EX-NBA COMMISH DAVID STERN SUFFERS BRAIN HEMORRHAGE

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44834
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: EX-NBA COMMISH DAVID STERN SUFFERS BRAIN HEMORRHAGE

... Emergency Surgery
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
20,000
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 29626
Location: Likely nowhere near you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:


_________________
Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying...'I will try again tomorrow.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38540
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

wow, this sounds terrible...hopeful for the best outcome possible
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Posts: 1192

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I know we have our issues with him, but this is bigger than that. God bless and hope for a good recovery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
I know we have our issues with him, but this is bigger than that. God bless and hope for a good recovery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3647

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Hope he makes it through ok.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 684

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Same here, hope the man makes it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 21528
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Very sad news when I heard about it yesterday. Have there been any updates?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/nba-former-commissioner-david-stern-remains-in-serious-condition-after-brain-hemorrhage/

Quote:
NBA: Former commissioner David Stern remains in serious condition after brain hemorrhage


Former NBA commissioner David Stern suffered a brain hemorrhage and underwent emergency surgery on Thursday.

NBA release:

NBA Commissioner Emeritus David Stern remains in serious condition following emergency surgery to address a sudden brain hemorrhage on Thursday. He is receiving great care and surrounded by his loved ones. The Stern family and everyone at the NBA appreciate the incredible outpouring of support. Our thoughts and prayers remain with David and his family.

Stern oversaw the NBA’s rise through Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and globalization. A fierce presence, Stern also battled both players and public perception of players, including through two lockouts.

Hopefully, Stern’s fighting spirit will help him through this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33535

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46791
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Damn.
_________________
THE EVIL EMPIRE HAS RETURNED...

LAKESHOW SQUAD AINT NUTIN TO (bleep) WIT!...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 20157

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

RIP David. I Don’t care about the veto anymore. You will be missed by all real laker fans

Thank you for making the league into a worldwide phenomenon you will be missed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 4543

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Don't like what he pulled during the whole Chris Paul fiasco, but the man helped lead the NBA from the depths to the pinnacle of popularity. RIP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 4205

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

The veto is just one footnote in Stern's history of achievements that transformed the league into the global brand that it is today. I can easily forgive, but I don't see the purpose of forgetting. It's part of his career in charge of the NBA, as well as a point of reference for the present and future commissioners.

I've been taking a break from the divisive media, so this news was a complete surprise. He had a very successful life, which has had a significant impact on mine.
_________________
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2002
Posts: 9672
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.
_________________
Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33535

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.


If there was a prime era where David Stern was in peak form in terms of business moves, it was during the MJ era. I thought the last decade he was living on reputation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 85535
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wino wrote:
I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.


If there was a prime era where David Stern was in peak form in terms of business moves, it was during the MJ era. I thought the last decade he was living on reputation.


Actually, I thought the MJ years were his laziest and most corrupt. Just trying to build the league around one guy. And falling asleep as the game became a boring slugfest. The league suffered greatly from that when MJ retired. He was both good and fortunate enough to recover from that, and his globalization, tweaking of the game, and views toward parity were good recovery moves that set the table for what we have now.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33535

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Wino wrote:
I don't think I will ever forget the veto either, even more than that, I think he bailed out on Kobe after the Colorado incident. I always felt like the league, at Sterns directions, blacklisted Kobe from the awards and honors he deserved. I have a hard time believing that there was not a better, more honest, way to deal with it.

I'm sorry he died, and his family has my condolences. Overall he was very good for the league. I can acknowledge all that but he still screwed Kobe and the Lakers. We went into a near decade tailspin because of it. Will never have a fuzzy good feeling about it and Stern.


If there was a prime era where David Stern was in peak form in terms of business moves, it was during the MJ era. I thought the last decade he was living on reputation.


Actually, I thought the MJ years were his laziest and most corrupt. Just trying to build the league around one guy. And falling asleep as the game became a boring slugfest. The league suffered greatly from that when MJ retired. He was both good and fortunate enough to recover from that, and his globalization, tweaking of the game, and views toward parity were good recovery moves that set the table for what we have now.


Disagree, the groundwork for the globalization of the game was during the 80's and 90's, what you saw in the 2000's was the result of those initiatives. An example of this is the China market. The NBA basically gave away their TV rights in China in those days, so the consumers could get hooked onto the NBA game so they would later be paying customers. Another example would be the Mcdonalds Championship which basically pitted an NBA team against club teams around the world. This basically put the NBA product out there to show to the rest of the world. The surge of foreign born players you saw in the 2000's was due in part as a result of those initiatives in addition to the NBA getting exposure from fielding their Dream Teams in the Olympics and other international tournaments. As a result of their international outreach, you had guys picking up a basketball instead of a soccer ball around the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 85535
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

That’s fair. I’d still argue that what he did with by he actual game and domestically in the time was lazy, tyrannical malpractice.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB