Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Thanks to all of you for sending positives vibes all these weeks. Jodeke, thanks for the prayers. It has meant a lot.

He still needs oxygen for now and will continue physical therapy at home. And since I'll be taking care of him, I might be eligible for a vaccine. He will get his second dose next week, so I'll ask if I can get one, too.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Thanks to all of you for sending positives vibes all these weeks. Jodeke, thanks for the prayers. It has meant a lot.

He still needs oxygen for now and will continue physical therapy at home. And since I'll be taking care of him, I might be eligible for a vaccine. He will get his second dose next week, so I'll ask if I can get one, too.

Wilt: As your dad's caregiver you should definitely qualify for the vaccine. Great news about your dad.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

I got very, very lucky and got an inside tip for the Johnson & Johnson one-shot vaccine which is extremely limited here. But I somehow got an appointment! Will have to drive an hour and a half to get there next Thursday, but what a relief!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I got very, very lucky and got an inside tip for the Johnson & Johnson one-shot vaccine which is extremely limited here. But I somehow got an appointment! Will have to drive an hour and a half to get there next Thursday, but what a relief!

Great!

Finally more and more of my friends and relatives are getting their shots. I'm still in the "not qualified" status in my state. But hopefully soon.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Great!

Finally more and more of my friends and relatives are getting their shots. I'm still in the "not qualified" status in my state. But hopefully soon.

Thanks. Our state is like the Hunger Games. Too many people vying for very few shots on multiple very bad and buggy online appointment systems. "There are 50,000 people ahead of you and the wait time is 1 day." Good luck.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Great!

Thanks. Our state is like the Hunger Games. Too many people vying for very few shots on multiple very bad and buggy online appointment systems. "There are 50,000 people ahead of you and the wait time is 1 day." Good luck.

All I got was, "You can try again in four weeks".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
My dad's coming home on Monday!

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

good going, Wilt

hope he gets off of the o2 before Ramadan ends

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Andy Slavitt @aslavitt46

Vaccination update: After the largest single day of vaccinations...

First shots:
21% of adults
56% of 65+
66% of 75+

Getting there, after about 6 weeks of the Biden admin. Two thirds of the most elderly vaccinated with at least one shot.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Anyone know what's the deal with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine? I just found out as a restaurant operator I'm eligible for the vaccine. I'll take what I can get but definitely prefer 1 dose and get it over with.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
32 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Let me jump on the bandwagon, great news, Wilt!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Anyone know what's the deal with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine? I just found out as a restaurant operator I'm eligible for the vaccine. I'll take what I can get but definitely prefer 1 dose and get it over with.

I'm with you, as soon as I can get a J&J one dose, I'm there...!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

https://www.vox.com/22311625/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-johnson-moderna-pfizer

Quote:
But when Johnson & Johnson filed for an emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration for its Covid-19 vaccine in early February, it reported that its overall efficacy in preventing Covid-19 cases that produced symptoms was 66.1 percent. The Moderna vaccine and the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines reported efficacy levels around 95 percent.

That gap in efficacy numbers is fueling some people’s perception that the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine isn’t as good. However, scientists say that these numbers can’t be fairly compared to one another. The efficacy levels of the Covid-19 vaccines are specific to the clinical trials that produced them, and those trials were not conducted in the same ways.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

That and all of them have similar almost 100% protection against severe symptoms if you do get it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject:

There was a NYT article yesterday on all the vaccines. They are all good. If you take any of them, there is still a chance you may contract COVID, but probably won't result in hospitalization or death. I would take the first one that is available to you rather than wait for the one you think you want.

NYT: What Do Vaccine Efficacy Numbers Actually Mean?

Quote:
Efficacy is a crucial concept in vaccine trials, but it’s also a tricky one. If a vaccine has an efficacy of, say, 95 percent, that doesn’t mean that 5 percent of people who receive that vaccine will get Covid-19. And just because one vaccine ends up with a higher efficacy estimate than another in trials doesn’t necessarily mean it’s superior. Here’s why. (see article)

Quote:
So far, three vaccines — made by Pfizer and BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — have all been authorized in the United States after their trials demonstrated they surpassed the F.D.A.’s threshold. AstraZeneca and Novavax, which have ongoing U.S. trials, have published efficacy results from studies in other countries. Meanwhile, the makers of the Sputnik V vaccine have published results based on their trial in Russia.

For a number of reasons, it’s not possible to make a precise comparison between these vaccines. One vaccine may have a higher point estimate than another, but their confidence intervals may overlap. That effectively makes their results indistinguishable.

Making matters more complicated, the vaccines were tested on different groups of people at different stages in the pandemic. In addition, their efficacy was measured in different ways. Johnson & Johnson’s efficacy was measured 28 days after a single dose, for example, while Moderna’s was measured 14 days after a second dose.

What’s clear is that all three vaccines authorized in the United States — made by Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Pfizer and BioNTech — greatly reduce the risk of getting Covid-19.

What’s more, all the vaccines look as if they have a high efficacy against more serious outcomes like hospitalization and death. For example, no one who got Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine had to go to the hospital for a Covid-19 infection 28 days or more after getting an injection. Sixteen people who got the placebo did. That translates to 100 percent efficacy, with a confidence interval of 74.3 percent to 100 percent.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
32 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Great news
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I'm with you, as soon as I can get a J&J one dose, I'm there...!

Take any of them, prevents death and spreads, the percentage difference are for academia
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
Efficacy is a crucial concept in vaccine trials, but it’s also a tricky one. If a vaccine has an efficacy of, say, 95 percent, that doesn’t mean that 5 percent of people who receive that vaccine will get Covid-19. And just because one vaccine ends up with a higher efficacy estimate than another in trials doesn’t necessarily mean it’s superior. Here’s why. (see article)

For a number of reasons, it’s not possible to make a precise comparison between these vaccines. One vaccine may have a higher point estimate than another, but their confidence intervals may overlap. That effectively makes their results indistinguishable.

This is slightly misleading, because it commits a little bit of a strawman regarding the meaning of 95 percent efficacy, and it also misstates the meaning of confidence intervals.

That said, it doesn't change the central message of getting whichever vaccine you can get, asap.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

I would prefer to get the J&J vaccine.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Problem is the anti-vaxxers, not the efficacy of the vaccines. Rest of the world is getting vaccinated with Chinese vaccines which has less efficacy than J&J. Without getting vaccinated you have zero protection.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

y'all see the new CDC recommendation for fully vaccinated!!! Great isn't it!

Just guessing that after reviewing the statistics, the rate of transmission found to be close to zero for fully vaccinated

Summer... can't wait!

btw, good job Biden team, from less than 1 mil to 2 mil/day, expanding vaccine administration sites, more mega sites, straight from federal supply to chain pharmacies and next up local pharmacies (and yes, it's still grinds me that Trump team had months to plan for vaccine distribution and didn't do anything, just gave to states and told them to deal with it... don't even got me started on anti-mask, anti social distancing, sigh, if only, how many lives would've been saved)
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

There were close to 3 million vaccinated in one day recently. Not sure if that was a blip or if that will be sustained.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
There were close to 3 million vaccinated in one day recently. Not sure if that was a blip or if that will be sustained.

The number has been gradually trending up every day. That's what they are aiming for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 224 of 318
Jump to: