ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 443, 444, 445 ... 447, 448, 449  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Mavs 123, Clippers 93

Mavs lead the series 3-2 heading back to Dallas

As usual, the Clippers are self-destructing at the worst time of year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject:

James Harden is a good fit for the Clippers. Guy will never win a ring in his career.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject:

So what's the story with a Ty Lue coached team getting blown out by 30 at home? It's like the team quit on him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
So what's the story with a Ty Lue coached team getting blown out by 30 at home? It's like the team quit on him.

I've personally never bought that Ty is that great a coach. I think he had great timing, with that Lebron Cavs run. Post-Lebron, he hasn't taken any team really anywhere more than what they were expected to be. Meaning his added value, just isn't elite.

You look at Spo, OTOH. You can see the added value. You can see no matter what team he coaches, whether it's a Lebron team, non-Lebron team. He gets them to play a certain way and adds value.

Ty Lue to me is also a "fit" coach. Similar to Vogel, MDA etc. In some situations, he's great. In others he's meh. Now he's more respected than Vogel/MDA etc because of his stature as a player and that's why ultimately he has that pull and ranking in the league. Overall though, I don't think he's done a great job with the Clippers. Outside of 1 year, they've been meh. Mike Malone was once not considered all that good, he moved from Sacto to Denver and they slowly patiently build a core that fits. Now he looks elite. It's a lot easier to look effective as a coach when you have effective talent. Finch a year ago looked inept. A year later he looks great.

To me there's very few truly great elite level coaches in the NBA. Lue is not one of them, even though many seem to think he is. I personally think he's more in the middle range. A coach who needs the fit and the talent to be effective. In Clipper land, he doesn't have prime Lebron, Kyrie, Love, and depth. Can't cake walk to the Finals every year in a weak East.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ducasse wrote:

I've personally never bought that Ty is that great a coach. I think he had great timing, with that Lebron Cavs run. Post-Lebron, he hasn't taken any team really anywhere more than what they were expected to be. Meaning his added value, just isn't elite.

You look at Spo, OTOH. You can see the added value. You can see no matter what team he coaches, whether it's a Lebron team, non-Lebron team. He gets them to play a certain way and adds value.

Ty Lue to me is also a "fit" coach. Similar to Vogel, MDA etc. In some situations, he's great. In others he's meh. Now he's more respected than Vogel/MDA etc because of his stature as a player and that's why ultimately he has that pull and ranking in the league. Overall though, I don't think he's done a great job with the Clippers. Outside of 1 year, they've been meh. Mike Malone was once not considered all that good, he moved from Sacto to Denver and they slowly patiently build a core that fits. Now he looks elite. It's a lot easier to look effective as a coach when you have effective talent. Finch a year ago looked inept. A year later he looks great.

To me there's very few truly great elite level coaches in the NBA. Lue is not one of them, even though many seem to think he is. I personally think he's more in the middle range. A coach who needs the fit and the talent to be effective. In Clipper land, he doesn't have prime Lebron, Kyrie, Love, and depth. Can't cake walk to the Finals every year in a weak East.

Spot on.
+1
(The comment about "fit" coaches is so, so right)
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:

His best players either suck or are injured. Nobody takes Paul George or James Harden seriously in this league. Jumpshooting teams win by 20 one game and lose by 30 the next.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

Ty Lue had to take a couple of months off when he was the Cavs HC - mid season - due to anxiety.

Can you imagine what the stress of being the Lakers HC would have done to him?
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ducasse wrote:

His best players either suck or are injured. Nobody takes Paul George or James Harden seriously in this league. Jumpshooting teams win by 20 one game and lose by 30 the next.

And in some cases, blow a 31 point lead and barely escape with a win.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject:

It’s sort of odd how the Clippers show Kawhi such respect by holding him out of games if there’s any chance of causing further damage to his knee. He has never done anything for their franchise and has in fact actively impeded their success by being injured all the time.

KD won two Finals MVPs on the Warriors and they had him play game 6 of the finals despite his calf injury.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject:

one thing is clear, load management or not, Kawhi will get hurt...
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
It’s sort of odd how the Clippers show Kawhi such respect by holding him out of games if there’s any chance of causing further damage to his knee. He has never done anything for their franchise and has in fact actively impeded their success by being injured all the time.

KD won two Finals MVPs on the Warriors and they had him play game 6 of the finals despite his calf injury.

The respect stuff is all PR. If Kawhi doesn't want to play he's just not going to play. This dude left a game twice without telling anyone.

Kawhi has that franchise by the absolute ballz (pun intended). Could you imagine if we had him instead of LeBron, and kept signing him to extensions? This forum would melt down.

Yet, the Clippers are thought to have a world-class front office. #okay
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Clippers will move in to their new home court next season...

No way they let go of Kawhi/PG/Harden, specially when they have to put butts on the seats.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The respect stuff is all PR. If Kawhi doesn't want to play he's just not going to play. This dude left a game twice without telling anyone.

Kawhi has that franchise by the absolute ballz (pun intended). Could you imagine if we had him instead of LeBron, and kept signing him to extensions? This forum would melt down.

Yet, the Clippers are thought to have a world-class front office. #okay

What do you think would have happened if he had signed with us in 2019 and we had a big three of LeBron, AD, and Kawhi instead of Danny Green, KCP, etc. How many championships?

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I think Ty Lue gets overhyped as a Coach because he won one ring. He's the next equivalent of Doc Rivers.

Frank Vogel you could actually argue is a better Coach, because he didn't just win a Championship in LA, he was the Heats biggest attempted foil in the East, and he had Paul George, Roy Hibbert and Lance Stephenson make the Heat fight for their lives during the Playoffs. That's where you see what a true Coach's value is. Where they can build something and challenge others.

Vogel didn't just get hired cause he was LeBron's boy and have the success of one ring but ultimately not do much anywhere else.

LeBron disrespects a lot of Coaches that have gone on to be better coaches than Lue. Coaches like Mike Brown. But Mike Brown may have even improved as a Coach thanks to his time in Golden State, and is now building things in Sacramento as the team is up and coming and rising.

David Blatt was another heck of a Coach, but he got saddled with LeBron who disrespected him at every turn so he could get his buddy in. I have no doubts in my mind that Blatt would have coached that same team to the 3-1 comeback because of the circumstances surrounding it.

But LeBron was about getting his boy on the staff, and getting rid of Blatt.

KEEP IN MIND the most insane thing that LeBron pulled for his leverage, was that the Cavs were 30-11, on pace for a 60-22 season, and LeBron had them fire Blatt for Lue who took them to a 57-25 season. And that's the season they came back on the Warriors. Blatt's a better coach than Lue will ever be, but because of LeBron he's never gotten another chance in the NBA, and currently doesn't even want one, after the way he was treated. And I don't blame him.

But anyway, Ty Lue got over because he's LeBron's guy and was part of a comeback that had little to do with his Coaching and he has had several talented teams since then all fall short, because he was never that good of a Coach to begin with.

Last edited by MJST on Thu May 02, 2024 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ducasse wrote:

What you're saying makes sense. You need the talent. If you have the talent you need someone competent for the team you have, not necessarily elite, to win a championship. Vogel is someone like that. Mike Malone the same. I agree that Spo might have something extra but that only takes you so far. He hasn't won championships without the best talent and he also lost one that he should have won based on talent, against the Mavs. And the Spurs who were probably equally talented in 2014 took the Heat apart. It wasn't even competitive.

Last edited by ducasse on Thu May 02, 2024 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I think Ty Lue gets overhyped as a Coach because he won one ring. He's the next equivalent of Doc Rivers.

Frank Vogel you could actually argue is a better Coach, because he didn't just win a Championship in LA, he was the Heats biggest attempted foil in the East, and he had Paul George, Roy Hibbert and Lance Stephenson make the Heat fight for their lives during the Playoffs. That's where you see what a true Coach's value is. Where they can build something and challenge others.

Vogel didn't just get hired cause he was LeBron's boy and have the success of one ring but ultimately not do much anywhere else.

LeBron disrespects a lot of Coaches that have gone on to be better coaches than Lue. Coaches like Mike Brown. But Mike Brown may have even improved as a Coach thanks to his time in Golden State, and is now building things in Sacramento as the team is up and coming and rising.

David Blatt was another heck of a Coach, but he got saddled with LeBron who disrespected him at every turn so he could get his buddy in. I have no doubts in my mind that Blatt would have coached that same team to the 3-1 comeback because of the circumstances surrounding it.

KEEP IN MIND the most insane thing that LeBron pulled for his leverage, was that the Cavs were 30-11, on pace for a 60-22 season, and LeBron had them fire Blatt for Lue who took them to a 57-25 season. And that's the season they came back on the Warriors. Blatt's a better coach than Lue will ever be, but because of LeBron he's never gotten another chance in the NBA, and currently doesn't even want one, after the way he was treated. And I don't blame him.

What prior relationship did LeBron and Lue have that made them friends?

Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to Shams report on Flippers once they're eliminated like Lakers/Suns with their head coach problems.

Wonder if we'll see "Kawhi wanted to play in the series but Clippers forbid him not to." turmoil problems within. lol

https://twitter.com/RussFcb/status/1786108603666940413
^Wtf is Russ doing lol.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
Lue continued, saying, "[James] has a lot of responsibility for my career as far as, first it was Doc [Rivers] who believed in me first and said I could coach when I didn't think I would be a coach. And then LeBron, being able to coach him and being able to teach me on the fly being a young coach at 38 years old, and just having the trust and belief in me and just kind of helped me get better and better each year. And winning a championship kind of helped solidify my coaching career right out of the gate. We have a great bond. Even before I got to Cleveland we were really good friends and so that won't change."
https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/ty-lue-reacts-to-lebron-james-comments-about-him

yeah.....
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
Lue continued, saying, "[James] has a lot of responsibility for my career as far as, first it was Doc [Rivers] who believed in me first and said I could coach when I didn't think I would be a coach. And then LeBron, being able to coach him and being able to teach me on the fly being a young coach at 38 years old, and just having the trust and belief in me and just kind of helped me get better and better each year. And winning a championship kind of helped solidify my coaching career right out of the gate. We have a great bond. Even before I got to Cleveland we were really good friends and so that won't change."
https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/ty-lue-reacts-to-lebron-james-comments-about-him

yeah.....

we dont want friends.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:

yeah.....

we dont want friends.

Facts over feelings
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Looking forward to Shams report on Flippers once they're eliminated like Lakers/Suns with their head coach problems.

Wonder if we'll see "Kawhi wanted to play in the series but Clippers forbid him not to." turmoil problems within. lol

https://twitter.com/RussFcb/status/1786108603666940413
^Wtf is Russ doing lol.

Lmao. We will know that is a lie. Kawhi has no interest in playing through pain, especially in the playoffs. Glad we dodged that bullet. Would have been worse than the Nets Big 3
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how a scrub like Lue ever became close friends with LeBron…

1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject:

You guys need to know what REAL WINNING is like....

Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject:

The Clippers haven't gotten to show what they look like in the playoffs since 2020. Kawhi and/or PG been injured at the end of the season every time since then.

I don't care how annoying they were in 2020 or how annoying the long losing steak was, I feel bad for that.

With the way they look like without being healthy, I do feel like they could be contenders when healthy. Taking 2 games from a hot, fully healthy Mavs team is impressive. They looked nice last year in that 5 game series against PHX when neither PG or Kawhi were healthy.

But, that means nothing if it never happens. And at this point, you have to question if it's even possible for Kawhi to be healthy at this point after playing a lot of regular season games.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
The Clippers haven't gotten to show what they look like in the playoffs since 2020. Kawhi and/or PG been injured at the end of the season every time since then.

I don't care how annoying they were in 2020 or how annoying the long losing steak was, I feel bad for that.

With the way they look like without being healthy, I do feel like they could be contenders when healthy. Taking 2 games from a hot, fully healthy Mavs team is impressive. They looked nice last year in that 5 game series against PHX when neither PG or Kawhi were healthy.

But, that means nothing if it never happens. And at this point, you have to question if it's even possible for Kawhi to be healthy at this point after playing a lot of regular season games.

They were healthy in 2020 but quit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 443, 444, 445 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Page 444 of 449
Jump to: