LAKERS -at- WARRIORS - 10-5-19 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don’t get the Rondo stuff
He was a positive in this game
I understand the fear of what theoretically could happen

But in this game he showed

- he will take and make the open 3
- he will find AD in the post
- he will run back on D fast and disrupt a pass on the break with his length

I like Bradley starting. I would like Caruso to start next game to see what he can do with the starting talent.

This was a good game by Rondo though IMO. Justified his role and contract. Between 20-24 mpg for him off the bench is fine if he continues to do what he didn’t in this game.

It was a good game from him but having watched him all last season, I don’t think we can expect him to be as disruptive on D as he was last night. So credit for the good D in this one, but that won’t hold up.

Offensively, I mentioned the great chemistry with AD. I think we need to take advantage of that ... early in the season, especially. That’s where Rondo makes sense and he had some great moments with AD. (I think we might want some McGee/Rondo minutes, too, because there is already chemistry there...and Dwight/Rondo last night was looking sketchy).

I absolutely hate seeing him in the 5-out lineup with LBJ and AD. Why have him there if LeBron is going to be the point of attack in those situations to take advantage of the floor spacing we should have? Put a shooter with actual gravity out there to get the floor spaced for our duo. Teams will live with a couple threes by Rondo in order to continually muck up the advantages of that lineup as LeBron/AD try to impose themselves.

I picture a lot of that first half rotation as how Vogel & Co. might be thinking we run games. I’m picturing us going to our small lineup to close ... but if Rondo is going to be a part of that closing unit, that will seriously negate the ability for LBJ/AD to dominate offensively like they should. That should be pick your poison time with teams second guessing defensive rotations. We will see. Just the first game, so it’s not an actual trend. And things will likely be fluid as they see how teams react.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

I thought Rondo was decent last night. Him dying on screens is the big issue, but his chemistry with AD is undeniable. Maybe they can sneak a few minutes against offensively challenged 2nd unit PG opponents.

AD monster.
Rebounding tremendous.
AB disrupting Steph’s flow.

As long as they can switch effectively with the JaVale/Dwight big lineups, that defense looks tough with that length.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Starting to wake up after 6 years... but, yeah, AD is a Laker!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I thought Rondo was decent last night. Him dying on screens is the big issue, but his chemistry with AD is undeniable. Maybe they can sneak a few minutes against offensively challenged 2nd unit PG opponents.

AD monster.
Rebounding tremendous.
AB disrupting Steph’s flow.

As long as they can switch effectively with the JaVale/Dwight big lineups, that defense looks tough with that length.

I think with help defenders, Rondo will be able to go up a notch on D.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, DB.

For me, the season hasn’t officially begun until I read your first T&R. Much appreciated for all your hard work!

So excited to watch things unfold this year. I’m worried about Rondo’s projected role, but beyond that, I really liked what I saw.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I like Bradley starting. I would like Caruso to start next game to see what he can do with the starting talent.

This was a good game by Rondo though IMO. Justified his role and contract. Between 20-24 mpg for him off the bench is fine if he continues to do what he didn’t in this game.
It was a good game from him but having watched him all last season, I don’t think we can expect him to be as disruptive on D as he was last night. So credit for the good D in this one, but that won’t hold up.

Offensively, I mentioned the great chemistry with AD. I think we need to take advantage of that ... early in the season, especially. That’s where Rondo makes sense and he had some great moments with AD. (I think we might want some McGee/Rondo minutes, too, because there is already chemistry there...and Dwight/Rondo last night was looking sketchy).

I absolutely hate seeing him in the 5-out lineup with LBJ and AD. Why have him there if LeBron is going to be the point of attack in those situations to take advantage of the floor spacing we should have? Put a shooter with actual gravity out there to get the floor spaced for our duo. Teams will live with a couple threes by Rondo in order to continually muck up the advantages of that lineup as LeBron/AD try to impose themselves.

I picture a lot of that first half rotation as how Vogel & Co. might be thinking we run games. I’m picturing us going to our small lineup to close ... but if Rondo is going to be a part of that closing unit, that will seriously negate the ability for LBJ/AD to dominate offensively like they should. That should be pick your poison time with teams second guessing defensive rotations. We will see. Just the first game, so it’s not an actual trend. And things will likely be fluid as they see how teams react.
Totally agree with you, DB

Smart and savvy coaches will do what Kerr did, give Rondo a whole acre of land by himself if he is located anywhere near the top of the key

Given our options at PG (LBJ, Caruso, Bradley and others), Rondo will have limited PT, hence able to play with the intensity that Bradley showed at the beginning of the game

Rondo probably better on the 2nd team that has a greater need of a leader to organize the offense
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

DB in the house!

It's gonna be a good year for us.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff, DB! This is gonna be a fun season. Thanks!!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

great game but what was with the Lakers tweet after a pre-season game? that was embarrassing!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Haha. Yeah, I agree. That was a cringe for me.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
what was with the Lakers tweet after a pre-season game? that was embarrassing!

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yeah I get what you are saying but based on last season we should not expect Dwight to be effective at all, Bradley should be a bust, Lebron should not defend a chair etc etc

Rondo seems to be getting the treatment where even when he plays well he is not given credit for this. I know you are not doing this DB, but I thought the game he played in that 1st half for a 4.5M a year player was fantastic. If we get 60 games like that from him in the RS, I am very happy. Now lets see if it happens. I am with many as I suspect Rondo will not keep it up. However if he does take the open 3 point shots, continues to boast chemistry with AD and plays a disruptive role on D, I support giving him 20-24 mpg at the PG spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

Rondo isn't being given credit because 1) he wasn't very good the other night even if he wasn't absolutely putrid in a preseason game, 2) he has been mediocre to terrible for several seasons now, and 3) he's a small guard who will soon be 34 years old.

It's like the Lakers re-hired Jeremy Lin with the way some folks will go to the mat to defend Rondo.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Rondo isn't being given credit because 1) he wasn't very good the other night even if he wasn't absolutely putrid in a preseason game, 2) he has been mediocre to terrible for several seasons now, and 3) he's a small guard who will soon be 34 years old.

It's like the Lakers re-hired Jeremy Lin with the way some folks will go to the mat to defend Rondo.

I don’t think it’s sustainable either but AD and Lebron seem to want him on the court. I’m afraid the Lakers are going to give Rondo the minutes and have AD and JaVale/Dwight cover for his lack of defensive capability.

Caruso/Bradley is the way to go. Caruso is so calm out there, just gives a trustworthy 2 way player who can fill the role.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I don’t think it’s sustainable either but AD and Lebron seem to want him on the court. I’m afraid the Lakers are going to give Rondo the minutes and have AD and JaVale/Dwight cover for his lack of defensive capability.

Caruso/Bradley is the way to go. Caruso is so calm out there, just gives a trustworthy 2 way player who can fill the role.

I can't believe I have to go to the mat for a goofy white boy who fits every stereotype of goofy white boy ballers everywhere: "coach's son," "gritty," "a coach on the floor," "sneakily athletic," blah.

All because people like Rondo and think he's Benjamin Button or something.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I can't believe I have to go to the mat for a goofy white boy who fits every stereotype of goofy white boy ballers everywhere: "coach's son," "gritty," "a coach on the floor," "sneakily athletic," blah.

No doubt. Caruso is best option right now, probably will need another established vet PG before deadline.

Iguodala and vet PG is what’s missing imo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

No doubt. Caruso is best option right now, probably will need another established vet PG before deadline.

Iguodala and vet PG is what’s missing imo.

Iggy can be that vet PG in a pinch.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Iggy can be that vet PG in a pinch.

Yep, just being a little selfish. Can definitely kill the defensive wing and another ball handler missing pieces with Iggy transaction.
Zillethai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Rondo is going to be great this season. Both he and Lebron know how to use AD correctly. Both he and Lebron have similar PG styles (they like to be ball dominant) and both run half court possession offense. Vs say a Lonzo type PG who dishes it off once he crosses hafl court
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Rondo's going to be great at keeping AD happy, but that doesn't make defenders respect his shot, nor does it give him the size or speed to defend.

Caruso was fun to watch last night once he turned aggressive. He had Cacok and Daniels going good, and even pulled Howard into some semblance of a rhythm, while being a pest on defense.

Rondo does have some savvy I'll give him that. However, it seems to me like Rondo's main role is extending AD with the Lakers. Secondary role is coming in when LBJ sits so he can take gaping wide open 3's the defenses will give him every night while AD gets doubled.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! When watching the game I was also wondering why Rondo was getting so many minutes and no Caruso in the first half. But it's only preseason.

Stay tuned on Thursday for the next episode of "What to Do About Rondo?"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: