ok boomer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44924
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

You can say a lot of things about Boomers, but one can't ignore their role in progressing American values in the '60's and '70's. The Civil Rights movement came on the back of Boomers, as well as a number of other advancements in social attitude.

The thing that has become obvious via this whole asinine Boomer thing is how utterly foolish the people are who think "Boomer" is a put down. Same for those who attack Millennials.

No generation has a monopoly on being jackasses, and all generations have a preponderance of decency among them.

(bleep) people aren't (bleep) people because of what generation they are born in. (bleep) people are (bleep) people because they are (bleep) people. That's why there are (bleep) people of all of ages.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18421

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
So when I heard people talking about Generation X, I just rolled my eyes. It made for some marketing fodder and the like, but mostly it was the same lamenting about “kids these days” that you always get. Ditto for millennials.


Gen X... Slackers! You kids and your flannel and your jeans torn at the knees and your Nirr-vanney music and your corporate Woodstock 94!
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29835

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Ok, computer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44924
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
So when I heard people talking about Generation X, I just rolled my eyes. It made for some marketing fodder and the like, but mostly it was the same lamenting about “kids these days” that you always get. Ditto for millennials.


Gen X... Slackers! You kids and your flannel and your jeans torn at the knees and your Nirr-vanney music and your corporate Woodstock 94!


I did see a witty comment about Gen-Xer's from a Gen-Xer:

Here I am watching Boomers and Millennials go at it while I sit confidently knowing that us Gen-Xers are the only ones who know how to set the clock on a VCR.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29835

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I think for those born during the years that straddle generations, you tend to identify with the older one if you had older siblings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38565
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.


I think there is an argument that title could go to or at least began with a maturing (post 20's) group dubbed "The Greatest Generation". I do not think the "boomers" started the fire.


The only thing I'd pin on that generation is that they gave birth to this group of miscreants. Take, take take should be the boomer motto.


This generation came home to great fan fare after winning the final great war, and positioning America in a position of extreme strength on the world stage. They deserved every bit of the love from the nation as they sacrificed greatly. They quickly began to pay themselves via mass expansions of public and private entitlements and benefits. The problem is they had calculators and knew they were rewarding themselves at levels that could not be sustained, thus became the first generation to literally steal from their children and grandchildren to enrich their life experience.


What generation are you talking about? The Silent Generation or the Greatest Generation? I'm a Boomer and don't feel the previous generations stole from me. I feel we were given an opportunity that no generation has had.

This does not mean that there is not some truth to what you say, at least in a general sense. Since about 1980, all of the older generations have demanded to pay less to the government, which means the younger generations will have to pay for the the inflated lifestyles the older generations were afforded as a result of all the debt.


because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.

How many pension funds are healthy today (of the 5% of so that are still in effect)? Which governmental entitlement program is not on the brink of bankruptcy? That generation worked (often with only one household income) into their early 60's, bought an RV and traveled the country while visiting the grandkids and Club Med's...and continued getting checks from their company funded pensions and government entitlement programs. That is just not the reality for many "boomers" and it will be less so for GenX'ers as these generations have mostly lost company funded retirements, are working multiple household incomes sometimes into their 70's because they do not have a choice if they wish to maintain their current lifestyle....and GenY who is funding the final days of these programs are not even counting on the entitlements and benefits to be available to them.

It was a Ponzi scheme from the beginning and the Greatest Generation were the Bernie Madoff's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23552

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.


You are conflating a "generation" of people with political leadership. In fact, the senior political leadership that did these things did not consist of baby boomers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44924
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.


You are conflating a "generation" of people with political leadership. In fact, the senior political leadership that did these things did not consist of baby boomers.


Not the mention the fact that akindo is deliberately (or maybe ignorantly) ignoring the many positive contributions that the Boomer generation contributed to society.

Which is why I will repeat the fact that generational distinctions are absolute bull (bleep). People are people regardless of when they are born. And people run the spectrum of good to bad because they are people, not based on when they are born.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:


https://imgur.com/a/b2B6Wr1


What's comical is how prevalent the "kids these days" sensibilities are. I'd be the first to admit that the generation after mine, especially the ones that are in elementary school or thereabouts are in for a ROOOOUUUUGHHH time. Skyrocketing costs of college and housing is unsustainable. I just found out what my nephews and neices are paying for to attend the UC's. Literally 4 times as much as I did 20 years ago. Not 50% higher, not 100%...400%! I don't think I would have attended college and if I did, I would have dropped out eventually.


The contention between millennials and boomers is interesting to me.
A lot of the energy I’ve seen from boomers is condescension. And a lot of the energy I’ve seen from millennials is envy and empathy.
My previous post explains the envy. But I think boomers view the empathy as something harsher. I’ll say criticism (cause I can’t think of a better word for it).
The millennials I know don’t enjoy criticizing boomers for insensitive actions and words. They just speak up because they empathize with those who can be offended.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Of course I'm just generalizing and there is nuance. There are lazy millenial hypocrites and there are hateful boomers. I'm just explaining how generational differences have shown themselves in my life and those around me.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44924
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The contention between millennials and boomers is interesting to me.
A lot of the energy I’ve seen from boomers is condescension. And a lot of the energy I’ve seen from millennials is envy and empathy.




Kikanga, you do realize that the very essence of the "OK Boomer" comment is condescension . . . right?
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The contention between millennials and boomers is interesting to me.
A lot of the energy I’ve seen from boomers is condescension. And a lot of the energy I’ve seen from millennials is envy and empathy.




Kikanga, you do realize that the very essence of the "OK Boomer" comment is condescension . . . right?

Prior to this thread, I've never heard that comment before. And I'm a millennial. But I think the post after the one you quoted addresses the point you're trying to make.
Is this one of those scenarios where someone tweeted something and 100 people agreed and that's defined a generation? Because there is a ton of irony hearing a "millennials are too sensitive" boomer complaining about internet points.
I guess you could say there is irony on both sides of the coin. But something tells me the millenials I know would apologize for a perceived offense (condescension) waaaaaayyyy before the boomers I know. The boomers I know (family and friends) are way more likely to double down if called out on offensive behavior.
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that majorly contributed to voting him in and still support him.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

When I said empathy DMR. I didn't mean towards boomers. I meant empathy towards those a boomer generalizes. Maybe that's our miscommunication.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23552

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.


The elephant in the room? It's the stereotype in the room. I'm not going to get into politics (or 5G) in this thread, but you're making the same mistake as so many others. You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like. Trump did win the majority of the baby boom vote (age 50 and up), but it was something like 53%-45%, as opposed to the sort of margin you imagine it to be. In other words, almost half of the 50+ demographic did not vote for Trump and does not support him now. Trump won the 40-49 demographic, too, and that is not the baby boom. He drew close to 35-40% of the vote from millennials. If anything, it was the millennials who didn't vote who put Trump in the White House (though we should always remember that Trump did not win the popular vote).

So we have angry millennials shaking their fists at older people who voted for a President they didn't like. Where have I heard that story before? Oh, yeah, it was all of the baby boomers who were pissed about Nixon back in the day. In the words of David Byrne, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 44924
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.


You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like.




I'm going to trim the politics from that exchange to the extent I can so that we can get to the point.

Here's all one needs to know. You and I are both Boomers. At the same time, I think it is fair to say that you and I all too frequently find ourselves on opposite pages.

My point being that (and at the risk of repeating myself) differences are based on individuals, not birthdates.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell


Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.


The elephant in the room? It's the stereotype in the room. I'm not going to get into politics (or 5G) in this thread, but you're making the same mistake as so many others. You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like. Trump did win the majority of the baby boom vote (age 50 and up), but it was something like 53%-45%, as opposed to the sort of margin you imagine it to be. In other words, almost half of the 50+ demographic did not vote for Trump and does not support him now. Trump won the 40-49 demographic, too, and that is not the baby boom. He drew close to 35-40% of the vote from millennials. If anything, it was the millennials who didn't vote who put Trump in the White House (though we should always remember that Trump did not win the popular vote).

So we have angry millennials shaking their fists at older people who voted for a President they didn't like. Where have I heard that story before? Oh, yeah, it was all of the baby boomers who were pissed about Nixon back in the day. In the words of David Byrne, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

I'll reply to your comment in the political thread. Don't want to bogard this thread.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23552

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is our current President and the generation that voted him in and still supports him.


The elephant in the room? It's the stereotype in the room. I'm not going to get into politics (or 5G) in this thread, but you're making the same mistake as so many others. You're conflating a "generation" of people with some particular viewpoint you don't like. Trump did win the majority of the baby boom vote (age 50 and up), but it was something like 53%-45%, as opposed to the sort of margin you imagine it to be. In other words, almost half of the 50+ demographic did not vote for Trump and does not support him now. Trump won the 40-49 demographic, too, and that is not the baby boom. He drew close to 35-40% of the vote from millennials. If anything, it was the millennials who didn't vote who put Trump in the White House (though we should always remember that Trump did not win the popular vote).

So we have angry millennials shaking their fists at older people who voted for a President they didn't like. Where have I heard that story before? Oh, yeah, it was all of the baby boomers who were pissed about Nixon back in the day. In the words of David Byrne, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

I'll reply to your comment in the political thread. Don't want to bogard this thread.


Well, you’re the one who brought up a Trump, not me. Feel free to take your argument to The Political Thread, but I’ll never read it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 22153
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, you’re the one who brought up a Trump, not me. Feel free to take your argument to The Political Thread, but I’ll never read it.

If that's the alternative to turning this thread into another Political Thread. I can live with that.
My response including links and article quotes is waiting there if you change your mind.
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 85645
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.


To begin with, you paint with such a broad brush you could cover a side of a barn in a single stroke. There are subgroups within a generation; they are not monolithic. And they change over time. I might remind you, many tried to fight for the planet and to preserve it's resources, the flora and fauna, and it's beauty, when if was not fashionable--they were a large part of the impetus of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act, the EPA--all signed by a Republican. They fought to preserve whales and the ocean. They fought against the status quo, the American bourgeois, materialism as a primary goal of life, waste, and began our recycling programs. They wanted zero population growth. They fought against nuclear power when it had yet to develop a permanent waste storage solution. They fought to stop a war, and the waste and carnage as a result of that war. They were the masses behind the Civil Rights reform. With all of these goals, they were met with resistance and ridicule from the Greatest Generation, as they were coined--but even this generation does not deserve such scorn considering what they had to endure. As the Boomers aged, they did lose much of their idealism, but at least they had idealism at some point, which, up until recently, has been almost devoid in this country since.

Oh yeah, the Boomers gave us Barack Obama and the best music ever. Also, let's not forget about Magic and Kareem among others.

FYI:

Here are the birth years for each generation:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.


Ok Boomer
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 31060
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
No, it’s not a good phrase.

It’s just a phrase.


ok boomer
_________________
Kobe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 25574

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

Gen X is the only good generation.
_________________
neoliberal hipster film aficionado
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23552

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, you’re the one who brought up a Trump, not me. Feel free to take your argument to The Political Thread, but I’ll never read it.

If that's the alternative to turning this thread into another Political Thread. I can live with that.
My response including links and article quotes is waiting there if you change your mind.


I won't. I'm sure everyone there will agree with whatever you're spewing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 10377

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.


To begin with, you paint with such a broad brush you could cover a side of a barn in a single stroke. There are subgroups within a generation; they are not monolithic. And they change over time. I might remind you, many tried to fight for the planet and to preserve it's resources, the flora and fauna, and it's beauty, when if was not fashionable--they were a large part of the impetus of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act, the EPA--all signed by a Republican. They fought to preserve whales and the ocean. They fought against the status quo, the American bourgeois, materialism as a primary goal of life, waste, and began our recycling programs. They wanted zero population growth. They fought against nuclear power when it had yet to develop a permanent waste storage solution. They fought to stop a war, and the waste and carnage as a result of that war. They were the masses behind the Civil Rights reform. With all of these goals, they were met with resistance and ridicule from the Greatest Generation, as they were coined--but even this generation does not deserve such scorn considering what they had to endure. As the Boomers aged, they did lose much of their idealism, but at least they had idealism at some point, which, up until recently, has been almost devoid in this country since.

Oh yeah, the Boomers gave us Barack Obama and the best music ever. Also, let's not forget about Magic and Kareem among others.

FYI:

Here are the birth years for each generation:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.


Ok Boomer


ok boomer
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38565
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.


You are conflating a "generation" of people with political leadership. In fact, the senior political leadership that did these things did not consist of baby boomers.


either my writing was not clear, or you simply misunderstand....I was not referring to boomers. I specifically stated that boomers continued to benefit from actions taken by The Greatest Generation. Early Boomers for the most part fully benefited from entitlement programs and pension plans, but as we already know late Boomers are already dealing with these entitlements and benefits not being fiscally sustainable. Actually if you want to be honest, late boomers really got a raw deal because many of them learned later in their earning years that the retirement provided to their parents would not be there for them unless it was self funded....thus losing many years of self funding that retirement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10839

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The boomer generation might carry the distinction of being the most selfish, hypocritical, and destructive generation in modern history. Their current urge to just have everything and push the bill (including the environmental) one forward, and their entitled condescension to everyone and everything else, including our institutions and the very rule of law, is staggering. It’s like they fell in love with the screenplay of a movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge plays an Ugly American.


I think there is an argument that title could go to or at least began with a maturing (post 20's) group dubbed "The Greatest Generation". I do not think the "boomers" started the fire.


The only thing I'd pin on that generation is that they gave birth to this group of miscreants. Take, take take should be the boomer motto.


This generation came home to great fan fare after winning the final great war, and positioning America in a position of extreme strength on the world stage. They deserved every bit of the love from the nation as they sacrificed greatly. They quickly began to pay themselves via mass expansions of public and private entitlements and benefits. The problem is they had calculators and knew they were rewarding themselves at levels that could not be sustained, thus became the first generation to literally steal from their children and grandchildren to enrich their life experience.


What generation are you talking about? The Silent Generation or the Greatest Generation? I'm a Boomer and don't feel the previous generations stole from me. I feel we were given an opportunity that no generation has had.

This does not mean that there is not some truth to what you say, at least in a general sense. Since about 1980, all of the older generations have demanded to pay less to the government, which means the younger generations will have to pay for the the inflated lifestyles the older generations were afforded as a result of all the debt.


because Boomers continued the benefits which required them to steal more from future generations. Post WWII, massive government entitlements were established and pensions were set up in both the private and public sectors that clearly relied on future generations to fund. My issue is not about the current partisan debate about government entitlements being good or bad....but the fact that they knew at the time they could not be sustained over future generations. Math was alive and well then. They knew these entitlements would run dry, but they moved forward with them anyway because they knew they would get theirs.

How many pension funds are healthy today (of the 5% of so that are still in effect)? Which governmental entitlement program is not on the brink of bankruptcy? That generation worked (often with only one household income) into their early 60's, bought an RV and traveled the country while visiting the grandkids and Club Med's...and continued getting checks from their company funded pensions and government entitlement programs. That is just not the reality for many "boomers" and it will be less so for GenX'ers as these generations have mostly lost company funded retirements, are working multiple household incomes sometimes into their 70's because they do not have a choice if they wish to maintain their current lifestyle....and GenY who is funding the final days of these programs are not even counting on the entitlements and benefits to be available to them.

It was a Ponzi scheme from the beginning and the Greatest Generation were the Bernie Madoff's.


This is wrong from start to finish but this is not the appropriate place for political discussion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB