ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 441, 442, 443  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

gonna need Dwight (and Dudz) to do all they can to disrupt those plans.. without fouling out.

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I imagine in the playoffs, Clips will do something like this:

1. start with Bev to just annoy/injure LBJ.
2. move to Morris to try to be physical with LBJ.
3. then put PG13 on him.
4. in crunch time, put Kawhi.

That is going to be one hell of a taxing run for LBJ to orchestrate the offense, dribble up against full court pressure from Bev AND be expected to guard one of PG13/Kawhi.

This will be their game plan for sure. Good luck to 35 year old Lebron with no other playmaker to help.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
gonna need Dwight (and Dudz) to do all they can to disrupt those plans.. without fouling out.

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

That is going to be one hell of a taxing run for LBJ to orchestrate the offense, dribble up against full court pressure from Bev AND be expected to guard one of PG13/Kawhi.

This will be their game plan for sure. Good luck to 35 year old Lebron with no other playmaker to help.

How exactly will they help with playmaking? You mean rough up these other guys or something?
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

If Bev is on LBJ, I would make AB bring the ball up and post LBJ down the block. Morris can't guard LBJ. It will boil down to PG and Kawhi guarding LBJ. AD, Dwight and Mcgee needs to be big for us, cause they really don't have anyone long enough to stop them. Its a chess game, they have the wings we have the the length, we need to play to see who will win and who's style will prevail. The last game we play them, we had a horrible start of the 2nd half and its a close contested ball game. Nothing tells me we can't win against them. Signing of Morris and Jackson does not scare me, I actually like Harkless more because of his Def and glad he is gone cause it would have been (Kawhi, PG & Harkless on LBJ).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

If Bev is on LBJ, I would make AB bring the ball up and post LBJ down the block. Morris can't guard LBJ. It will boil down to PG and Kawhi guarding LBJ. AD, Dwight and Mcgee needs to be big for us, cause they really don't have anyone long enough to stop them. Its a chess game, they have the wings we have the the length, we need to play to see who will win and who's style will prevail. The last game we play them, we had a horrible start of the 2nd half and its a close contested ball game. Nothing tells me we can't win against them. Signing of Morris and Jackson does not scare me, I actually like Harkless more because of his Def and glad he is gone cause it would have been (Kawhi, PG & Harkless on LBJ).

Their game will be to get the ball out of LBJ's hand and precisely have guys like Avery Bradley, Danny Green, Rondo, Caruso beat you. It's not whether they can individually shut LBJ down (very few can, maybe Giannis/Kawhi), but how much energy they can make him expend.

In LBJ's previous teams that meant Kyrie or Wade could expose that, or he had kick out to shooters like Love/Allen/JR Smith. We don't have that kind of personnel.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

Their game will be to get the ball out of LBJ's hand and precisely have guys like Avery Bradley, Danny Green, Rondo, Caruso beat you. It's not whether they can individually shut LBJ down (very few can, maybe Giannis/Kawhi), but how much energy they can make him expend.

In LBJ's previous teams that meant Kyrie or Wade could expose that, or he had kick out to shooters like Love/Allen/JR Smith. We don't have that kind of personnel.

All I am saying is certain match-up can be countered. If they are going to have Bev guard LBJ, I will post LBJ up and force the double down low. If its Morris on LBJ, then LBJ can bring it up cause I feel LBJ can beat him up and down the floor. It will still come down to Kawhi & PG in the end for LBJ, but to counter that they need to find a way to shut down our bigs down low. Whoever can execute the game plan better will win IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

All I am saying is certain match-up can be countered. If they are going to have Bev guard LBJ, I will post LBJ up and force the double down low. If its Morris on LBJ, then LBJ can bring it up cause I feel LBJ can beat him up and down the floor. It will still come down to Kawhi & PG in the end for LBJ, but to counter that they need to find a way to shut down our bigs down low. Whoever can execute the game plan better will win IMO.

The point is they have depth and a lot of options to throw at LBJ, with the penultimate matchup being KL on a tired LBJ. They can afford to rest KL more during a game too with their wing depth.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

The point is they have depth and a lot of options to throw at LBJ, with the penultimate matchup being KL on a tired LBJ. They can afford to rest KL more during a game too with their wing depth.

Point taken, now flip side who do they have to match up against AD, Mcgee and Dwight wave wise. As long a Vogel is smart and don't do what he did in Houston and counters playing small ball, I see we have a plus in that end.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Point taken, now flip side who do they have to match up against AD, Mcgee and Dwight wave wise. As long a Vogel is smart and don't do what he did in Houston and counters playing small ball, I see we have a plus in that end.

I think they've shown how they will defend AD. Push him out to 15-16 feet where he has to settle for contested jumpers b/c of our lack of spacing. I don't recall Dwight/JAV really destroying the Clippers.

Against the Clips in 2 games, Dwight is averaging:

15.5mpg, 2.5ppg, 7.5 rpg, and a staggering 4.5 fouls per game.

I HATE pointing these things out but this is why I'm adamantly opposed to the status quo.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

Playing conventional bigs with AD at the four against a team as good as the Clippers is a recipe for disaster. On defense, this allows the Clippers to pack the paint and make it difficult for LeBron to drive or for AD to roll to the hoop. It actually undercuts the Lakers biggest advantage in that the Clippers have nobody to guard AD. With packed paint, it becomes much harder to post AD on mismatches or to use him as the devastating roll man that he is. And LeBron is going to have his hands full against an army of athletic defenders like Kawhi, George, and Morris. By playing a conventional big along with some of the non-shooters on the Lakers roster, the Lakers would be making LeBron have to beat the initial defense and then penetrate against a defense stacked against him with limited spacing.

On offense when a team has the kind of shooting off the dribble that the Clippers do, all they have to do is just has to force a switch onto the big and take advantage by taking pull up threes against the big. Kawhi especially is dangerous at this as he showed time and again against Embiid in last yearโ€™s playoffs. But Lou Williams and Paul George are capable of doing this too. Also any lapse where a slow-footed big gets cross-matched onto a Clipper wing or guard is a win for the Clippers. On the other hand, AD can provide all the rim protection that Dwight or McGee do while also having the ability to switch onto guards and wings when necessary. In short, heโ€™s flat out the best defensive center in the game and itโ€™s a shame not to use him in that capacity.

I think the Lakers have to punish opponents by maximizing their two greatest weapons - Anthony Davis and LeBron James. Pairing them with conventional bigs just limits the spacing for them to operate and takes them out of their best respective positions. The key to beating the Clippers imo is playing AD at the five as much as possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

^ Excellent take. The traditional "we'll pound you inside with our bigs who can't shoot (Dwight/JAV)" argument is so outdated, especially when it hurts our best weapon besides LBJ (AD). Spacing is terrible against the Clips and watch how many times AD is out 15-16 feet with nowhere to go b/c guys like Rondo/Dwight/JAV are out there and the paint is completely collapsed.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I think they've shown how they will defend AD. Push him out to 15-16 feet where he has to settle for contested jumpers b/c of our lack of spacing. I don't recall Dwight/JAV really destroying the Clippers.

I HATE pointing these things out but this is why I'm adamantly opposed to the status quo.

I guess until we beat them, the Lakers will have the 0-2 shadow all the time even though I only count the Dec 25 game as a gauge. Once you see how you are going to be played you need to find a counter which happens in a series. If AD is being push to the 15-16 mark the coaching staff need to find a way for him to be effective, cause without him being dominant we can't win the chip. I still say he have the pieces to win it all adding Harkless will only boost our chances.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I guess until we beat them, the Lakers will have the 0-2 shadow all the time even though I only count the Dec 25 game as a gauge. Once you see how you are going to be played you need to find a counter which happens in a series. If AD is being push to the 15-16 mark the coaching staff need to find a way for him to be effective, cause without him being dominant we can't win the chip. I still say he have the pieces to win it all adding Harkless will only boost our chances.

Three reasons.

1. having a traditional non-stretch center (JAV/Dwight, who both played poorly against the Clips so far this year) means AD will have a big near the rim.

2. having poor shooters around AD. Look at how many freeze shots you see of AD with 2-3 defenders within arm's length of him on helps.

3. getting pushed by physical guys like Trez.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

The Clippers would love the Lakers shooting 2-point shots from the post all game.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

If Vogel instructs Dwight and Javale to be more active weak-side screeners (instead of camping by the 3pt line or in the paint) whenever AD gets the ball, the opposition will have bigs chasing our smaller guys off the screen. At this point, we get our smaller players to draw the big out of the paint and/or post Dwight against whoever gets matched up against him like Pat or Lou. We also potentially get more easy baskets with the opponents all staring at LeBron and AD while other Lakers cut to the rim. Frequent and effective weak-side screening would help mitigate our spacing issues imo.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Even the optimistic takes have so many "ifs" in them. That just highlights the fact that our margin for error against the dips is so small. We have to play near perfect to beat them while they have enough options that they can keep rotating guys all game long. Our players seem to all go cold at the same time. Too many dry spells, especially when lebron is out. Everyone has to play up to their potential to beat them 4 times.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

set strong screens.

yinoma2001 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

How exactly will they help with playmaking? You mean rough up these other guys or something?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
set strong screens.

yinoma2001 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

And then do what? Go to the rim and clog it up?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Against the Clippers only, I think Rondo starts, and AD plays center.

Rondo
KCP
Green
Lebron
AD

Oof.
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Against Clips we need to have our best 3/D guys and AD at center. Clogging up the lane hurts both AD and LBJ.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Against Clips we need to have our best 3/D guys and AD at center. Clogging up the lane hurts both AD and LBJ.

Exactly. Itโ€™s no coincidence that the criminally underused lineup of KCP, Green, Kuzma, LeBron, and AD had a really nice run against the Clippers at the end of the first half on Christmas. I think it could also work with one of the three non-LeBron/AD players substituted with Bradley or Caruso depending on matchups and who is shooting well.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I think against the Clips we should only use Dwight regularly and let McGee collect some DNP's or very low minutes while AD goes 40+ playing a decent amount of center since they don't really have anyone to body him up.

Don't get me wrong the Clips are tough but what's going on here? Now suddenly the Clips have tons of room for error while we have to play a perfect game to beat them? I can't disagree with that more tbh. They do have more depth but the guys they got will have to take minutes away from other impact full guys.

I watched that second game and the first half the Lakers dominated while the second half the Clippers did. That's worrisome to a point since we absolutely need to be closing out much better against them but in no way did I come away from the game thinking they were unbeatable and that's not even underlining the fact Lebron was clearly hurting and was not driving to the basket (Some are making it seem like that was all the Clippers defense causing that which imo it wasn't purely that at all. Def. part of it but not all). I saw two teams that were both contending heavyweights and the game could go either direction especially once the rotations tightened up in the Playoffs.

We have plenty of concerns but the Clippers are far from some perfectly constructed team as well even with there new additions.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

The clippers should be concerned about PG, he didnโ€™t look good this season, and injuries a lot
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject:

KCP
Green
LeBron
Davis
Dwight

Bradley
Caruso
Kuzma
Mcgee

If you are gonna go big, go big. One of Davis or Bron always in the game.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

And we have decent midget defenders who cant guard Kawhi or PG. man we have no chance vs them.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

3. then put PG13 on him.

And we have decent midget defenders who cant guard Kawhi or PG. man we have no chance vs them.

Stop watching then
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 441, 442, 443  Next
Page 166 of 443
Jump to: