CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS – 12-25-19 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fakethefunk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

Of course I would like to have seen a win, but I saw some positives.....

The Lakers were able to slow down Paul George and Lou Williams. Kuzma looked like he got some of his mojo back. Let's hope he builds on the momentum. He caught the Clips by surprise. We should have utilized him more. I noticed Kawhi deflected more when someone tall and fast was on him. Kuzma was on him a few times and I thought he did well.

KOBE BRYANT
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I remember one thing that stood out about the game. Was watching with my son. He was asking me - dad why are you upset? He was alluding to the Lakers being up pretty big at that point and I getting upset (yelling a bit at the screen).

It was because Lebron and co. were shooting 3s being up big, and taking a lot of shots that they could not execute/finish. You felt that this was going to bite them in the butt as a Clipper run was going to come.

We really need to take care of those 3 point shots. A championship level team knows it's strengths. 3 point shooting is not a strength of ours. Lebron and AD set the tone. If Lebron and AD (especially Lebron) are going to shoot as many 3s are they are, they are sending a message to our team that is where they feel secure and good. We do not want to play that way. We want to find players on the move and try to get the ball moving inside more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

fakethefunk wrote:
Of course I would like to have seen a win, but I saw some positives.....

The Lakers were able to slow down Paul George and Lou Williams. Kuzma looked like he got some of his mojo back. Let's hope he builds on the momentum. He caught the Clips by surprise. We should have utilized him more. I noticed Kawhi deflected more when someone tall and fast was on him. Kuzma was on him a few times and I thought he did well.

Lakers will be fine

After game I was worried

After Xmas game I am totally confident in ability of Lakers to beat Clippers in 7 game series

Lakers dominated this game from start until 3 minutes mark of third quarter

Then they got crazy with three pointers trying to break game open

Kawhi very predictable offense in fourth quarter

ISO or pick and roll free throw line extended dribble hard to right

One to two dribble pull up or three

If those don’t fall then crossover or spin trying to bull himself into paint

Dwight, AD, Bron, and Kuzma can all handle that no problem

Just don’t foul and give free throws

Kawhi not elevating and dunking anymore just like Bron

He is driving for free throws or layups

Unlike Bron, Kawhi DOES have a floater

Just make him shoot over the top and have Dwight, AD, or McGee challenge at rim

This is where Caruso should be playing the whole fourth quarter and half of the third quarter

His recovery and “lock and trail” 100 times better than Rondo

No doubles for Kawhi our high

The double should be late 15 feet in or at the rim

PG13 a joke

Ten years later, he STILL can’t do anything against an injured Lebron
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I will do a shorter mini recap one, since I don't think anyone really cares about a recap this late into it - and just the main players. I won't go into too much detail about specific plays or stats .... just a mini-summary.

Lebron May deserve some kind of pass because word has come out today that he was injured with Beverly running into his groin (like that was some accident, Beverly). However he set the tone on offense by being passive and over dribbling. It was not until Kuzma came in and had one of those exceptional nights that the Lakers even had any kind of lead. Kuzma will not play like that each game. So I felt Lebron often was not attacking the paint and looking for openings the more physical way. He played a soft, passive game. 2-12 three point shooting says it all. Take away the 3 point shooting, Lebron is 7-11 in this game. Let that sink in, with Dwight setting him screens up high, Lebron has an open 2 point shot right away, and a good path at a drive. From there when help comes (if it does) he has an open corner 3 point shooter. Pretty simple offense we do not run as Lebron was prefering to use the screens and any time he got a shot to pull up for a 3. He played as if he has Luka Doncic tough from 3. Defensively, I thought he did some good things.

AD AD played the right way in this one. Had some issues getting the ball in his spots, and we missed him a few times when he got free from his man and had an open dunk inside (we were not good at finding bigs in movement at all in this game). Took a few too many 3s, for my taste, but they were good spot up in the flow of the offense 3s. Defense gives that to us, but they also give that to us for a reason. AD was being doubled on a lot of his plays close to the basket. I would guess in a playoff series, the coaching staff would maybe look at those RS sets and see where they could exploit a defense better. Finished the game with 24 points, but I felt we needed to go to him a lot more. Defense was solid, not elite game changing, like usual. Again like with Lebron, you take away his 3 point shooting, He is shooting 7-11 on 2 point shots. Why not get more quality 2 point looks, for the superstars instead of bailing a defense out with 3s?

Green 2-7 on three pointers. He is getting wide open looks. In a big game, he needs to show up. He is basically our 3rd option when we go to our starters (in my book he should be our 4th and McGee our 3rd). And when he can not make the open looks, ouch. Defensively he was also being less of a defender than you would hope.

Bradley Giving a good effort on D, but offense is just ugly. Can not get enough flow going with him. Thought maybe it was Rondo, but we seperated him and Rondo, same results for AB, while Rondo has a much better game. Since his return he has had 1 impact game. He may not be 100%. He has lost that mid-range game that was working for him. We need to get him to take more shots closer to the basket if we can. 0-2 from 3, and both were open 3s.

McGee/Howard I actually liked the job both bigs did. McGee was a major rim protector and helped a lot on D. We did not really set him up much, and Lebron threw some poor passes to McGee that he was not expecting. Dwight, like usual, we barely used on O as a target. But Dwight was setting impact screens and some impact rebounding. Shame we under utilize these guys. Clippers do not have a match up for them, and I feel our Cs can outplay Zubac/Harrell easily on offense. But we let the Clips off the hook (and other teams) by ignoring our bigs on O. Just 4 shots for our bigs in this game, combined. Thumbs up to them for the 12 boards and 6 blocks in just 27 minutes.

KCP/Kuzma Major ups to these guys. Changed the game. Kuzma was outstanding in that 1st half. He was the main reason we took the lead. Played Kawhi straight up and took it to him. I love that. KCP continues to be reliable on both ends. Shame for these guys, and even Rondo. I thought our bench with Dwight, Kuzma, KCP, Rondo was legit contender good. They came to win this game.

Rondo - Not a bad game from Rondo. Thought he did some positive things and filled in his role well. Took the ball to the basket and attempted shots there when D left him for AD. Took open 3s. Is not a capable or strong scoring guard and that is a weakness. Needs to keep shooting anytime the defense gives him a good high percentage look. Not his fault team shot 12-45 from 3, but certainly we could use a guard that is better at making open shots.

Caruso - Same as Green/AB. Thought this was a dud outing from Caruso.

Vogel - 45 three point shots? 27 minutes only for the bigs? I like Frank a lot, but I think he has to start being like Phil or Pop and be willing to bench Lebron/his superstar for bad shots and bad play on offense. I know he does not have the same all time coaching stature the other 2 have, but Lebron has to be reigned in on some of the stuff he is doing. Giving Lebron free reign to run the offense how he choose is Vogel's vision. He wants Lebron at PG. That's ok. But when your PG makes poor choices, you got to be willing to bench them.

We were up 15 at one point, and we were able to put 60+ on them in the 1st. However watching the game with my son, I remember telling him. We won't win this one if we keep playing this way. It was too much reliance on Kuzma heroics (no way Kuzma is having another half like that in the 2nd) and Lebron is not playing aggressive. 3rd Q, screaming at the TV hoping that he will wake up. He does, especially of some great Dwight screens, yet, again settles for the perimeter game. Very lazy game by Lebron on offense. Game like these are physical. Lebron didn't bring that physicality.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I am just happy DB took the night off
Bigsmile when I saw DIY

My opinion.. Not worried one bit.
Our team seems to be a bit chaotic not knowing roles and
the coaching staff doing a lot lot more than just trying to win games

Where did Kuz get the confidence to just nail those shots sending electricity through all of Los Angeles.. They will find that and help him repeat .. bottle it up.. be like Tracy McGrady woot

Dwight deserves more dunks or whatever...

Where was Dudley

I think this was a game where our coaches were, sadly for us, more interested in continually working on finding players strengths and figuring out what doesn't work.. Come on now.. Edison and the Lightbulb

Great game and not worried in the least.. lots of time for our team to gain composure

Quote:
“I wouldn’t say we’re upset — just disappointed,” Jared Dudley, another veteran Lakers reserve, said after the loss. “We played well enough to win up until the last three, four minutes. Then it was mental errors, turnovers, bad fouls, bad defensive rebounding.

”Any team that loses four in a row has definitely lost some momentum, but it’s the necessary process for us to get through our adversity and have the season we want at the end.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/26/sports/basketball/lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-lakers-clippers.html
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28369823/steve-kerr-warriors-limited-james-harden-innovating-defense

Just run Steve Kerr “James Harden” defense

Substitute “Kawhi Leonard” for “James Harden”

Have your younger legs

Bradley
KCP
Caruso
Kuzma
Carok
AD

Do ball denial

What are Flippers going to do?

Lob passes for Kawhi?

Zubac dunking on AD, McGee, Dwight?

Beverly going 5 for 10 from three point range?

Lebron can play PG13 even

PG13 terrible efficiency inside the three point line and in midrange

Take Kawhi out of game

Flippers powerless

Can see this in all load management games
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Lakers outplayed them for 3.5 quarters but Clippers were able to get the late run and "steal" the game.

What ruined it for me (in addition to the outcome) was watching one official make 95% of the calls in the game, most of the bad ones against the Lakers of course.

Riddle me this:

Why is Scott Foster on the court for every big Lakers game?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: