Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
(((Yair Rosenberg)))
@Yair_Rosenberg
Wow, this is chilling. The NBA minder shuts down CNN's question here and refuses to let the players answer it. Not only are they acting as China's censors for their employees, they're now bringing China's suppression of the critical press to our shores.

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1182309829538467840

This is the position of US government also, why is it chilling or surprising?

not only that, the players are not diplomats and the reporters are vultures circling trying to create an international incident.

That or just doing her job.

yes sure, her job is to create news.

Distrustful of protestors and reporters...?

i have no problem with protesters and reporters

i have problems with rioters that regularly throw gasoline bombs and reporters that make laker players uncomfortable by asking questions that they are simply not trained for
think about the distraction that could happen if lebron was tricked into saying something anti-china that makes morey proud

Sounds like those protestors may be in pretty dire straits if they have to resort to petrol bombs.

Lebron's a grown man who can answer media questions. He doesn't need to be infantilized, protected from those tricksy reporters.

rioters throw gasoline bombs, not protestors.
i already posted a video of rioters throwing many gasoline bombs at a squad of police in riot gear.
the police were not attacking at all, and the rioters were not threatened as the police were just staying put in formation.

it seems like you want lebron to be put in a difficult position.
lebron is a grown man with lots of experience, but he is not a trained experienced diplomat.
it seems like your political preferences may trump your fan loyalty
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
3baller wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
China doesn't want someone in America who works for an NBA team to have free speech on a subject they don't approve of

China is basically boycotting a company which they perceive has released an offensive statement through one of its high ranking executive. Isn't that within their rights?

How are they curtailing freedom of speech? Morey or anyone in the NBA are still free to tweet whatever they want against china. Instead Morey deleted the tweet and has since apologized.

If you wanna be upset then be upset at these corporations that are bending over to china. Exactly zero employees of the NBA, Apple and Blizzard(in the US) have lost their freedom of speech. Money and greed is what's silencing them than it is China.

Why does the Chinese government feel the need to boycott a private sports league over the Tweet of a private individual?

Should the U.S. (under a non-insane administration) lead boycotts against the CBA playing preseason games in the U.S. if Yao Ming tweets that America is oppressing the colonized people of Puerto Rico who deserve national sovereignty?

as far as china is concerned, hong kong is the biggest threat to their national unity in the last 50 years. furthermore, it is not simple protests but it is basically a mini-civil war going on right now. anything that somebody does which could be significantly increase the support of the protesters is a major problem for china.

this is nothing like the us 'oppressing' puerto rico, and many americans probably would be very happy to let puerto rico go independent to reduce the tax burden from having to financially support the island.

A "civil war," eh? That escalated quickly. I haven't read any formal calls for Hong Kong's secession from protest leaders, though I have no doubt there are some protestors with big dreams of eventual Hong Kong independence.

i said mini-civil war.
what do you call rioters regularly throwing gasoline bombs at the police and the police regularly shooting rubber bullets at the rioters.
a full on civil war would obviously have live bullets, which we are starting to see.

btw, many many protesters have 'revolution' on their sign.
so they are clearly calling for secession.
that is why this is probably going to unfortunately end badly
the protestors have either no end game or essentially independence.
anyone who is rational knows that the tanks will roll in before that happens.

They seem to be calling for full universal suffrage, the release of detained protestors, and investigation of police abuses. Have there been formal demands for Hong Kong's secession or are we just going off of a handful of signs with the word "revolution" on them?

I hope we don't see tanks roll in. But very rarely has pushing back against authoritarian rule been bloodless. Folks on the mainland know that well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
governator wrote:
Quote:
(((Yair Rosenberg)))
@Yair_Rosenberg
Wow, this is chilling. The NBA minder shuts down CNN's question here and refuses to let the players answer it. Not only are they acting as China's censors for their employees, they're now bringing China's suppression of the critical press to our shores.

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1182309829538467840

This is the position of US government also, why is it chilling or surprising?

not only that, the players are not diplomats and the reporters are vultures circling trying to create an international incident.

That or just doing her job.

i have problems with rioters that regularly throw gasoline bombs and reporters that make laker players uncomfortable by asking questions that they are simply not trained for
think about the distraction that could happen if lebron was tricked into saying something anti-china that makes morey proud

Sounds like those protestors may be in pretty dire straits if they have to resort to petrol bombs.

Lebron's a grown man who can answer media questions. He doesn't need to be infantilized, protected from those tricksy reporters.

i already posted a video of rioters throwing many gasoline bombs at a squad of police in riot gear.
the police were not attacking at all, and the rioters were not threatened as the police were just staying put in formation.

lebron is a grown man with lots of experience, but he is not a trained experienced diplomat.

lol at your last line.

The protestors should use paint thinner molotov cocktails rather than gasoline bombs, though. It would work in their favor on the international stage and we wouldn't get such rough looking, selectively edited videos as the one you posted
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
3baller wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
China doesn't want someone in America who works for an NBA team to have free speech on a subject they don't approve of

China is basically boycotting a company which they perceive has released an offensive statement through one of its high ranking executive. Isn't that within their rights?

How are they curtailing freedom of speech? Morey or anyone in the NBA are still free to tweet whatever they want against china. Instead Morey deleted the tweet and has since apologized.

If you wanna be upset then be upset at these corporations that are bending over to china. Exactly zero employees of the NBA, Apple and Blizzard(in the US) have lost their freedom of speech. Money and greed is what's silencing them than it is China.

Why does the Chinese government feel the need to boycott a private sports league over the Tweet of a private individual?

Should the U.S. (under a non-insane administration) lead boycotts against the CBA playing preseason games in the U.S. if Yao Ming tweets that America is oppressing the colonized people of Puerto Rico who deserve national sovereignty?

as far as china is concerned, hong kong is the biggest threat to their national unity in the last 50 years. furthermore, it is not simple protests but it is basically a mini-civil war going on right now. anything that somebody does which could be significantly increase the support of the protesters is a major problem for china.

this is nothing like the us 'oppressing' puerto rico, and many americans probably would be very happy to let puerto rico go independent to reduce the tax burden from having to financially support the island.

A "civil war," eh? That escalated quickly. I haven't read any formal calls for Hong Kong's secession from protest leaders, though I have no doubt there are some protestors with big dreams of eventual Hong Kong independence.

i said mini-civil war.
what do you call rioters regularly throwing gasoline bombs at the police and the police regularly shooting rubber bullets at the rioters.
a full on civil war would obviously have live bullets, which we are starting to see.

They seem to be calling for full universal suffrage, the release of detained protestors, and investigation of police abuses. Have there been formal demands for Hong Kong's secession or are we just going off of a handful of signs with the word "revolution" on them?

I hope we don't see tanks roll in. But very rarely has pushing back against authoritarian rule been bloodless. Folks on the mainland know that well.

not a handful of signs. all the new signs i have seen in the press has revolution. that appears to be the new theme. imo that was what they were after all along.

u may enjoy the idea of revolution, but most dont as hong kong people used to have a great situation. that includes all my friends and family in hong kong who all know what the final outcome will be. that outcome would mean they have less freedoms and rights before the government is going to clam down because the protestors and rioters have no chance of winning.

mainlanders know about tanks rolling in alright. they are calling for the tanks to roll in now to punish hong kong, which they hate right now.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

lol at your last line.

The protestors should use paint thinner molotov (bleep) rather than gasoline bombs, though. It would work in their favor on the international stage and we wouldn't get such rough looking, selectively edited videos as the one you posted

what is wrong with my last line.
it does appear you want to see lebron put in a difficult situation and perhaps slip up and cause yet another international incident.

i am against any type of militant group, so i have no idea of the difference between a gasoline bomb and one made of paint thinners.
i presume your preference may injured/kill more police.

in terms of quality, i just post what i find in google, so sorry if it is too rough for you.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
3baller wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

i said mini-civil war.

not a handful of signs. all the new signs i have seen in the press has revolution. that appears to be the new theme. imo that was what they were after all along.

u may enjoy the idea of revolution, but most dont as hong kong people used to have a great situation. that includes all my friends and family in hong kong who all know what the final outcome will be. that outcome would mean they have less freedoms and rights before the government is going to clam down because the protestors and rioters have no chance of winning.

mainlanders know about tanks rolling in alright. they are calling for the tanks to roll in now to punish hong kong, which they hate right now.

I think the protestors know that which is why they are going to extreme lengths to attempt to get the leaders to give them concessions. Even the CCP own members don't have it safe, there is always a purge every couple of years to clean house.....look at who lost out in the power struggle to Xi Pooh Bear.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i said mini-civil war.

I think the protestors know that which is why they are going to extreme lengths to attempt to get the leaders to give them concessions. Even the CCP own members don't have it safe, there is always a purge every couple of years to clean house.....look at who lost out in the power struggle to Xi Pooh Bear.

it is the action of the protestors that is forcing china's hands to clam down hard. when they had the extradition law tabled, they should have stopped, celebrated and ended the protests.
they won.
instead they got greedy and full of themselves.
did they seriously believe they could try for more, like independence?

instead, they pushed for more, and more is going to be much much less.
the endgame has to be something the other side can live with
that is especially true when the other side has 1000000x more powerful and can wipe you out in 1 day with tanks rolling in.

and you think the hong kong person has any real power? she can only do what beijing allows. btw, xi has consolidated power and ruler for as long as he wants.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i said mini-civil war.

it is the action of the protestors that is forcing china's hands to clam down hard. when they had the extradition law tabled, they should have stopped, celebrated and ended the protests.
they won.

that is especially true when the other side has 1000000x more powerful and can wipe you out in 1 day with tanks rolling in.

btw, xi has consolidated power and ruler for as long as he wants.

And there is a huge disconnect between the young people and the older folks. The old folks are comfortable with the CCP running things. the young people feel like living under full control of the CCP would be death, so this is why they are going to extreme lengths and not afraid to die for their cause. Are they facing a no win situation? Probably.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

lol at your last line.

The protestors should use paint thinner molotov (bleep) rather than gasoline bombs, though. It would work in their favor on the international stage and we wouldn't get such rough looking, selectively edited videos as the one you posted

what is wrong with my last line.
it does appear you want to see lebron put in a difficult situation and perhaps slip up and cause yet another international incident.

i am against any type of militant group, so i have no idea of the difference between a gasoline bomb and one made of paint thinners.
i presume your preference may injured/kill more police.

in terms of quality, i just post what i find in google, so sorry if it is too rough for you.

Paint thinner has been used the world over in so-called "humanitarian" molotov cocktails because they are less harmful than petrol bombs.

I want Lebron to feel free to speak his mind. I assume he is and has decided not to speak up via other avenues. But the NBA shutting down all post game interviews to "protect" their athletes is infantilizing and kowtowing to external political pressure to protect their bottom line. Not illegal in the U.S., but it is ugly and hopefully contributes to the conversation about U.S. economic policy toward China, foundational neoliberal theories of globalization, the role of sports diplomacy, and the fundamental amorality of our global plutocratic class and how their interests align with oppressive regimes around the world.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i said mini-civil war.

they won.

And there is a huge disconnect between the young people and the older folks. The old folks are comfortable with the CCP running things. the young people feel like living under full control of the CCP would be death, so this is why they are going to extreme lengths and not afraid to die for their cause. Are they facing a no win situation? Probably.

Right? How many older folks around the globe have been railing against Greta Thunberg when she has to live longer in the world they leave behind.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

they won.

yes, they have essentially ruined their life for a long long time.

the few tens of thousands of protestors/rioters should focus their time in getting out of hong kong.

and what they also done is greatly diminish the freedom and rights of the great majority of people.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

So apparently the arena was at capacity in Shanghai this evening with a reported crowd of 18K. I haven't read of any protests outside the arena - were there any?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

So apparently the arena was at capacity in Shanghai this evening with a reported crowd of 18K. I haven't read of any protests outside the arena - were there any?

you mean people holding the chinese flag and signs of 'f- morey'?
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

I don’t get why NBA players need to comment or answer questions about China/HK

Smart move by the NBA. Silly for people here who think NBA players and their opinions matter
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

I thought Chinese flags were handed out at the doors? How many "F-Morey" signs were there, do you know?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I don’t get why NBA players need to comment or answer questions about China/HK

Smart move by the NBA. Silly for people here who think NBA players and their opinions matter

The POTUS tweets screeds directly at NBA players because of their opinions.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

I thought Chinese flags were handed out at the doors? How many "F-Morey" signs were there, do you know?

i am not there so i have no idea. i just read the articles like almost everyone else. i just read more than the average person since my company is involved with trade with china and affected by the trade war.

but what i can tell you is that the mainland chinese absolutely hate hong kong right now and greatly resent foreign intervention, which is what they view morey as.
so even if the signs were handed out, they most likely happily carried those signs by their own free will.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i am not there so i have no idea. i just read the articles like almost everyone else. i just read more than the average person since my company is involved with trade with china and affected by the trade war.

but what i can tell you is that the mainland chinese absolutely hate hong kong right now and greatly resent foreign intervention, which is what they view morey as.
so even if the signs were handed out, they most likely happily carried those signs by their own free will.

It'd be interesting to see public polling on the issue. Do you know if any have been conducted?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Paint thinner has been used the world over in so-called "humanitarian" molotov (bleep) because they are less harmful than petrol bombs.

I want Lebron to feel free to speak his mind. I assume he is and has decided not to speak up via other avenues. But the NBA shutting down all post game interviews to "protect" their athletes is infantilizing and kowtowing to external political pressure to protect their bottom line. Not illegal in the U.S., but it is ugly and hopefully contributes to the conversation about U.S. economic policy toward China, foundational neoliberal theories of globalization, the role of sports diplomacy, and the fundamental amorality of our global plutocratic class and how their interests align with oppressive regimes around the world.

yes i see that

you are a true communist and a militant one at that.
no wonder you are pissed at the chinese communist party, as they had 'lost their way' having gone polar opposite to become the most capitalist place on the planet.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

Paint thinner has been used the world over in so-called "humanitarian" molotov (bleep) because they are less harmful than petrol bombs.

yes i see that

you are a true communist and a militant one at that.
no wonder you are pissed at the chinese communist party, as they had 'lost their way' having gone polar opposite to become the most capitalist place on the planet.

You like fascists and distrust the fourth estate and the right to public assembly when it doesn't adhere towards licking the boots of those in power

As an aside, you'd think the "most capitalist place on the planet" would have the AEI stamp of approval. Poor Derek Scissors just had a minor seizure after you put that comment out into the ether.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

People preaching to NBA players about not speaking out about China while they wear kicks made by Chinese slave labor.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Well at least you finally stopped beating around the bush and disclosed why you side with the CCP.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
People preaching to NBA players about not speaking out about China while they wear kicks made by Chinese slave labor.

The recent conservative attack against vocal athletes like Lebron to whitewash their past efforts to silence athletes' domestic protests is mind-numbingly transparent in its bad faith.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

phones
other electronics
textile
food!!!
furniture
home improvement tools/hardware
everything else

I'm just saying, don't crucify the NBA/players for not speaking up when it is way bigger than them. If you want somebody to speak up, it's US government
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Anyway, it was great to see so many vocal fans of basketball, the Lakers, the Nets, Lebron, and the NBA come out in droves and cheer for the greatest athletes playing the greatest game in the world. China has some of the finest fans in the world.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 23 of 38
Jump to: