Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/23/808631806/officials-scramble-to-contain-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-south-korea-iran-and-ital

Just the beginning....now cities outside of China are locking down in fear of an outbreak.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/23/808631806/officials-scramble-to-contain-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-south-korea-iran-and-ital

Just the beginning....now cities outside of China are locking down in fear of an outbreak.

(bleep).
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

believe it or not, WHO chief said china virus peaked by early feb.
https://www.livemint.com/news/world/coronavirus-peaked-in-china-but-could-trigger-global-pandemic-who-11582569131505.html

hopefully china continues to be draconian about the quarantine.
city of wuhan almost relaxed the quarantine today before upper echelon nixed the change.

the problem now is whether the virus can be contained in places like korea, italy and iran, as well as any extremely improvished countries that will start getting cases.
i suspect korea and italy will be able to manage.
with pandemics, even iran matters as it could spread to the rest of the middle east.
iran cases are probably way under-reported.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Now we have 50 dead in Iran....I wouldn't be surprised if governments are under reporting the infection and death toll to keep people from panicking.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

here is the WHO website on the stats

http://who.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/c88e37cfc43b4ed3baf977d77e4a0667
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I have seen some odd headlines lately about the ORIGIN of the infection

I remember back when the very first bird flu hit.. and as they made a vaccination or whatever for it..
they decided they should intentionally create mutations so they could then find vaccinations in advance...
Probably SOP but.. whoa if it didn't sound (bleep) crazy..
lets engineer some super deadly bird flu viruii so we can study them.. and hope they never leak into the public

^^please forgive my not knowing exact medical terms..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/irans-deputy-health-minister-i-have-coronavirus
Iran’s deputy health minister: I have coronavirus

Quote:

“I wanted to tell you that I got corona,” said Harirchi. “I had a fever yesterday. The tests came back positive last night. I isolated myself. Just a few moments ago, I was told that the final test came. I’ll start taking medicine. Generally, I feel fine. I just felt a bit tired, I had a fever, and it will drop.

“Be sure with the effort of the medical staff and ministry of health headed by the [health minister] and with your support and the state and military within the coming weeks, we’ll be victorious against this virus.

“We’ll defeat corona. Be assured. I’m saying this deep from my heart. This virus is democratic, and it doesn’t distinguish between poor and rich or statesman and an ordinary citizen.

“Many might get infected, but we have enough effective medicine, take care of yourselves. Take care of the nurses and doctors who work heroically.”
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/irans-deputy-health-minister-i-have-coronavirus
Iran’s deputy health minister: I have coronavirus

Quote:

“I wanted to tell you that I got corona,” said Harirchi. “I had a fever yesterday. The tests came back positive last night. I isolated myself. Just a few moments ago, I was told that the final test came. I’ll start taking medicine. Generally, I feel fine. I just felt a bit tired, I had a fever, and it will drop.

“Be sure with the effort of the medical staff and ministry of health headed by the [health minister] and with your support and the state and military within the coming weeks, we’ll be victorious against this virus.

“We’ll defeat corona. Be assured. I’m saying this deep from my heart. This virus is democratic, and it doesn’t distinguish between poor and rich or statesman and an ordinary citizen.

“Many might get infected, but we have enough effective medicine, take care of yourselves. Take care of the nurses and doctors who work heroically.”

One of my best friends fathers has coronavirus, just not the strain that everyone is freaking out over. He'll be fine.

Here's the problem, or at least one of many - there are several strains of it and that is not something that is mentioned enough. What news outlets and health orgs aren't doing is getting that out there.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

So apparently authoritarian countries have issues responding to crises like pandemics.

Good thing the United States is...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

Senate hearings on coronavirus are going well:
Quote:
Matt Novak
@paleofuture
DHS Secretary Chad Wolf claims the mortality rate for coronavirus is similar to the flu, both at about 2%. Senator Kennedy says "are you sure of that?" and the secretary doubles down.

The mortality rate for seasonal flu is closer to 0.1%:

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1232385716463656960

Video at link
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So apparently authoritarian countries have issues responding to crises like pandemics.

Good thing the United States is...

Reality is if this thing hits the USA with the ferocity you see in China, I could see martial law being declared. People only think of themselves and don't care if they spread the virus.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

My mom works at a hospital where four patients are held currently. It's one of ten hospitals in the country that have special pathogen units. The hospital has told the public that the staff is safe and that the patients are doing fine.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
My mom works at a hospital where four patients are held currently. It's one of ten hospitals in the country that have special pathogen units. The hospital has told the public that the staff is safe and that the patients are doing fine.

which state is this?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Wilt wrote:

which state is this?

Washington state.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Good to hear!
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

229 cases in Italy now, 7 deaths there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
229 cases in Italy now, 7 deaths there.

Feels like real life of this movie...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

One of ten doesn't sound very reassuring
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

"Andromeda Strain"
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

at what point is the us going to quarantine travelers from italy/eu and korea for 14 days? there is still some time but not that much time...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Sacred Heart?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Sacred Heart?

Yep.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Sacred Heart?

Yep.

Spent a lot of time in that building and on that hill in my younger years as a group health courier.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Sacred Heart?

Yep.

I was born Sacred Heart Eugene, Oregon .. Country Roads.. take me home.. to the place where I belong West Willamette Valley
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

What would Trump do if one of his kids contracted Coronavirus? Nuke someone?

He will probably demand everyone eat more hamberders

Anyhow
UPDATED Coronavirus tracker: Gilead's remdesivir the frontrunner; We're seeing 'just the tip of the iceberg,' Gottlieb says
https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/coronavirus-outbreak-climbs-to-more-than-6-000-cases-track-pharma-response-here
Quote:
UPDATED: Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 9:07 a.m. E.T.

While drugmakers around the world work on potential treatments and vaccines, the World Health Organization sees the most promise in Gilead's remdesivir. An assistant director-general, Bruce Aylward, said there's "only one drug right now that we think may have real efficacy and that's remdesivir," as quoted by CNN. China plans to release results from a 761-patient study of the drug candidate on April 27, Bloomberg reports.

Despite the high recorded number of cases, the world is "just seeing the tip of the iceberg," former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a CNBC interview. Officials are only "detecting a small fraction" of the total cases in countries such as Italy, South Korea, Iran and Japan, he added, while testing in the U.S. is limited so far.

Why does April 27 seem like a century from now?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 4 of 318
Jump to: