2020 C8 Chevrolet Corvette (Dealer markup)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: 2020 C8 Chevrolet Corvette (Dealer markup)

Hi guys

I am putting this here because my car forums I Go to are now having biased opinions on the C8. And salesman are making usernames to support dealerships.

I need an opinion from the common consumer. Which are you people because your interest are more into sports and among other things.

Here is the argument. The corvette has always been my favorite car since the new redesigned LS engine became available in the C5. Due to the mass production it has always been the best bang for your buck sports car. Due to the styling and mid engine platform of the C8 this car arguably looks like a 150k Italian sports car. With that said Chevy made it a point to offer the base model C8 at 60k. Here is my gripe.

Dealership markups. Unfortunately to purchase this vehicle has to go through a Chevrolet dealership where the dealership mark ups are 30k for the 1lt, 50k for the 2lt and 65k for the 3lt. This completely defeats the purpose of affordability that Chevy is claiming. I feel that private dealerships are clearly doing highway robbery on consumers. After more investigation I found out that this gross markup is the highest in the Southern California region. New York and Nj has about 5-10K markup on the new C8. Chevy CEO specifically said its a sports car for the common person. Not for the elite. However dealerships are gouging and I am sick of it. I want to know how I can purchase this directly from factory or out of state.

FYI the c8 vette will not be sold to anyone out of state through a dealer. So now I am having a tough time to get around this.

Last edited by 999 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 C8 Chevrolet Corvette (Dealer markup)

999 wrote:
Hi guys

I am putting this here because my car forums I Go to are now having biased opinions on the C8. And salesman are making usernames to support dealerships.

I need an opinion from the common consumer. Which are you people because your interest are more into sports and among other things.

Here is the argument. The corvette has always been my favorite car since the LS engine became available in the C5. Due to the mass production it has always been the best bang for your buck sports car. Due to the styling and mid engine platform of the C8 this car arguably looks like a 150k Italian sports car. With that said Chevy made it a point to offer the base model C8 at 60k. Here is my gripe.

Dealership markups. Unfortunately to purchase this vehicle has to go through a Chevrolet dealership where the dealership mark ups are 30k for the 1lt, 50k for the 2lt and 65k for the 3lt. This completely defeats the purpose of affordability that Chevy is claiming. I feel that private dealerships are clearly doing highway robbery on consumers. After more investigation I found out that this gross markup is the highest in the Southern California region. New York and Nj has about 5-10K markup on the new C8. Chevy CEO specifically said its a sports car for the common person. Not for the elite. However dealerships are gouging and I am sick of it. I want to know how I can purchase this directly from factory or out of state.

FYI the c8 vette will not be sold to anyone out of state through a dealer. So now I am having a tough time to get around this.

You can't.
Also since its the first year of the new model, and especially of the long awaited mid-engine Corvette, you will probably have to wait a couple of years before you can get it without significant markup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

After I made my deposit I gotta call from the am OC Chevy dealership to configure the vette I went down there and they said since I am a first time buyer to the dealer I need to pay 5k just to purchase the vette? I was like no I am not paying a dime more than MSRP. I told him that the vette is mass produced and a dealership will offer the car at msrp. He told me to go work with them. After doing research. I found out that a lot of people are having this same problem.

Is this a legit complaint. Can I do something about this? BBB. Social media? Blast the dealership online?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
After I made my deposit I gotta call from the am OC Chevy dealership to configure the vette I went down there and they said since I am a first time buyer to the dealer I need to pay 5k just to purchase the vette? I was like no I am not paying a dime more than MSRP. I told him that the vette is mass produced and a dealership will offer the car at msrp. He told me to go work with them. After doing research. I found out that a lot of people are having this same problem.

Is this a legit complaint. Can I do something about this? BBB. Social media? Blast the dealership?

Then you won't be getting a Corvette. He is not obligated to sell it to you at MSRP when there is a long line of buyers willing to pay much more, especially at over markup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Is this a legit complaint. Can I do something about this? BBB. Social media? Blast the dealership?

Then you won't be getting a Corvette. He is not obligated to sell it to you at MSRP when there is a long line of buyers willing to pay much more, especially at over markup.

That’s fine whoever has the money to pay 50k over sticker than have at it. This is a mass produced car. I can wait till dealerships come to there senses
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

That’s fine whoever has the money to pay 50k over sticker than have at it. This is a mass produced car. I can wait till dealerships come to there senses

You will probably have to wait for a couple of years then when the demand is much less...I don't even think the car is out yet, so right now everyone buying now is probably paying way over list price to get in on one of the early production models.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

The 2lt with the z51 package is 72K msrp. Dealership has it priced at 110K not including tax. Isn’t that sickening
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

You will probably have to wait for a couple of years then when the demand is much less...I don't even think the car is out yet, so right now everyone buying now is probably paying way over list price to get in on one of the early production models.

I thought so. Most likely I will end up getting another sedan or cross over on year end deal that too good to pass up.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

I thought so. Most likely I will end up getting another sedan or cross over on year end deal that too good to pass up.

If you are looking at performance, the fastest cars in the world are now Tesla’s.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

If you are looking at performance, the fastest cars in the world are now Tesla’s.

Uh. Yea. The p100d are also way over 100k
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

This reminds of the time when the first gen Acura NSX came out.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike will probably be able to explain exactly how wrong my thinking is here, and of course your tastes are your own personal tastes, but when an Audi R8 with a V10 & dual clutch like this one is available for under $90K, it's hard to give a Vette a second glance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Audi-R8-V10-PLUS/352836414613
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
This reminds of the time when the first gen Acura NSX came out.

Yep in 1990 the 91 NSX sold with dealer markup at 60k

In 1990 that was 110k in today’s money. Still a bargain compared to the lambs and Ferrari’s at that time. Overtime Acura gradually raised the price on the nsx.

Btw. Just check our the resale value on a 1st gen NSX. They are selling for 40K+
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Maybe, if we're talking about 0-60 in a straight line, this claim stands. However, once you go to higher speeds on a curvy road or track, these teslas get smoked by sports cars; there is no comparison with the handling. So yea, gunning it on local roads to the grocery store, the tesla will win most of the time against any car.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Delayed until February 2020.
https://jalopnik.com/uaw-successfully-keeps-vile-mid-engine-corvette-at-bay-1839668546
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Mike will probably be able to explain exactly how wrong my thinking is here, and of course your tastes are your own personal tastes, but when an Audi R8 with a V10 & dual clutch like this one is available for under $90K, it's hard to give a Vette a second glance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Audi-R8-V10-PLUS/352836414613

As much as I love a v10 with a gated 6. The R8 is really not my style. I want a performance car that I can beat to the ground and not have any second thoughts. I want to drive it hard rack up thousand of miles and literally drive it till the wheels fall off. I just don’t picture myself doing that in an R8
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

The R8 is much nicer car, but it is also a German automobile, which means the maintenance costs are much higher than something like a Corvette.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The R8 is much nicer car, but it is also a German automobile, which means the maintenance costs are much higher than something like a Corvette.

You obviously haven't owned a Chevy over the last few decades. They're trash for the most part.

But hey, miles and miles of cheap plastic, so that's nice.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You obviously haven't owned a Chevy over the last few decades. They're trash for the most part.

Customers don't buy Corvettes because of its interior. They buy it because it has a big honking V8 in a RWD sports car platform for a cheap price. The mods are also much cheaper than other foreign makes.
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

The R8 is also a very old design that needs to be redone and updated imo. The new Vette looks like a new Ferrari.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Find a chevy dealer out in the middle of nowhere and see if you can go through him to "order" one from Chevy through him for like $1K over MSRP.

If he can get Chevy to send him one, he makes easy money. You'll probably need to go pick it up "out in the middle of nowhere" though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

What was the last Chevy you owned? and for how long?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Find a chevy dealer out in the middle of nowhere and see if you can go through him to "order" one from Chevy through him for like $1K over MSRP.

If he can get Chevy to send him one, he makes easy money. You'll probably need to go pick it up "out in the middle of nowhere" though.

Tried that and I can’t do it. I have to go through a reservation system and they select the dealership based on the zip code you enter. Even if you enter a preferred dealership they still won’t do it. I tried calling an out of state dealership in Texas and they told me is reservation system only with a lottery system.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

Maybe, if we're talking about 0-60 in a straight line, this claim stands. However, once you go to higher speeds on a curvy road or track, these teslas get smoked by sports cars; there is no comparison with the handling. So yea, gunning it on local roads to the grocery store, the tesla will win most of the time against any car.

True. It’s pretty amazing though that you can take a 4 door sedan and blow the doors off super cars at the track, or on the way to the grocery store. The Tesla Roadster that’s coming soon may be able to compete on curvy roads if that your thing. I wouldn’t bet against them.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

True. It’s pretty amazing though that you can take a 4 door sedan and blow the doors off super cars at the track, or on the way to the grocery store. The Tesla Roadster that’s coming soon may be able to compete on curvy roads if that your thing. I wouldn’t bet against them.

Incidentally, the Model 3 performance version has already been tuned and can beat a 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia on a curvy track. Motor Trend article is here: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: