Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
55 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Texas reports a record number of hospitalized coronavirus patients after state reopened early

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/texas-reports-a-record-high-number-of-hospitalized-coronavirus-patients-after-state-reopened-early.html

Get used to headlines like this. There was a path to reopening things and protecting people as much as possible at the same time. We didn't take that path.

That is pretty much the case with California. California did not open early though there are the stages of easing.

It all comes down to how well people, wherever they are, follow social distancing guidelines. And they don't.

All the sacrifices we made by staying at home to contain the spread, was all wiped away these last 10 days. Expect the numbers to skyrocket again very soon.

That's what happens when you don't address a pandemic on a national level. Look at what New Zealand did. With a competent, young female Prime Minister in Jacinda Ardern they've practically eliminated the virus from their 4 million person population. New Zealand does a huge amount of trade and commerce with China and other Asian nations hard hit by the virus. But they followed the pandemic playbook effectively.
Dramatic and quick ramp up in testing, contact tracing, swift and tough lockdown, and the rules were communicated effectively to the population. She may be the best leader of a country at the moment in my opinion.

The scales are way too different to compare. 4 mil in a small area is much easier to control than 330 mil across 50 states. Kudos to her regardless, just not a good example.

Take Colorado. Make it 2 islands in the middle of nowhere and get rid of 20% of the people. That's NZ's social distancing situation.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

CNN: 19 states see rising coronavirus cases and Arizona is asking its hospitals to activate emergency plans

Quote:
Health experts have long warned about a second peak in Covid-19, and now a rise in cases has pushed Arizona to tell its hospitals to activate emergency plans.

Arizona is one of the 19 states with the trend of new coronavirus cases still increasing. While 24 are trending downward, seven states' trends are holding steady. Nationally more than 1.9 million people have been infected by the virus and more than 112,000 have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Quote:
Many states have loosened restrictions that were put in place starting in March to curb the spread of the virus. But with no vaccine and more people congregating in public places and national protests, health experts warn that the high rates of cases seen in the spring may come back.

Fears of another spike in cases extend all over the US.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
55 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
55 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Texas reports a record number of hospitalized coronavirus patients after state reopened early

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/texas-reports-a-record-high-number-of-hospitalized-coronavirus-patients-after-state-reopened-early.html

Get used to headlines like this. There was a path to reopening things and protecting people as much as possible at the same time. We didn't take that path.

That is pretty much the case with California. California did not open early though there are the stages of easing.

It all comes down to how well people, wherever they are, follow social distancing guidelines. And they don't.

All the sacrifices we made by staying at home to contain the spread, was all wiped away these last 10 days. Expect the numbers to skyrocket again very soon.

That's what happens when you don't address a pandemic on a national level. Look at what New Zealand did. With a competent, young female Prime Minister in Jacinda Ardern they've practically eliminated the virus from their 4 million person population. New Zealand does a huge amount of trade and commerce with China and other Asian nations hard hit by the virus. But they followed the pandemic playbook effectively.
Dramatic and quick ramp up in testing, contact tracing, swift and tough lockdown, and the rules were communicated effectively to the population. She may be the best leader of a country at the moment in my opinion.

The scales are way too different to compare. 4 mil in a small area is much easier to control than 330 mil across 50 states. Kudos to her regardless, just not a good example.

Take Colorado. Make it 2 islands in the middle of nowhere and get rid of 20% of the people. That's NZ's social distancing situation.

New Zealand also doesn't have a land border with anybody and pretty much the only way most people can reach it is by plane. Its located in the sparsely populated South Pacific region of the world. Much easier to control movement of people into your country. Also having half the population of LA county helps as well.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

White House goes quiet on coronavirus as outbreak spikes again across the U.S. It’s been more than a month since the White House halted its daily coronavirus task force briefings.

Quote:
The coronavirus is still killing as many as 1,000 Americans per day — but the Trump administration isn’t saying much about it.

It’s been more than a month since the White House halted its daily coronavirus task force briefings. Top officials like infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci have largely disappeared from national television — with Fauci making just four cable TV appearances in May after being a near fixture on Sunday shows across March and April — and are frequently restricted from testifying before Congress. Meanwhile, President Donald Trump is preparing to resume his campaign rallies after a three-month hiatus, an attempted signal to voters that normalcy is returning ahead of November’s election, and that he’s all but put the pandemic behind him.

“We’ve made every decision correctly,*” Trump claimed in remarks in the Rose Garden Friday morning. “We may have some embers or some ashes or we may have some flames coming, but we’ll put them out. We’ll stomp them out.”

Inside the White House, top advisers like Jared Kushner privately assured colleagues last month that the outbreak was well in hand — citing data on declines in community spread — and that the long-feared “second wave” may have even been averted*, according to three current and former officials. However, new data from states like Florida and mass protests across the country are renewing concerns about the virus’s spread. Texas, for instance, has reported two straight days of record-breaking coronavirus hospitalizations — highs that come shortly after the state kicked off the third stage of its reopening plan.

* 1984 Double-Speak
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

* 1984 Double-Speak

An Orwell reference: Nice!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
55 wrote:

New Zealand also doesn't have a land border with anybody and pretty much the only way most people can reach it is by plane. Its located in the sparsely populated South Pacific region of the world. Much easier to control movement of people into your country. Also having half the population of LA county helps as well.

The things New Zealand did right aren't population size dependent.
1) Address the pandemic on a national level.
2) Contact tracing on a national level.
3) Swift and tough lockdown.
4) Communicate the rules moving forward effectively.

Sure if they were bigger or weren't an island they wouldn't have eliminated it. But no matter the population size or geography. They'd still be in a better place than us. Because we've done none of the things on that list.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
55 wrote:

Sure if they were bigger or weren't an island they wouldn't have eliminated it. But no matter the population size or geography. They'd still be in a better place than us. Because we've done none of the things on that list.

1) Wouldn't work in the USA because of how our government is structured with powers being delegated between the federal and state level.
2) You would have a really hard time implementing this considering how paranoid people are about their privacy. And thats without all the potential legal challenges something like this would face in the USA.
3) Good luck implementing a national lockdown without martial law considering how much distrust there is between the people and the government.
4) I'll give you that.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

But wait...no...American greatness?

To paraphrase Floyd's niece: "When has America ever been great?!"

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
There already are great contact-tracing apps in use in other countries. If someone tests positive, the data knows everyone whom that person came into close-enough contact with over the last X days, and sends an alert to those people's phones. The aggregate data helps us understand the epidemiological patterns. Of course, something like that would NEVER fly here.

Thats the problem isn't it? There is nothing the government can do legally to force you to install an app on your phone. This is why this solution will never fly in this country. You will have a segment of the population that will never participate in this scheme.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
I firmly believe that our population here simply would never have the stomach to follow orders. We aren't a disciplined people or culture here. Now, don't get me wrong: Trump's inaction early on cost us big time. I'm just saying that, absent of literally enforcing extreme martial law and not allowing people to leave their homes basically for any reason, American citizens were never going to have the stomach or discipline to stay at home for 6 weeks, to wear masks at all times outside if they did leave the house, and all that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we aren't a good people.

It's not about being good or bad. This country has a long tradition of its people not liking the government telling them what they can and cannot do. That starts with better freedom of speech laws and individual protections than other countries and trickles down from there. We do however also have a LOT of idiots.

We have individual rights which a lot of people aren't willing to give up and if the government attempts to implement schemes which requires participation of the collective, it can easily be challenged in the court systems. Just yesterday, the OC health director resigned from her job because she issued a face mask order in the county.....well a lot of the vocal residents didn't take too kindly to the government and marched down to city hall and made their feelings known. Something like that would never fly in China where the voice of the individual is drowned out by the good of the collective.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I firmly believe that our population here simply would never have the stomach to follow orders. We aren't a disciplined people or culture here. Now, don't get me wrong: Trump's inaction early on cost us big time. I'm just saying that, absent of literally enforcing extreme martial law and not allowing people to leave their homes basically for any reason, American citizens were never going to have the stomach or discipline to stay at home for 6 weeks, to wear masks at all times outside if they did leave the house, and all that.

The price of freedom.

I said it before and I'll say it again. COVID-19 is gonna need a LINK to git at me. I ain't goin nowhere.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

It's not about being good or bad. This country has a long tradition of its people not liking the government telling them what they can and cannot do. That starts with better freedom of speech laws and individual protections than other countries and trickles down from there. We do however also have a LOT of idiots.

We have individual rights which a lot of people aren't willing to give up and if the government attempts to implement schemes which requires participation of the collective, it can easily be challenged in the court systems. Just yesterday, the OC health director resigned from her job because she issued a face mask order in the county.....well a lot of the vocal residents didn't take too kindly to the government and marched down to city hall and made their feelings known. Something like that would never fly in China where the voice of the individual is drowned out by the good of the collective.

In fairness, in China, the voice of the individual is drowned out by complete and brutally effective government control.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

In fairness, in China, the voice of the individual is drowned out by complete and brutally effective government control.

Thats true, the individual has no say in their government.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
1) Wouldn't work in the USA because of how our government is structured with powers being delegated between the federal and state level.
2) You would have a really hard time implementing this considering how paranoid people are about their privacy. And thats without all the potential legal challenges something like this would face in the USA.
3) Good luck implementing a national lockdown without martial law considering how much distrust there is between the people and the government.
4) I'll give you that.

All those arguments boil down to is, "it would be hard". But none of those things are impossible. Obama's White House used to have a saying. "Hard things are hard to do." It was a mantra to stop themselves from falling into self-pity. A unified Democrat White House and Congress gets all those things done. Ya, new laws would have to be passed. A national plan of action. And with the right incentives for every state to follow it, you wouldn't have to expand any powers on the federal level.

And sure people would be upset. But we're looking at the alternative right now. 115,000 dead. We're probably looking at a quarter of a million by the end of the year. Meanwhile all you'll hear from Trump and McConnell is, "the cure can't be worse than the disease". And "we're worried the second wave will be a pandemic of lawsuits". And "let states go bankrupt". It's hard to address a pandemic the right way. So they're throwing their hands up and blaming state leadership. Meanwhile having the states handle it was a dumb idea from the start.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
4) I'll give you that.

All those arguments boil down to is, "it would be hard". But none of those things are impossible. Obama's White House used to have a saying. "Hard things are hard to do." It was a mantra to stop themselves from falling into self-pity. A unified Democrat White House and Congress gets all those things done. Ya, new laws would have to be passed. A national plan of action. And with the right incentives for every state to follow it, you wouldn't have to expand any powers on the federal level.

And sure people would be upset. But we're looking at the alternative right now. 115,000 dead. We're probably looking at a quarter of a million by the end of the year. Meanwhile all you'll hear from Trump and McConnell is, "the cure can't be worse than the disease". And "we're worried the second wave will be a pandemic of lawsuits". And "let states go bankrupt". It's hard to address a pandemic the right way. So they're throwing their hands up and blaming state leadership. Meanwhile having the states handle it was a dumb idea from the start.

Nope just addressing the fact that there are people who will ignore what the government implements or attempts to implement. Anti-vaxxers have only grown in their numbers so I'm not really surprised that this pandemic has exploded in the US. And I agree with you that our federal response to this has been terrible.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Nope just addressing the fact that there are people who will ignore what the government implements or attempts to implement. Anti-vaxxers have only grown in their numbers so I'm not really surprised that this pandemic has exploded in the US. And I agree with you that our federal response to this has been terrible.

Very true. Sorry I'm just frustrated that this pandemic has been played like it's some political game on the national level and too many people are dying because of it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

If the vaccine is successful, proves to combat the malady, how long will the not for profit continue? I'm going to, in this case, be a cynic and take side, "How long, Not long."

Inside Johnson & Johnson's 'lightning speed' effort to create a Covid-19 vaccine

LINK

Quote:
Johnson & Johnson is one key player in the race to develop a vaccine. They've recently announced a lead vaccine candidate for Covid-19, and a landmark partnership between the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson and the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), who together have committed more than $1 billion of investment to co-fund vaccine research, development, and clinical testing for the new coronavirus. Johnson & Johnson's CEO, Alex Gorsky, has said the vaccine could be ready for human testing by this September, and their goal is to have 1 billion doses of the vaccine available globally on a not-for-profit basis for emergency global pandemic use.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Very true. Sorry I'm just frustrated that this pandemic has been played like it's some political game on the national level and too many people are dying because of it.

Unfortunately, we weren't prepared for this whatsoever. The federal response was bad and locally people didn't take it seriously until it was too late. When you have people rebelling on the sole issue of just wearing a face mask you know you are fighting an uphill battle. On another message board I argued with somebody who said that this disease only affected Asians and we shouldn't worry at all....boy were they wrong.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
On another message board I argued with somebody who said that this disease only affected Asians and we shouldn't worry at all...

Thanks to Trump: Make America dumb again.

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

California Covid Deaths for June 10, 2020
-----------------------------------------------

2,540,798 Tests Performed
....2,540,798 Results Rec'd (0 PENDING)
.......136,191 POSITIVE
....2,404,607 NEGATIVE

Day............#.Day............#...Day..........#
2/26/2020 0 4/01/2020 21 5/01/2020 91 6/01/2020 38 (24 from LA Co)
2/27/2020 0 4/02/2020 32 5/02/2020 98 6/02/2020 35 (22 from LA Co)
2/28/2020 0 4/03/2020 34 5/03/2020 44 6/03/2020 75 (59 from LA Co)
2/29/2020 0 4/04/2020 39 5/04/2020 39 6/04/2020 61 (46 from LA Co)
3/01/2020 0 4/05/2020 43 5/05/2020 63 6/05/2020 63 (14 from LA Co)
3/02/2020 0 4/06/2020 24 5/06/2020 95 6/06/2020 74 (34 from LA Co)
3/03/2020 0 4/07/2020 31 5/07/2020 92 6/07/2020 67 (55 from LA Co)
3/04/2020 1 4/08/2020 68 5/08/2020 81 6/08/2020 27 (25 from LA Co)
3/05/2020 0 4/09/2020 50 5/09/2020 93 6/09/2020 44 (10 from LA Co)
3/06/2020 0 4/10/2020 49 5/10/2020 67 6/10/2020 79 (52 from LA Co)
3/07/2020 0 4/11/2020 68 5/11/2020 25
3/08/2020 0 4/12/2020 42 5/12/2020 77
3/09/2020 0 4/13/2020 36 5/13/2020 87
3/10/2020 1 4/14/2020 71 5/14/2020 98
3/12/2020 4 4/15/2020 63 5/15/2020 76
3/13/2020 0 4/16/2020 69 5/16/2020 96
3/14/2020 1 4/17/2020 95 5/17/2020 57
3/15/2020 0 4/18/2020 87 5/18/2020 41
3/16/2020 1 4/19/2020 94 5/19/2020 32
3/17/2020 5 4/20/2020 42 5/20/2020 102
3/18/2020 2 4/21/2020 60 5/21/2020 106
3/19/2020 3 4/22/2020 86 5/22/2020 88
3/20/2020 3 4/23/2020 115 5/23/2020 78
3/21/2020 4 4/24/2020 93 5/24/2020 66
3/22/2020 4 4/25/2020 89 5/25/2020 21
3/23/2020 0 4/26/2020 59 5/26/2020 19
3/24/2020 13 4/27/2020 45 5/27/2020 70
3/25/2020 13 4/28/2020 54 5/28/2020 89
3/26/2020 12 4/29/2020 78 5/29/2020 95
3/27/2020 13 4/30/2020 95 5/30/2020 88
3/28/2020 23........................5/31/2020 57
3/30/2020 34
3/31/2020 15

.....TOTAL 4776

------Source
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-119.aspx

------Tableau
https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Public?:embed=y&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd be 1000x more concerned about the recent protest in terms of spreading Covid. We'll see in about in a little more than a week.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I'd be 1000x more concerned about the recent protest in terms of spreading Covid. We'll see in about in a little more than a week.

Well, today Anaheim reported 79 cases (which is a spike), with 147 in OC as a whole. The 306 OC hospitalizations are a new high as well, up from the 304 reported yesterday. My friend that works in medical sales said that he hasn't noticed a big uptick in his hospitals overall, but that there was one hospital in particular with a definite spike and that it was in Anaheim.

City of Anaheim- Municipal Government
· 4 hrs ·

We're out with today's #Covid19 case update.

Anaheim saw a spike of 79 new cases after three consecutive days of mild case reports.

Here's a summary:
* Anaheim: 79 new cases for a running total of 1,429
* OC: 147 new cases for a running total of 7,737
* Deaths: 13 deaths for a running total of 198
* Tests: 1,564 for a running total of 168,158
* Hospitalizations: 306, a new high and up from 304 a day earlier
* ICU: 146, unchanged from a day earlier
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

^^^ We're still to early to see the surge from the marches no?

I'm across the street from Hoag so I'm in constant conversation with the doctors and nurses that work there and there's not been a spike. Someone I know is also a doctor at a hospital in the city of Orange...there's not there either yet. Of course this is still too early to see.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I'm across the street from Hoag so I'm in constant conversation with the doctors and nurses that work there and there's not been a spike. Someone I know is also a doctor at a hospital in the city of Orange ...there's not there either yet. Of course this is still too early to see.

Yeah I'm not sure which hospital my friend was talking about, and he won't say because, well, he's not supposed to say those things. I agree that I don't think we've seen the potential surge from the protests yet, at least as it relates to LA County. The marches have been smaller in scope in OC but there have definitely been some.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I'm across the street from Hoag so I'm in constant conversation with the doctors and nurses that work there and there's not been a spike. Someone I know is also a doctor at a hospital in the city of Orange...there's not there either yet. Of course this is still too early to see.

If nothing else, there's going to be a massive spike in about 2 weeks. Bars are opening this weekend.

Went to a sort of trial opening at one today. It was fine for about 30 minutes. Social distancing, caution about any contact.

That went out the window in minute 31. I bailed as soon as I saw it was heading in that direction. That was in a small local bar on a Wednesday before 6. Friday night? With everything that has happened over the last few months? Yikes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 163 of 318
Jump to: