ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 447, 448, 449  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

This thread is so depressing, a bunch of pessimistic people with losing personality. Not a single game played and we have no chance. Why watch the game just give the trophy to the paper clips since they clearly knows how to win. They have not won a single championship. Juggernaut teams like the 2016 Warriors how can u stop that awesome team. I hope I don’t sit next to any of u guys in a bar, cause I hate to hear ur no hope attitude during a game. Go Lakers for Kobe n Gigi, like the 88 Dodgers was historic beating the mighty A’s, make history perfect ending to Kobe’s life story.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I imagine in the playoffs, Clips will do something like this:

1. start with Bev to just annoy/injure LBJ.
2. move to Morris to try to be physical with LBJ.
3. then put PG13 on him.
4. in crunch time, put Kawhi.

That is going to be one hell of a taxing run for LBJ to orchestrate the offense, dribble up against full court pressure from Bev AND be expected to guard one of PG13/Kawhi.

And we have decent midget defenders who cant guard Kawhi or PG. man we have no chance vs them.

If by no chance you mean around 50/50 then yes
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
This thread is so depressing, a bunch of pessimistic people with losing personality. Not a single game played and we have no chance. Why watch the game just give the trophy to the paper clips since they clearly knows how to win. They have not won a single championship. Juggernaut teams like the 2016 Warriors how can u stop that awesome team. I hope I don’t sit next to any of u guys in a bar, cause I hate to hear ur no hope attitude during a game. Go Lakers for Kobe n Gigi, like the 88 Dodgers was historic beating the mighty A’s, make history perfect ending to Kobe’s life story.

The issue imo is it’s pretty clear their FO is killing ours. This is not going to stop either. Ballmer is not going to rest, he wants to win over LA and the Lakers are sitting there like the fat and happy kid with 16 rings saying “we are the Lakers.”

I would be more confident if we had a better, more robust FO. This has been going on ever since West went to the Clippers. They have made the Lakers FO look like amateurs and it doesn’t look like it will end anytime soon.

Maybe we get some miraculous Kobe magic/destiny win, but it’s clear there is a major gap (of great concern imo) between the 2 respective organizations basketball ops.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Clippers are pretty deep, but even after signing Jackson I have a very strong belief that the Lakers will find a way to win anyway. Their defense and the strong game planning of the coaching staff will be the X-factor here.

I'd be even more confident if they can figure out how to unlock Kuz during this stretch run to close the season. If he gets back to the best version of himself, which is actually playing with confidence, they're going to win.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I imagine in the playoffs, Clips will do something like this:

1. start with Bev to just annoy/injure LBJ.
2. move to Morris to try to be physical with LBJ.
3. then put PG13 on him.
4. in crunch time, put Kawhi.

That is going to be one hell of a taxing run for LBJ to orchestrate the offense, dribble up against full court pressure from Bev AND be expected to guard one of PG13/Kawhi.

If Bev is on LBJ, I would make AB bring the ball up and post LBJ down the block. Morris can't guard LBJ. It will boil down to PG and Kawhi guarding LBJ. AD, Dwight and Mcgee needs to be big for us, cause they really don't have anyone long enough to stop them. Its a chess game, they have the wings we have the the length, we need to play to see who will win and who's style will prevail. The last game we play them, we had a horrible start of the 2nd half and its a close contested ball game. Nothing tells me we can't win against them. Signing of Morris and Jackson does not scare me, I actually like Harkless more because of his Def and glad he is gone cause it would have been (Kawhi, PG & Harkless on LBJ).

Their game will be to get the ball out of LBJ's hand and precisely have guys like Avery Bradley, Danny Green, Rondo, Caruso beat you. It's not whether they can individually shut LBJ down (very few can, maybe Giannis/Kawhi), but how much energy they can make him expend.

In LBJ's previous teams that meant Kyrie or Wade could expose that, or he had kick out to shooters like Love/Allen/JR Smith. We don't have that kind of personnel.

All I am saying is certain match-up can be countered. If they are going to have Bev guard LBJ, I will post LBJ up and force the double down low. If its Morris on LBJ, then LBJ can bring it up cause I feel LBJ can beat him up and down the floor. It will still come down to Kawhi & PG in the end for LBJ, but to counter that they need to find a way to shut down our bigs down low. Whoever can execute the game plan better will win IMO.

The point is they have depth and a lot of options to throw at LBJ, with the penultimate matchup being KL on a tired LBJ. They can afford to rest KL more during a game too with their wing depth.

Point taken, now flip side who do they have to match up against AD, Mcgee and Dwight wave wise. As long a Vogel is smart and don't do what he did in Houston and counters playing small ball, I see we have a plus in that end.

This. I think a dwight, AD, lbj, and 2 of Bradley /green/caruso/kcp is an issue for the clips typical lineups
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject:

I don’t get how people keep claiming we can beat them by playing big lineup. How exactly is Howard or McGee causing problem to the Clippers? You really want to throw the ball to Howard/McGee and let them do post-ups? If we have Cousins with 100% strength, then I get it but sadly we don’t. Our centres will only minimise LBJ’s offensive efficiency. Kawhi is very skilful at taking mud-range jumpers so defensively our bigs will not limit Kawhi that much. Rebounding might be an advantage but long rebounds from taking 3 points shots limit this advantage.

The only ways to win this matchup are hoping Kuzma becoming a reliable 20 points scorer and AD suddenly willing to bully the smaller players in the paint. None of these is a guarantee so if nothing changes, the odds for us to lose is very big.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject:

So Zubac and Harrell will stop Howard and McGee?, LOL
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:

nah they'll stop themselves
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:

So you want to give the ball to McGee or Howard at the low post and let them initiate the offense?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject:

The opposing team ALWAYS wants to take away your biggest weapons and have you rely on your secondary/tertiary weapons. In that sense when people say "go big, our bigs will decimate them" and point to Howard/McGee, it seems to me we would be doing exactly what the Clips want, they want to diminish AD/Lebron as much as possible.
Meanwhile, we want to neutralize/diminish Kawhi, PG for sure, and then Lou/Trez/? with the second unit. How do we do that?
That's what this debate is about, over and over and over again.

lakersfan8 wrote:
lakerican wrote:

So you want to give the ball to McGee or Howard at the low post and let them initiate the offense?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject:

We don't post Howard neither McGee. We post Davis & Lebron. Let's see if the Clippers doubles either of them and see how many rolls to the basket we have...

... and if they don't double, let's see how many offensive rebounds we get...
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
We don't post Howard neither McGee. We post Davis & Lebron. Let's see if the Clippers doubles either of them and see how many rolls to the basket we have...

1) LA clippers rank 3rd in defensive rebounding so it is not their weakness. We are also 9th in offensive rebounding while they are 3rd.

2) When you post up Davis / Bron you have Morris / Zubac in the paint with Kawhi, PG and Beverly trying to strip the ball, Good luck. ALSO post up is the worst play in basketball numbers wise.

3) What happened to this strategy you are speaking off against the clippers? vs 6"5 PJ Tucker?

Wake up bro
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
lakerican wrote:

1) LA clippers rank 3rd in defensive rebounding so it is not their weakness. We are also 9th in offensive rebounding while they are 3rd.

2) When you post up Davis / Bron you have Morris / Zubac in the paint with Kawhi, PG and Beverly trying to strip the ball, Good luck. ALSO post up is the worst play in basketball numbers wise.

3) What happened to this strategy you are speaking off against the clippers? vs 6"5 PJ Tucker?

Wake up bro

Like I said, we will see. I like our chances. I will just enjoy this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Stop with the insults. We are literally pointing out Xs and Os issues that the team has in a series with them. I do think a team like the Rockets can beat the Clips b/c they have the right kind of personnel to match up with them.

The advantage of the Clips vs. the Lakers (as opposed to Houston v. Lakers) is that they have a bunch of shooters (3 point makers) AND defenders; Houston has a lot of shooters but lack defenders.

We won't beat these teams by just pounding the post. Look at for example Dwight's numbers against the Clips. Pedestrian. 2ppg and 4.5 fouls per game. He is not really the answer to beating them. We will need sustained historic performances from AD/LBJ to beat them, which is possible (look at my sig). Our margin for error is very slim against them. Talk Xs and Os instead of insulting people.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:

Keeping Jav/Howard in the game is a blessing for the Clips.

It compacts the lane, and Dwight is a horrible FT shooter.

The way to beat the Clips is AD at center, LBJ at "PF," an energized Kuz, KCP and Green most likely, not Dwight/Jav.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

It seems like people who are concerned, are analysing the matchup logically whereas people who think the Lakers can win, simply have faith in them.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
This is really weird. Media doesn't see any weaknesses of Clippers. Its like they have peak Warriors roster. Never saw a team that protected this much by media.

Its funny, im guilty of this too, we watch / listen to (fill in the blank) to see if they throw our team any breadcrumbs.

My favorite thus far is the comparison of the clippers (with kl and pg13) to the Jordan / Pippen bulls. I nearly fell out of my chair on that one.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
It seems like people who are concerned, are analysing the matchup logically whereas people who think the Lakers can win, simply have faith in them.

Oh brother. Ive seen plenty of reasoned discussions re lakers will win, you just need to look and theyre not necessarily located in one thread or even on this board.

Clippers are a concern, however- no doubt
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
DLaker wrote:

The issue imo is it’s pretty clear their FO is killing ours. This is not going to stop either. Ballmer is not going to rest, he wants to win over LA and the Lakers are sitting there like the fat and happy kid with 16 rings saying “we are the Lakers.”

I would be more confident if we had a better, more robust FO. This has been going on ever since West went to the Clippers. They have made the Lakers FO look like amateurs and it doesn’t look like it will end anytime soon.

Maybe we get some miraculous Kobe magic/destiny win, but it’s clear there is a major gap (of great concern imo) between the 2 respective organizations basketball ops.

I wouldn't put much info any of this stuff..pessimism is just a natural part of forums. No FO is perfect.

Trust me if you go to the Clippers (or any other forum), there is just as much complaints. You have to look at the things the Clippers have to worry about...

Paul George health is questionable (2-3rd hamstring injury), Kawhi's health hard to tell if will hold up

They just lost to Boston & 76ers

They can't beat teams on the road

Yes they just got Morris and Jackson..but their benefits are hard to tell,,it could take time for them to develop chemistry with the team and it is uncertain if there is enough time in the season to do that.

Lastly it is hard to tell if the FO didn't want to go aggressively after Morris due to what happened with the Howard/Gasol/Kobe situation. Too many stars may not always be the best thing especially if they aren't compliementary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

Clips are just a bad matchup for the Lakers. It tends to bring the Lakers back to primordial basketball (i.e. posting up AD 25+ times in the 1st game). It also doesn't help that Clips treat every game like Game 7 of the Finals against us.

We have looked promising against them, but they've also bolstered their depth with talent, albeit questionable chemistry. I'm just trying to be objective as much as it hurts. We have some Xs and Os and personnel issues against the Clips. I'm just concerned that they will wear LBJ out with multiple defenders (and ending with Kawhi). LBJ will be like Bruce Lee having to fight multiple bosses to get to Kareem.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:

The Clippers will pray that we try to rely on Howard and McGee.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
DLaker wrote:

I wouldn't put much info any of this stuff..pessimism is just a natural part of forums. No FO is perfect.

Trust me if you go to the Clippers (or any other forum), there is just as much complaints. You have to look at the things the Clippers have to worry about...

Paul George health is questionable (2-3rd hamstring injury), Kawhi's health hard to tell if will hold up

They just lost to Boston & 76ers

They can't beat teams on the road

Yes they just got Morris and Jackson..but their benefits are hard to tell,,it could take time for them to develop chemistry with the team and it is uncertain if there is enough time in the season to do that.

Lastly it is hard to tell if the FO didn't want to go aggressively after Morris due to what happened with the Howard/Gasol/Kobe situation. Too many stars may not always be the best thing especially if they aren't compliementary.

All good points. I just see the Clippers front office doing everything they possibly can to win. Are they overly obsessed with beating the Lakers? Yes, but they aren’t the first or last team to operate this way.

We just seem to be standing around and we are ok with our chemistry and relying on Lakers exceptionalism.

We will see what happens, but we have to prove it against the Clippers, Bucks and now Rockets imo. They all have flaws too as you mentioned, it’s just our weaknesses are exactly what these teams are built to exploit. Playoffs are coming so we will find out.

I also think even if we fall short this year, the clippers FO will block us on moves in the summer. This is why I said the discrepancy in basketball ops is the biggest concern. We are basically relying on some impact player to sign with the Lakers just by strictly being Klutch or close with AD/LBJ.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
KCP
Green
LeBron
Davis
Dwight

Bradley
Caruso
Kuzma
Mcgee

If you are gonna go big, go big. One of Davis or Bron always in the game.

Co-sign.

Bradley doesn't need to start vs the Clippers. Save him for Shamet, Jackson, or Lou. We did well with KCP as a starter.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

3 great things:

1. We still have months to see how the teams are looking towards playoffs time.
2. There's as good a chance the Lakers don't even clash w/ the Clippers in the playoffs. What a shame that would be right guys?
3. That's why we play the game. Cliche.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Stop with the insults. We are literally pointing out Xs and Os issues that the team has in a series with them. I do think a team like the Rockets can beat the Clips b/c they have the right kind of personnel to match up with them.

The advantage of the Clips vs. the Lakers (as opposed to Houston v. Lakers) is that they have a bunch of shooters (3 point makers) AND defenders; Houston has a lot of shooters but lack defenders.

We won't beat these teams by just pounding the post. Look at for example Dwight's numbers against the Clips. Pedestrian. 2ppg and 4.5 fouls per game. He is not really the answer to beating them. We will need sustained historic performances from AD/LBJ to beat them, which is possible (look at my sig). Our margin for error is very slim against them. Talk Xs and Os instead of insulting people.

This quote was directed at the fans that think we have no shot against the mighty clips which I feel is stupid. Do we really have enough sample size to say they are way better. First game does not count imo, new team just trying to gel, second game could have gone either way, bad game for AD and bad shooting night for LBJ. Until I see 4 L there should no way true fans should have a defeatist attitude.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Page 167 of 449
Jump to: