Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kwase wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
This is what happens when you choose to do business with a group of immoral people like the Chinese communist party. Hate to see it!

no, this is what happened when you send out tweets without considering consequences.

Yeah, the authoritarian regime tries to force you to abandon your own morals.

other country's matter is none of our business. you are not a Chinese citizen, so you got nothing to worry about.
when we have our Moral in Chief Trump in the office, discussing morals is funny.

Why not?

No offense, but you wouldn't like it if other countries started poking their noses in our business. America has a serious race problem, obesity is rampant, or food is loaded with poisons, we have veterans living on the streets, our health care system is designed for drug companies to make lots of money while you get sicker and poorer and for some reason we can't stop our citizens from shooting up schools, churches and concerts. We got enough to worry about on our own soil.

I think George W. Bush and his cohort should've been tried at the hague and that the EU should levy sanctions against the U.S. for its gross humanitarian rights abuses in contravention of the 1951 Refugee Convention. I'd also be ecstatic if there was an international call for the US to issue reparations for slavery.

Obviously other nations already warn their citizens about the dangers of traveling to the U.S. There's Canadian medical insurance that solely exists for Canadian citizens who frequently travel in the U.S. Etc.

well, that is some nice fantasy world you have there.
most of us have to deal with reality.

Be the change you want to see in the world or something.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
kwase wrote:

No offense, but you wouldn't like it if other countries started poking their noses in our business. America has a serious race problem, obesity is rampant, or food is loaded with poisons, we have veterans living on the streets, our health care system is designed for drug companies to make lots of money while you get sicker and poorer and for some reason we can't stop our citizens from shooting up schools, churches and concerts. We got enough to worry about on our own soil.

I think George W. Bush and his cohort should've been tried at the hague and that the EU should levy sanctions against the U.S. for its gross humanitarian rights abuses in contravention of the 1951 Refugee Convention. I'd also be ecstatic if there was an international call for the US to issue reparations for slavery.

Obviously other nations already warn their citizens about the dangers of traveling to the U.S. There's Canadian medical insurance that solely exists for Canadian citizens who frequently travel in the U.S. Etc.

i dont know how you live with constant disappointment
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
kwase wrote:

i dont know how you live with constant disappointment

Booze, weed, Lakers basketball, and a burning hatred for scum (bleep) like Trump and Xi
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

A good quick read on why Lebron James (and other NBA players) will in part keep their mouths shut about anything that isn't glowing about China:

Quote:
Players might not be as shameless in their devotion to their Chinese interests as Harden or new Nets owner Joe Tsai, who just came out and said the hurt that Morey caused “will take a long time to repair” after going on an odd mansplain-y detour about the Opium Wars. (Rich people!) But don’t expect James to speak up on this one. It is one thing to speak out on injustice in our country; you can actually sell more Nike shoes that way. But going after China is just bad business. What NBA players have done by speaking out on social issues in the United States has made an important difference, and it will inspire future generations of players to do the same. But the bottom line is going to come first when it comes to China. Adam Silver has found another issue in which his interests and the interests of his players absolutely align. It won’t do the people of Hong Kong any good. It might make him, and his players, look bad in the eyes of Beto O’Rourke and Ted Cruz, but they don’t buy, or make, enough shoes to matter.

Link
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Since this seems to be the game thread, I'm really interested to see if the Nets come out with Rodions Kurucs against AD or if they go with an Allen/Jordan twin towers look to match up.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Since this seems to be the game thread, I'm really interested to see if the Nets come out with Rodions Kurucs against AD or if they go with an Allen/Jordan twin towers look to match up.

I’d love for the Nets to try the twin tower lineups. AD will start sinking a bunch of threes. Then when they close out AD on the perimeter , Lebron will start attacking the rim 💪🏀💪🏀💪🏀💪

Pick your poison NBA, you’ve been warned 😈😈😈😈😈😈
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad people are voicing their oposition to human rights abuses in China. Just wish more Americans would do the same when it comes to ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm glad people are voicing their oposition to human rights abuses in China. Just wish more Americans would do the same when it comes to ourselves.

Here's a place you can start: Donate to Raices

Disclaimer: I'm a disgruntled Caliburn International employee.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

You couldn't be more right. It's sad how we like to point the finger, and refuse to look in the mirror.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

NBA reportedly has ‘no plans’ to cancel Lakers and Nets preseason games in China, but games may not happen anyway

“It has been frustrating for the players. The Lakers were supposed to participate in an NBA cares community event to benefit the Special Olympics today. The government cancelled that. Both teams were supposed to participate in a fan appreciation event tonight. That was cancelled. Their practices had to be moved because the arena suddenly wasn’t available to them. And also, they watched signs advertising this game on Thursday disappearing from around town.

“This has naturally led to questions about whether this game is actually going to happen. Players got the chance to ask Adam Silver that directly, today. I’m told in that meeting that he informed the players that the NBA intends to go forward, and in turn, some of them expressed their frustration at being put in this position. They didn’t feel comfortable talking to the media because they didn’t want to answer the questions they’d inevitably be asked. And they really felt like they were being put in a bad position with the fans.”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/10/9/20906529/nba-no-plans-cancel-lakers-nets-preseason-games-china-schedule-nba-training-camp-brooklyn
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
laker4life wrote:
This is what happens when you choose to do business with a group of immoral people like the Chinese communist party. Hate to see it!

Wrong,

this is what happens when you send out a tweet without thinking.

It's largely wrong because it seems to naively posit there's morality in business.

Screw China period. A government making this big of a deal over a tweet is digusting. Boycott the Rockets? sure. But making this a mountain of an issue is just stupid and shows how petty and authoritarian regime really is.

All I see is a bunch of jealous Chinese people mad that people in Hong Kong can actually protest an issue without a tank running them over. Just a sad group of people who can't even disagree with their government on anything. I see now why organs are being harvested on a mass scale and nobody is saying a word over there.

If I was the NBA, I would pull out completely and focus all the resources on India, Middle East, and African countries like Nigeria, Ethiopia, etc... In 50 years, those countries will far outnumber Chinese citizens when you factor in birth rates; Indians will surpass Chinese by themselves in the next 20 years and countries like Nigeria will have more youth that can be nurtured to be pro-NBA and American.

If China can't deal with a US person expressing their free opinion on a US platform like Twitter then the NBA should take the short term hit and focus on the other 200 countries in the world that appreciate the NBA.

easy to say
harder to walk away from tens of billions of dollars of profits

I really enjoy reading the opinions of the members of this site. On this topic, I agree with Kobe,and also understand, unfortunately, what Cal1 says.

I have to admit, I am pretty ignorant on what is really going on in China over the years, and lately with Hong Kong - my fault. Looks like the HK protests have been going on since around May!

I have started to do a little research. Of course, like with anything, you have to be careful from what sources you are reading. Generally, mainstream media sources usually do not tell you the entire story,at least with what is going on in the USA. So far, I have come across statements like:

"Amnesty International has documented widespread human rights violations in China."

If true, it is a shame that the NBA, and the USA in general, would do business with a country that kills people merely for expressing what they believe to be injustices/wrongs.

Its also like that man who was killed (supposedly) at the Saudi consulate in Turkey because he talked about the wrongs of the Saudi regime. Looks like the US turned its back because, wait, we sell billions of $$ in weapons, etc. to Saudi Arabia. Like Cal1 said.....and I would add, I guess "money talks".

Wonderful World....... I guess that's why most of us come to this LG site to temporarily get away from all the crap in the World and talk sports.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
NBA reportedly has ‘no plans’ to cancel Lakers and Nets preseason games in China, but games may not happen anyway

“It has been frustrating for the players. The Lakers were supposed to participate in an NBA cares community event to benefit the Special Olympics today. The government cancelled that. Both teams were supposed to participate in a fan appreciation event tonight. That was cancelled. Their practices had to be moved because the arena suddenly wasn’t available to them. And also, they watched signs advertising this game on Thursday disappearing from around town.

“This has naturally led to questions about whether this game is actually going to happen. Players got the chance to ask Adam Silver that directly, today. I’m told in that meeting that he informed the players that the NBA intends to go forward, and in turn, some of them expressed their frustration at being put in this position. They didn’t feel comfortable talking to the media because they didn’t want to answer the questions they’d inevitably be asked. And they really felt like they were being put in a bad position with the fans.”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/10/9/20906529/nba-no-plans-cancel-lakers-nets-preseason-games-china-schedule-nba-training-camp-brooklyn

"Their practices had to be moved because the arena suddenly wasn’t available to them."

"Hey... Lebron... you think they're trying to tell us something?" Lebron, "nah Dwight, here, have a candy bar." Dwight, "yippie!"
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Wrong,

It's largely wrong because it seems to naively posit there's morality in business.

Screw China period. A government making this big of a deal over a tweet is digusting. Boycott the Rockets? sure. But making this a mountain of an issue is just stupid and shows how petty and authoritarian regime really is.

All I see is a bunch of jealous Chinese people mad that people in Hong Kong can actually protest an issue without a tank running them over. Just a sad group of people who can't even disagree with their government on anything. I see now why organs are being harvested on a mass scale and nobody is saying a word over there.

If I was the NBA, I would pull out completely and focus all the resources on India, Middle East, and African countries like Nigeria, Ethiopia, etc... In 50 years, those countries will far outnumber Chinese citizens when you factor in birth rates; Indians will surpass Chinese by themselves in the next 20 years and countries like Nigeria will have more youth that can be nurtured to be pro-NBA and American.

If China can't deal with a US person expressing their free opinion on a US platform like Twitter then the NBA should take the short term hit and focus on the other 200 countries in the world that appreciate the NBA.

easy to say

I really enjoy reading the opinions of the members of this site. On this topic, I agree with Kobe,and also understand, unfortunately, what Cal1 says.

I have to admit, I am pretty ignorant on what is really going on in China over the years, and lately with Hong Kong - my fault. Looks like the HK protests have been going on since around May!

I have started to do a little research. Of course, like with anything, you have to be careful from what sources you are reading. Generally, mainstream media sources usually do not tell you the entire story,at least with what is going on in the USA. So far, I have come across statements like:

"Amnesty International has documented widespread human rights violations in China."

If true, it is a shame that the NBA, and the USA in general, would do business with a country that kills people merely for expressing what they believe to be injustices/wrongs.

Its also like that man who was killed (supposedly) at the Saudi consulate in Turkey because he talked about the wrongs of the Saudi regime. Looks like the US turned its back because, wait, we sell billions of $$ in weapons, etc. to Saudi Arabia. Like Cal1 said.....and I would add, I guess "money talks".

Wonderful World....... I guess that's why most of us come to this LG site to temporarily get away from all the crap in the World and talk sports.

there's human rights violations everywhere you look around the world. look at India, men get away with raping women all the time, and yet, just because they're an U.S. ally, we turn the other way. you can say the same to many middle eastern countries as well. people should get off their high horses and face reality, china is here to stay, it's not the china of your dad or grandpa's era. yes, it is because of the money, no denying it, but money talks one way or the other.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Wrong,

easy to say

forgeting the profit part of things, here is my understanding of what happened in hong kong.

imo, in the overall scheme of things, what the hong kong authorities are doing is very mild. there are things that china does that is scary but this is really really mild in comparison.

the whole thing started out as an extradition law. macau, a different autonomous area, actually had no trouble with the law and approved it. hong kong was a whole different case.

after protests, the law was then tabled and then later removed. so the protesters essentially won. if i were them, i would have had a big party and claimed victory. but now the protesters now have 5 new demands. any sane rational person from hong kong or china would know that the chinese government would not approve it. but the protesters are asking for the impossible, so they essentially have no real end-game.

now it has gotten ugly. the police uses tear gas, rubber bullets and i am sure there are beatings. the protesters fight back with gasoline bombs, launching projectiles with a catapult and whatever hand weapons they can find. many of the protesters have actually said on video they want a revolution to overthrow the government.

caught in the middle are lots of ordinary citizens live in fear of the protests and saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. of course, we know about the corporations such as apple, the lakers and the nba.

to give you an example of what is going on with apple, there is an iphone application that tracts police locations and movements. the protesters can riot and destroy stuff while knowing how far away the police is. that is why china is pissed at apple. i would not be surprised if there are stoppages in handset/internet to take away this capability of the protesters.

calm protests are one thing but violent protests are another story. no country can tolerate people regularly hurling gasoline bombs and attacking the police. i read somewhere that a lot of the protesters who are realizing the violent fraction of their movement are ultimately dooming them long term. imo, if the protests dont start calming down soon, i expect the authorities to really come down hard on the protesters soon.

i have family in hong kong who are just sitting tight at home to stay safe, and i also have business colleagues in china who are livid when hong kong is mentioned.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Wrong,

easy to say

forgeting the profit part of things, here is my understanding of what happened in hong kong.

imo, in the overall scheme of things, what the hong kong authorities are doing is very mild. there are things that china does that is scary but this is really really mild in comparison.

the whole thing started out as an extradition law. macau, a different autonomous area, actually had no trouble with the law and approved it. hong kong was a whole different case.

after protests, the law was then tabled and then later removed. so the protesters essentially won. if i were them, i would have had a big party and claimed victory. but now the protesters now have 5 new demands. any sane rational person from hong kong or china would know that the chinese government would not approve it. but the protesters are asking for the impossible, so they essentially have no real end-game.

now it has gotten ugly. the police uses tear gas, rubber bullets and i am sure there are beatings. the protesters fight back with gasoline bombs, launching projectiles with a catapult and whatever hand weapons they can find. many of the protesters have actually said on video they want a revolution to overthrow the government.

caught in the middle are lots of ordinary citizens live in fear of the protests and saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. of course, we know about the corporations such as apple, the lakers and the nba.

to give you an example of what is going on with apple, there is an iphone application that tracts police locations and movements. the protesters can riot and destroy stuff while knowing how far away the police is. that is why china is pissed at apple. i would not be surprised if there are stoppages in handset/internet to take away this capability of the protesters.

calm protests are one thing but violent protests are another story. no country can tolerate people regularly hurling gasoline bombs and attacking the police. i read somewhere that a lot of the protesters who are realizing the violent fraction of their movement are ultimately dooming them long term. imo, if the protests dont start calming down soon, i expect the authorities to really come down hard on the protesters soon.

i have family in hong kong who are just sitting tight at home to stay safe, and i also have business colleagues in china who are livid when hong kong is mentioned.

I have heard the same.

The crazy protestors are a minority and they are causing all of this trouble.

The majority of the HKs people are not protesting.

The media is feeding it. Now, stupid Morey caused more problems like an idiot.

You are correct the people in China are livid with the violent protest that causes substantial damages.

It is a complex issue that has gone on for many years. Hong Kong was originally an English colony which gave up control to China.

There are these other historical perspective which really does not involved us.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

^ The only solution is clearly to shoot the crazy protesters. Really, that should be the solution to all the crazy protesters everywhere in the world damaging property.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

I have heard the same.

The crazy protestors are a minority and they are causing all of this trouble.

The majority of the HKs people are not protesting.

The media is feeding it. Now, stupid Morey caused more problems like an idiot.

You are correct the people in China are livid with the violent protest that causes substantial damages.

It is a complex issue that has gone on for many years. Hong Kong was originally an English colony which gave up control to China.

There are these other historical perspective which really does not involved us.

i think they are talking about tens of thousands of protesters.
but these are hard-core.
many are violent.
the only hope i see right now is that the sane fraction of the protesters calm the violent ones down
if that does not happen, it could get real bad real soon.
for the hard-core protesters, i think their freedom has already been sacrificed.
there is no way that china will allow them to hide in hong kong.
i expect them to be slowly systematically hunted down even if the protests die down whether there is an extradition law or not.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

I’d love for the Nets to try the twin tower lineups. AD will start sinking a bunch of threes. Then when they close out AD on the perimeter , Lebron will start attacking the rim 💪🏀💪🏀💪🏀💪

Pick your poison NBA, you’ve been warned 😈😈😈😈😈😈

AD had one game where he struggled against the Nets last season and a second where he put up 34 and 26. So no real trend against Jarrett Allen
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

here is a video of what happened to a jp morgan banker going back to his office building. i think he was stupid and dared to talk back to the protesters who surrounded him and one guy beat him.

hong kong is a very unpleasant place to be so the team better not go there

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GR88q8pIw][/url]
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
here is a video of what happened to a jp morgan banker going back to his office building. i think he was stupid and dared to talk back to the protesters who surrounded him and one guy beat him.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GR88q8pIw][/url]

Do you support antifa?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You couldn't be more right. It's sad how we like to point the finger, and refuse to look in the mirror.
Ahhh but many of us do look in the mirror all the time. It's a false assumption that those of us critical of China are not even more critical of our own government. Look at a certain leaders approval ratings. We do voice dissent on injustices here at home. This country, if anything, has a variety of opinions on any topic involving domestic issues. Enough so that this little tiff is mild in comparison.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

^ The only solution is clearly to shoot the crazy protesters. Really, that should be the solution to all the crazy protesters everywhere in the world damaging property.

Sarcasm on your part but probably the likely end game
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

[/url]

Do you support antifa?

i dont support any radical groups whether in china or usa

here are protesters throwing gasoline bombs, which shows it is not a protest but way beyond that.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV5bj_J2msE]
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

You see this ? Russ knows what’s up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7554615/Houston-Rockets-player-Russell-Westbrook-hailed-hero-China-wearing-Chinese-top.html
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
kwase wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Ahhh but many of us do look in the mirror all the time. It's a false assumption that those of us critical of China are not even more critical of our own government. Look at a certain leaders approval ratings. We do voice dissent on injustices here at home. This country, if anything, has a variety of opinions on any topic involving domestic issues. Enough so that this little tiff is mild in comparison.

Exactly this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 17 of 38
Jump to: