Lakers Hire New Scout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Lakers Hire New Scout

Quote:
Bittersweet news:
I have left EV Hoops and joined the #Lakers as a scout. This opportunity is amazing and life changing. But I am also sad to say goodbye to the EVH Family.

https://twitter.com/elanvino/status/1180475552655917056?s=21
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Is he good?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Looks like he ran his own scouting school.

Read a couple articles, but nothing too innovative?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Hire New Scout

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Bittersweet news:
I have left EV Hoops and joined the #Lakers as a scout. This opportunity is amazing and life changing. But I am also sad to say goodbye to the EVH Family.

https://twitter.com/elanvino/status/1180475552655917056?s=21

So he left his own company? Elan Vinokurov = EV Hoops?

From 2 years ago:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/philly-hoops/2017_NBA_draft_expert_Elan_Vinokurov_Jim_Clibanoff_Drexel.html

Quote:
"We pride ourselves on the second round," Vinokurov said. "I think an NBA team is going to look at the first round, and they're going to use a lot of their resources to make sure they don't botch their first-round pick. Our job is the alternative. . . . We're experts in the draft, but when it comes to the second round, there's nobody in the country that knows what we know."

Excellent.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but when it comes to the second round, there's nobody in the country that knows what we know

Doesn't make sense to me. BPA is BPA regardless of what round the player is drafted in.

Also, teams botch 1st round picks all the time, so it technically shouldn't be considered any more risky than a 2nd round pick anyway.

LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

Welcome aboard Lethal Scout!

So guess this is Ryan West's replacement?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Does he or she have a name?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Do we have any draft pick that we kept for more than 3 years during the past 7 years? JC is the only one I could think of. So I'm not too keen on our scouting department. We're better off just trade for guys and build thru FA. With Lebron and AD on our team, FA is the way to go. Drafting? Not so much.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Do we have any draft pick that we kept for more than 3 years during the past 7 years? JC is the only one I could think of. So I'm not too keen on our scouting department. We're better off just trade for guys and build thru FA. With Lebron and AD on our team, FA is the way to go. Drafting? Not so much.

You may want to go back over the list of drafted players over the past 5-7 years. Many spread around the league as starters or professional impact players on other teams.

Just because the Lakers chose a complete free agent vet rebuild does not make those draft picks (first and second rds) any less talented.

Hope the new scout is damn good and finds some late first and second round gems in the coming years. Likely won’t be trading them all away as much moving forward. Lakers will need the cheap labor to contribute.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

We’ve signed two top FAs in 23 seasons, one in his prime and one past his prime. That isn’t a sustainable way to build title teams. Our past 5 titles have been a result of good trades by West and Kupchak.
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

Allow me to be the first: Fire him!
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

We’ve signed two top FAs in 23 seasons, one in his prime and one past his prime. That isn’t a sustainable way to build title teams. Our past 5 titles have been a result of good trades by West and Kupchak.

Our ten year drought has been a result of bad signings by Kupchak though.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

You may want to go back over the list of drafted players over the past 5-7 years. Many spread around the league as starters or professional impact players on other teams.

Just because the Lakers chose a complete free agent vet rebuild does not make those draft picks (first and second rds) any less talented.

Hope the new scout is damn good and finds some late first and second round gems in the coming years. Likely won’t be trading them all away as much moving forward. Lakers will need the cheap labor to contribute.

Professional impact players? In other words, average players good enough to help their teams finish just out of the playoffs? Have we drafted guys like AD, Steph or Giannis? Guys that actually make their teams into actual championship contenders. DLo? Ball? JR? These guys are all jokes. Thank god we've been blessed to finally traded for AD, a player that turns us into championship contender.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Professional impact players? In other words, average players good enough to help their teams finish just out of the playoffs? Have we drafted guys like AD, Steph or Giannis? Guys that actually make their teams into actual championship contenders. DLo? Ball? JR? These guys are all jokes. Thank god we've been blessed to finally traded for AD, a player that turns us into championship contender.
The nicest thing I can say about your post is that maybe you and 4 Decade aren't really talking about the same set of players. I think he's referring to 2nd rounders, or late 1st rounders - picks where the odds of a player panning out are much worse, and where teams have to rely on the quality of their scouting departments more.

But to dump on your comparisons a little:

1st 2 seasons, postseason records:
Lonzo/DLo: 0 games played, 0 points scored.
Steph Curry: 0 games played, 0 points scored.
AD: 0 games played, 0 points scored
Giannis: 6 games played in 2nd year, as a role player.

Also, it's worth noting that a well-regarded GM (David Griffin) accepted 3 of our "jokes" for AD. So either he's an idiot, or Rob Pelinka is one of the greatest GMs of all time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

So AD made his team into an actual contender? What a joke that is.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

So AD made his team into an actual contender? What a joke that is.

There has never been a player in the history of any major American team sport who singlehandedly made their team into a title contender.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Agree 100%. AD is a top player but has always needed someone like Lebron to feed him the ball. It takes a group effort to win a title. Even with Kawhi, Lowry and the other vet players on Toronto, it took the emergence of Pascal to win. We are going to need that breakout player if we want to contend for a title.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Agree 100%. AD is a top player but has always needed someone like Lebron to feed him the ball. It takes a group effort to win a title. Even with Kawhi, Lowry and the other vet players on Toronto, it took the emergence of Pascal to win. We are going to need that breakout player if we want to contend for a title.

Kawhi mid 1st
Lowry late 1st
Siakam late 1st
Gasol mid 2nd
Ibaka late 1st

This is what happens when guys jump to the league fairly young. They still need to mature and develop their skills.

The LAL picks didn't get enough time as a Laker. But seeing Randle and DLO succeed doesn't surprise me either.

Hell, we need those two on this team.

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject:

I hope hiring a new scout doesn't mean we are tanking this season...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kawhi mid 1st
Lowry late 1st
Siakam late 1st
Gasol mid 2nd
Ibaka late 1st

This is what happens when guys jump to the league fairly young. They still need to mature and develop their skills.

The LAL picks didn't get enough time as a Laker. But seeing Randle and DLO succeed doesn't surprise me either.

The hurtful part is that we got nothing for them
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Does he or she have a name?

Scout, New Scout
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kawhi mid 1st
Lowry late 1st
Siakam late 1st
Gasol mid 2nd
Ibaka late 1st

1) Who do you get rid of to accommodate their $45,000,000.00 in combined salary?

2) How come Randle hasn't gotten any max offers the last 2 seasons (when epic numbers of teams had cap space)?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

You wouldn’t have to get rid of anyone. Of course if you did keep the kids, the Buss brats would have to consider paying luxury tax. By playing the FA game that wouldn’t happen.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You wouldn’t have to get rid of anyone. Of course if you did keep the kids, the Buss brats would have to consider paying luxury tax. By playing the FA game that wouldn’t happen.

Would they still have been able to acquire AD? Not sure how the $ would work.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

They definitely wouldn’t have needed to trade so many players for AD. And they will be in the same boat next season with only AD’s and Lebron’s contracts available to trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: