China bans Houston Rockets over pro-Hong Kong tweet by Morey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13648

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So the Lakers-Nets game in Shanghai won't air in China.


we can see it on nbatv tho right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23729

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So the Lakers-Nets game in Shanghai won't air in China.


we can see it on nbatv tho right?

To the best of my knowledge. Things are escalating right now, though, so the game could be cancelled.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29587

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So the Lakers-Nets game in Shanghai won't air in China.


we can see it on nbatv tho right?

To the best of my knowledge. Things are escalating right now, though, so the game could be cancelled.


Will they even allow "fans" to attend the game or are all 1.4 billion going to boycott in person too?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 347
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
governator wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So the Lakers-Nets game in Shanghai won't air in China.


we can see it on nbatv tho right?

To the best of my knowledge. Things are escalating right now, though, so the game could be cancelled.


Will they even allow "fans" to attend the game or are all 1.4 billion going to boycott in person too?


fans who will not boycott are not allowed to speak, they are not counted of these 1.4b and not to be regarded as "Chinese".
_________________
You are not alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29587

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37752
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.


I agree....I will be very interested in his response or lack of response.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13648

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.


I agree....I will be very interested in his response or lack of response.


Not fair to single out one athlete/person regarding a non-domestic issue. Our own government chose to stay on the sideline
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37752
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.


I agree....I will be very interested in his response or lack of response.


Not fair to single out one athlete/person regarding a non-domestic issue. Our own government chose to stay on the sideline


it is your prerogative to make such claims, but like I said, I will find the response or lack of one very interesting. For the record, I would not offer a position as a NBA player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13648

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.


I agree....I will be very interested in his response or lack of response.


Not fair to single out one athlete/person regarding a non-domestic issue. Our own government chose to stay on the sideline


it is your prerogative to make such claims, but like I said, I will find the response or lack of one very interesting. For the record, I would not offer a position as a NBA player.


LeBron has been very vocal regarding domestic issues. There is a lot of non-domestic issue that American Athlete just doesn't get into (Myanmar's Rohingya situation, Indonesia's LGBTQ new law protest, Saudi Kashoggi murder, etc), what's the purpose of singling out LeBron?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 32641

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

Morey will have to "live with the consequences."
I wonder what he learned from this situation.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 20141

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Silver is a (bleep) hypocrite. I appreciate the support of democracy but If you are argument is free speech than you should have let Donald sterling keep owning the clippers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33074

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

So China banned South Park and now they might be on the way to banning the NBA.....guess Pooh bear didn't like what he heard....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12898

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

Good for Morey.
_________________
There was NO COLLUSION with Russia. Ukraine, Australia, Italy, Britain and others are a different story . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29587

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Lebron responds to all this. He's got Space Jam in the works and probably doesn't want to miss out on that $200 million in ticket sales.


I agree....I will be very interested in his response or lack of response.


Not fair to single out one athlete/person regarding a non-domestic issue. Our own government chose to stay on the sideline


it is your prerogative to make such claims, but like I said, I will find the response or lack of one very interesting. For the record, I would not offer a position as a NBA player.


LeBron has been very vocal regarding domestic issues. There is a lot of non-domestic issue that American Athlete just doesn't get into (Myanmar's Rohingya situation, Indonesia's LGBTQ new law protest, Saudi Kashoggi murder, etc), what's the purpose of singling out LeBron?


I mentioned Lebron specifically because he's been outspoken about domestic issues and issues regarding the NBA, he is the face of the NBA and he has a large financial stake in the resolution of this outcome.

I'm not looking for him to have a profound knowledge of the history (I don't myself), but I think he understands the lack of certain freedoms the people of China have and on a human level, that probably doesn't sit well with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

As someone mentioned, no NBA superstar is going to publicly take the side of the HK protesters, that'll affect their bottom line. It's easy to criticize the LGBT restroom law in North Carolina a few years back or criticize Trump, criticizing China's policies is a whole other ball game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23095

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
it is your prerogative to make such claims, but like I said, I will find the response or lack of one very interesting. For the record, I would not offer a position as a NBA player.


LeBron has been very vocal regarding domestic issues. There is a lot of non-domestic issue that American Athlete just doesn't get into (Myanmar's Rohingya situation, Indonesia's LGBTQ new law protest, Saudi Kashoggi murder, etc), what's the purpose of singling out LeBron?


Lebron has a much more tangible financial stake in this flap. It does put him in an awkward position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 7587

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Kerr pontificates about a bunch of things. Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on the China situation?
----------
Anthony Slater

Verified account

@anthonyVslater

Steve Kerr no comments on the Morey/China/NBA situation. Says he’s been reading about it, doesn’t feel versed enough to comment. Full back and forth here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 32641

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Kerr pontificates about a bunch of things. Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on the China situation?
----------
Anthony Slater

Verified account

@anthonyVslater

Steve Kerr no comments on the Morey/China/NBA situation. Says he’s been reading about it, doesn’t feel versed enough to comment. Full back and forth here.


LOL.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Kerr pontificates about a bunch of things. Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on the China situation?
----------
Anthony Slater

Verified account

@anthonyVslater

Steve Kerr no comments on the Morey/China/NBA situation. Says he’s been reading about it, doesn’t feel versed enough to comment. Full back and forth here.


Bbbbbbut I thought the NBA was a woke league!

Steve Kerr, Greg Popovich, Lebron, yall know they ain't gonna to say anything and mess up that Chinese money bag. Like I said it's real easy to criticize Trump, your local, state, and national government when your bottom line isn't going to be affected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33074

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

It sounds like a crackdown on HK is inevitable if you listen to the tone of the politicians in China and HK. The problem for China was that Daryl Morey brought some unwanted attention to the cause which makes for more bad press if they decide to go along with those plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23729

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Kerr pontificates about a bunch of things. Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on the China situation?
----------
Anthony Slater

Verified account

@anthonyVslater

Steve Kerr no comments on the Morey/China/NBA situation. Says he’s been reading about it, doesn’t feel versed enough to comment. Full back and forth here.


Bbbbbbut I thought the NBA was a woke league!

Steve Kerr, Greg Popovich, Lebron, yall know they ain't gonna to say anything and mess up that Chinese money bag. Like I said it's real easy to criticize Trump, your local, state, and national government when your bottom line isn't going to be affected.

True, but they also have more of a stake in domestic issues being Americans than they do international affairs.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29587

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

I thought Kerr would have at least spoke about free speech and China's response to Morey's tweet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
StoicChalice392
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 771
Location: Yorba Linda, Ca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

They buy shoes and jerseys too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33074

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
They buy shoes and jerseys too


These guys railed MJ for the position he took and now they are forced to do the same when there is real money on the line that they could potentially lose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23729

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Much better second statement from Silver. This is all so stupid.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB