What was your favorite breakfast cereal growing up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I never recall eating rice growing up. I honestly do not recall eating it a single time. As an adult, I eat rice daily....at least 5 days a week.

The only rice I recall eating for breakfast was the leftover rice from dinner. We rarely ate potatoes with stuff like eggs and bacon. It was almost always rice.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
Asian family... rice for breakfast, rice for lunch, rice for dinner... with meat/veggie dishes of course

As an adult, I like Frosted Flakes

it is funny that you mention that....I grew up in WV, so I basically had white hillbilly and black hillbilly friends. I moved to Florida when I was 16, and my first close friend was part Chinese and part Cambodian and when I would visit his house they had huge bags of rice stacked up everywhere in the house. I can recall even a couple bags lining the hallway. I am talking about bags the size of large dog food bags....honestly I do not even know where to purchase rice in that quantity. He explained to me what you claimed....rice was really the foundation of every meal and even snack on a daily basis. He had multiple siblings, so there was many mouths to feed.

yea man, so basically moms would cook the meat dishes, usually bunch of veggie dishes and we would all put rice on our plate then grab some of the dishes. each bite would be rice plus whatever.
We always buy sacks of rice, like up to 50lbs

I’m still waiting for congee to take off as a breakfast craze. People just don’t know.

Yeah, that's good stuff
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
Asian family... rice for breakfast, rice for lunch, rice for dinner... with meat/veggie dishes of course

it is funny that you mention that....I grew up in WV, so I basically had white hillbilly and black hillbilly friends. I moved to Florida when I was 16, and my first close friend was part Chinese and part Cambodian and when I would visit his house they had huge bags of rice stacked up everywhere in the house. I can recall even a couple bags lining the hallway. I am talking about bags the size of large dog food bags....honestly I do not even know where to purchase rice in that quantity. He explained to me what you claimed....rice was really the foundation of every meal and even snack on a daily basis. He had multiple siblings, so there was many mouths to feed.

yea man, so basically moms would cook the meat dishes, usually bunch of veggie dishes and we would all put rice on our plate then grab some of the dishes. each bite would be rice plus whatever.

I’m still waiting for congee to take off as a breakfast craze. People just don’t know.

Filipinos have a version of congee called arroz caldo. People would be better off if that doesn't catch here. Rice for breakfast has been the ruin of many a fat boy...sigh

governator did you grow up with one of these in your house? https://i.imgur.com/FoWqaWf.jpg
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:

Filipinos have a version of congee called arroz caldo. People would be better off if that doesn't catch here. Rice for breakfast has been the ruin of many a fat boy...sigh

governator did you grow up with one of these in your house? https://i.imgur.com/FoWqaWf.jpg

I will find this.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:

I will find this.

easy as heck to make at home. welcome to obesity!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:

I will find this.

easy as heck to make at home. welcome to obesity!

Yep. Vietnamese cuisine has multiple versions of this called Chao. Dice up some ginger to really give it a distinct flavor.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Can you detect subtleties in rice and in different kinds of white rice that someone who doesn't eat as much or who only eats buttered instant rice probably notices?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Scotch.

We have a winner

Admittedly, the were a few fruit loops floating on top for the sake of appearances.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Scotch.

We have a winner

Admittedly, the were a few fruit loops floating on top for the sake of appearances.

https://tinyurl.com/vg78rja
cavsfan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Lucky charms my sister did not want to share lucky charms with me
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

In no real order:

Apple Jacks
Cap n Crunch
Sugar Pops
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
In no real order:

Apple Jacks
Cap n Crunch
Sugar Pops

The diabetic trifecta
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

My favorite cereal was (still is) Cracklin' Oat Bran. It's good with milk, yogurt or as a snack food. So versatile. It's the Lamar Odom of breakfast cereal. (minus the lin Oat Bran)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
My favorite cereal was (still is) Cracklin' Oat Bran. It's good with milk, yogurt or as a snack food. So versatile. It's the Lamar Odom of breakfast cereal. (minus the lin Oat Bran)

I actually thought you were referencing crack rock visavis Odom for a second. Had to read it again.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Man, if you could find it, Indonesian pancake called serabi with its coconut milk, bomb breakfast
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I actually thought you were referencing crack rock visavis Odom for a second. Had to read it again.

You were not incorrect.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

(1) Cheerios.
(2) Oatmeal. Lots of butter, couple of spoons of sugar and just the right amount of milk.

I didn't like cornflakes or most flake cereals because you had to eat to fast to keep them from getting soggy. I liked the taste didn't like the soggy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

I certainly liked Life better as a child than now in today's world.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
governator wrote:

Can you detect subtleties in rice and in different kinds of white rice that someone who doesn't eat as much or who only eats buttered instant rice probably notices?

yes you can, Indian/thai jasmine rice is fragrant, sushi rice is sticky, regular rice (?short stalk?) is good for fried rice
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Lucky Charms. But mom would never buy them, my brother and I would have to load up at friends houses.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

This was not out when I was a kid, but yep, this is an awesome cereal, I always buy it when I go camping as it makes a great snack - dry!
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Lucky Charms, but that was a treat. It was normally poor people cereal like Kix and Chex. I still like both.

Without milk, Golden Grahams was good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

This was not out when I was a kid, but yep, this is an awesome cereal, I always buy it when I go camping as it makes a great snack - dry!

I'm fond of eating cereal dry as a snack
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quisp and Quake.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I'm fond of eating cereal dry as a snack

Oh, it's a top snack.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: