LAKERS -at- BUCKS - 12/19 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- BUCKS - 12/19 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Collision Course... The two leading teams in the NBA hadn’t lost back-to-back games heading into this one. Something was going to give tonight.

The league has never had two teams with as good a record face each other at this point in the season, so this was a much anticipated battle.

The Lakers offense stalled out when LeBron sat in the first quarter and didn’t get on track when he returned. L.A. had just 24 points in the first 17 minutes. (For comparison, over the next 17 minutes the Lakers scored 51 points…and would outscore the Bucks from that point forward.)

While the offense eventually got on track, their D struggled. They gave up open looks ballwatching or switching, then sagging off shooters. The Bucks would score 42 in the second quarter and sink 10 threes in that first half, leading by as many as 21 points.

The Lakers would get within striking distance winning the third on 63% shooting as AD got more aggressive and our shooters hit some threes. Vogel would ride AD in that second half, changing up his normal sub pattern to keep him out there to start the fourth with the Lakers down 8.

This was the 8th of 9 games on the road for the Lakers. Not an ideal situation, for a fourth quarter comeback. The Lakers couldn’t reel the Bucks in, even with Giannis picking up his fifth foul and having to sit midway through the fourth.

That opening stretch of 17 minutes was a killer for the Lakers. Add in Giannis hitting a career high five threes and what are you going to do? The Lakers fell 111-104. Hopefully, the Lakers are on track out of the gates next time they face the Bucks.

I’ll gladly take 6-2 on the road during this stretch. It would have been 7-1 if AD was healthy for the last one.

LeBron -- -- The paint was packed early on. Even when he got some layups, he was splitting defenders and finishing over a third early on. He had a few shots blocked. He’d get the triple-double in this one. His jumper didn’t abandon him like the last game as he’d knock down three threes. LeBron had some momentum killers tonight. Down 9, he missed a pull-up three in transition, meanwhile the Bucks hit a three on the other end. The Bucks lead possibly 6, but instead 12. Big switch there. Late in the game when we got stops, he had a couple of really costly turnovers in the final two minutes. One he tried to find AD in the paint and it was picked off, next time down he fumbled a dribble away and any chance of a comeback. He finished with 4 turnovers. Awful +/- tonight as we were a -14 when he was on the court. He moved into 9th in the league in assists all time. A little foul trouble tonight. He picked up his fifth foul with 10 minutes left. There was a foul early in the game, we could have reviewed and overturned (McGee actually fouled the man, not LeBron it appeared). There was one in the fourth on a block/charge against Giannis that we could have reviewed, also. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 8-19 shooting (3-7 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 12 boards, 11 assists, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -14.

Davis -- -- Back on the court and he got big minutes tonight. He started to get going in the third, scoring on the move on runners and fouls. He had Lopez backing up as he attacked with speed. The first half, he just looked lost in our offense (scoreless in the first). Once he got going facing the basket, he was rolling. Those floaters and runners were dropping, and when they weren’t the bucks sent him to the line again and again (14-17 from the line). Defensively, the difference in this game might have been Giannis’s three ball. You typically give Giannis that shot, but he was sinking them (and AD wasn’t). There was a possession in the fourth where AD bricked a wide open three and Giannis pushed it up and swished a three with AD backing up. That was a pivotal switch as the Lakers were losing the opening minutes of the fourth. That shot also was a career high fifth three for Giannis...so there’s that. AD went 0-6 from three in this game, while Giannis went 5-8. AD would cut the lead in this one to 7 off a breakaway dunk over Giannis later, but we couldn’t reel them in during the final minutes. Vogel rode him all second half. Consider these playoff minutes and consider that AD was a +6 in his 43 minutes. So in the 5 minutes he sat, we were a -13. Ouch. The Stats: He scored 36 points on 11-25 shooting (0-6 from three, 11-17 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 43 minutes. He was a +6.

Green -- -- A bit of a Robert Horry type of game from him. He seems to sleep through games and step up in these really big matchups. Hopefully, come playoff time, he activates with consistency like Horry did. He led the Lakers in scoring in the first half. That happened because he was knocking down threes (made four) and AD and LeBron were a combined 6-20. Green would go 7-12 from three, getting all 21 of his points from the three line. Unfortunately, we gave George Hill 21 points, as well. Defensively, I swear Hill wasn’t guarded for stretches. Some of that was on Green, who matched up with him for stretches, but also Middleton, as well. Some was just poor help D and others just ball watching. Good to see Vogel giving Green minutes when the shot was dropping. About time, too. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 7-13 shooting (7-12 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 35 minutes. He was a +9.

McGee -- -- Quiet night from McGee. He couldn’t impose his size or energy effectively. He had a couple of blocks, swatting Giannis on one to get the Lakers on the break for a score. He had a dunk off a rare AD/McGee screen roll sequence. Show me that again. He’d get his other dunk when LeBron drew the D and fired a pass to him under the hoop. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-2 shooting to go with 3 boards, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 17 minutes. He was a +6.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Offensively, he was aggressive and decisive. I liked that especially since Rondo, Bradley and Caruso were all playing indecisive and seconding guessing. KCP would sink a couple of threes (a nice one giving it up in the corner and getting it back from LeBron in the second half), and also score on the move, either attacking off the three line or cutting. Some ball watching defensively. What would typically happen is he would be looking at a scramble in the pain or Giannis and his man would relocate for a wide open three or cut. “We tried to focus so much on Giannis we were blowing a lot of coverage and they were knocking down open shots,” KCP said. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-12 shooting (2-6 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +6.

Caruso -- -- Not much to this game. He had some defensive moments in the first half, knocking a ball loose to help get a stop or getting Giannis to travel. He’d take on three and miss it wide right, but really a nothing game from him. Our bench guards were awful to mediocre at best. Not a good one to disappear in. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three and had 1 assist and 1 foul in 17 minutes. He was a -11.

Bradley -- -- He was not up for this fight. Indecisive offensively, he was just invisible out there. More turnovers than points. Just awful. Seemed like he had no idea what his game was. Once again, he was way short on a three. Pretty predictable right now. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 18 minutes. He was a -13.

Howard -- -- Just 2 points tonight. The bench had 4 points in total. They played a combined 75 minutes and had just 4 points. Thankfully, our starters had it going, but it would have been nice if Dwight joined the fight tonight. He had the team low -15 in 15 minutes.The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -15.

Rondo -- -- Awful. He had 5 turnovers and 3 assists. Killed me when he didn’t shoot a corner three on a LeBron kickout. He then dribbled into a shotclock violation. So add that to his turnovers. We were down 10 in the second half and that was a painful, painful possession. He was genuinely useless out there tonight. He forced some passes off bad reads. I think if this were a series, he probably wouldn’t have some of those reads. But he also shouldn’t have that many minutes. Rondo had the Lakers other 2 bench points, getting a layup goaltended (pretty close). But he was another one who didn’t show up to the fight. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a -18.

Daniels -- -- A short 3 minutes of action where he had a nice ball fake but couldn’t knock down the three. We actually played fine when he was out there. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three in 3 minutes. He was a +6.

Dudley -- -- Foul prone when he entered the game. That was it for him. The Stats: He didn’t score or shoot and had 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 4 minutes. He was a -4.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Both LeBron and AD said they tip their hats to Giannis. You could pick any of his five threes. Let’s take Giannis’s career-high, dribble-up three from the wing as the key moment. AD wasn’t expecting that, and Giannis hit that right after AD missed a three on the other end. “I’m going keep shooting them. I don’t care how many I miss,” AD said.

Key Substitution: AD wanted to stay in the game at the end of the third, so Vogel let his guy run all second half. Too bad he couldn’t have played all 48 because we were good with him on the floor (+6 in 43 minutes). In the first half, we ran AD in our usual rotation. Giannis sat early in the first quarter to come back later. When AD sat out while Giannis was in, we got burned. We might want to just mirror that substitution. Always keep AD out there with Giannis.

Key Stats: The obvious one is Giannis hitting 5 of the Bucks 16 threes. But the sneaky stat is the Bucks 14 steals to the Lakers 4. Wasn’t great D early on by the Lakers. They switched more than we’ve seen all season. Surprisingly, that didn’t really help in defending the three line. They’d switch on Giannis but then sag to help and leave shooters. The Lakers also got burned by ballwatching as Bucks players relocated behind the backs of our defenders.

Coaching Tech: Vogel picked up a technical foul, running on court after they didn’t call a foul as AD was trying to grab an offensive board.

Coach’s Challenge: We didn’t use it. Could Vogel have reviewed the blocking foul on LeBron on Giannis and have it overturned to start the fourth? Giannis picking up his fifth foul in that situation. Or what about that early foul given to LeBron when it looked like McGee? I tend to think you only use your challenges early on if they involve fouls to stars. Otherwise, save it for that big play late in the game. But when you’ve got a chance to save a foul to LeBron who was in foul trouble or maybe give one to Giannis to put him in foul trouble, I think you take that gamble.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Sad first!
These ones must be tough, thanks DB.
Pretty rad for the Bucks to win by 7 at home, in the midst of our 5 game road trip, with a hobbled AD.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I am not going to rag after a loss. However, this is on Frank and he has to take some blame because of minute allocation. He needs to sit Rondo (I have said this before) when he stinks up the joint. You can tell in his first minute or two of playing time whether he will be decent and engaged or be the worst player on the court. How he got 18 minutes of playing time is beyond me. He was HORRIBLE on both sides of the ball. Our D was also nonexistent. George Hill got free reign and DESTROYED us (he won the game for the Bucks).

Last edited by RI Laker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Flashback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Wow what a preformance by bench players.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject:

This had the same feel as the season opener.

Green shows up and our bench doesn't. It felt like only AD and Green we're fully engaged. I know LeBron had foul trouble but he was lacking killer instinct, energy, will, whatever you want to call it...

It's one thing for our role players to miss a shot, but these guys don't even attempt them???

Rondo. My goodness. He is horrible against any athletic team. How many forced lob passes? Time and Time again he tries the same lob pass.

This game was also poorly coached. Like last game this needed a boost in shooting threat and yet we had rondo and Avery?

McGee struggled and seemingly does so when he's overly excited. Very poor decision making
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Flashback wrote:

Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Flashback wrote:

I think the whole team looks tired.

It is only DB, who can go on forever... Thank you!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Just watched last 8 minutes of fourth. During next couple of days want to watch the rest of the quarters, with particular interest of the 2nd and 3rd.

There's alot of ifs, buts, candies and nuts with this, but to simplify, keep this in mind (and I admit I am "over" simplifying):

Lakers were down, with 30 seconds left in the game, 109-104.

Giannis is basically a 32% 3 point shooter. He went 5-8.

AD is basically a 32% 3 point shooter. He went 0-6.

2 shot difference either way wouldnt have surprised anyone, and in fact if Giannis went 3-8 Buck fans would still be elated. In either scenario, theres a 6 point swing there and Lakers, with 30 seconds left, are leading the game by 1 point.

Considering the second quarter implosion, bench playing like garbage, George Hill turning into Lou Williams, etc, etc...and you're in their home court and playing the final game of an east coast road swing. Honestly? Not. too. Shabby.

p.s. Unlike the "street lights, not spot lights" team across the hall from us, our squad didnt fold like a cheap suit under the Bucks pressure. Instead, our squad fought back and got a few blows in, and made things at least a little interesting. You can take that to the bank.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Just watched last 8 minutes of fourth. During next couple of days want to watch the rest of the quarters, with particular interest of the 2nd and 3rd.

There's alot of ifs, buts, candies and nuts with this, but to simplify, keep this in mind (and I admit I am "over" simplifying):

Lakers were down, with 30 seconds left in the game, 109-104.

Giannis is basically a 32% 3 point shooter. He went 5-8.

AD is basically a 32% 3 point shooter. He went 0-6.

2 shot difference either way wouldnt have surprised anyone, and in fact if Giannis went 3-8 Buck fans would still be elated. In either scenario, theres a 6 point swing there and Lakers, with 30 seconds left, are leading the game by 1 point.

Considering the second quarter implosion, bench playing like garbage, George Hill turning into Lou Williams, etc, etc...and you're in their home court and playing the final game of an east coast road swing. Honestly? Not. too. Shabby.

p.s. Unlike the "street lights, not spot lights" team across the hall from us, our squad didnt fold like a cheap suit under the Bucks pressure. Instead, our squad fought back and got a few blows in, and made things at least a little interesting. You can take that to the bank.

I have the same feeling. We had some weaknesses exposed and hopefully they will be addressed, but given all the circumstances, I'm not disappointed.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject:

I expected to lose this game. The killer was losing to the Pacers on Tuesday night. They should have won that game even without AD. Then this road trip would have looked a lot better.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject:

Expected loss. I'm not losing my head. Good for our weaknesses to be addressed.
DillonSD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

We looked tired, they were at home, they shot significantly better.

If Lakers play even close to the best we've seen of them this is a much different game
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

Last game on the road always favors the home team. Thanks for the recap I really didn't want.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! This loss is nothing to be worried about. Was glad to see us battle back to make a game of it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

Numbers

Q1 17-23
Q2 29-42
Q3 35-24
Q4 23-22

That 2nd quarter D and 3 point shooting from Milwaukee hurt us bad.
We outplayed them in the second half.

Points in the Paint 42-34 LA +8
3 pointers 12-35 (-4, 12 points more for MIL from 3)
FGs 37-80 (+1 for LA in FGM)
Fastbreak points 14 (+3 for LA)
Turnovers 18 (+5 for LA)

The Lakers did not defend the 3 well in this one, and it hurt them. They were often falling for the trap of letting Giannis draw attention. Or not recognizing that Milwaukee wanted that 3 point shot first, before anything else. We can take this team in a playoff series. We have to make some adjustments. Also I challenge Giannis to make 5 three pointers a game in a 7 game playoff series. If he makes some of the shots he made last night, throughout a playoff series, so bet it. You live with that.

AD was not really AD in the first half, he was getting his rhythm back. Lebron took too long to figure out what to do against this elite Milwaukee defense. In the first half we saw Lebron a little confused, almost, a little slower to react because Milwaukee was taking away alot of the openings our offense generates usually with Lebron as a ballhandler.

Overall I think we are not getting up for big games in the RS as much as we are trying to just improve and manage. Not playing AD in the last one and then throwing him in against the other best team in the league was rough, because he was not 100%. We do not seem to care about these games any more than other games, as for us it is all about longterm improvement.

I expect a lot of overreaction to this one, but I do not think Milwaukee can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. We need to make some changes to our rotation, and one of the key ones will be starting Bradley and not playing Rondo-Bradley together. Another rotational change will be us needing to get Kuzma some minutes because in this game we saw how we will need AD at the 5 sometimes for more than just the closing moments of a game. So Kuzma has more value in a game like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Great recap as always, and I also appreciate the insightful replies/comments in this thread. Glad the Lakers didn't fold. On to the next one.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers played a (bleep) ton of games on the road lately.
We were on the 5th game of a road trip, while Bucks were playing after a 3 day rest.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
We were on the 5th game of a road trip, while Bucks were playing after a 3 day rest.

And a loss, a loss where they were looking beyond a Porzingis led/Luka Less Mavs team. So they were getting up for this game big time. We haven't gotten up for many games this season, IMO, We play at a pretty consistent effort level, but physically I think the players are tired after these road games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

And a loss, a loss where they were looking beyond a Porzingis led/Luka Less Mavs team. So they were getting up for this game big time. We haven't gotten up for many games this season, IMO, We play at a pretty consistent effort level, but physically I think the players are tired after these road games.

I agree.
December's schedule was just brutal. Basically a game every 2 days, most of them on the road.

We played 5 more games on the road than at home. That's a LOT.

For comparison, the Clips and Rockets so far played 2 more home games than road games. Bucks and Mavs played 3 more home games than road games. Nuggets played 4 more home games than road games.

We are doing great considering the number of away games.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

... a mere bum in the road on the way to #17!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

The loss doesn’t worry me. Not learning from this loss should worry people

Glad that AD wanted to play in this game

This was the last game of a long road trip for the Lakers - not to be used as excuse

This is still a brand new team that is learning its collective identity

If the Greek Freak is making more 3s than AD, one has to tip one’s hat to him

Either the Lakers were a bit slow or the Bucks had a little more energy (probably a combination of both) who wanted to show to a national audience that they are for real (they are)

People are complaining about the bench, despite the fact that the bench didn’t play its normal minutes

Lakers have to address the reality that they are dependent on LBJ & AD to play at a very high level in every game because no one else can create on their own (Bucks’ game plan). JKidd and Hollins need to provide more options and counters, especially against very good defensive teams while utilizing its overall height advantage

If the outside shooting is not there, opposing teams will pack the paint - as they did in this game. Only Danny Green stepped up. Maybe Quinn Cook will play more because of his outside shooting

Surprise Bradley and Rondo didn’t stepped up

One wonders if Kuzma would have made a difference, probably not a great deal. Given his current and ongoing physical woes, when will he be up at full speed

Our centers didn’t show up today. With neither being an offensive threat, Bucks didn’t have to guard them, hence the need for counters - screens, picks, blocking out, rebounds, etc

Side Note
Funny that Magic is claiming that he is a big part of putting together this team and it’s success. LOVE Magic, but just like his variety shoe and time as HC has shown, one needs to use this beloved man in ways that he has great skills. Surprisingly, Rob has shown that he is a capable GM
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Season to date plus minus.

LeBron James 235
Danny Green 167
Anthony Davis 166
Alex Caruso 138
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 101
Dwight Howard 100
JaVale McGee 83
Kyle Kuzma 80
Quinn Cook 59
Avery Bradley 46
Rajon Rondo 42
Troy Daniels 15
Kostas Antetokounmpo 2
Jared Dudley -10
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
danzag wrote:

I agree.
December's schedule was just brutal. Basically a game every 2 days, most of them on the road.

We played 5 more games on the road than at home. That's a LOT.

For comparison, the Clips and Rockets so far played 2 more home games than road games. Bucks and Mavs played 3 more home games than road games. Nuggets played 4 more home games than road games.

We are doing great considering the number of away games.

Despite such a tough road schedule, we're 7-3 so far this month. That's pretty elite.

Our schedule from here on out will be more even. We'll have a nice mix of home and road games, games against great teams and non-great teams.

The one thing I'd say is this game showed how much we need another long 3-and-D player so that when a guy like Giannis switches off his main defender it won't hurt us as much.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: