EX-NBA COMMISH DAVID STERN SUFFERS BRAIN HEMORRHAGE

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: EX-NBA COMMISH DAVID STERN SUFFERS BRAIN HEMORRHAGE

... Emergency Surgery
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

wow, this sounds terrible...hopeful for the best outcome possible
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I know we have our issues with him, but this is bigger than that. God bless and hope for a good recovery!
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
I know we have our issues with him, but this is bigger than that. God bless and hope for a good recovery!
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Hope he makes it through ok.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Same here, hope the man makes it.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Very sad news when I heard about it yesterday. Have there been any updates?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/nba-former-commissioner-david-stern-remains-in-serious-condition-after-brain-hemorrhage/

Quote:
NBA: Former commissioner David Stern remains in serious condition after brain hemorrhage

Former NBA commissioner David Stern suffered a brain hemorrhage and underwent emergency surgery on Thursday.

NBA release:

NBA Commissioner Emeritus David Stern remains in serious condition following emergency surgery to address a sudden brain hemorrhage on Thursday. He is receiving great care and surrounded by his loved ones. The Stern family and everyone at the NBA appreciate the incredible outpouring of support. Our thoughts and prayers remain with David and his family.

Stern oversaw the NBA’s rise through Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and globalization. A fierce presence, Stern also battled both players and public perception of players, including through two lockouts.

Hopefully, Stern’s fighting spirit will help him through this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RIP
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Damn.

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

RIP David. I Don’t care about the veto anymore. You will be missed by all real laker fans

Thank you for making the league into a worldwide phenomenon you will be missed
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Don't like what he pulled during the whole Chris Paul fiasco, but the man helped lead the NBA from the depths to the pinnacle of popularity. RIP.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

The veto is just one footnote in Stern's history of achievements that transformed the league into the global brand that it is today. I can easily forgive, but I don't see the purpose of forgetting. It's part of his career in charge of the NBA, as well as a point of reference for the present and future commissioners.

I've been taking a break from the divisive media, so this news was a complete surprise. He had a very successful life, which has had a significant impact on mine.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.

If there was a prime era where David Stern was in peak form in terms of business moves, it was during the MJ era. I thought the last decade he was living on reputation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wino wrote:

If there was a prime era where David Stern was in peak form in terms of business moves, it was during the MJ era. I thought the last decade he was living on reputation.

Actually, I thought the MJ years were his laziest and most corrupt. Just trying to build the league around one guy. And falling asleep as the game became a boring slugfest. The league suffered greatly from that when MJ retired. He was both good and fortunate enough to recover from that, and his globalization, tweaking of the game, and views toward parity were good recovery moves that set the table for what we have now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Wino wrote:

Actually, I thought the MJ years were his laziest and most corrupt. Just trying to build the league around one guy. And falling asleep as the game became a boring slugfest. The league suffered greatly from that when MJ retired. He was both good and fortunate enough to recover from that, and his globalization, tweaking of the game, and views toward parity were good recovery moves that set the table for what we have now.

Disagree, the groundwork for the globalization of the game was during the 80's and 90's, what you saw in the 2000's was the result of those initiatives. An example of this is the China market. The NBA basically gave away their TV rights in China in those days, so the consumers could get hooked onto the NBA game so they would later be paying customers. Another example would be the Mcdonalds Championship which basically pitted an NBA team against club teams around the world. This basically put the NBA product out there to show to the rest of the world. The surge of foreign born players you saw in the 2000's was due in part as a result of those initiatives in addition to the NBA getting exposure from fielding their Dream Teams in the Olympics and other international tournaments. As a result of their international outreach, you had guys picking up a basketball instead of a soccer ball around the world.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

That’s fair. I’d still argue that what he did with by he actual game and domestically in the time was lazy, tyrannical malpractice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: