ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

Most people who are from LA knew Sterling was a racist slumlord. I knew it young because my mom told us.

Most adult lifelong clippers fans had to have known as well yet it didn't bother them until the tapes came out. Even then the only reason they acted shocked was because it became a rallying cry. Stern knew but never did anything.

The clippers are a trash franchise where most of the fans are trash and hypocrites.

Ballmer hasn't changed the franchise other than it appears to be no longer run by a racist.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ballmer was quoted as saying "If the other guys don't like it" in terms of the new arena and all that, as if Laker fans are jealous or something.

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.
Hell, 1-0 just in your timeline. 7 years. The Lakers were at their lowest point when Ballmer took over, lost their franchise icon to retirement, rebuild, made a few big mistakes, recovered and won a ring within the 7 years Ballzy has had the team.

And the talent Ballzy has had?

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

All all-stars in their time with the Clippers.

I find it comical he thinks the Lakers are worried about the Clippers. It's good for the Clippers, this new arena and all that. I understand his brand identity goals and all that. Good for them. However Lakers fans for the most part are not threatened by this team just because they got a 2B new arena.

The guy is something. I will leave it at that. 7 years, and no title, Jeannie and Rob win one in 3 years together and yet we are threatened. Ok, dude.

Of course the Lakers are worried about the Clippers, there are Jeanie’s leaked emails to prove it, we don’t need to speculate. It might be about titles for fans but titles don’t pay the bills. I watch for entertainment, that is why I will watch both teams. But for the Buss’ it’s about revenue and the Clippers will fill their new arena. Whether that takes money away from the Lakers remains to be seen but a state of the art arena will bring in new Clipper fans.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

honestly, the ad campaign was a great idea in and of itself... but it was contingent on the clippers basically being the 2004 pistons. grind it out defensive dogs vs the star studded lakers. especially at that time. shaq, kobe, malone, payton, then added all the hollywood fans.

problem is the clippers were the antithesis of that pistons team. they choked the in the second round... THEN came back with the exact same campaign. it's tone deaf.

Scherm wrote:
Two years ago the Clippers (bleep) PR department decided that they needed to try to define their image by implying they were blue collar grinders vs Hollywood glamour boys. Street Lights, Not Spotlights. Street Cred BS.

Then they went out and choked like dogs while the Lakers were the grinders who gutted out the championship. Now Ballmer is still trying to spoonfeed the same (bleep).

“There’s plenty of fans that can be fans of the Clippers and Lakers. But we want to tell you who we are. I think there are many folks in LA who identify with this notion of being the underdog, the person who strides. It’s almost two LA’s. It’s not all showtime and movie business. Our fans are grinders.”

His fans are NOT grinders. They are psychologically warped and most of them have a perverse streak in them that hates the Lakers because everybody else loves them. "We don't like the big bad successful Lakers! We like the underdogs!"

His stars are mentally fragile, requiring load management and kid gloves. Lebron will play until his legs fall off because he thinks he owes it to his fans.

I hope at some point Ballmer gets called out for promoting bad mental health in his little cult following.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ballmer was quoted as saying "If the other guys don't like it" in terms of the new arena and all that, as if Laker fans are jealous or something.

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.
Hell, 1-0 just in your timeline. 7 years. The Lakers were at their lowest point when Ballmer took over, lost their franchise icon to retirement, rebuild, made a few big mistakes, recovered and won a ring within the 7 years Ballzy has had the team.

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

I find it comical he thinks the Lakers are worried about the Clippers. It's good for the Clippers, this new arena and all that. I understand his brand identity goals and all that. Good for them. However Lakers fans for the most part are not threatened by this team just because they got a 2B new arena.

The guy is something. I will leave it at that. 7 years, and no title, Jeannie and Rob win one in 3 years together and yet we are threatened. Ok, dude.

Of course the Lakers are worried about the Clippers, there are Jeanie’s leaked emails to prove it, we don’t need to speculate. It might be about titles for fans but titles don’t pay the bills. I watch for entertainment, that is why I will watch both teams. But for the Buss’ it’s about revenue and the Clippers will fill their new arena. Whether that takes money away from the Lakers remains to be seen but a state of the art arena will bring in new Clipper fans.

clippers in their heyday didn't get better ratings than crappy lakers games when kobe was injured. ballmer blamed it on primeTicket, but the reality is LA doesn't care about them. They may get butts in seats initially, assuming they have a good team, but like everything else clipper it will be short lived.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers fans gonna grab some season tickets for sure
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject:

LA sports is an interesting mix. Primarily, it's a Lakers and Dodgers town. Many fans are casual, its part of the lifeblood in living in LA, where sports is another interesting diversion, in a sprawling metropolis of 7-8 million people. We have sunshine, beaches, nightlife, Hollywood, music, and wonderful places to go in nature not that far away. We love our winners, we have been spoiled with championships in several sports and two inner-city colleges with big sports traditions as well.

Most of the time, I'd say we are pretty indifferent to other teams. We don't begrudge the Angels, Padres, etc. their success. Even when the Angels changed their name to Los Angeles, they haven't really infringed on the Dodgers, and many Dodger fans root for them in the American league. Most of us don't begrudge the Warriors their success, they were big fans of us when their team stunk.

Football is weird because the Rams moved away and came back. The Raiders were here, bounced around, and are now in Las Vegas. The Chargers moved up from San Diego, and now share a stadium with the Rams. Many LA fans root for all three teams to some degree.

The Clippers are a whole different animal; ABA team, the Buffalo Braves, become the Clippers, move to San Diego, move on to Anaheim (which I really wish they had stayed down there). Then they joint tenant with us and the LA Kings, and now they are building their own building close to where we play.

Basically, they are just poachers. They have this inferiority complex, they move into our house and think somehow we are jealous of them. The Clippers went from a franchise with decades of failure, to a pretty good team. They are at least a playoff team now. I can see the arguments about the Lakers being jealous maybe over lost revenue or that their owner is a billionaire, and we are essentially a modest NBA family business by comparison.

The Clippers are like the Starbucks, tons of money lots of recognition, but at the end of the day, they are not the award winning product like the Lakers are. Win yourselves two or more championships, get some NBA and championship MVP's. Become a generational source of goodwill to the LA community, then compare yourselves to the Lakers.

And try to do it with a modicum of respect and humility. The Ducks and Kings keep it together, so do the Dodgers and the Angels. The Lakers really don't talk smack about the Clippers, grow up, grow a pair, and become something other than the jealous little brotherl
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-100-million-deal-korean-food-company-bibigo-jersey-sponsor-044029320.html

$20m/yr, up from $12m/yr with WISH
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

I've never lived in Southern California, so the Clippers don't mean much of anything to me. The Clippers are no different from the Suns or the Warriors or the Kings. They're just a divisional opponent. I understand that things look different to those of you who live there. I get it. You probably hear about the Clippers 100x more than I do. If I didn't come to this board, the Clippers would be just another team. From my perspective, the Clippers are just another team with a billionaire owner trying to assemble the right pieces to win a title. Sooner or later, they'll find the winning combination, one way or another. Big deal. But you live in the same fishbowl as the Clippers and their fans, and you have to deal with the media's efforts to create drama. I really do get it.

So from an outsider's perspective, let me say this: Some of you have an unhealthy obsession with the Clippers. I realize that some of you will immediately deny this and will tell me that it's the other way around, that the Clippers are obsessed with the Lakers. These things are not mutually exclusive, and in fact they aren't even inconsistent. Anyway, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with disliking the Clippers. I'm just saying that some of you seem to be taking this to the point that it's a little creepy.

That's all I have to say about that.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-100-million-deal-korean-food-company-bibigo-jersey-sponsor-044029320.html

$20m/yr, up from $12m/yr with WISH

Although it's mostly meaningless since it's just a stupid patch, I'm still glad WISH is gone. Ugly logo and such a strange sponsor to have. I had zero clue what it was before the sponsorship. Even now that I know what it is, I still haven't used it and don't ever intend to.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I've never lived in Southern California, so the Clippers don't mean much of anything to me. The Clippers are no different from the Suns or the Warriors or the Kings. They're just a divisional opponent. I understand that things look different to those of you who live there. I get it. You probably hear about the Clippers 100x more than I do. If I didn't come to this board, the Clippers would be just another team. From my perspective, the Clippers are just another team with a billionaire owner trying to assemble the right pieces to win a title. Sooner or later, they'll find the winning combination, one way or another. Big deal. But you live in the same fishbowl as the Clippers and their fans, and you have to deal with the media's efforts to create drama. I really do get it.

So from an outsider's perspective, let me say this: Some of you have an unhealthy obsession with the Clippers. I realize that some of you will immediately deny this and will tell me that it's the other way around, that the Clippers are obsessed with the Lakers. These things are not mutually exclusive, and in fact they aren't even inconsistent. Anyway, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with disliking the Clippers. I'm just saying that some of you seem to be taking this to the point that it's a little creepy.

I think most of us locals would pay little to no mind to them if they just went about their business without bringing the Lakers into the conversation.

The whole Ballmer era has been about taking jabs at the Lakers instead of focusing solely on the Clippers. Covering up the Lakers banners for their home games. Why? I don't see them covering up the Sparks' banners or the Kings' banners. Marketing campaigns "Streetlights over Spotlights". The way Ballmer and their players always talk about "the other guys". These are just a few examples where they're trying to insert themselves into the conversation at the expense of the Lakers. How can Lakers fans and locals just ignore it when it's literally all they do?

These actions show they're obsessed with the Lakers and are effectively saying "look at me!" to all of Los Angeles. They're the little brother desperately seeking the attention and affection of his parents. Had they been trying to build a brand and identity without bringing the Lakers into it, I believe a lot of Laker fans in general would probably not give 2 (bleep) about the Clippers - but because they haven't, they will have to take all of the ridicule and wear it.

Just look at the Angels. They literally stole the Los Angeles name/city for their team, yet I don't see/hear them getting the amount of ridicule the Clippers do - and they're a very poorly run franchise. They're not pasting billboards throughout Los Angeles denigrating the Dodgers in order to boost their status, they're just minding their business (no matter how poor it is).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

I doubt that the Lakers fear losing market share to the Clippers. Much like the Yankees, the NY Football Giants of the Chicago Cubs, the junior team on town rarely affects your bottom line.

Where there may be envy is the revenue generating arena, which is why I started a thread some months ago about the Lakers needing to build one. Golden State has an incredible fiscal engine with their new building and the Clippers will soon have one, as well. Being a tenant in 22-year old Staples Center - even with the renovations - won't generate nearly the same $$$ for the Lakers as owning a new building will.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

Clippers are to LA as the Chargers are to LA.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Clippers would have been fine if they just didn't market themselves directly against the Lakers. They could have carved out a new market share of LA for themselves.

I live in LA, but frankly, I don't care enough about them and they never bothered me too much.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Clippers would have been fine if they just didn't market themselves directly against the Lakers. They could have carved out a new market share of LA for themselves.

I live in LA, but frankly, I don't care enough about them and they never bothered me too much.

I think this is def. the biggest flaw in there thinking with the stupid PR campaigns they started up a couple years ago. I think once they got Kawhi to choose them over us that entire franchise thought they were just going to take over the NBA and especially LA. It backfired in glorious fashion and they basically were made fun of and laughed at more then ever after falling apart in the Bubble by fans and players across the entire NBA while big brother once again showed them what it really takes and will now require the Clips to cover up yet ANOTHER banner until the new stadium is ready. You see Balmer still has the same mind state while trying to throw more shade at the Lakers in the new Stadium press conference.

All the above just reeks of pettiness and you're not going to get people to root for that trash on top of them not having a single player they can really market as the face since Kawhi hates the limelight while playing in the limelight of the world in Los Angeles .. It's pretty telling when you see players from the Clippers or Lakers get a shout out at Dodgers games.. It's polar opposite reactions, the Clips get boo'd whether it's Pierce, CP3, Kawhi George etc.. while the Lakers routinely get standing ovations.

The whole thing with Lue saying Lakers fans should support the team in there city if they get bounced is just more delusion. If they were respectful or even just completely ignored the Lakers for the most part and were more neutral I bet they'd have a good amount more support overall but at the end of the day when the other team in the same City is also good there's usually going to be at least somewhat of a rivalry (from the fans to media and probably a much less degree the players especially in this example since we've simply dominated the city's success) so fans aren't going to root for the other one just because "they're in the same city".

I enjoy seeing the Clippers fail kind of like I enjoy watching the Celtics fail. For me, it adds another small little wrinkle in something to root for/against outside of the Lakers during an NBA season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi is a great player when healthy, but I think he has learned that pressure in LA is different than pressure in San Antonio or Toronto. Even if the Clippers don’t have a huge fan base, LA is still LA.

The quiet, fun guy now sees how much pressure there is in “his city.”
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Kawhi is a great player when healthy, but I think he has learned that pressure in LA is different than pressure in San Antonio or Toronto. Even if the Clippers don’t have a huge fan base, LA is still LA.

“His city” in his dreams. Popularity wise in LA, he’s behind LeBron, AD, Mookie Betts, and Kershaw at the very least. Possibly also Corey Seager, Justin Turner, Matt Stafford, and even some LA Kings’ players. Kawhi is an afterthought in LA. Delta Variant P even moreso— possibly not even in the top 10 of active LA sports figures.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

“His city” in his dreams. Popularity wise in LA, he’s behind LeBron, AD, Mookie Betts, and Kershaw at the very least. Possibly also Corey Seager, Justin Turner, Matt Stafford, and even some LA Kings’ players. Kawhi is an afterthought in LA. Delta Variant P even moreso— possibly not even in the top 10 of active LA sports figures.

Oh for sure. All I’m saying is Kawhi has never seen this kind of pressure, even if it is the Clippers.

In San Antonio he could do his thing and let Duncan, Parker and Ginobili be his shield. In Toronto, he was just a hired gun while Lowry, Siakam and Van Vleet were his shield.

I bet he’s feeling the pressure, but Kawhi is a unique individual. He might not even give a (bleep)
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

the fact that you are still here over a crappy clippers forum tells everything
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I've lived in SoCal all my life. Became a Laker fan for life in 72. I don't know if there is an unhealthy obsession with the other team (my name for them) on this board because I never pay any attention to them, but what you posted about the other points is pretty much true.

So, I guess that's all you should say about it.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

the fact that you are still here over a crappy clippers forum tells everything

Good point. I guess there is no fun in it for him being a troll among trolls.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I think this is def. the biggest flaw in there thinking with the stupid PR campaigns they started up a couple years ago. I think once they got Kawhi to choose them over us that entire franchise thought they were just going to take over the NBA and especially LA. It backfired in glorious fashion and they basically were made fun of and laughed at more then ever after falling apart in the Bubble by fans and players across the entire NBA while big brother once again showed them what it really takes and will now require the Clips to cover up yet ANOTHER banner until the new stadium is ready. You see Balmer still has the same mind state while trying to throw more shade at the Lakers in the new Stadium press conference.

All the above just reeks of pettiness and you're not going to get people to root for that trash on top of them not having a single player they can really market as the face since Kawhi hates the limelight while playing in the limelight of the world in Los Angeles .. It's pretty telling when you see players from the Clippers or Lakers get a shout out at Dodgers games.. It's polar opposite reactions, the Clips get boo'd whether it's Pierce, CP3, Kawhi George etc.. while the Lakers routinely get standing ovations.

The whole thing with Lue saying Lakers fans should support the team in there city if they get bounced is just more delusion. If they were respectful or even just completely ignored the Lakers for the most part and were more neutral I bet they'd have a good amount more support overall but at the end of the day when the other team in the same City is also good there's usually going to be at least somewhat of a rivalry (from the fans to media and probably a much less degree the players especially in this example since we've simply dominated the city's success) so fans aren't going to root for the other one just because "they're in the same city".

I enjoy seeing the Clippers fail kind of like I enjoy watching the Celtics fail. For me, it adds another small little wrinkle in something to root for/against outside of the Lakers during an NBA season.

Lol just ask an Inter Milan fan to root for AC Milan, a Man City fan to root for Man U, a Chelsea fan root for Aresnal and see their reaction.

My bad all those teams have won something
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dude, LMAO.

17-0.

Kawhi
PG
CP3
DeAndre
Blake

I doubt that the Lakers fear losing market share to the Clippers. Much like the Yankees, the NY Football Giants of the Chicago Cubs, the junior team on town rarely affects your bottom line.

Where there may be envy is the revenue generating arena, which is why I started a thread some months ago about the Lakers needing to build one. Golden State has an incredible fiscal engine with their new building and the Clippers will soon have one, as well. Being a tenant in 22-year old Staples Center - even with the renovations - won't generate nearly the same $$$ for the Lakers as owning a new building will.

As I posted, Jeanie’s leaked emails show us how obsessed she has been with Ballmer and their pursuit to build their own arena. We don’t have to speculate on that. And you have been spot on about the advantages of having your own arena. As was done in Brooklyn, surround it with restaurants, hotels and other entertainment venues and you can practically print money. Ballmer might have “had” to buy the Forum to build his arena but that transaction will add to his revenue stream.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
<snip>

As I posted, Jeanie’s leaked emails show us how obsessed she has been with Ballmer and their pursuit to build their own arena. We don’t have to speculate on that. And you have been spot on about the advantages of having your own arena. As was done in Brooklyn, surround it with restaurants, hotels and other entertainment venues and you can practically print money. Ballmer might have “had” to buy the Forum to build his arena but that transaction will add to his revenue stream.

I don't think the obsession with the new arena is unreasonable or unhealthy. It would be a breach of responsibility for Jeanie not to investigate new revenue streams, etc., and the feasibility of the Lakers taking advantage of them. Given that she managed the Forum and knows that world, I can only surmise that the Lakers haven't pursued building their own arena because:

1) The (former) partnership with AEG may have prohibited it,
2) she may have been unwilling (or unable) to borrow against the team to self-finance (the trust documents may prohibit mortgaging the team),
3) Their new lease with Staples has some ridiculously lucrative terms that aren't currently apparent.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject:

The only "obsession" we've seen is the Clippers at the end of last season, obsessing over facing the Lakers in the first round and hence throwing a couple games just to avoid the Lakers...

Don't need no "leaked emails" to "prove" that the other guys (players) are $hit scared of facing the Lakers,
johnnyhandsome
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Most people who are from LA knew Sterling was a racist slumlord. I knew it young because my mom told us.

Most adult lifelong clippers fans had to have known as well yet it didn't bother them until the tapes came out. Even then the only reason they acted shocked was because it became a rallying cry. Stern knew but never did anything.

The clippers are a trash franchise where most of the fans are trash and hypocrites.

Ballmer hasn't changed the franchise other than it appears to be no longer run by a racist.

All fine and good because Sterling was a skid mark in the proverbial underwear of the NBA. With that said, that racist was responsible for loaning Jerry Buss the money to buy the Lakers. If not for Sterling, well, things would obviously look different. How do you feel about a racist being responsible for Jerry to buy and mold the Lakers in his vision? Your first sentence says your mom told you everyone knew he was racist. Could Jerry have known that and if he did, would that put him in the same category as the Clippers and LA fans who happen to like them...Trash and hypocrites? Careful how you reply because most fans were not friends of a racist. They just like the team for various reasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 390 of 439
Jump to: