LAKERS -at- NETS - 1/23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- NETS - 1/23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

On Fire From Three... The three ball was flying and dropping early from both teams.

In fact, it had an All Star feel to it, especially on the defensive side of things. I guess everyone is starting to feel that break coming up. After the smoke settled in the first half, the Lakers led 75-70.

The two teams combined for 40 made threes tonight. If you like seeing the ball go through the net from deep, this was the game. The Lakers would set their season high in made threes by two tonight, sinking 19-38.

In the second half, you could see the Lakers starting to challenge the three line much better (hard not to), but they wouldn’t put the clamps down until late in the third and early fourth.

The Lakers lead would go from 1 point to 19 in just a few minutes. They’d extend that advantage further as the run would stretch out to 26-2. We haven’t seen a good lockdown run like that for a while and we did it with small ball tonight to pull off the 128-113 road win over the Nets.

Another win on the second night of the back-to-back.

LeBron -- -- Triple-double. Hard to lose a game like this when he has it all going on. He was sinking the perimeter shot early and the late in the game, he went to the post to over power defenders. Just too strong in the paint. Occasionally, he’d also get matched up with Kyrie in the post. That typically didn’t last long as a foul or instant double came. He would sink a tough turnaround fade from the corner over him late in the game. By that point, he should have been out and actually had to signal to Vogel up 25 that he was done. This was just one of those all-around brilliant games that he makes look easy. He picked apart the Nets defense with the pass. Guys had a lot of time and great open looks on the perimeter. He’d also manipulate the D -- a look off for a lob to Dwight or a great speed cut off ball that drew the D to him where he could throw the lob for an easy finish. He saw the game a few plays ahead of the action all night. Just great ball to watch. I’m sure I was annoying pausing the game, so I could show my fam how smart he was on a few of these sequences. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 11-19 shooting (3-6 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 12 boards, 10 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 turnovers and no fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +26.

Davis -- -- He was questionable for this one prior to the game as it was the second night of the back to back. Key sequence at the end of the third. The lead was cut to 1 and AD swished an open three straight away. He then swatted a drive on D on the other end. He’d sit, but that would really be the start of the Lakers big rally. Not a great game from him. He had an awful decision trying to run a fastbreak and kicking it to the Nets for a score the other way. Smarter decision was when he pushed the ball up court under control and gave Green one of those little kickbacks like Randle would for our shooters. That’s the perfect play for Green and it would be nice to see more of it. AD had one of the near highlights of the game in the first half. He had a steal on the perimeter where he was fouled, spun and swished a half court shot, but it didn’t count unfortunately. Pretty regardless. We got to keep the minutes low tonight because the second unit led by LeBron and Rondo stormed the castle while he sat in the fourth. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 4-9s hooting (1-3 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a +6.

Howard -- -- We slid him into the starting role and he had a 12-point, 8 board first half. When he’s out there with LeBron and AD and killing it on the offensive glass, I could see that being demoralizing for a team. (It would be if we had played D early on.) I mean when you think you survived a possession of LeBron or AD not scoring on you, and Dwight’s there, yanking down boards, dunking on you...just hard to deal with. He’d score most of his points in the first half, and then had his last points a few minutes into the third on one of those putback dunks, just outmuscling the thinner Allen. Defensively in the first half, he seemed a bit lost in the zone at times, not knowing when to leave and match up. Same with scrambles for loose balls or rotations to open men. He and LeBron really seemed a bit flat-footed at times. We actually took control of this game without either Dwight or AD out there. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 7-10 shooting (0-3 from the line) to go with 12 boards (6 offensive), 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 23 minutes. He was a +1.

Green -- -- He killed the Nets to start the second half. He sank three threes in the first 4 minutes of the quarter, forcing a timeout as the Lakers extended their lead by 10 points. He also had some moments of D on the other end during that stretch. It’s pretty when he’s on fire like that. Of course, he’ll put up some crazy heat check misses, as well when he’s got it going. He seemed to get a little tired as the third went along. The team faded. He then sat and the bench took the back control of the game. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-9 shooting (4-7 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 steals, 1 block and 3 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +8.

Bradley -- -- One of the few guys who couldn’t hit a three tonight. It was not for trying as he went 0-5. A lot of shots were short, so he could be a little tired on the second night. That didn’t seem to be a problem for others, but Bradley did have the Kyrie assignment for some stretches, which can wear you down. He helped keep him somewhat in check with 20 on 7-17 shooting to go with 4 assists and 4 turnovers. Still, not a great game from Bradley. He got his only bucket in the third quarter, taking a handoff and hitting a floater. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-8 shooting (0-5 from three) to go with 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a +10.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- All his scoring came off the three ball. He sank all three he took and was fouled on a fourth attempt. He’d hit a couple big ones to start the fourth quarter. This was when the Lakers were delivering their haymakers and taking the game to the Nets. I love the super efficient scoring, but I love that he’s consistently bringing this night in and night out. That’s so important for the team. Got to get that from Kuzma next (I go into that a little below.) The Stats: He scored 11 points on 3-5 shooting (3-3 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a +5.

Kuzma -- -- The shot was looking nice tonight. He sank 3-5 from three. Good, open looks either over the zone or with LeBron drawing attention and finding him. He didn’t get those other stats (blocks, boards, steals) like the previous game. He had 13 of his 16 points in the first half. It would be great if we could get him back up to averaging this kind of offensive production. Obviously, the three ball helps, but we need to get more set plays for him. Get that into our playbook with consistency. You could always guarantee a bucket or two last year on that UCLA cut from Kuz. We occasionally run that, but don’t do it consistently. We have some variations for him in our strong handoff sequences, but rarely get to those. Dudley said the same thing afterward about trying to get Kuzma to that 16- to 17-point mark off the bench. That will take a little more execution specifically for him. Then, he’ll fill in the rest with fastbreaks and spot ups. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 5-9 shooting (3-5 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +11.

Caruso -- -- Kind of not sure why we didn’t ride with him more. He had it going with 8 points in the second quarter and we pulled him for a combo of leaving Rondo in with LBJ and Troy Daniels. Rondo I get to some extent there. But if Caruso is stroking it, while doing his usual hustle stuff/pressure D, why not ride with him? I don’t get it. We struggled at getting to those 50-50 balls early on, and he was one of the few guys managing to get those. Wish we let him get a little more run there in that first half when we were getting killed defensively. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting (2-2 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist and 1 foul in 10 minutes. He was a +0.

Rondo -- -- Um, I’m not sure what I saw out there defensively when the Lakers were taking over, but show me that again, please. He had a big steal that led to a Dudley three to end the quarter. Hustling for that one. But there was one play in the fourth a few minutes later where he and Kuz switched, Rondo blindsided Kyrie to force him to pass, then he hustled out to the far corner to challenge a three, forcing the shooter to give it up mid shot and a few seconds later we’d get the stop. Felt like young Rondo there for a moment. He was really huge in the final minute or so of the third quarter and into the fourth. Just looked spry. Offensively, he was dishing out dimes and even sank a three. He had 10 assists on the night and no credit for setting up AD for FTs on a lob attempt and also a handoff a couple times, as well. His prettiest might have been a lefty scoop over the shoulder of a turned defender to Daniels cutting for a layup Great game. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-7 shooting (1-3 form three) to go with 4 boars, 10 assists, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +8.

Daniels -- -- Hard to pull the team-low -11 in 8 minutes. Most of that was in the first half. He’d score his only points in garbage time. Actually, a bucket we kind of needed as the Nets were on a 14-2 run. He cut and Rondo slipped a pass to him for the And-1 layup. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 block and no fouls in 8 minutes. He was a -11.

Cook -- -- He’d score a layup on the break and then miss a series of attempts in our garbage time. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-4 shooting to go with no other stats in 3 minutes. He was a -1.

Dudley -- -- Facing his old team, he seemed comfortable on that floor. In for AD with 4:11 left in the first quarter when he had picked up his second foul, Dudley quickly swished a wing three over the zone on a kickout. His second three was to the beat the buzzer at the end of the third quarter. A huge shot as we finished the quarter on a 9-0 run to build a 10-point lead. He was our small-ball center during this stretch. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-6 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 5 boards, 2 steals, 1 block and no fouls in 17 minutes. He was a +12. The Action: Swished wing three over zone on kickout.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: First the setup. In the first few minutes of the second half, the Lakers started to establish themselves. Danny Green sank three threes and the Lakers pulled out to a 13-point lead quickly, but that lead would get trimmed down to 1 as the Nets were closing the quarter. Both AD and Rondo would sink big threes. They’d also contribute on D (block on Kyrie by AD, a steal on a hustle play by Rondo). That steal by Rondo was quickly sent down court to Dudley for a three at the buzzer. In short time, they went from up 1 to up 10 heading into the fourth. Add in a couple more threes from KCP to start the fourth and it was a 15-2 run in just a few minutes. They’d extend that to 26-2 over the course of a few more minutes.

Key Substitution: Let’s go with that stretch where we had Dudley in and AD out at the end of the third and start of the fourth. With one of our bigs out, we are occasionally sliding Dudley in as our third-string C as needed. He’s worked it out. Great position D, fundamentals on the boards, ability to take the charge...the Lakers blew this game up behind some excellent play by our vets Dudley and Rondo.

Key Stats: The Lakers shot 50% from three, going 19-38 from behind the arc. They were 14-23 at one point. The Nets made 21-46 (46%).

Vogel on Coaching the All Star Game: “Our coaching staff has done a phenomenal job. They really have. Hitting home runs or grand slams every game with their game plan. Helping me manage this group. I couldn’t be happier for those guys, but anytime we receive a reward or get recognized for something like this, it’s about team success.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

First. Thanks, DB.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

thanx DB
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
thanx DB

+1
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Amazing write up, DB

Also - https://i.imgur.com/VYDvV6n.jpg
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

re: Avery Bradley defense. It took Kyrie 17 (official) shots for him to get 20pts. Kyrie normally goes HAM on the Lakers. Avery's offense when he is on, is a bonus. But I'll take his defensive effort all day.

I think Dwight should start and get 25-30mpg, but Javelle might not take that too well. Chemistry matters and this team has it.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB and nice post Pete!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

This was a good example of how we are load managing and coasting, and then picking it up when the game is on the line. We have done a lot of that.

TNT began picking up on it, I believe Webber. How Lebron is not really trying that hard right now, on offense. A lot of possessions he is just a decoy and looking to get others a shot.

Come playoffs, we may see a different Lebron. One that attacks even more. Which will be a sight to see.

LOVE the Howard-AD-James lineup. Wish we saw more PT with them over the course of the season. It was their first start together without much practice time.

Wish Rondo pushed the ball like that all the time. I noticed the D too. Rondo is the only player on the team who sees plays ahead of time (aside from Lebron). He is the only other guy that can create penetration with passing. A skill that is dying in the league. I really value what this guy brings, I just wish he would push the ball and pace like he did last night. Coaching staff should be on him all the time to push the pace initiate the offense early.

Would like to see Frank experiment with starting someone like Cook or Daniels instead of Bradley, a few games. AB has value as a defender, but on offense, we can be so much more effective with an additional 3 point shooter that is a natural scorer - around one of the bigs, AD, Lebron and Danny Green. Similar to how when we were starting KCP, our O improved a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Nice to know we have a coach who knows how to make adjustments at halftime.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Good to see the 3 ball dropping a lot more. Nice that we're still racking up wins during the dog days of the season.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: