NBA ratings down 22% on TNT and 19% on ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
People really are underestimating illegal streams.

The official streaming options need to improve.

League pass app needs work/flexible pricing options and the blackouts. One of the major complaints with the product.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
i think another big factor is "free" streaming has really picked up over the last year.
no longer buried in the dark web on virus laden web sites, you can find live streams of games on the first page of google with decent quality.

That is the main reason. You don’t have to watch a network and watch advertisers commercials. Leagues other than the NFL could eventually go to a pay per view or subscription service. Sportsnet could end up with one of the worst TV deals going.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lebron, AD, Kawhi and PG being on the West Coast is hurting ratings. Most people on the East Coast are not staying up to watch the West Coast games, and have no interest in the Knicks, Bulls, and Wizards this year. Also, it does not help that Durant and Curry are out this year.....and Kyrie has been injured off an on all season. I will be interested to see if ratings increase any when Lebron is playing on a East Coast road trip.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Lebron, AD, Kawhi and PG being on the West Coast is hurting ratings. Most people on the East Coast are not staying up to watch the West Coast games, and have no interest in the Knicks, Bulls, and Wizards this year. Also, it does not help that Durant and Curry are out this year.....and Kyrie has been injured off an on all season. I will be interested to see if ratings increase any when Lebron is playing on a East Coast road trip.

Paying for the price of status quo. They should have acted on reseeding 3 yrs ago.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Who wants to tune in and watch Harden flop his way to 345 free throws?

I can't believe this fool is averaging more FTA (14.9) than 3PA (14.3). That's just (bleep) bananas!

G-COAT

Greatest Chucker of All Time!

He flops his way to 39.5 points a game?

Ridiculous. Guy plays on his own planet. Been the best player in the NBA for the last three years. Replace him with any other superstar and they are NOT doing what he has done.

Guy hits step back 4 pointers and is literally a walking bucket whenever he drives and yet we call him a chucker. LOL
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

This is the long term consequence of James Dolan owning the Knicks. I bet the other owners fantasize about tricking him into making a racist comment on camera.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is the long term consequence of James Dolan owning the Knicks. I bet the other owners fantasize about tricking him into making a racist comment on camera.

Does the fact that the Knicks are bad really have that much effort on ratings?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Too many GSW and NOP games on with no Currry, Klay, or Zion.
Kyrie missed the Boston rematch as well.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Shh. There is no such thing as streaming links. Reddit shut them down. Nothing to see here.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Shh. There is no such thing as streaming links. Reddit shut them down. Nothing to see here.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Does the fact that the Knicks are bad really have that much effort on ratings?

Unfortunately Knicks fans are kinda like Cowboys fans....they will still pay for a bad product.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The NBA broadcast model has not caught up with how fans want to watch the games.

No one wants to pay $100/month for cable then another $50/month to get the sports package with the games they want to see. Far easier to find a stable sharing site and get all the games for free. Don’t ask me how I know that

NBA should move quickly to do away with exclusive rights deals like SPECSN and go to a subscription model with NO BLACKOUTS. Guaranteed the ratings would increase and then they could get better ad deals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
kikanga wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Yup. They are all shut down. Move along.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject:

I sure wonder if it's a bad idea for the NBA to go almost exclusively to cable, whereas the NFL regular season games and all of its playoff games are all on free network tv. Mark Cuban was also speculating on this:

Quote:
“Ratings are down because all of our national broadcasts are exclusively available on cable, which is losing subs daily. Football benefits from being on broadcast tv which is in every digital and traditional package along with gambling available in some of the biggest markets,” he tweeted in November.

The ratings for college football has held steady and the NFL ratings are back up now since the whole Kaepernick thing has died down. The NBA ratings have continued to plummet.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The NBA broadcast model has not caught up with how fans want to watch the games.

No one wants to pay $100/month for cable then another $50/month to get the sports package with the games they want to see. Far easier to find a stable sharing site and get all the games for free. Don’t ask me how I know that

NBA should move quickly to do away with exclusive rights deals like SPECSN and go to a subscription model with NO BLACKOUTS. Guaranteed the ratings would increase and then they could get better ad deals.

NBA cares more about guaranteed money more than anything else. It brings stability to the teams. Thats why none of those deals already signed are going away.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
I sure wonder if it's a bad idea for the NBA to go almost exclusively to cable, whereas the NFL regular season games and all of its playoff games are all on free network tv. Mark Cuban was also speculating on this:

Quote:
“Ratings are down because all of our national broadcasts are exclusively available on cable, which is losing subs daily. Football benefits from being on broadcast tv which is in every digital and traditional package along with gambling available in some of the biggest markets,” he tweeted in November.

The ratings for college football has held steady and the NFL ratings are back up now since the whole Kaepernick thing has died down. The NBA ratings have continued to plummet.

NFL can go that model since they are king in the USA. The NBA tried the free TV route in the 90's, it worked up until the point of MJ retiring in 1998.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: