ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/tomerazarly/status/1442574012056436738?s=21

So in Kawhi’s own words, he says he took the 4 year deal so that he could try and come back this season.

Sounds like if he took 1+1, he wouldn’t have risk it and come back this season.

he sees that window shrinking and shrinking

He took that 4 year deal because he might not be physically able to play next summer.

Yeah, as much as I dislike the Clips and Kawhi I don't wish bad health to anyone but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him have to retire by his mid 30's tbh unless he takes a massive pay cut and just becomes a load managing low minute closer for a contender but that would be a a lot of ego he'd have to let go. It's crazy because he has the type of game that ages beautifully but not sure his body can handle too many more seasons.

I mean, even Kobe was basically done by 34. A wing retiring in his mid-thirties is common even for someone without a degenerative health issue.

Kobe came in at 18 and was playing heavy minutes around age of 20. KL came in older and was brought in much slower than kobe
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
The sad thing about Ballmer and his Clippers is that they are being run out of downtown Los Angeles because they know they can't develop an identity in Staples Center. Why? Because even though they moved there at the same time as Jim Buss did back in the day, six championships for the Lakers to zero for them during that time is a hard narrative to dismiss.

So now they decide to do what? Move to the only city in the country where they will still be in the shadow of the purple 'n gold who've won six championships in Inglewood as well. Clippers are gonna clip.

Talk about badly misreading the situation. The Clippers are moving for financial reasons, with a new arena and the revenue it and surrounding businesses will generate they will be able to spend on the organization. Jeanie Buss and the Lakers would do the same if they had the means.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
joeblow wrote:
The sad thing about Ballmer and his Clippers is that they are being run out of downtown Los Angeles because they know they can't develop an identity in Staples Center. Why? Because even though they moved there at the same time as Jim Buss did back in the day, six championships for the Lakers to zero for them during that time is a hard narrative to dismiss.

So now they decide to do what? Move to the only city in the country where they will still be in the shadow of the purple 'n gold who've won six championships in Inglewood as well. Clippers are gonna clip.

Talk about badly misreading the situation. The Clippers are moving for financial reasons, with a new arena and the revenue it and surrounding businesses will generate they will be able to spend on the organization. Jeanie Buss and the Lakers would do the same if they had the means.

Agreed. Ballmer will make a killing on the new building, regardless of the Clippers' fortunes. A major venue that doesn't require you to go to DTLA, screw around with parking and is minutes from the South Bay/OC/LB/LAX puts major concerts, awards shows, NCAA tourneys, etc., in play. It's a smart business move and - for a guy who is sitting on $100 billion dollars - gives Ballmer another place to park his dough as a hedge against inflation.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Lol, what fan of any team in any sport cares about the business acumen of its owners? Is there a yearly list posted somewhere that commends this kind of stuff? Even the NBA executive of the year award is given to the front office that makes the team better for winning games, not the one with the most impressive profit/loss statements for the franchise.

Like many fans, I mainly care about championships. That was the point being made. If I put more of an emphasis on money-making decisions over on-court accomplishments, I'd have been a Clipper fan during the Donald Sterling days when he made money simply by being in Los Angeles and not spending real $$$ on the roster for the savings it brought him.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

So in Kawhi’s own words, he says he took the 4 year deal so that he could try and come back this season.

He took that 4 year deal because he might not be physically able to play next summer.

Yeah, as much as I dislike the Clips and Kawhi I don't wish bad health to anyone but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him have to retire by his mid 30's tbh unless he takes a massive pay cut and just becomes a load managing low minute closer for a contender but that would be a a lot of ego he'd have to let go. It's crazy because he has the type of game that ages beautifully but not sure his body can handle too many more seasons.

I mean, even Kobe was basically done by 34. A wing retiring in his mid-thirties is common even for someone without a degenerative health issue.

Kobe came in at 18 and was playing heavy minutes around age of 20. KL came in older and was brought in much slower than kobe

Yeah, obviously any player that gets brutal injuries in his mid 30's is usually done. That's what happened to Kobe, he was looking great still before things started really going down hill injuries wise.

Great players that don't fully rely on there athleticism and have a solid mid range/perimeter game will age well.. I meant it as more of a common sense kind of statement then anything else.

You can get all technical and even say the average NBA career is only 4-5 years but I obviously am not talking about the average NBA players/wings here.. I'm talking great players that have games that age well and I have no doubt in my mind both Kobe and Kawhi both have/had the game to make substantial contributions in there mid to even late 40's if not for the extreme injuries.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Lol, what fan of any team in any sport cares about the business acumen of its owners? Is there a yearly list posted somewhere that commends this kind of stuff? Even the NBA executive of the year award is given to the front office that makes the team better for winning games, not the one with the most impressive profit/loss statements for the franchise.

Like many fans, I mainly care about championships. That was the point being made. If I put more of an emphasis on money-making decisions over on-court accomplishments, I'd have been a Clipper fan during the Donald Sterling days when he made money simply by being in Los Angeles and not spending real $$$ on the roster for the savings it brought him.

You said "they are being run out of downtown Los Angeles." Not really. Ballmer is just doing what Sterling should have done a long time ago. But Sterling wasn't going to spend the money.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Must’ve felt some sort of way towards that George fella...

Either way, gotta love it!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah, obviously any player that gets brutal injuries in his mid 30's is usually done. That's what happened to Kobe, he was looking great still before things started really going down hill injuries wise.

Great players that don't fully rely on there athleticism and have a solid mid range/perimeter game will age well.. I meant it as more of a common sense kind of statement then anything else.

You can get all technical and even say the average NBA career is only 4-5 years but I obviously am not talking about the average NBA players/wings here.. I'm talking great players that have games that age well and I have no doubt in my mind both Kobe and Kawhi both have/had the game to make substantial contributions in there mid to even late 40's if not for the extreme injuries.

Even someone like Paul Pierce, who didn’t rely on athleticism, was done as an all-star by 33. Carmelo’s last all star appearance was also at 33.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
hype wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Even someone like Paul Pierce, who didn’t rely on athleticism, was done as an all-star by 33. Carmelo’s last all star appearance was also at 33.

Cool? it's like you're arguing just for the hell of it at this point.. Pierce and Melo were/are still solid though.. By aging well I don't mean they'll still perform like they did in there prime and be an all star every year obviously. In my original post I said Kawhi could age well as a low minute, game managing deadly closer if injuries don't make him retire early not that he'd be the MVP of the league.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Must’ve felt some sort of way towards that George fella...

Either way, gotta love it!

It is sad and petty that I read that quote of "hell no" and instantly forgave Russ for anything in his past. #realtalk
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BMarks: Eric Bledsoe and the LA Clippers agreed to move his June 30 guaranteed date to 4 days after the moratorium.

Bledsoe has $3.9M guaranteed out of his $19.4M salary for 2022-23.

Gives both Bledsoe (scouring FA to see if there’s a bigger bag) and the cLips (could shop his contract to teams needing to shed salary or bringing back as much as 24.4m in a salaried player) more flex heading into the next offseason.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Watching the Clippers just do what they do; stay calm and use their shooters to hit shots. They don't need big named future hall of famers. They don't use injuries as excuses. They just use their shooters to do what shooters do. I hate the Clippers but damn, do I respect them. Lakers could learn a few things from them.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Watching the Clippers just do what they do; stay calm and use their shooters to hit shots. They don't need big named future hall of famers. They don't use injuries as excuses. They just use their shooters to do what shooters do. I hate the Clippers but damn, do I respect them. Lakers could learn a few things from them.

They are a good steady team but at the end of the day they still have not accomplished anything. Nothing to learn from them.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
troy wrote:

They are a good steady team but at the end of the day they still have not accomplished anything. Nothing to learn from them.

They didn't accomplish anything Yet. They are getting better each season and we are going the other way. with WB contract, we are screwed for long time.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
BMarks: Eric Bledsoe and the LA Clippers agreed to move his June 30 guaranteed date to 4 days after the moratorium.

Bledsoe has $3.9M guaranteed out of his $19.4M salary for 2022-23.

Gives both Bledsoe (scouring FA to see if there’s a bigger bag) and the cLips (could shop his contract to teams needing to shed salary or bringing back as much as 24.4m in a salaried player) more flex heading into the next offseason.

who cares. They didn't accomplish anything and rob is a championship GM.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
troy wrote:

They made it to the WCF last year without their best player. Maybe the Lakers could learn to win games without their best player too?

Imagine the Lakers winning games with Lebron sitting on his butt. Then comes playoff time he turns on beastmode and carries the team to #18. Imagine.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Clips haven't even lived up to the OP.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

"The LA Clippers have traded Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Eric Bledsoe, the Clippers announced Monday. The deal saves the Clippers $30 million in luxury tax and creates an $8.3 million traded-player exception that they will have a year to use"

dude just dropped 20 points in 3 quarters.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
troy wrote:

They didn't accomplish anything Yet. They are getting better each season and we are going the other way. with WB contract, we are screwed for long time.

Base on what?... Kawhi can't seem to stay healthy and PG is only getting older... Lakers on the other hand have AD for a while... Not to mention a ton of money clearing in a couple years. We can resign Lebron to a cheaper contract and possibly bring in another young Stud who ever is available at the time.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
"The LA Clippers have traded Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Eric Bledsoe, the Clippers announced Monday. The deal saves the Clippers $30 million in luxury tax and creates an $8.3 million traded-player exception that they will have a year to use"

And his team dropped the game.

I cannot figure out if you and troy are the same poster using 2 different screen names, or if you're actually two different people - and it doesn't matter. What I cannot get is why you pretend to be Lakers fans? This board is fairly tolerant of other teams' fans when they're up front about it and not being concern trolls.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

And his team dropped the game.

I cannot figure out if you and troy are the same poster using 2 different screen names, or if you're actually two different people - and it doesn't matter. What I cannot get is why you pretend to be Lakers fans? This board is fairly tolerant of other teams' fans when they're up front about it and not being concern trolls.

My posting history clearly defines my position regarding the Clippers. They are an excellent franchise full of non-stars that play the game the right way
They have extremely talented shooters, which is what I've always wanted on my Lakers. They play calm and effectively, and they don't rely on excuses, like the Lakers do. And even though the Clippers have not won a ring, it pains me to say they have been the better team versus the Lakers for the past several seasons.

That said, I hate them as a team. I hate Paul George and K. Leonard for not dissing us and being underhanded about it. I hated Beverly for his smack talking, and I hate Balmer for his propaganda campaign to disparage the Lakers. Because of these things, I hate the Clippers. But I do admire the way they play and how they carry themselves.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject:

The Clippers don't have stars? So you're saying that Kawhi and PG are not stars? Those guys were all-stars and Kawhi was argued as the best player in ball the season he joined them.

They've come up short 2 years in a row, and have struggled in the playoffs. They lost to the Nuggets even though they were more talented. They struggled against Dallas last season and again in the 2nd round. They're a good team for sure, but to pretend as if they don't play for the same goals as the Lakers or haven't gone all in, to try and win (look at their draft pick situation) is crazy talk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
troy wrote:

Except how to run an efficient 2021 NBA offense. Lue’s offensive schemes run circles around Vogel’s.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Clippers don't have stars? So you're saying that Kawhi and PG are not stars? Those guys were all-stars and Kawhi was argued as the best player in ball the season he joined them.

They've come up short 2 years in a row, and have struggled in the playoffs. They lost to the Nuggets even though they were more talented. They struggled against Dallas last season and again in the 2nd round. They're a good team for sure, but to pretend as if they don't play for the same goals as the Lakers or haven't gone all in, to try and win (look at their draft pick situation) is crazy talk.

They have their big 2, but the rest of their players are no-namers that play incredibly effectively, much better than our role players. Last season, they came within a couple of missed freethrows by PG to likely heading to the finals...and they did this without their best player. Compare that to us. We lost AD in the first round and we completely faltered.

My point is not to praise the Clippers over the Lakers. My point is that their team is built the way I hoped the Lakers would be constructed; full of shooters who play well under pressure, who don't allow key injuries to teammates to compromise their performance. Last season, as soon as AD went down, most of our role players seemed to give up, instead of playing even harder, like the Clips did.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
troy wrote:

Base on what?... Kawhi can't seem to stay healthy and PG is only getting older... Lakers on the other hand have AD for a while... Not to mention a ton of money clearing in a couple years. We can resign Lebron to a cheaper contract and possibly bring in another young Stud who ever is available at the time.

We can’t sign Lebron to a cheaper contract. Did you learn nothing from Kobe? Those guys put so much effort into getting their bodies ready for a season that they won’t do so for cheaper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 392 of 442
Jump to: