Honest discussion about Pit Bull dogs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I've had quite a few challenging dogs over the years. My current house mate is a 2 1/2 year old 60 pound female rescue pit. She is a sweet and loving pet, but I can see the difference in this breed in comparison to others I've had (Huskies, GSs, Golden Retriever, Labs, Jack Russell) and it is obvious she would be a handful without the proper training and care. In simple terms, the owner has to command respect while understanding the dog's body language and needs. One has to lead the dog and train it to follow which she does to a fault as Omar alluded to. One has to control food so the dog regards the human as the source of sustenance. One has to control the dog's schedule and freedom of movement with crate training. One has to draw clear lines and then enforce them when they are crossed - no nipping of hands to get your attention, no gaining the higher ground by standing on hind legs or climbing on the couch. If she wants to go in or out, she sits and waits until invited - not when the door opens, but when she is commanded to go. When the doorbell rings, she sits until dismissed. No begging for food ever, in fact she knows not to come into the kitchen. She eats food from me in a bowl that I present to her full and take away 15 minutes later.

She has an easy demeanor, responds well to treats for training and craves praise and affection. She loves other dogs and behaves quite well at the dog park. Nevertheless, the primal kill instinct is present in everything she does. She will fetch relentlessly and won't quit until you do. No matter what else is going on, she will hunt, kill and retrieve that ball every single time no matter how long you last or how tired she gets. She loves squeaky toys and will bite compulsively, each subsequent 'scream' triggering another bite. Using her front paws to secure her 'prey', she'll chomp down down and use the considerable strength of her entire body to rip the toy apart. Nothing survives. Her bite is substantial but it is her determination and pull strength that get the job done.

Overcoming the kill instinct involves:
1. Showing dominance with your body language. Not yelling, certainly not hitting, but the simple act of standing without looking at her triggers her submission. Her food belongs to me, so presenting her with a bowl of food triggers loyalty. Her ball belongs to me, so playing with her triggers affection. My praise and petting when she does good things gives her pride. My treats in exchange for her tricks keeps her happy and thinking about pleasing me. Her crate is the only thing that is hers, so respecting her quiet time makes her feel safe and comfortable. Being around other dogs let's her feel as part of a pack and being around people keeps her from feeling threatened by the exciting activity and loud noise that people surround themselves with.

2. Understanding their needs. Dogs need both attention and discipline, rules and consequences. Exercise and training and baths and play and a crate that she enjoys as her safe, quiet place to be alone. Knowing your dog's motivation and needs and understanding their body language will help you anticipate problems so you can remove her from a situation well before things get physical. For example, my girl was born into a home with a big, mean GS. I know seeing another GS will make her nervous so I watch her interactions with those dogs a bit more carefully. When I see her demeanor change (her first move is to run away from the other dog) I whistle to gain her attention so I can divert it back to playing fetch.

3. Food and exercise. She needs to be exhausted daily to keep her tired and calm. She plays fetch constantly, gets a long walk every night and a trip to the Dog Park as often as possible, usually 2-3 times per week. She gets healthy food, marrow bones and bully sticks. Regular checkups make sure she is healthy and not in pain. Grooming, trimming nails and caring for her teeth and gums make sure she can eat and exercise properly and stay healthy.

This is all basic dog training, but I sincerely doubt that the problem dogs are cared for in this way which is why this dog problem is actually a people problem. I say in jest to friends that my dog is vicious killer, which is funny because she is super cute and well behaved. But Pits are not a good choice for a family who want a snuggly pet and fall in live with a cute little puppy. Aggressive breeds require aggressive attention and care and it is imperative that potential owners commit themselves to the process or someone could get hurt. The 'worst' dog I ever had was the Jack Russell, but his size and strength wasn't enough to cause real concern. That is certainly not the case with a Pit Bull.

This is cash, my man. Thank you so much for taking the time on this.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Since Jan. 1 at my work there have been 6 ICU transfers down to us for dog bites/mauling/eyeballs ripped out...2 toddlers, 4 infants. All pit bulls.

but yeah, #notallpitbulls!

There are wikis on confirmed wild animal caused deaths in the US vs dogs and everything else but dogs are spaced out by decade on a chart. The dog incidents are spaced out by individual years because they're so relatively frequent compared to, say, a lethal snakebite or shark attack. Most of them are pitbulls, rotts, GSes, and huskies that have killed infants, toddlers, children, and/or older folk. Some are owners as well, dogs turn on them. Those breeds shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a family with young children, imo. I perused some of the descriptions and over and over were cases of "dog kills infant while owner was asleep". There are no doubt well-trained dogs who might not do that, but I would never trust any of those breeds inside the house w/ a baby no matter what. Some cases were from dogs attacking infants with the owners there and they couldn't pry them off in time, especially elder owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Just my opinion, but I think it's irresponsible of any parent with a small child at home to have any of the dog breeds with more dangerous, aggressive bites, and among those are pit bulls. You can include Rottweilers and other breeds. Like, could any dog get angry and, in theory, wig out and bite? Sure. But my mixed terrier, even if he for some reason got angry and showed his teeth, isn't going to inflict serious damage on the same level that we've seen pit bulls and other breeds clearly do. So that's where I am on the issue.

That said, pit bulls are awesome dogs if all environments are equal.

Out of curiosity, do German Shepherds (or basically all big dogs) fall into this category for you?

Edit: Also, my sis had a chunk of her face bitten off by one of those "small and friendly" dogs whereas my German Shepherd has never even attempted to bite someone after he reached the age of 3 months old.

I could look this up, but I'm just going to be honest with you and say that I'm not sure how German Shepherds are in terms of anger. I just know that they are bigger dogs and that they seem to be used by the police a lot. I've never really been around them in my family, nor had friends that had them, so I have nothing to offer even anecdotally here.

As for what your sister experienced, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope there were no lasting effects. I am the "uncle" of a family friend who is now about 25, and when he was 3 he had his face essentially torn off by a Rottweiler and underwent a lot of surgeries to put his face back together. Thankfully, there were no long-term effects for him, although scars on the right side of his face from the surgeries are clearly visible. (They are light scars, but you still see them.)

I got a nasty bite on the thigh from a GS when I was 12. I was luckily able to scoot into a friend's house thru the inner garage door (the outer garage door was open). I was running and collided with the dog when it appeared from the other side of the front of a van in my friend's driveway. The dog tumbled over and ran back and bit me pretty good, had a large bruise for weeks. I probably scared the dog, but it was an aggressive individual to begin with (tied on chain most of the time, neglected) and it happened to get out of its back yard that day. Did the tetanus shot, etc, parents were pissed at the owners, of course. Then again, another neighbor had a female GS who was a playful, happy dog. Where I draw the line from even GSes to pits and rottweilers is that they pack much more power, obviously. If a couple of pitbulls decide to attack you, even if you're a healthy adult male, lotsa luck...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

whoops

https://wgntv.com/2020/02/11/man-dies-after-unprovoked-dog-attack-inside-plainfield-residence/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: