Taysom Hill is as good or talented QB as Winston? If that is your suggestion, that is a weird way to say it.....but what is your basis?

It’s not a statement. These are facts.

Taysom Hill got 2 yrs $21M

Winston got 1 yr $1.1M

You can look it up if you don’t believe me. It’s true.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 17 of 27
Jump to: