Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
The first COVID-19 vaccine tested in the U.S. revved up people’s immune systems just the way scientists had hoped, researchers reported Tuesday -- as the shots are poised to begin key final testing.

“No matter how you slice this, this is good news,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, told The Associated Press.

The experimental vaccine, developed by Fauci’s colleagues at the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., will start its most important step around July 27: A 30,000-person study to prove if the shots really are strong enough to protect against the coronavirus.

ADVERTISEMENT
But Tuesday, researchers reported anxiously awaited findings from the first 45 volunteers who rolled up their sleeves back in March. Sure enough, the vaccine provided a hoped-for immune boost.

Those early volunteers developed what are called neutralizing antibodies in their bloodstream -- molecules key to blocking infection -- at levels comparable to those found in people who survived COVID-19, the research team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“This is an essential building block that is needed to move forward with the trials that could actually determine whether the vaccine does protect against infection,” said Dr. Lisa Jackson of the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle, who led the study.

There’s no guarantee but the government hopes to have results around the end of the year -- record-setting speed for developing a vaccine.

LINK

So how long until this is mass distributed and we’re back to normal?

I wouldn't know, but I'll hazard a guess: Late Q1 2021. Phase 1 was administered to a small population of volunteers beginning in mid-March for the duration of one month , and the news release just came out today. That's four months. Phase 3 will be conducted on a much larger population of volunteers (30,000) who will once again take the vaccine twice over a nearly 30 day span, beginning in late July. That means they'll have the results in late November. If that goes without a hitch, Moderna will have to mass produce the vaccine. That is an unknown, though they'll undoubtedly be prepared to ramp up production and distribution, which will likely take us well into Q1 of next year.

I have no idea what constitutes "normal" from that point in time.

So you don’t think spring 2021 college classes will be in person? I was hoping the entire population would be vaccinated by the end of the year...

Again, this isn't my field. If I had to guess, schools will stratify themselves based on location. Schools domiciled at locations heavily affected by the pandemic will likely opt to remain closed or go virtual. Schools domiciled at locations that are considered safe will likely offer both in-class and virtual instruction. Of course this also depends on any backlash should there be mass infections arising from in-class instruction this fall.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:
Four months before the presidential election, Ivanka Trump, adviser to her father President Donald Trump, is promoting a new ad campaign dubbed, "Find Something New."

Aimed at helping unemployed Americans find new careers, the initiative launched Tuesday with a virtual roundtable hosted at the White House featuring Ivanka Trump and business leaders, including Apple CEO Tim Cook, and a reveal of one of the ads, a 30-second spot with a handful of people telling their employment stories.

"Now, as a result of Covid, people need to, unfortunately, in some cases learn a completely new skill," said Trump on Tuesday during the launch. "But that is also an opportunity to be put on for a new trajectory for themselves and their lives and we want to facilitate that connection back to the workforce and make it as smooth as possible."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/ivanka-trump-find-something-new-unemployment/index.html

Brilliant. No tangible solution, just a bromide. And while Ivanka is it, she should tell the opioid addicts, "Just say no."

Just saying no is extremely difficult. Opioids attack the nervous system. From my understanding they are similar to heroin in that sense, they cause physical pain when trying to withdraw.

There's that whooshing sound again bud.

Nope. I don't take Ivanka serious. Just making a observation on opioid use.

Keep trying though. You may be right sometime. I am slow on the uptake. Not this time my ol friend.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:
Four months before the presidential election, Ivanka Trump, adviser to her father President Donald Trump, is promoting a new ad campaign dubbed, "Find Something New."

Aimed at helping unemployed Americans find new careers, the initiative launched Tuesday with a virtual roundtable hosted at the White House featuring Ivanka Trump and business leaders, including Apple CEO Tim Cook, and a reveal of one of the ads, a 30-second spot with a handful of people telling their employment stories.

"Now, as a result of Covid, people need to, unfortunately, in some cases learn a completely new skill," said Trump on Tuesday during the launch. "But that is also an opportunity to be put on for a new trajectory for themselves and their lives and we want to facilitate that connection back to the workforce and make it as smooth as possible."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/ivanka-trump-find-something-new-unemployment/index.html

Brilliant. No tangible solution, just a bromide. And while Ivanka is it, she should tell the opioid addicts, "Just say no."

Just saying no is extremely difficult. Opioids attack the nervous system. From my understanding they are similar to heroin in that sense, they cause physical pain when trying to withdraw.

Keep trying though. You may be right sometime. I am slow on the uptake. Not this time my ol friend.

Opioids are similar to heroin because Heroin is an opioid. 🤣 You're a funny guy, Jo!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Opioids are similar to heroin because Heroin is an opioid. 🤣 You're a funny guy, Jo!

Thanks I didn't know it's considered a opioid. Not being a user I'm not familiar with drug classifications.

Quote:
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.
Ain't no shame in my game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

CBS: "What do you tell parents and teachers who feel that it's unsafe to go back?"

Trump: "... You should find yourself a new person whoever's in charge ... because children and parents are dying from that trauma, too. They're dying because they can't do what they're doing.
"

"People are telling me they are dying of boredom in lockdown, and the fake news isn't reporting the death rates for this."

Last edited by DancingBarry on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ribeye wrote:
strong9 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cvballa wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^
Isn’t Orange County supposed to be one of the most educated parts of California?

It is, but its also the most Republican. And the Republican party is becoming the party of conspiracy theorists.

Many don't believe masks work. That is starting to change, but political partisanship often overrides logic and education.

Actually, it's not even in the top 15

1. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
2. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
3. San Diego-Carlsbad, CA
4. Santa Rosa, CA
5. Sacramento--Roseville--Arden-Arcade, CA
6. Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA
7. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA
8. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA
9. Vallejo-Fairfield, CA
10. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
11. Fresno, CA
12. Stockton-Lodi, CA
13. Salinas, CA
14. Modesto, CA
15. Bakersfield, CA

And many of the most educated in OC are amongst the most idiotic. Education has nothing to do with this.

Nice find, though no way would I have guessed that the later half of these would be more educated than Orange County.

Look at the source material. #8 is orange county + LA county lumped together.

No. It's a portion of Orange County, and a portion that apparently doesn't want to be part of it, as is evidenced by their attempts to associate themselves with L.A. County.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Thanks I didn't know it's considered a opioid. Not being a user I'm not familiar with drug classifications.

Quote:
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

FYI, cigarettes are similar to tobacco products because they are made from tobacco, and milk is similar to dairy products because it comes from dairy cows.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

FYI, cigarettes are similar to tobacco products because they are made from tobacco, and milk is similar to dairy products because it comes from dairy cows.

Crackin' me up there. Such a brat.

Good thing Jodeke knows how you feel.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

CBS: "What do you tell parents and teachers who feel that it's unsafe to go back?"

Trump: "... You should find yourself a new person whoever's in charge ... because children and parents are dying from that trauma, too. They're dying because they can't do what they're doing.
"

"People are telling me they are dying of boredom in lockdown, and the fake news isn't reporting the death rates for this."

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

"

The Mods are on a roll.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

LA County announced 4,244 new cases today. Best case scenario, right now is the most dangerous time to be out.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

California Covid Deaths for July 14, 2020
-----------------------------------------------

5,674,955 Tests Performed
....5,674,955 Results Rec'd (0 PENDING)
.......336,508 POSITIVE (+7,346)
....5,338,447 NEGATIVE

Day............#.Day............#...Day..........#
2/26/2020 0 4/01/2020 21 5/01/2020 91 6/01/2020 38 7/01/2020 110
2/27/2020 0 4/02/2020 32 5/02/2020 98 6/02/2020 35 7/02/2020 73
2/28/2020 0 4/03/2020 34 5/03/2020 44 6/03/2020 75 7/03/2020 100
2/29/2020 0 4/04/2020 39 5/04/2020 39 6/04/2020 61 7/04/2020 50
3/01/2020 0 4/05/2020 43 5/05/2020 63 6/05/2020 63 7/05/2020 18
3/02/2020 0 4/06/2020 24 5/06/2020 95 6/06/2020 74 7/06/2020 6
3/03/2020 0 4/07/2020 31 5/07/2020 92 6/07/2020 67 7/07/2020 111
3/04/2020 1 4/08/2020 68 5/08/2020 81 6/08/2020 27 7/08/2020 114
3/05/2020 0 4/09/2020 50 5/09/2020 93 6/09/2020 44 7/09/2020 149 (63 LA, 21 SBDNO)
3/06/2020 0 4/10/2020 49 5/10/2020 67 6/10/2020 79 7/10/2020 140 (46 LA, 26 OC)
3/07/2020 0 4/11/2020 68 5/11/2020 25 6/11/2020 105 7/11/2020 94 (49 LA)
3/08/2020 0 4/12/2020 42 5/12/2020 77 6/12/2020 62 7/12/2020 72 (55 LA)
3/09/2020 0 4/13/2020 36 5/13/2020 87 6/13/2020 46 7/13/2020 23
3/10/2020 1 4/14/2020 71 5/14/2020 98 6/14/2020 74 7/14/2020 47
3/12/2020 4 4/15/2020 63 5/15/2020 76 6/15/2020 26
3/13/2020 0 4/16/2020 69 5/16/2020 96 6/16/2020 32
3/14/2020 1 4/17/2020 95 5/17/2020 57 6/17/2020 87
3/15/2020 0 4/18/2020 87 5/18/2020 41 6/18/2020 82
3/16/2020 1 4/19/2020 94 5/19/2020 32 6/19/2020 70
3/17/2020 5 4/20/2020 42 5/20/2020 102 6/20/2020 64
3/18/2020 2 4/21/2020 60 5/21/2020 106 6/21/2020 71
3/19/2020 3 4/22/2020 86 5/22/2020 88 6/22/2020 20
3/20/2020 3 4/23/2020 115 5/23/2020 78 6/23/2020 65
3/21/2020 4 4/24/2020 93 5/24/2020 66 6/24/2020 52
3/22/2020 4 4/25/2020 89 5/25/2020 21 6/25/2020 101
3/23/2020 0 4/26/2020 59 5/26/2020 19 6/26/2020 79
3/24/2020 13 4/27/2020 45 5/27/2020 70 6/27/2020 60
3/25/2020 13 4/28/2020 54 5/28/2020 89 6/28/2020 33
3/26/2020 12 4/29/2020 78 5/29/2020 95 6/29/2020 31
3/27/2020 13 4/30/2020 95 5/30/2020 88 6/30/2020 44
3/28/2020 23........................5/31/2020 57
3/30/2020 34
3/31/2020 15

.....TOTAL 7087

------Source
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-161.aspx
------Tableau
https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19CasesDashboard_15931020425010/Cases?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Crackin' me up there. Such a brat.

Good thing Jodeke knows how you feel.

Yep, I know he a (Y)

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

Apparently no masks and no social distancing, although they did have other preventative measures.

From July 8: A Christian Summer Camp Shut Down After 82 Kids And Staff Got The Coronavirus ( kids ages 13–18)

Quote:
A summer camp run by a Christian group in Missouri has shut down after more than 80 children and staffers tested positive for the coronavirus, health officials said.

Organizers of the Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe in the state's southwest near the Arkansas border made the decision to shut down last week due to a number of suspected cases, according to the Stone County Health Department.

On July 2, health officials said at least 41 campers and staff had tested positive. By Monday, that number had doubled to 82.

Health officials said the children were returning to their homes in 10 different states, as well as multiple Missouri counties.

Preview of school openings without serious preventative plans in place?

Last edited by ChefLinda on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Apparently no masks and no social distancing.

From July 8: A Christian Summer Camp Shut Down After 82 Kids And Staff Got The Coronavirus ( kids ages 13–18)

Quote:
A summer camp run by a Christian group in Missouri has shut down after more than 80 children and staffers tested positive for the coronavirus, health officials said.

Organizers of the Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe in the state's southwest near the Arkansas border made the decision to shut down last week due to a number of suspected cases, according to the Stone County Health Department.

On July 2, health officials said at least 41 campers and staff had tested positive. By Monday, that number had doubled to 82.

Health officials said the children were returning to their homes in 10 different states, as well as multiple Missouri counties.

Preview of school openings without serious preventative plans in place?

This was just a two-four week camp (compared to a school year), with preventative measures, and look what happened. It seems impossible that one human being can be wrong so often, but that was before Trump came to prominence--he'd get slaughtered by the flip of a coin. And he is the President of the United States! Oh how far we have fallen. The hole we're in will far outlast me, that I'm pretty sure. Our poor children.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
It seems impossible that one human being can be wrong so often, but that was before Trump came to prominence--he'd get slaughtered by the flip of a coin. And he is the President of the United States! Oh how far we have fallen. The hole we're in will far outlast me, that I'm pretty sure. Our poor children.

This!

You, idiots, who plan to vote for Trump, again, pay attention to that (the quote, above).

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

Second straight day of more than 100 deaths here in Florida. I don’t even believe that number. No way the deaths are even that low. Wait until the surge of deaths from these weeks of 10000+ new cases days really start hitting.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Second straight day of more than 100 deaths here in Florida. I don’t even believe that number. No way the deaths are even that low. Wait until the surge of deaths from these weeks of 10000+ new cases days really start hitting.

Quote:
Florida Scientist Says She Was Fired For Not Manipulating COVID-19 Data

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/29/884551391/florida-scientist-says-she-was-fired-for-not-manipulating-covid-19-data
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump Administration Strips C.D.C. of Control of Coronavirus Data

Hospitals have been ordered to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and send all patient information to a central database in Washington, raising questions about transparency.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

Trump is gonna hide the body bags. He's a straight up supervillain.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Trump Administration Strips C.D.C. of Control of Coronavirus Data

Hospitals have been ordered to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and send all patient information to a central database in Washington, raising questions about transparency.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

Trump is gonna hide the body bags. He's a straight up supervillain.

What's done in the dark..... If he does this the true body count will not be known. I'm almost sure the media will get close to if not true numbers. Of course Trump will say FAKE NEWS

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The Rose Parade has been cancelled. Since 1891 it has only ever been cancelled three times during WWII.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Hospitals have been ordered to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and send all patient information to a central database in Washington...

Can the affected hospitals refuse to comply?

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

What does this mean for worldometers stats? Will they still be posting US numbers I wonder.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Democrats and Republicans see coronavirus differently

Quote:
Digging down further, you see that 78% of Democrats say they wear a mask at all times. Just 45% of Republican answered the same way. This is a 33-point partisan gap.

This is so very easy to understand. Masks, to a large extent, protect others from the wearer far more so than protect the wearer from others. This does not fit the modern Ayn Randian Republican me-first playbook. Now if the reverse were true and masks would primarily protect the wearer, then maybe we'd see a 90ish% of Republicans wearing a mask.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Democrats and Republicans see coronavirus differently

Quote:
Digging down further, you see that 78% of Democrats say they wear a mask at all times. Just 45% of Republican answered the same way. This is a 33-point partisan gap.

This is so very easy to understand. Masks, to a large extent, protect others from the wearer far more so than protect the wearer from others. This does not fit the modern Ayn Randian Republican me-first playbook. Now if the reverse were true and masks would primarily protect the wearer, then maybe we'd see a 90ish% of Republicans wearing a mask.

What does "at all times mean?" I don't wear a mask when I walk to my commuter car and move it from street A around to street B on street sweeper days. I don't wear my mask driving to my destination either. I sure as XXXX wear it before entering my destination.

The US just officially hit the 1% mark on infected. 69% more to go....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 182 of 318
Jump to: