ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 447, 448, 449  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Clippers will find a way to implode. It's what they do.

yep

As soon as they traded for Harden, I thought yep we are good to go for the annual clipper implosion

Yeah I was there too when we all found out the Clippers roster would include Westbrook and Hardin.

Flashy stats, no defense, not a factor when they see serious game planning from an opponent and need to be the smarter team on both sides of the floor. Passable regular season. First round flame-out when it matters.

So there IS a gap between the Lakers and the Clippers. They topped the Lakers in how badly they could (bleep) up a roster.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

yep

As soon as they traded for Harden, I thought yep we are good to go for the annual clipper implosion

Yeah I was there too when we all found out the Clippers roster would include Westbrook and Hardin.

Flashy stats, no defense, not a factor when they see serious game planning from an opponent and need to be the smarter team on both sides of the floor. Passable regular season. First round flame-out when it matters.

So there IS a gap between the Lakers and the Clippers. They topped the Lakers in how badly they could (bleep) up a roster.

It's pretty crazy we even have fans here trashing Rob (Very deservingly for a good amount of it) and going all out with the love for Jerry West (This is purely the much older West i'm talking about obviously) who is on record saying he agreed with the trade when called about it over several calls.. This was not just a bad trade it was a historically level AWFUL, likely franchise crippling trade in the near future. OKC ended up with the better and much younger player while the Clips are stuck with a geriatric shell of his former self in Kawhi and PG13 who is about as reliable as DLO to fall apart in the Playoffs at some point annually. PG13 now also has all the leverage as he either forces the Clippers to give him an absolutely insane extension or he leaves with them having zero 1st or 2nd round picks until I believe 2030? .. We're not in amazing shape either but imagine if Rob did that? Sometimes having all the $$$$ in the World doesn't save you from hilariously bad moves.

Those moves they made are what caused them to go after other teams trash like Harden and Westbrook who like myself and most other fans here knew they were done once that roster was constructed. I don't really see any realistic way they are getting out of this anytime soon. If PG13 leaves without even doing a S&T everything just gets significantly worse as well since there is no real way to replace him.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject:

By now it's clear OKC has won the PG13 trade. PG13 is wildly inconsistent in the playoffs, not to mention injury-prone.

On the other hand, OKC got SGA, who is a better player than PG13 and probably more durable. Plus OKC got seven(!) first-round draft picks. Two of those picks have already turned into Jalen Williams and Jaime Jaquez Jr. (although OKC traded the pick that became Jaquez).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject:

The Time for the Clippers to win the title was in the bubble. And even then the Lakers would have beaten them.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The Time for the Clippers to win the title was in the bubble. And even then the Lakers would have beaten them.

Outside of the Russ tenure, they've never actually been better than the Lakers. They've just always appeared better because their supporting cast has been so loaded in regular seasons.

The CP3-Blake Clippers were better than the Lakers year-over-year and still couldn't get out of the second round.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yeah, it’s weird how long ago that was. Their best chance to win in the Kawhi/George era came already, and four years later they’re still trying to win one with the same two stars.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

yep

It's pretty crazy we even have fans here trashing Rob (Very deservingly for a good amount of it) and going all out with the love for Jerry West (This is purely the much older West i'm talking about obviously) who is on record saying he agreed with the trade when called about it over several calls.. This was not just a bad trade it was a historically level AWFUL, likely franchise crippling trade in the near future. OKC ended up with the better and much younger player while the Clips are stuck with a geriatric shell of his former self in Kawhi and PG13 who is about as reliable as DLO to fall apart in the Playoffs at some point annually. PG13 now also has all the leverage as he either forces the Clippers to give him an absolutely insane extension or he leaves with them having zero 1st or 2nd round picks until I believe 2030? .. We're not in amazing shape either but imagine if Rob did that? Sometimes having all the $$$$ in the World doesn't save you from hilariously bad moves.

Those moves they made are what caused them to go after other teams trash like Harden and Westbrook who like myself and most other fans here knew they were done once that roster was constructed. I don't really see any realistic way they are getting out of this anytime soon. If PG13 leaves without even doing a S&T everything just gets significantly worse as well since there is no real way to replace him.

What’s even crazier for them is that they grasped for straws with John Wall as well. They messed it up and good for them based on the snake way it went down.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
hype wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

yep

What’s even crazier for them is that they grasped for straws with John Wall as well. They messed it up and good for them based on the snake way it went down.

They made a bunch of moves people would have wanted the Lakers to make if they'd went the same "max kills depth" moves.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Clippers were 2-2 in the regular season against that championship winning Laker team so it would have been a toss-up.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:53 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Clippers were 2-2 in the regular season against that championship winning Laker team so it would have been a toss-up.

Bubble AD was a 7ft Kobe and dude was raining threes, no team was beating us
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Again, Clippers beat us twice in the regular season that year. Makes me wonder how underachieving this season has been with AD just as dominating as bubble AD.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Again, Clippers beat us twice in the regular season that year. Makes me wonder how underachieving this season has been with AD just as dominating as bubble AD.

Nah, that clip team got going early in the season, we got going later and clearly the dominant team in the bubble, that clips team wasn’t beating us
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Regular season. The Suns beat on the T'Wolves during the season and got swept by them in the Playoffs.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Regular season. The Suns beat on the T'Wolves during the season and got swept by them in the Playoffs.

Regular season. Denver swept the Lakers and 4-1 them in the playoffs.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Regular season. Denver swept the Lakers and 4-1 them in the playoffs.

All that means is that regular season matchups don't equal what happens in the Playoffs. We destroyed the Mavericks right before they swept us in the Playoffs as well.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject:

Clippers are in a mess now, they can possibly lose PG13 this summer. but with that said, their owner is willing to say F this, we starting over, and he has the $$$ and willingness to do so by reconstruct the franchise from top down. can and will Jeannie Buss do the same? no way, she will milk LeBron's name until he's 50, because that's the only thing she knows and can afford.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Clippers are in a mess now, they can possibly lose PG13 this summer. but with that said, their owner is willing to say F this, we starting over, and he has the $$$ and willingness to do so by reconstruct the franchise from top down. can and will Jeannie Buss do the same? no way, she will milk LeBron's name until he's 50, because that's the only thing she knows and can afford.

Yeah, he's really shown his dominance with $$$$ so far.. The Clippers are in awful shape and he already sold away all of his assets for the next half decade + with nothing to show for it. He can "start over and reconstruct the Franchise from the top down" 20 times but if they have no young talent or assets what's that going to really even do? Maybe they can get some more amazing deals on NBA outcasts with talent and fall apart over and over?

Kind of weird you're batting so hard for them with zero evidence they'll ever truly turn it around and trying to make the Lakers look so bad on a....... Lakers message board but go for it I guess?

You're making fun of the Lakers for paying Bron who is still at least an elite player in the League while the Clippers are paying Kawhi crazy money to hardly even play at all, especially in the Playoffs (He's played in about 1/3 of the Playoff games the last few years and that's with purposely skipping a ton of the regular Season games only to still just miss most of the games in the Post Season anyways ). The only facts so far are Ol' poor raggedy asf Jeannie still has 1 Championship to 0 against Mr. Moneybags. Looking at the Lakers trophies is about the closest he's going to get for a longggg time and maybe ever. At least he'll have a new Stadium to continue to fail in soon I guess?
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject:

If the Clippers lose George they are in a ton of trouble. They won’t have cap space to replace him with Tucker opting in.. they don’t have control of a lot of their draft picks for the next 5 seasons.. and they’re locked in to a monster contract with a player who doesn’t market your team and has a degenerative knee condition.

It’s bizarre they haven’t just given George what he wants at this point. He literally has them over a barrel. They have no choice but to pay him.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah, it’s weird how long ago that was. Their best chance to win in the Kawhi/George era came already, and four years later they’re still trying to win one with the same two stars.

Next season will be the last chance to win it all if Pandemic P stays.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Next season will be the last chance to win it all if Pandemic P stays.

And they never get as close or further than the Lakers do.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

If the Clippers had kept Shai and all those draft picks.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

The plan should have just been to have skipped Kawhi in 2019 and tanked another year or two while developing SGA, then using their cap space on someone else.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

The plan should have just been to have skipped Kawhi in 2019 and tanked another year or two while developing SGA, then using their cap space on someone else.

Hindsight always 2020. Kawhi at the time was still a top 3 player. PG was a top 3 wing. Not many teams would have turned down that opportunity if both were willing to join them.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Shai probably was never going to be the player he is today had he stayed in LA.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

I lurked in the Clippers reddit and they try not to bring up that trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 447, 448, 449  Next
Page 448 of 449
Jump to: