Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
maomao wrote:
I think only the rockets will be banned. Most sponsors will be gone. Rockets discussion boards are closed and people are no longer selling rockets merchandise.

What's funny is that the Chinese rocket fans are now trolling and shaming other Chinese NBA fans (mostly Lakers fan) for obvious reasons.

NBA fans and owners are the losers. And you know who's the only winner out of this? Morey himself. Watch him get into politics in the future.

NBA fans in China seem just fine. I'm an NBA fan and I'm doing just fine. Any NBA fans here feel like losers given this week's events?*

* not in general

I meant Chinese NBA fans, especially Chinese rocket fans. But since the league is losing potentially more than 10% of revenue, I hope this never affects US NBA fans in any way.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
maomao wrote:
I think only the rockets will be banned. Most sponsors will be gone. Rockets discussion boards are closed and people are no longer selling rockets merchandise.

What's funny is that the Chinese rocket fans are now trolling and shaming other Chinese NBA fans (mostly Lakers fan) for obvious reasons.

NBA fans and owners are the losers. And you know who's the only winner out of this? Morey himself. Watch him get into politics in the future.

NBA fans in China seem just fine. I'm an NBA fan and I'm doing just fine. Any NBA fans here feel like losers given this week's events?*

* not in general

I meant Chinese NBA fans, especially Chinese rocket fans. But since the league is losing potentially more than 10% of revenue, I hope this never affects US NBA fans in any way.

I hope the NBA suffers tremendous damages earned by its embarrassing behavior. Fans won't suffer. Fans only have their entertainment at stake.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:

the biggest loser is the rockets owner who paid 2.2B for the rockets couple years ago. considering their estimated 2018 revenues were 300M, the loss of chinese revenues is substantial on an annual basis going forward. furthermore the rockets were perfectly positioned to gain as the chinese market hockey pucks before this pr disaster. if he wants to sell the rockets, the valuation has probably taken a substantial long-term hit as well. but he is filthy rich so it simply makes life more challenging for him.

other loser - rockets may not be banned permanently, but rockets fans in china have to choose another team. but a lot of them are probably angry with the organization so not a big loss.

biggest winner - lakers - currently, probably in top 2 in china along with golden state as rockets have self-destructed. if the warriors go downhill as most expect, then lakers would be #1.

other winners - lakers fans as the lakers would be worth more, have more revenue and if they even needed, financial flexibility to make the team stronger to pay for going way over the cap.

small winners - us politicians who made easy target of the nba.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I will say this, it was heartwarming to see the stadium filled with Chinese NBA fans for the game this morning. I sincerely hope this is not a loss for NBA fans in China. I feel bad that the local charity/civic events were cancelled, these are supposed to be happy occasions with the people there. I could care less about NBA revenue, but I do appreciate Chinese NBA fans, how much China has embraced the sport of basketball, and of course I especially appreciate Chinese Laker fans.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I will say this, it was heartwarming to see the stadium filled with Chinese NBA fans for the game this morning. I sincerely hope this is not a loss for NBA fans in China. I feel bad that the local charity/civic events were cancelled, these are supposed to be happy occasions with the people there. I could care less about NBA revenue, but I do appreciate Chinese NBA fans, how much China has embraced the sport of basketball, and of course I especially appreciate Chinese Laker fans.

i dont think you have much to worry about.
tencent spent 1.5?B to buy nba rights for a few years.
tencent is one of the favorite companies in china, and i doubt the government would do anything to hurt their bottom-line.
whatever their motivation, whether they wanted make the nba as an easy example or made a pr miscalculation of their own, it seems they did their thing already.

and you should worry about nba revenues.
it would affect salary cap and really mess up our salary structure next year and 2021...
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
but rockets fans in china have to choose another team. but a lot of them are probably angry with the organization so not a big loss.

Heh, not that one fan who was arrested in China for threatening to burn the Chinese flag on Weibo and saying they'd "live and die with the Rockets"

But yeah, I think most would pick another team.

Rockets got silenced on the weekend. An interviewer tried to ask a question about speaking out on social media, and a team official shut it down. Which the NBA later rebuked them for

A big mess this is
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, what the protesters are doing is quite commendable. They're willing to risk being fully integrated into communist China to prevent future encroachment by the CCP on their rights as stated and protected in their basic law. Liberty or death and all.

But at the same time, how does it make sense for a territory under communist rule to be fully autonomous and democratic? That would be tantamount to secession and China's not gonna have any of that. Also, had the protests remained peaceful, their message of abuse of power by the police would have greater impact and they probably would have more international support by now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Honestly, what the protesters are doing is quite commendable. They're willing to risk being fully integrated into communist China to prevent future encroachment by the CCP on their rights as stated and protected in their basic law. Liberty or death and all.

But at the same time, how does it make sense for a territory under communist rule to be fully autonomous and democratic? That would be tantamount to secession and China's not gonna have any of that. Also, had the protests remained peaceful, their message of abuse of power by the police would have greater impact and they probably would have more international support by now.

They tried that in 2014, the protests eventually died out and they got nothing out of it.
What you are seeing now are people who see no option but dying for their cause. I think they realize this aspect considering they fully know what happened in 1989 compared to their Mainland brethren.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:

They're going to be fully integrated anyway, in the year 2047. They have some autonomy until that time. However China has been gradually stripping away that autonomy in a bid to ease the transition once 2047 hits (lessening financial reliance, bussing in mainland Chinese, news is in Mandarin now etc etc.) Some will say it's in violation of the agreement, but having a fully free society suddenly be reefed into China's political system would be a huge culture shock.

A showdown was always going to happen, it was only a matter of when. I just don't see HK winning it
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

i dont think you have much to worry about.
tencent spent 1.5?B to buy nba rights for a few years.
tencent is one of the favorite companies in china, and i doubt the government would do anything to hurt their bottom-line.
whatever their motivation, whether they wanted make the nba as an easy example or made a pr miscalculation of their own, it seems they did their thing already.

and you should worry about nba revenues.
it would affect salary cap and really mess up our salary structure next year and 2021...

This would be an interesting challenge for all 30 teams, but, like you, I don't think it's going to come to that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

They're going to be fully integrated anyway, in the year 2047. They have some autonomy until that time. However China has been gradually stripping away that autonomy in a bid to ease the transition once 2047 hits (lessening financial reliance, bussing in mainland Chinese, news is in Mandarin now etc etc.) Some will say it's in violation of the agreement, but having a fully free society suddenly be reefed into China's political system would be a huge culture shock.

A showdown was always going to happen, it was only a matter of when. I just don't see HK winning it

We'll see where the world is at that time, but hopefully there are a number of nations around the globe willing to expedite accepting Hong Kong immigrants. Unfortunately Johnnie To will probably be dead by then.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

We'll see where the world is at that time, but hopefully there are a number of nations around the globe willing to expedite accepting Hong Kong immigrants. Unfortunately Johnnie To will probably be dead by then.

Wealthy Hong Kong citizens are apparently already leaving for places like Singapore
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
3baller wrote:

They tried that in 2014, the protests eventually died out and they got nothing out of it.
What you are seeing now are people who see no option but dying for their cause. I think they realize this aspect considering they fully know what happened in 1989 compared to their Mainland brethren.

they have a choice as their life is and would have remained far better than the regular mainland chinese.
what they are doing now is irrational and completely self-destructive.
any sane person in hong kong and in mainland would know what they are asking for is impossible.
they could have protest peacefully for as long as they want to get a little more.
now they throw bombs and cause massive destruction.
the government can easily justify rolling in the tanks and maintain the peace.
these tens of thousands of protesters and rioters have made things much worse for 7 million people.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

Wealthy Hong Kong citizens are apparently already leaving for places like Singapore

Makes sense. Taiwan will no doubt be next.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

they did that before 1997 also
i think australia is the favorite.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Heh, not that one fan who was arrested in China for threatening to burn the Chinese flag on Weibo and saying they'd "live and die with the Rockets"

i read that somewhere also and that idiot could be in big trouble
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Y'all are some straight up bootlickers
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

It's a shame. When Bron and others can really make a difference by speaking up, they decide to stay silent so they can get that money. When the cause is easy, popular, and they can financially benefit from it, they are woke as hell. Not so much when something is really on the line. Sad.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
It's a shame. When Bron and others can really make a difference by speaking up, they decide to stay silent so they can get that money. When the cause is easy, popular, and they can financially benefit from it, they are woke as hell. Not so much when something is really on the line. Sad.

Bron and the team is in china. what if they spoke up and were jailed. remember lonzo's brother was jailed for doing something illegal. he can talk about it once he leaves the country. foolish to do that while you're inside a communist country.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Bron and the team is in china. what if they spoke up and were jailed. remember lonzo's brother was jailed for doing something illegal. he can talk about it once he leaves the country. foolish to do that while you're inside a communist country.

Doubt he will say anything....afterall they make his Nike's....
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

No way, it’s Taiwan Independence Day by the way. Taiwan is a full fledge country with its military
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Extensive research let Nike know that supporting Kaepernick with a "woke" ad campaign would be very profitable. The same research probably tells them that supporting HK and standing up against oppression in this case will cost them money. Lets see what they do. Any big company that does a "woke" ad campaign, is doing it for one reason only. Profit.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
drae wrote:
drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

No way, it’s Taiwan Independence Day by the way. Taiwan is a full fledge country with its military

yes, my friend is having a great time today.

taiwan may have a military, but imo it is largely irrelevant.
i am not a military expert, but i believe china could easily take out all their airports with medium range ballistic missiles in the first hour of a conflict.

i think there are much better reasons why they do not want to invade.
like international relations as well as desiring the state-of-the-art semiconductor factories to remain intact.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Extensive research let Nike know that supporting Kaepernick with a "woke" ad campaign would be very profitable. The same research probably tells them that supporting HK and standing up against oppression in this case will cost them money. Lets see what they do. Any big company that does a "woke" ad campaign, is doing it for one reason only. Profit.

So...anti-wokeness isn't profitable?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
governator wrote:
drae wrote:
drae wrote:
3baller wrote:

yes, my friend is having a great time today.

taiwan may have a military, but imo it is largely irrelevant.
i am not a military expert, but i believe china could easily take out all their airports with medium range ballistic missiles in the first hour of a conflict.

i think there are much better reasons why they do not want to invade.
like international relations as well as desiring the state-of-the-art semiconductor factories to remain intact.

I'm both surprised and not surprised that Taiwan hasn't come up once during the Dem primary debates. I don't think there's even been a South China Sea question.

Stupid provincial-minded Americans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 26 of 38
Jump to: