Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CNN discussing checks. If you have direct deposit you should be getting a check in 3 weeks. If you don't have direct there will be a site that will allow you to upload your information to get direct deposit. Mnuchin commits to sending out stimulus funds in 2 weeks.

Mnuchin is as big a liar as Trump.

Quote:
Kasie Hunt @kasie NEW with @AlexNBCNews

Week of April 13 is earliest Americans will see direct deposit relief payments from the government;paper checks could take as long as 20 weeks -- nearly 5 months -- for some Americans

That commitment was on the CNN scroll. That's 2 weeks.

Literally nothing this administration has done has exhibited the least bit of competence. If they say, oh yeah you can just upload your info, no biggie -- then you should assume: 1) they are lying or 2) it won't work or 3) no such system exists.

I have direct deposit and I'm going to take a optimistic view. Pessimism garners nothing.

I'm not arguing that direct deposit won't come in a few weeks, I'm saying for people who didn't file taxes online and who are expecting a paper check will be waiting several months.

Not reading my actual posts also garners nothing in the way of having a fruitful conversation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CNN discussing checks. If you have direct deposit you should be getting a check in 3 weeks. If you don't have direct there will be a site that will allow you to upload your information to get direct deposit. Mnuchin commits to sending out stimulus funds in 2 weeks.

Quote:

Week of April 13 is earliest Americans will see direct deposit relief payments from the government;paper checks could take as long as 20 weeks -- nearly 5 months -- for some Americans

Literally nothing this administration has done has exhibited the least bit of competence. If they say, oh yeah you can just upload your info, no biggie -- then you should assume: 1) they are lying or 2) it won't work or 3) no such system exists.

I have direct deposit and I'm going to take a optimistic view. Pessimism garners nothing.

I'm not arguing that direct deposit won't come in a few weeks, I'm saying for people who didn't file taxes online and who are expecting a paper check will be waiting several months.

Not reading my actual posts also garners nothing in the way of having a fruitful conversation.

I don't read all of them. I respond to the ones I do.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

It's right there above. I had even bolded it for you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

It's right there above. I had even bolded it for you.

OK. I'm going to go with what was just announced on CNN. I'm not on the paper list, I have direct deposit. Munchin said it won't take months. I'm going to hope THIS TIME he's not lying.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

OK. I'm going to go with what was just announced on CNN.

Which is not any different than a Trumpster saying the same thing about Fox News.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Which is not any different than a Trumpster saying the same thing about Fox News.

OK. As I said I'm not on the paper list, I have direct deposit. I'm hoping for those who are.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

We just reopened for delivery yesterday. I have a bottle of sanitizer at the front for the gig drivers to use and I swear, every mouth breather that comes in slathers there hand in it. Utterly wasteful. Please don't let this be any of you. FFS...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Got my grocery order from Smart&Final today. I wiped everything with Lysol. I ordered more Lysol, there was none in stock. I got everything else.

That's a dilemma. When the Lysol arrives, what are you going to wipe it down with?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
We just reopened for delivery yesterday. I have a bottle of sanitizer at the front for the gig drivers to use and I swear, every mouth breather that comes in slathers there hand in it. Utterly wasteful. Please don't let this be any of you. FFS...

Great! Hope business is good! Good luck! Be well!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK. As I said I'm not on the paper list, I have direct deposit. I'm hoping for those who are.

I'm not sure why this is an issue. The pertinent question is how many people are likely to be in the 20-week group. If these people do not have a direct deposit link, the IRS will need to identify a correct mailing address for them. A surprising number of people do not have bank accounts at all, and many of them are either itinerant or move from apartment to apartment frequently. Speaking as an attorney who represents a lot of people in the mid- to lower-income brackets, I can tell you that it is surprising how many people meet this description who you would never suspect. I'm not just talking about homeless people and trailer park residents.

If we have 200 million taxpayers, and if 1% meet the description I just gave, that's 2 million people. Yes, it may take a long time to get the checks to some of those people.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm not sure why this is an issue. The pertinent question is how many people are likely to be in the 20-week group. If these people do not have a direct deposit link, the IRS will need to identify a correct mailing address for them. A surprising number of people do not have bank accounts at all, and many of them are either itinerant or move from apartment to apartment frequently. Speaking as an attorney who represents a lot of people in the mid- to lower-income brackets, I can tell you that it is surprising how many people meet this description who you would never suspect. I'm not just talking about homeless people and trailer park residents.

If we have 200 million taxpayers, and if 1% meet the description I just gave, that's 2 million people. Yes, it may take a long time to get the checks to some of those people.

I understand where you're coming from. Mnuchin mentioned opening a portal to allow those who don't have accounts to open one. I think it's going to be a long wait if you don't have an account. A check is in the mail is going to be a long time coming.

SMH Trump just said in come cases a scarf is better, it's thicker. This person is stuuuuupid!!!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Got my grocery order from Smart&Final today. I wiped everything with Lysol. I ordered more Lysol, there was none in stock. I got everything else.

That's a dilemma. When the Lysol arrives, what are you going to wipe it down with?

Conundrum
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Thanks my man!

We're fortunate in that even before the madness, about 2/3 of our revenue was takeout and delivery. Everything is okay so far. We cut down hours a smidge but at least the staff is still able to take home a decent salary. As long as we can stay afloat for a the near future we'll be okay . If not, I'm already mentally prepped for the uncertainty.

Btw, you know a lot about scuba right?

Last edited by jonnybravo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I have a good supply of Lysol. When I run out I'll use Clorox. I'll use rubber gloves, Clorox, hot water and soap. After I'm done I wash the gloves as I would my hands with soap, Clorox and hot water.

Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

some anagrams for Coronavirus:

Carnivorous
Racoon Virus
Various Corn
Saviour Corn
A Croon Virus

Hmmmmmm's
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Thanks my man!

We're fortunate in that even before the madness, about 2/3 of our revenue was takeout and delivery. Everything is okay so far. We cut down hours a smidge but at least the staff is still able to take home a decent salary. As long as we can stay afloat for a the near future. We'll be okay .

Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Btw, you know a lot about scuba right?

Enough to have made it back to the surface over a thousand times.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

^^ Sent yah a PM.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

diluted bleach will do the trick
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^ Sent yah a PM.

Replied
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Logging in for first time in several weeks and hope this finds everyone in the Lakersground family hanging in there. We got back from an international trip and have been back home in NYC for little over two weeks now. Obviously terrible situation here but we're all good and following the edicts and just hanging out and I'm watching a lot of old Lakers games. I already did that and now it's like multiplied. But good way to pass the time. Take care all and one day we'll again be able to complain about AD's turnarounds, Rondo's playing time, Danny Green's lumbering gait, Kwame's hands, whether Jordan was better than Kobe, Phil Jackson's inability to call timeouts at the right time, Deng's contract, Magic's love of the media and so much more. Stay safe!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
Logging in for first time in several weeks and hope this finds everyone in the Lakersground family hanging in there. We got back from an international trip and have been back home in NYC for little over two weeks now. Obviously terrible situation here but we're all good and following the edicts and just hanging out and I'm watching a lot of old Lakers games. I already did that and now it's like multiplied. But good way to pass the time. Take care all and one day we'll again be able to complain about AD's turnarounds, Rondo's playing time, Danny Green's lumbering gait, Kwame's hands, whether Jordan was better than Kobe, Phil Jackson's inability to call timeouts at the right time, Deng's contract, Magic's love of the media and so much more. Stay safe!

You too and welcome back!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jennifer J. Carroll, PhD MPH (she/her) @veruka2

1/ I am a university professor. I teach undergraduates who have been isolated at home and taking classes "remotely" for 3 weeks. Here are some things that have happened during that time.

2/ A student texted me to talk in the middle of the night because they are on campus, not at home (still allowed at my uni for those who can't return), their dad is sick, no one is answering the phone, and they were panicking that their parent had died.

3/ A student joined my Webex office hours and, mid-conversation, told me that "by the time you become a sr. in college, you really start to recognize what's important in life," and shared with me that COVID concerns had resulted in him reconnecting with his estranged brother.

4/ A student wrote me to say that she was worried about the paper coming up (on a book we've read the past 3 weeks), because turns out she can't afford the text. And her mom just got laid off. And she's concerned about ordering anything even cheaply because she doesn't want to...

5/ ...put warehouse and delivery staff at risk. She had been doing all the homework. Her friend from class, in a different state, had been calling her daily to explain the readings to her over the phone. I bought and shipped her a new copy.

6/ Note, her friend, another student in this class (let's call them Grian), has been calling her EVERY DAY to explain the reading to her. We're reading a book-length ethnography--complex stuff, non-linear stuff. I think maybe Grian is the most kind and loving person in the world

7/ One of my students has been experiencing disruptive mental health issues for the past year. They are not responding to any form of communication. We used to talk every day. I haven't heard from them in three weeks.

8/ A student emailed me with profuse apologies for late classwork, explaining that both of their grandparents had just died.

9/ Another student emailed me with profuse apologies for late classwork, explaining that their *father* had just died.

10/ I reached out to a student who had been logging into our course site but hadn't turned in any work for 3 weeks, to ask how she's doing. She is an EMT-B and was a *champ* in our in-class naloxone training last month. Easily best student in the class so this behavior was weird.

11/ She wrote back to tell me that today was the first day in the last 16 that she hasn't worked a full shift at the ER, where things have gone off the rails since COVID-19 infection spiked in our region.

12/ She is a health care professional busting her ass during this time of crisis. She is 19 years old. She is a baby. She is doing enormous and hugely necessary things. She told me she misses our class and that seminar was always the highlight of her week.

13/ She opened and closed her email with profuse apologies for her late classwork.

14/ I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you teach and have been struggling with the decision of whether to let your students off the hook, or give them flexibility, or give them time, or give them anything, I hereby grant you full and enthusiastic permission to do so.

15/ I *do* know who needs to hear this: If you teach and you are being a hard ass right now because you think your students are being lazy and have a bunch of free time on their hands while at home, you are trash, and no one likes you.

16/ Our young students are weird, anxious, confounding, beautiful, resilient little creatures. They are a blessing. Don't take them for granted.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I feel kinda icky for complimenting Kraft, but gotta give props where due:

PATS OWNER ROBERT KRAFT
Sends Team Jet To China
BRINGING 1.2 MILLION MASKS!!!

He got his Happy Ending!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

diluted bleach will do the trick

When I run out of Lysol I'll use Clorox disinfectant bleach straight spray.

Quote:
We recently stepped up production of our disinfecting products to meet the needs of our consumers. As you can understand, this is a fast-moving situation, and we have a Product Supply team in place that's working around the clock to ensure people have access to our disinfecting products. Please visit Clorox.com for a full list of our retail products approved under EPA Emerging Pathogens policy. We have a number of products including Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach and Clorox® Clean Up + Bleach that are considered effective against COVID-19.

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Jennifer J. Carroll, PhD MPH (she/her) @veruka2

1/ I am a university professor. I teach undergraduates who have been isolated at home and taking classes "remotely" for 3 weeks. Here are some things that have happened during that time.

2/ A student texted me to talk in the middle of the night because they are on campus, not at home (still allowed at my uni for those who can't return), their dad is sick, no one is answering the phone, and they were panicking that their parent had died.

3/ A student joined my Webex office hours and, mid-conversation, told me that "by the time you become a sr. in college, you really start to recognize what's important in life," and shared with me that COVID concerns had resulted in him reconnecting with his estranged brother.

4/ A student wrote me to say that she was worried about the paper coming up (on a book we've read the past 3 weeks), because turns out she can't afford the text. And her mom just got laid off. And she's concerned about ordering anything even cheaply because she doesn't want to...

5/ ...put warehouse and delivery staff at risk. She had been doing all the homework. Her friend from class, in a different state, had been calling her daily to explain the readings to her over the phone. I bought and shipped her a new copy.

6/ Note, her friend, another student in this class (let's call them Grian), has been calling her EVERY DAY to explain the reading to her. We're reading a book-length ethnography--complex stuff, non-linear stuff. I think maybe Grian is the most kind and loving person in the world

7/ One of my students has been experiencing disruptive mental health issues for the past year. They are not responding to any form of communication. We used to talk every day. I haven't heard from them in three weeks.

8/ A student emailed me with profuse apologies for late classwork, explaining that both of their grandparents had just died.

9/ Another student emailed me with profuse apologies for late classwork, explaining that their *father* had just died.

10/ I reached out to a student who had been logging into our course site but hadn't turned in any work for 3 weeks, to ask how she's doing. She is an EMT-B and was a *champ* in our in-class naloxone training last month. Easily best student in the class so this behavior was weird.

11/ She wrote back to tell me that today was the first day in the last 16 that she hasn't worked a full shift at the ER, where things have gone off the rails since COVID-19 infection spiked in our region.

12/ She is a health care professional busting her ass during this time of crisis. She is 19 years old. She is a baby. She is doing enormous and hugely necessary things. She told me she misses our class and that seminar was always the highlight of her week.

13/ She opened and closed her email with profuse apologies for her late classwork.

14/ I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you teach and have been struggling with the decision of whether to let your students off the hook, or give them flexibility, or give them time, or give them anything, I hereby grant you full and enthusiastic permission to do so.

15/ I *do* know who needs to hear this: If you teach and you are being a hard ass right now because you think your students are being lazy and have a bunch of free time on their hands while at home, you are trash, and no one likes you.

16/ Our young students are weird, anxious, confounding, beautiful, resilient little creatures. They are a blessing. Don't take them for granted.

Thanks for sharing this.

We have daily Skype/Zoom conference calls for work. And the change in everyone's demeanor over the past few weeks has been interesting. We used to spend the majority of the 30 minutes talking about work and our objectives, etc. Today, we didn't say a single thing about work. We just talked, shared stories and told jokes. We agreed to all log in after hours to all have a drink "together" next Friday nite.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 86 of 318
Jump to: