Alex Caruso #4 in All Star West Guard voting with over 800K voters! Updated!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Alex Caruso to all the haters

Amazing and sad how casually people throw around the word "hater" these days.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Not sure if you're making our case of actually returning the power back to the fans, but from your post, the power of voting in the starters should definitely go back to the fans.

I like the new system. I don't think the all-star game would be improved by letting a block of fans push Zazu Pachulia in over Anthony Davis.

Who cares? The game is absolute garbage

I don't watch the game, but being name an all-star is an important honor, and I don't like to see that honor go to undeserving guys. If you don't care, that's cool.

People suggest otherwise. They feel he deserves it.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Not sure if you're making our case of actually returning the power back to the fans, but from your post, the power of voting in the starters should definitely go back to the fans.

I like the new system. I don't think the all-star game would be improved by letting a block of fans push Zazu Pachulia in over Anthony Davis.

I don't watch the game, but being name an all-star is an important honor, and I don't like to see that honor go to undeserving guys. If you don't care, that's cool.

Yep 🤷‍♂️
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Should we include Dwight in the 3pt contest too?

I get that the AS is a joke. The fact that Caruso is 4th or whatever in voting reflects that. What I am saying is that I wish it wasn’t. I would prefer if it meant something when we say “all we need is another all-star” because why would we say that if we aren’t talking about the best of the best?

By and large, the guys who actually do make the all-star team are the best players in the league, especially guys who make the team multiple times.

Just because Caruso is 4th in the fan voting doesn't mean he's an all-star.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

No, they think this is funny. They vote for him precisely because he doesn’t really deserve it.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

How about let fans vote for whomever they want?

If the point was to just select the best player, then why have a fan vote at all? Seems only ceremonial.

If you're worried that your colloquial understandings about "all-star players" in discussions with people will be misunderstood, then use a different word that is more correct, like "all-nba player" or just "star player."

I'd rather let the fans pick who they want, and pick players I don't agree with than try to police what/who people vote for.

Lighten up and let people have fun. The all star game is meant to be all about fun and the fans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

No, they think this is funny. They vote for him precisely because he doesn’t really deserve it.

I don't think that's it. Most of his votes are from Lakers fans who are just voting for the jersey.

Same reason that Lonzo Ball got 900,000 votes last year but only 300,000 or so this year. Change the jersey, lose the votes.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
How about let fans vote for whomever they want?

If the point was to just select the best player, then why have a fan vote at all? Seems only ceremonial.

If you're worried that your colloquial understandings about "all-star players" in discussions with people will be misunderstood, then use a different word that is more correct, like "all-nba player" or just "star player."

I'd rather let the fans pick who they want, and pick players I don't agree with than try to police what/who people vote for.

Lighten up and let people have fun. The all star game is meant to be all about fun and the fans.

Seriously
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
L4L wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I don't think that's it. Most of his votes are from Lakers fans who are just voting for the jersey.

Same reason that Lonzo Ball got 900,000 votes last year but only 300,000 or so this year. Change the jersey, lose the votes.

Yeah, you’re right.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

It's fine if you guys vote for him.. that is your right. Some are merely expressing how ridiculous the notion is. Which is their right as well.

Is it really unreasonable to wan't guys there based on merit?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
It's fine if you guys vote for him.. that is your right. Some are merely expressing how ridiculous the notion is. Which is their right as well.

Is it really unreasonable to wan't guys there based on merit?

Not at all
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Not really. He's 1.5 million votes behind the two starters. Basically, the voting is Luka/Harden and everyone else. He's just one of the better among the everyone else, as guys wearing Lakers jerseys often are.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Not really. He's 1.5 million votes behind the two starters. Basically, the voting is Luka/Harden and everyone else. He's just one of the better among the everyone else, as guys wearing Lakers jerseys often are.

This. I remember Clarkson not that long ago was like 6th in voting for guards when he was a Laker.

After what Silver did last year and just giving Wade and Dirk spots for God’s sake, who cares anymore. I just hope they don’t write clauses in contracts like escalators for being on the all star team.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Maybe they think it's funny and those that feel he deserves it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I get that the AS is a joke. The fact that Caruso is 4th or whatever in voting reflects that. What I am saying is that I wish it wasn’t. I would prefer if it meant something when we say “all we need is another all-star” because why would we say that if we aren’t talking about the best of the best?

By and large, the guys who actually do make the all-star team are the best players in the league, especially guys who make the team multiple times.

Totally agree. Feels like it used to mean best of the best.

Somewhere along the way we lost our way and the virtue of being an all-star means nothing other than perhaps you were worthy of being used as a prop to troll the league.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Somewhere along the way we lost our way and the virtue of being an all-star means nothing other than perhaps you were worthy of being used as a prop to troll the league.

Actually, we are disagreeing with each other. I believe that guys who actually make the all-star team are still the best of the best.

If anything, I think the new system actually makes that even more the case than in the past. The media and players votes tend to be less emotional than the fan votes, so their inclusion helps keep bad choices out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Actually, we are disagreeing with each other. I believe that guys who actually make the all-star team are still the best of the best.

If anything, I think the new system actually makes that even more the case than in the past. The media and players votes tend to be less emotional than the fan votes, so their inclusion helps keep bad choices out.

Including John Scott in the NHL a few years ago?

I’m not speaking to whether he gets there, but more, the idea that people would want him to get there.

We should want the best players in there. That we don’t, is a shame. Part of that blame does go to the NBA too.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I’m not speaking to whether he gets there, but more, the idea that people would want him to get there.

We should want the best players in there. That we don’t, is a shame. Part of that blame does go to the NBA too.

And back then, the players played more defense.

The alll-star game has turned into a celebration. The best players will get in. It’s great that Caruso is getting votes. He’s the current Horatio Alger story.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Notable all star selections of the past :

James Donaldson (7 ppg 9rbs 1.3 blks)
Jamaal Magloire
Dale Davis
Antonio Davis
Roy Hibbert
BJ Armstrong
Wally Sczerbiak
Mark Eaton
Mehmet Okur
Tyrone Hill
Anthony Mason
Brad Miller
Chris Gatling

How dare Alex Caruso be listed against those names of absolute legends. The best of the best. When we talk about needing all stars, we mean we need a Brad Miller, or Mehmet Okur. Possibly a Roy Hibbert.

We can't let Alex Caruso dilute this of all meaning for me. This is more important than fans having fun with a popularity contest. We must remain disciplined, like we have always done in the past.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

Jamaal Magloire
Dale Davis
Antonio Davis
Roy Hibbert
BJ Armstrong
Wally Sczerbiak
Mark Eaton
Mehmet Okur
Tyrone Hill
Anthony Mason
Brad Miller
Chris Gatling

How dare Alex Caruso be listed against those names of absolute legends. The best of the best. When we talk about needing all stars, we mean we need a Brad Miller, or Mehmet Okur. Possibly a Roy Hibbert.

We can't let Alex Caruso dilute this of all meaning for me. This is more important than fans having fun with a popularity contest. We must remain disciplined, like we have always done in the past.

Chris Gatling was the two time Sun Belt player of the year. Show some (bleep) respect.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Voted today for the first time. I'll be voting everyday from now on until it closes. Laker nation is strong
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I am talking about the NBA. I know nothing about hockey.

As long as fans have voted, they've always made some bad choices. We were the fan base that stuffed the ballot box to get AC Greene in over Karl Malone.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

Jamaal Magloire
Dale Davis
Antonio Davis
Roy Hibbert
BJ Armstrong
Wally Sczerbiak
Mark Eaton
Mehmet Okur
Tyrone Hill
Anthony Mason
Brad Miller
Chris Gatling

Why disparage all those players just to defend the right of voters to support a novelty selection. I get it, Caruso is a fun guy to root for. And because of the Laker connection it’s comical to see him getting his name mentioned.

But it is an act worthy of the clown show the ASG has become.

All the players you listed were starters who had great seasons they were chosen. A few had long careers. Some role players that had one or two magical seasons. Even Donaldson, who you were kind enough to point out his stats, was a starter playing 31 mpg on a team that went to the WCFs. Top 20 in several categories in his All star year.

Caruso is a nice 20mpg energy guy off the bench. He’s popular for being the pesky accountant. Half the board keeps proposing trades/ moves that would either send him away or reduce his mpg for a “scoring PG”. Even ones that are out of the league or one year rentals.

Caruso being voted into the ASG is a joke. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise needs to take a long look in the mirror. I root for him but he doesn’t even belong on the list above of one year wonders.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Other teams fans being upset that Alex Caruso is getting all-star votes is entertaining. Lakers fans being upset that Caruso is getting all-star votes is straight up weird.

Lighten up, people. Geez.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
Other teams fans being upset that Alex Caruso is getting all-star votes is entertaining. Lakers fans being upset that Caruso is getting all-star votes is straight up weird.

Lighten up, people. Geez.
This times about a million
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: