Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
^
Well written.

Powerlessness and loneliness are key.

Of course, the rest of us feel powerless and lonely all the time, but we are reasonable in the way we deal with it.

Those kooks feel that way because the politicians those kooks vote for have made the lives of said kooks worse.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder what the endgame of these anti-vaxxers is.

Same as the GOP’s. Tearing down the liberal establishment and institutions, including science.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Code:

California Covid Deaths for January 31, 2021
-----------------------------------------------
42,279,018 Tests Performed
   42,279,018 Results Rec'd (0 PENDING)
     3,243,348 POSITIVE
   39,035,670  NEGATIVE

Day.......#..Day........#..Day........#
1/01/2021 585
1/02/2021 386
1/03/2021 181
1/04/2021 97
1/05/2021 368
1/06/2021 459
1/07/2021 583
1/08/2021 493
1/09/2021 695
1/10/2021 468
1/11/2021 264
1/12/2021 548
1/13/2021 589
1/14/2021 552
1/15/2021 637
1/16/2021 669
1/17/2021 432
1/18/2021 201
1/19/2021 146
1/20/2021 694
1/21/2021 571
1/22/2021 764
1/23/2021 593
1/24/2021 429
1/25/2021 328
1/26/2021 409
1/27/2021 697
1/28/2021 737
1/29/2021 617
1/30/2021 638
1/31/2021 481

.....TOTAL 40,697

------Tableau
https://update.covid19.ca.gov/

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Update:

My dad is making amazing progress. And I'm not exaggerating because "amazing" is the word the doctor used. Throughout that month on the ventilator, the doctors were very pessimistic (though probably realistic) about his chances. That's why I said a couple weeks ago that it would take a miracle. I even asked one of the doctors in early January if he can make it one more week. And she said it was impossible. But something - a miracle, or whatever you call it - happened on January 18th and 19th. My mom, who is a devout Muslim, credits God for everything. When she's not at work, she prays. She has marathon praying sessions that last for hours. The doctors said many weeks ago that they did everything in their power. It's not as if they tried something new on January 18th, he simply started recovering suddenly.

Less than a week ago, he could barely say one syllable words. Today, he had conversations both in English and Bosnian. The nurse told me that he told her a long story about Yugoslav domination of FIBA basketball before the Americans started playing professional players.

He is still weak, but he's getting better each day.

He watched the entire Lakers-Celtics game yesterday in his room. First Laker game he saw since mid December.

His main problem is that his feeding tube, which goes into his nose, is bothering him and he keeps pulling it out. It's affecting his mood a lot. So we will talk to the surgeon tomorrow to possibly have a tube inserted into the stomach. If the risks aren't too high, we'll probably advise my dad to do it.

They will also try to give him some actual food tomorrow to see if his throat muscles can handle it.

My family sent a bunch of flowers and sweets to the ICU staff that took care of him for a month. Those are amazing people, especially the nurses. Even during his most difficult days, the nurses would always make sure to tell us not to give up hoping for a miracle.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Update:

My dad is making amazing progress. And I'm not exaggerating because "amazing" is the word the doctor used. Throughout that month on the ventilator, the doctors were very pessimistic (though probably realistic) about his chances. That's why I said a couple weeks ago that it would take a miracle. I even asked one of the doctors in early January if he can make it one more week. And she said it was impossible. But something - a miracle, or whatever you call it - happened on January 18th and 19th. My mom, who is a devout Muslim, credits God for everything. When she's not at work, she prays. She has marathon praying sessions that last for hours. The doctors said many weeks ago that they did everything in their power. It's not as if they tried something new on January 18th, he simply started recovering suddenly.

Less than a week ago, he could barely say one syllable words. Today, he had conversations both in English and Bosnian. The nurse told me that he told her a long story about Yugoslav domination of FIBA basketball before the Americans started playing professional players.

He watched the entire Lakers-Celtics game yesterday in his room. First Laker game he saw since mid December.

His main problem is that his feeding tube, which goes into his nose, is bothering him and he keeps pulling it out. It's affecting his mood a lot. So we will talk to the surgeon tomorrow to possibly have a tube inserted into the stomach. If the risks aren't too high, we'll probably advise my dad to do it.

They will also try to give him some actual food tomorrow to see if his throat muscles can handle it.

My family sent a bunch of flowers and sweets to the ICU staff that took care of him for a month. Those are amazing people, especially the nurses. Even during his most difficult days, the nurses would always make sure to tell us not to give up hoping for a miracle.

I'm sure seeing the Lakers beat the Celtics helps. Wonder news!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject:

That is amazing. So happy to hear!!
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
My mom, who is a devout Muslim, credits God for everything. When she's not at work, she prays. She has marathon praying sessions that last for hours.

People aren't always logical beings, and that works, sometimes.

Kudos to your mom (and jodeke)...for following similar paths in asking for help for your dad.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

It seems as though Biden's approach is making a difference.

Daily Covid Toll in U.S. Remains Enormous, but Cases Are Falling

LINK

Quote:
The past few weeks in the United States have been the deadliest of the coronavirus pandemic, and residents in a majority of counties remain at an extremely high risk of contracting the virus. At the same time, transmission seems to be slowing throughout the country, with the number of new average cases 40 percent lower on Jan. 29 than at the U.S. peak three weeks earlier

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Great to hear, Wilt!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Update:

This is a post I made on Jan 19th

Quote:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pm Post subject:

Good to hear. The news made me mist. I'll keep sending them up. 🙏🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Good news Wilt! And your dad gets to see Lakers beating Celtics!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Excellent news, Wilt! May he continue to recover and get better.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
N.Y.C.’s Covid Metrics Are Dire. Cuomo Is Reopening Restaurants Anyway

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s valentine to New York City restaurants has left close observers of the city’s coronavirus data scratching their heads. Mr. Cuomo said Friday that “on our current trajectory,” New York City could reopen indoor dining on Feb. 14, typically a busy day for the restaurant industry.

As the governor spoke, average per-capita case counts in New York City were 64 percent higher than when he announced an indefinite ban on indoor dining in December.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/02/nyregion/cuomo-nyc-indoor-dining.html

Quote:
Mr. Cuomo suggested test positivity rates for New York City had fallen by 30%, showing a chart depicting a drop, but using data points chosen from daily swings. https://nyti.ms/3tmyYWA

The numbers he used were the highest and lowest daily numbers in January to that point, extremes that did not reflect the overall trend.

The daily data, shown with a seven-day average to account for daily fluctuations, shows only a 17% drop, not 30%. https://nyti.ms/3tmyYWA

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1356701458935275521

Just in time for valentines day
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s valentine to New York City restaurants has left close observers of the city’s coronavirus data scratching their heads. Mr. Cuomo said Friday that “on our current trajectory,” New York City could reopen indoor dining on Feb. 14, typically a busy day for the restaurant industry.

As the governor spoke, average per-capita case counts in New York City were 64 percent higher than when he announced an indefinite ban on indoor dining in December.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/02/nyregion/cuomo-nyc-indoor-dining.html

Quote:
Mr. Cuomo suggested test positivity rates for New York City had fallen by 30%, showing a chart depicting a drop, but using data points chosen from daily swings. https://nyti.ms/3tmyYWA

The numbers he used were the highest and lowest daily numbers in January to that point, extremes that did not reflect the overall trend.

The daily data, shown with a seven-day average to account for daily fluctuations, shows only a 17% drop, not 30%. https://nyti.ms/3tmyYWA

Nothing says, "I love you" like keeping a pandemic alive.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Update:

Just beautiful.

If your dad gets the g-tube you should pour some bubbly in his bag while he sleeps.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing says, "I love you" like keeping a pandemic alive.

Well....yeah. So many people die of COVID in isolation, and their families often lament that they "never got to say goodbye and 'I love you.'"

This way, you take care of that before the fact -- you go out to dinner with them and tell them you love them, before they catch it and go into isolation.

And THEN you let them die.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

On my lunch break scrolling thru here....
Reading that update on Wilts Dad made my day.

So freakin glad to hear the positive news.

Hope your son is feeling better as well, DB.

Continue to stay safe, LG.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NEW: U.S. reports nearly 1.7 million COVID-19 vaccinations in one day, setting a new record

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1357479429799374852
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Went to the dentist today, cleaning and fillings. My dentist had his first Pfizer Covid shot. His second is scheduled for next week. I told him I had my 1st shot and was scheduled for the 2nd tomorrow. He asked me was I afraid. I said no. He said he was because he heard people caught the virus after the second vaccination. I asked him if he had any side effect from his 1st vaccination. He said no. I asked then why was he afraid to take the 2nd. He had no answer. This is a college educated man. Lies can penetrate and affect all levels. He said he'd call me to see if I had any after effects from the second vaccination. Honestly, I was surprised by his revelation.

NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Jeez...there is no way to catch the virus from the mRNA vaccines. But many people suffer a higher immune response from the second shot and feel like crud for a day or so...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

CNN: The US coronavirus death toll will reach 630,000 by June 1, according to a University of Washington model.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1357494812908412929?s=19
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

Yes, if he said people caught it AFTER getting the second vaccine but implied they got it FROM the second vaccine, then seriously, get a different dentist. His is a position that relies on science, standard of practice, and evidence-based decision making. If he demonstrates such a disregard for all of these regarding the vaccine, then he's not trustworthy, period.

For the record, the vaccine gets you into around the mid-90 percent for effectiveness, depending on which one. That means five percent of the people who are exposed will still get it, even after a full course of vaccination. No vaccine is 100 percent -- but the combination of personal immunity plus herd immunity means the virus doesn't spread widely -- so not only do you have a 19-in-20 shot of not getting it if you are exposed, but the chances of being exposed in the first place go way down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Has anyone bought or received novelty mask(s) they're going to keep for posterity/future use, or do you plan to toss them away like bad memories the second this is under control?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Yes, if he said people caught it AFTER getting the second vaccine but implied they got it FROM the second vaccine, then seriously, get a different dentist. His is a position that relies on science, standard of practice, and evidence-based decision making. If he demonstrates such a disregard for all of these regarding the vaccine, then he's not trustworthy, period.

For the record, the vaccine gets you into around the mid-90 percent for effectiveness, depending on which one. That means five percent of the people who are exposed will still get it, even after a full course of vaccination. No vaccine is 100 percent -- but the combination of personal immunity plus herd immunity means the virus doesn't spread widely -- so not only do you have a 19-in-20 shot of not getting it if you are exposed, but the chances of being exposed in the first place go way down.

Agreed with LC— this dentist sounds like he doesn’t understand science. He’s probably one of those quacks who still uses amalgam fillings despite the mercury content.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Went to the dentist today, cleaning and fillings. My dentist had his first Pfizer Covid shot. His second is scheduled for next week. I told him I had my 1st shot and was scheduled for the 2nd tomorrow. He asked me was I afraid. I said no. He said he was because he heard people caught the virus after the second vaccination. I asked him if he had any side effect from his 1st vaccination. He said no. I asked then why was he afraid to take the 2nd. He had no answer. This is a college educated man. Lies can penetrate and affect all levels. He said he'd call me to see if I had any after effects from the second vaccination. Honestly, I was surprised by his revelation.

Geez. What did the barber say while he was bleeding you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 219 of 318
Jump to: