Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Fed looks like he has no legs.

He was nowhere near 100%. Novak admitted he was more concerned with watching Federer's movement at the start of the match, rather than just playing his own game. Once the first set was over, the win was not really in doubt for the Djoker.

I know that it was speculated that Roger had a groin injury, but when he called for the trainer after the first set, someone pointed towards the lower back area, so he may have also had a back problem that was hampering him. Regardless, after he couldn't lock up that first set, it was basically over.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

Rough way to lose the first set for Fed. Djokovic was perfect in the tie-break too. Hope Roger skips the French to get fully healthy for Wimbledon.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

Fed should definitely skip the French. He's gotta be at least 50/50 for Wimbledon if he goes in healthy.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

Kenin is somehow the champ. Really thought Muguruza would overpower her, but Kenin is a battler. Mugu battled well a lot of the time she didn't just give it to Kenin, but she also choked some of the time with doublefaults shots flying out.

Women's tour is mediocre right now. Kenin won basically because she is a fighter, mentally strong and handles herself pretty well emotionally in the next point, and has a lot of energy. Muguruza, like Barty, like Halep vs Muguruza, like Serena vs Wang, like Osaka v Gauff, like so many others just couldn't keep it together emotionally and that's just this one tournament. I like Kenin a lot for her spirit and how she kept finding the best in herself, but her game at this point should not have been worthy of a Slam win at 20. Andreescu is the real deal. What the above women's matches have in common was that the women who were supposed to win got tight and lost.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

I got Thiem for the win vs Novak. I think he's tired though, and Djokovic has cruised. But Thiem is now experienced and knows what to do late in Slams, so he may power his way to it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I got Thiem for the win vs Novak. I think he's tired though, and Djokovic has cruised. But Thiem is now experienced and knows what to do late in Slams, so he may power his way to it.

I've got the Djoker again tonight.

Kenin is tough. She's flown under the radar compared to most of the other top American women, for sure. But she's fearless, and I think it comes from being born in Russia and being so heavily influenced by her father. She may not hit super-hard, but she knows how to counterpunch and she directs the ball all around the court really well. And she moves great and that defense, man, she knows how to keep points going. I feel like the USTA develops a lot of players who know nothing but how to bash the ball, and there's some real nuance and defense to Kenin's game, and I really like watching her. Plus, she's feisty as hell out there and animated, and that's entertaining. Very happy for her.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic unyielding. Thiem second best. I get the sense this wasn't a classic five setter, and that Thiem really had a chance to assert control after the third but didn't.

I think both guys are going to push for the dirt Slam vs Nadal as hard as they ever have, get themselves physically and ready during the long clay season. Thought Thiem would win here but he might have finally gotten tired. I think the guy getting tired out by the semis will be Djokovic at the French. Nadal will know precisely how to prepare. I hope injury doesn't play a part for these three, nor Federer, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev. Younger guys should play all the big tournaments on clay for the experience. Zverev I think is quite good on clay. Long time till the next Slam for everything to shake out. Who knows what's up on the women's side. Lots of hard court tennis first.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Djokovic unyielding. Thiem second best. I get the sense this wasn't a classic five setter, and that Thiem really had a chance to assert control after the third but didn't.

I think both guys are going to push for the dirt Slam vs Nadal as hard as they ever have, get themselves physically and ready during the long clay season. Thought Thiem would win here but he might have finally gotten tired. I think the guy getting tired out by the semis will be Djokovic at the French. Nadal will know precisely how to prepare. I hope injury doesn't play a part for these three, nor Federer, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev. Younger guys should play all the big tournaments on clay for the experience. Zverev I think is quite good on clay. Long time till the next Slam for everything to shake out. Who knows what's up on the women's side. Lots of hard court tennis first.

You're right, it definitely was not a classic. Djoker was nowhere near his best. Not even close. Thiem did tire a bit in the 4th set, which is understandable given that he was on court for 6 more hours than Djokovic going into the final and also the fact that he was only on the regular one day of rest while Novak was on two days' rest. Djoker apparently was feeling a little bit under the weather and that could explain his relative lethargic play (for him). It's a testament to his will that he still found a way to win despite not having his best.

I like Thiem to win the French this year. Think he breaks through.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:

You're right, it definitely was not a classic. Djoker was nowhere near his best. Not even close. Thiem did tire a bit in the 4th set, which is understandable given that he was on court for 6 more hours than Djokovic going into the final and also the fact that he was only on the regular one day of rest while Novak was on two days' rest. Djoker apparently was feeling a little bit under the weather and that could explain his relative lethargic play (for him). It's a testament to his will that he still found a way to win despite not having his best.

I like Thiem to win the French this year. Think he breaks through.
I do too. Knows everything he needs to know, is maybe the strongest guy, and surface is perfect for him. Might need binoculars to see him returning serve w-a-y back like he does to launch his heavy returns. Djokovic better practice his drop shots to perfection to counter him and all the rest.
I hope somebody breaks Nadal's run. I expect Thiem will win, and second Nadal. I slightly prefer Djokovic just because I would love for a real calendar year Grand Slam run, plus who'd pick against him for the last two Slams at that point. Everyone would team up in their wish to stop him in the last two Slams, young and legends alike. Intensity and buildup and pressure would be amazing, like it was for Serena before her massive choke, with the addition of Nadal and Federer doing whatever they could, including supporting any other player, to stop Djokovic's assault on the calendar Slam and catching up to them in number of Slams and ending the GOAT debate (no matter if he ended up having more overall). If Djokovic won that, I'd love for him to win Wimbledon too, and then I would love for a Federer final upset Novak to steal it away in revenge, or a young guy like Thiem, Tsitsipas, or best of all KYRGIOS to take it in five. And if Novak did get it, that would be awesome too like a big achievement fighting off them and all the fans against him.
Wandered off into Fantasyland there, although the full Fantasy is Kyrgios suddenly maturing and battling for multiple Slams and number 1. I expect a lot less drama is actually happening. Starting with Thiem and Nadal mowing down the field every clay tournament including the French.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
You're right, it definitely was not a classic. Djoker was nowhere near his best. Not even close.
I didn't actually see that much of the tournament except for like 2 minute replays. ESPN has some on replay. What matches do you think were the best overall for high quality play and drama? Kyrgios Nadal? Thiem Nadal? Thiem Zverev? Kyrgios Khachanov (assuming hi quality not just long score). I don't think there were any classic women's matches, but I might just watch Osaka Gauff because it seems short and to try to see what the heck happened to Osaka there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: