China bans Houston Rockets over pro-Hong Kong tweet by Morey
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 5074
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: China bans Houston Rockets over pro-Hong Kong tweet by Morey

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/06/u-s-presidential-candidate-yang-blasts-chinese-response-to-rockets/

g a t e w a y

t
o

c h i n a
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23855

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I think Morey's looking to get fired rather than quit, but credit to him for *briefly* standing up for political rights in Hong Kong via social media.

No surprise that the NBA is chickensquirt cowards when it comes to progressive stances that could cost them money.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33182

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Rockets and the NBA are learning the price of doing business in Communist China.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12992

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Rockets and the NBA are learning the price of doing business in Communist China.


Sadly, it is a price they are willing to pay.
_________________
There was NO COLLUSION with Russia. Ukraine, Australia, Italy, Britain and others are a different story . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29640

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject:

Nets owner now claiming 1.4 billion Chinese NBA fans all were offended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 7620
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

Land of the Brave
Home of the Free

Shame on you China. Respect Democracy and Human Rights

Cowards backing down from the almighty dollar.. Humans don't even comprehend Personal Integrity should not be sold.
_________________
КОБЭ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17309
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Maybe the Rockets should look at bringing back Jeremy Lin.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 23513

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/deg2cg/it_is_absurd_to_me_that_the_nba_removed_the_all/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33182

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Rockets and the NBA are learning the price of doing business in Communist China.


Sadly, it is a price they are willing to pay.


The NBA is finding out that they are only in business in China because of the government's blessing....if the government decides its no longer welcome they will make the league disappear within China....no NBA games on Chinese TV, no NBA superstars promoting the game, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 5707

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Interesting, detailed commentary by the Nets' new owner, Joseph Tsai, about this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.tsai.3781/posts/2653378931391524

It's a complex issue that can be debated endlessly.

I'll just say that I would welcome Darryl Morey as a President of Basketball Operations for the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 33200

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

1/ I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China. I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.


Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

2/ I have always appreciated the significant support our Chinese fans and sponsors have provided and I would hope that those who are upset will know that offending or misunderstanding them was not my intention. My tweets are my own and in no way represent the Rockets or the NBA.



Also, did he delete the initial pro-protester tweet? I couldnt find it on his timeline.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23855

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Interesting, detailed commentary by the Nets' new owner, Joseph Tsai, about this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.tsai.3781/posts/2653378931391524

It's a complex issue that can be debated endlessly.

I'll just say that I would welcome Darryl Morey as a President of Basketball Operations for the Lakers.

Love to see a Taiwanese billionaire kiss CCP ass. Based on his post I bet he believes the CIA is orchestrating the Hong Kong protests.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33182

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Interesting, detailed commentary by the Nets' new owner, Joseph Tsai, about this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.tsai.3781/posts/2653378931391524

It's a complex issue that can be debated endlessly.

I'll just say that I would welcome Darryl Morey as a President of Basketball Operations for the Lakers.

Love to see a Taiwanese billionaire kiss CCP ass. Based on his post I bet he believes the CIA is orchestrating the Hong Kong protests.


Joe Tsai would not be a billionaire without the help of the CCP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23855

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Interesting, detailed commentary by the Nets' new owner, Joseph Tsai, about this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.tsai.3781/posts/2653378931391524

It's a complex issue that can be debated endlessly.

I'll just say that I would welcome Darryl Morey as a President of Basketball Operations for the Lakers.

Love to see a Taiwanese billionaire kiss CCP ass. Based on his post I bet he believes the CIA is orchestrating the Hong Kong protests.


Joe Tsai would not be a billionaire without the help of the CCP.

I know.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Dec 2013
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

This is so sad and pathetic. This shows the greed of the Rockets and the NBA. To think the Rockets are considering firing a guy because he stands with democracy and human rights... There are no words.

I am not surprised Harden piped up supporting China. After all, he went to ASU. I am pretty sure ASU rejects students who score higher than average to just below average on their SATs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1qYEWsk2M

I want to see a news channel go to Adam Silver and Fertitta and on camera flat out ask them if they support democracy and human rights or communism and oppression. Put them on the spot. I would love to see them squirm their way out of that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33182

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
This is so sad and pathetic. This shows the greed of the Rockets and the NBA. To think the Rockets are considering firing a guy because he stands with democracy and human rights... There are no words.

I am not surprised Harden piped up supporting China. After all, he went to ASU. I am pretty sure ASU rejects students who score higher than average to just below average on their SATs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1qYEWsk2M

I want to see a news channel go to Adam Silver and Fertitta and on camera flat out ask them if they support democracy and human rights or communism and oppression. Put them on the spot. I would love to see them squirm their way out of that one.


I doubt you will see any NBA superstars saying they support the protestors. Its a great way to get themselves locked out of the market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29640

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

1/ I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China. I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.


Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

2/ I have always appreciated the significant support our Chinese fans and sponsors have provided and I would hope that those who are upset will know that offending or misunderstanding them was not my intention. My tweets are my own and in no way represent the Rockets or the NBA.



Also, did he delete the initial pro-protester tweet? I couldnt find it on his timeline.


Yea, he deleted them. Caved under pressure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 411

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I think a lot of NBA fans are pissed.

NBA Twitter and Reddit are on fire. Absolutely killing the Houston owner and Adam Silver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 135135
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
This is so sad and pathetic. This shows the greed of the Rockets and the NBA. To think the Rockets are considering firing a guy because he stands with democracy and human rights... There are no words.

I am not surprised Harden piped up supporting China. After all, he went to ASU. I am pretty sure ASU rejects students who score higher than average to just below average on their SATs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1qYEWsk2M

I want to see a news channel go to Adam Silver and Fertitta and on camera flat out ask them if they support democracy and human rights or communism and oppression. Put them on the spot. I would love to see them squirm their way out of that one.


I doubt you will see any NBA superstars saying they support the protestors. Its a great way to get themselves locked out of the market.


That is why I ignore any athlete who comes out with a stance on social issues, it’s usually pretty easy to follow the money.
_________________
Lennon lives
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 33200

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

1/ I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China. I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.


Quote:
Daryl Morey @dmorey 17h

2/ I have always appreciated the significant support our Chinese fans and sponsors have provided and I would hope that those who are upset will know that offending or misunderstanding them was not my intention. My tweets are my own and in no way represent the Rockets or the NBA.



Also, did he delete the initial pro-protester tweet? I couldnt find it on his timeline.


Yea, he deleted them. Caved under pressure.


Cool.
Glad he came to his $ense$
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 5074
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Nets owner wrote:
The one thing that is terribly misunderstood, and often ignored, by the western press and those critical of China is that 1.4 billion Chinese citizens stand united when it comes to the territorial integrity of China and the country’s sovereignty over her homeland. This issue is non-negotiable.


lol (bleep) this bootlicker
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18285

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

...
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!


Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 347
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject:

Dont sh!t in the place where you eat. To Daryl Morey。i fully know what happen in China right now, it is on the way to age of Mao, but i just want to watch the game. i think Morey will resign soon.
_________________
You are not alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 13998

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Nets owner wrote:
The one thing that is terribly misunderstood, and often ignored, by the western press and those critical of China is that 1.4 billion Chinese citizens stand united when it comes to the territorial integrity of China and the country’s sovereignty over her homeland. This issue is non-negotiable.


lol (bleep) this bootlicker


((RACIST COMMENT REMOVED - JMK)) .


hope you're not doing racist accent

Chinese government not equal chinese people (not that there's an excuse for the accent)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 23855

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject:

So the Lakers-Nets game in Shanghai won't air in China.
_________________
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB