Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It occurs to me that this virus is a metaphor of sorts for climate change, pollution, vaccinations, income inequality, and racism, among other things. Each one of these requires some individuals to accept some level of degradation of their behavior or privilege in order for others to attain the same, and illustrates that we are not self-contained beings who can live in our own gated off worlds, neither responsible for nor immune from the ills of others. And the sad thing is it's hard to consider tackling problems that will have actual costs when the simple, fairly innocuous wearing of a mask is too much to give up so that others might live.

I had a similar thought regarding climate change. Even if we beat Coronavirus, we’re just going to boil anyway due to our inability to collectively mobilize.

I'm betting people will propose quick fix hydrochloroquine-like solutions after the fact for climate change too. Like, "lets just drop a huge ice cube in the ocean".

Geoengineering and carbon capture proposals are pretty much just that... Trying to have it all.

Or virtue signaling by driving Priuses/Teslas, ignoring the other harmful environmental impacts they have...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Covidiot Trumpers marched today in Seminole County Florida protesting the mask order shouting “My body, my choice.”

Irony is officially dead.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Covidiot Trumpers marched today in Seminole County Florida protesting the mask order shouting “My body, my choice.”

Irony is officially dead.

I see it more as hypocrisy has never thrived better than it does today.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Alicopter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Newsom orders 19 counties to shut down indoor dining again, and the order also includes movie theatres, family entertainment centers, and cardrooms. Of note in this link I'll provide is that CA hospitalizations are up 51% over the past 2 weeks, while ICU admissions are up 47%.

https://abc7.com/health/live-newsom-details-tightened-coronavirus-restrictions/6288080/?fbclid=IwAR2V13iRqkPqqW92dpNdHqbDul3oEfnPhlefiV0Rw-rLcdS0pz7v9j4AaUQ

Weird how they don't list gyms

More importantly how are they still allowing protests like this one?
https://twitter.com/ChristinaKTLA/status/1278499560239755264/photo/1
If you are going to keep people from earning a living then you shouldn't be allowing mass protests. You can't expect people to follow orders if there is a double standard thrown if their face.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Alicopter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Newsom orders 19 counties to shut down indoor dining again, and the order also includes movie theatres, family entertainment centers, and cardrooms. Of note in this link I'll provide is that CA hospitalizations are up 51% over the past 2 weeks, while ICU admissions are up 47%.

https://abc7.com/health/live-newsom-details-tightened-coronavirus-restrictions/6288080/?fbclid=IwAR2V13iRqkPqqW92dpNdHqbDul3oEfnPhlefiV0Rw-rLcdS0pz7v9j4AaUQ

Weird how they don't list gyms

More importantly how are they still allowing protests like this one?
https://twitter.com/ChristinaKTLA/status/1278499560239755264/photo/1
If you are going to keep people from earning a living then you shouldn't be allowing mass protests. You can't expect people to follow orders if there is a double standard thrown if their face.

Someone’s unsafe behavior doesn’t excuse someone else’s unsafe behavior. The virus doesn’t care why people have gathered but it’s survival depends on it. Great job getting pwned by a germ.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of being outsmarted by a germ. A submicroscopic infectious agent with the single biological imperative to infect everyone is tearing through his country and our leader’s response is to help it.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Speaking of being outsmarted by a germ. A submicroscopic infectious agent with the single biological imperative to infect everyone is tearing through his country and our leader’s response is to help it.

It's just going to go away.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject:

It's so strange what some people choose to focus on.

We have a Senate and President who refuse to do what other countries have done and make it safe for people to return to work.
We have a Senate and President who refuse to do what other countries have done and provide people with the financial assistance needed until they can go back to work.

But the real problem is non-Covidiots infringing on people's right to kill their fellow citizens in the 100s of thousands with this virus.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Meanwhile, some teens are throwing covid parties...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

Over 10,100 new cases today here in Florida. But by all means let’s open Disney World in 9 days!!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

Trump says we have the virus under control. It's going to disappear. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

What was the point of the original “lockdown” now? I read an article that says we aren’t even in the second wave— the first one never ended.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

I am curious as to what this will do to higher education in the USA. I think many of the lower-tier, private liberal arts colleges will go bust. Many of them have already been on the ropes, I think this pandemic will be a fatal blow. I'm sure there will be layoffs and furloughs at the public colleges as well, particularly among the nontenured professors and support staff. Foreign student enrollment has been propping up both public and private universities for years, as the foreign students as a whole tend to pay full tuition. I expect a drop, perhaps significant, among the foreign student population.

USC just recommended that students elect for remote learning this fall. I wonder how many other colleges will follow suit. There will be a drop in dorms and food revenue resulting from students who take online classes. And of course there might be students who will defer, due to parent financial hardship or parental concern that online classes aren't worth the tuition expenditure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What was the point of the original “lockdown” now? I read an article that says we aren’t even in the second wave— the first one never ended.

It was so that we wouldn't overwhelm the hospitals.
It worked for a while, but we lost all the gains once people started going out again. Unfortunately, it looks like the only way to return to normal life is when the vaccine or treatments are widely available.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I am curious as to what this will do to higher education in the USA. I think many of the lower-tier, private liberal arts colleges will go bust. Many of them have already been on the ropes, I think this pandemic will be a fatal blow. I'm sure there will be layoffs and furloughs at the public colleges as well, particularly among the nontenured professors and support staff. Foreign student enrollment has been propping up both public and private universities for years, as the foreign students as a whole tend to pay full tuition. I expect a drop, perhaps significant, among the foreign student population.

USC just recommended that students elect for remote learning this fall. I wonder how many other colleges will follow suit. There will be a drop in dorms and food revenue resulting from students who take online classes. And of course there might be students who will defer, due to parent financial hardship or parental concern that online classes aren't worth the tuition expenditure.

Those schools that were ready for online learning will be able to effectively navigate thru this crisis, and it will future proof schools for the era of internet learning. Those schools which didn't have an online component will suffer greatly. Reality is that some of these schools have become bloated since they usually passed along their budget problems to the students, You rarely hear of tuition decreases, due the pandemic some students will probably take a closer look at what value some of these schools offer if they can't attend classes in person and might decide to choose to attend a cheaper state school instead. Also there is a social component to going to college where you make connections with people and attending school online basically eliminates that aspect of education.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I’m doing a PhD right now and thinking about calling it quits because of this. The higher education model was already unsustainable and is increasingly relying on adjuncts and graduate students (as primary instructors for large lectures instead of TAs) rather than tenure track faculty for teaching because it’s cheaper. Tuition costs have only gone up.

Sooner or later people will become unwilling to pay increasingly high tuition for a University of Phoenix level education. I don’t see how this is sustainable.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Sooner or later people will become unwilling to pay increasingly high tuition for a University of Phoenix level education. I don’t see how this is sustainable.

Don't knock that school, as I'm a huge fan of their football team.

Oh, wait...

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

The lockdown was supposed to arrest the massive spread (which it did) that happened because we didn't take appropriate early measures, so that hospitals didn't get overrun and to give a chance for more moderate measures to be effective afterward. But the next measures should have been heavy on mask use, because that's the key to any successful model.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The lockdown was supposed to arrest the massive spread (which it did) that happened because we didn't take appropriate early measures, so that hospitals didn't get overrun and to give a chance for more moderate measures to be effective afterward. But the next measures should have been heavy on mask use, because that's the key to any successful model.

But now the rate of new cases is higher than ever before, so it was all pointless.

I don’t know why Fauci is lionized as a national hero when he deliberately lied about the effectiveness of mask use so that they could be preserved for hospitals.

maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

there wasn't any "lockdown" really. because all we had done is shut off businesses to discourage people from gathering. But there isn't any measure that prevents gathering.

Think about it like this, the infection chain will continue as long as the the infected and the non-infected are not separated by force. The infected are continuously infecting the non-infected. We have never tried to stop this. The infection chain will never break until we forcefully quarantine the infected.

what we're waiting for is that the infected will no longer infect the non-infected, which is herd immunity really.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yes we were late to the party. When we joined we were on the right path to containment with lock down and masks.

People naturally grew weary with confinement and started to get lax. Then the IIC said it was a hoax and didn't wear a mask in public exhibiting piss poor leadership and you guessed it, all hell broke loose. Now COVID-19 is just about out of control.

IMO we'll be in the throws of infection until a vaccine is perfected and widely available. After that the hurdle will be the god almighty dollar.

Who will be able to afford the vaccine? Trump's trying to eliminate ACA. Without a health plan I fear many will not be able to afford the vaccine and the infection will still be a problem.

Buckle up people this is going to be a rough ride.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

California Covid Deaths for July 1, 2020
-----------------------------------------------

4,254,176 Tests Performed
....4,254,176 Results Rec'd (0 PENDING)
.......232,657 POSITIVE
....4,021,519 NEGATIVE

Day............#.Day............#...Day..........#
2/26/2020 0 4/01/2020 21 5/01/2020 91 6/01/2020 38 7/1/2020 110
2/27/2020 0 4/02/2020 32 5/02/2020 98 6/02/2020 35
2/28/2020 0 4/03/2020 34 5/03/2020 44 6/03/2020 75
2/29/2020 0 4/04/2020 39 5/04/2020 39 6/04/2020 61
3/01/2020 0 4/05/2020 43 5/05/2020 63 6/05/2020 63
3/02/2020 0 4/06/2020 24 5/06/2020 95 6/06/2020 74
3/03/2020 0 4/07/2020 31 5/07/2020 92 6/07/2020 67
3/04/2020 1 4/08/2020 68 5/08/2020 81 6/08/2020 27
3/05/2020 0 4/09/2020 50 5/09/2020 93 6/09/2020 44
3/06/2020 0 4/10/2020 49 5/10/2020 67 6/10/2020 79
3/07/2020 0 4/11/2020 68 5/11/2020 25 6/11/2020 105
3/08/2020 0 4/12/2020 42 5/12/2020 77 6/12/2020 62
3/09/2020 0 4/13/2020 36 5/13/2020 87 6/13/2020 46
3/10/2020 1 4/14/2020 71 5/14/2020 98 6/14/2020 74
3/12/2020 4 4/15/2020 63 5/15/2020 76 6/15/2020 26
3/13/2020 0 4/16/2020 69 5/16/2020 96 6/16/2020 32
3/14/2020 1 4/17/2020 95 5/17/2020 57 6/17/2020 87
3/15/2020 0 4/18/2020 87 5/18/2020 41 6/18/2020 82
3/16/2020 1 4/19/2020 94 5/19/2020 32 6/19/2020 70
3/17/2020 5 4/20/2020 42 5/20/2020 102 6/20/2020 64
3/18/2020 2 4/21/2020 60 5/21/2020 106 6/21/2020 71
3/19/2020 3 4/22/2020 86 5/22/2020 88 6/22/2020 20
3/20/2020 3 4/23/2020 115 5/23/2020 78 6/23/2020 65
3/21/2020 4 4/24/2020 93 5/24/2020 66 6/24/2020 52
3/22/2020 4 4/25/2020 89 5/25/2020 21 6/25/2020 101
3/23/2020 0 4/26/2020 59 5/26/2020 19 6/26/2020 79
3/24/2020 13 4/27/2020 45 5/27/2020 70 6/27/2020 60
3/25/2020 13 4/28/2020 54 5/28/2020 89 6/28/2020 33
3/26/2020 12 4/29/2020 78 5/29/2020 95 6/29/2020 31
3/27/2020 13 4/30/2020 95 5/30/2020 88 6/30/2020 44
3/28/2020 23........................5/31/2020 57
3/30/2020 34
3/31/2020 15

.....TOTAL 6090

------Source
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-144.aspx

------Tableau
https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19CasesDashboard_15931020425010/Cases?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

But now the rate of new cases is higher than ever before, so it was all pointless.

I don’t know why Fauci is lionized as a national hero when he deliberately lied about the effectiveness of mask use so that they could be preserved for hospitals.

Unfortunately, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. The medical workers did require those medical supplies otherwise the infections could be worse. The problem was not announcing non-medical face coverings early on , while not as effective as medical grade, could've mitigated the spread.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Here comes CYA. I don't blame the league. People will be people. They're not going to abide with strict rules of masks and social distancing.

I want sports but not at the risk of spreading a pandemic virus.

I could watch a game with no fans. It won't be as enjoyable but it's better than nothing.

I can see the league negotiating new contracts with television. It won't match fan attendance but it something.

Hell I want the NBA to end the season. The Lakers window of opportunity is closing. Play in the bubble.

NFL might ask fans to sign a coronavirus liability waiver to attend games this season, per report

LINK

It's all about the Benjamin's.

Quote:
A big reason the NFL is doing everything in its power to try and make sure that fans will be able to attend games is that there's a lot of money involved. The league has estimated that if fans aren't allowed to attend games in 2020 that NFL's 32 teams would collectively lose out on more than $3 billion.

Quote:
With an uptick in coronavirus cases around the country, a waiver wouldn't be completely unheard of. During a rally in Tulsa on June 20, the Trump campaign required all attendees to sign a waiver. The idea of having fans signs a waiver is one of several changes that the league will soon be considering with the proposals expected to be sent to each team at some point next week. According to the Athletic, other proposals include asking fans to wear masks and having every stadium go cashless (The Falcons are the only team that currently runs a cashless operation).

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Here comes CYA. I don't blame the league. People will be people. They're not going to abide with strict rules of masks and social distancing.

I want sports but not at the risk of spreading a pandemic virus.

I could watch a game with no fans. It won't be as enjoyable but it's better than nothing.

I can see the league negotiating new contracts with television. It won't match fan attendance but it something.

Hell I want the NBA to end the season. The Lakers window of opportunity is closing. Play in the bubble.

NFL might ask fans to sign a coronavirus liability waiver to attend games this season, per report

LINK

It's all about the Benjamin's.

Quote:
A big reason the NFL is doing everything in its power to try and make sure that fans will be able to attend games is that there's a lot of money involved. The league has estimated that if fans aren't allowed to attend games in 2020 that NFL's 32 teams would collectively lose out on more than $3 billion.

Quote:
With an uptick in coronavirus cases around the country, a waiver wouldn't be completely unheard of. During a rally in Tulsa on June 20, the Trump campaign required all attendees to sign a waiver. The idea of having fans signs a waiver is one of several changes that the league will soon be considering with the proposals expected to be sent to each team at some point next week. According to the Athletic, other proposals include asking fans to wear masks and having every stadium go cashless (The Falcons are the only team that currently runs a cashless operation).

All these major pro sports leagues are in trouble if they don't have a season or have a season with vastly reduced crowds. There is no way these leagues can survive long just on TV alone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 173 of 318
Jump to: