šŸˆOFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIV THREADšŸˆ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Niners fans are gonna be worse than Yankees and Patriots fans if they win #6.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Eli Manning retires.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I think we all knew that was going to happen.

Glad he kept the Pats from 2 more SB wins but it was time. He managed to not have a major injury throughout his career which is very hard to believe for a QB. He's probably the best QB in Giants history.

It will be kind of strange to not have a Manning in the NFL for now at least in a few years their nephew may be in the league he's a star QB in HS.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/21/j-j-watt-to-host-saturday-night-live/

Quote:
J.J. Watt to host Saturday Night Live

Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt would prefer to spend February 1 in Miami, getting ready to play in the Super Bowl the next day. But heā€™s got a pretty good secondary option in New York that night.

Watt will host Saturday Night Live on February 1, the show announced today.

Past SNL hosts from the NFL include Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, John Madden, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, Deion Sanders, O.J. Simpson and Fran Tarkenton. Memorable sketches include Peyton Manning as a United Way volunteer who took a game of youth football way too seriously, and Montana as Sincere Guy Stu, Phil Hartmanā€™s painfully honest roommate.

Watt has often spent the night before the Super Bowl receiving an award at the NFL Honors event, but this year, after he missed half the season with an injury, he is not likely to win an award and will instead be showing off his comedy chops.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

Who did more for their team: Eli Manning or Derek Jeter?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Is this a trick question?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject:

More Antonio Brown news.

Antonio Brown turns himself in to police two days after incident
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
More Antonio Brown news.

Antonio Brown turns himself in to police two days after incident

It's sad to see a Hall of Fame talent seemingly going into a downward spiral like this. I hope he can somehow get himself back on track, but I'm not optimistic.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Actually, no. In general, a QB does more for his team than any single baseball player. Furthermore, there is a serious argument that Derek Jeter is one of the more overrated players in recent history. It's not an argument that interests me enough to dive into it, but I can see how someone could make a pretty good case for Eli.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Eli took 2 wild card teams to the Superbowl and beat the greatest team of all time. He was MVP of both Superbowls too, playing great on both playoff runs and making some amazing passes, including the most iconic and best passes ever in the Superbowl (Tyree and Manningham catches, respectively).

Jeter was great but he was also surrounded by greats. He only won 1 of 5 WS MVP's. His team was always the favorite and while he was good he never elevated his team the way Eli did.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

Eli's had a great unexpected and happily surprising career but I'm not a Giants fan and never really cared much about his downs amongst his ups or paid attention that much to the team. I liked his storyline.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm conflicted as to whether or not Eli should be put in the Hall Of Fame. If records are the template I'd say no. From what I know about his QB ratings he doesn't qualify for induction. His two Super Bowl wins are great accomplishments but in my mind not enough to warrant induction. Having said that I hope he gets into the HOF.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm conflicted as to whether or not Eli should be put in the Hall Of Fame. If records are the template I'd say no. From what I know about his QB ratings he doesn't qualify for induction. His two Super Bowl wins are great accomplishments but in my mind not enough to warrant induction. Having said that I hope he gets into the HOF.

If Joe Namath and Troy Aikman can make it to the Hall of Fame, so can Eli Manning.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Derek Jeter is overrated by some, in the sense that he's not in the GOAT discussion or anything like that, sure. However, there is no question whatsoever that he was going to be a clear first-ballot Hall Of Famer, like, no doubt at all, even if you completely eliminated his postseason resume. The dude is sixth all-time in hits. Eliminate Eli's postseason resume, and there isn't even a discussion. His 2 fantastic postseason runs consist of 8 games. That's how small of a sample size that we are talking about here. And look, I get it, the postseason is huge in determining legacies in football. It's why Eli is going to get in and it's kind of pointless to argue otherwise. But I find this argument to be strange. Eli Manning's regular season career is that of a slightly above-average quarterback, all told. He may have had two or three seasons where he approached being a top-5 QB in the league.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

The Patriots scored 14 points and 17 points in the Super Bowls against the Giants. If I knew before each game that the Patriots would score such a low number of points, I would expect Eli to win those games. And I would expect a lot of other QBs in the league to win those games too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The Patriots scored 14 points and 17 points in the Super Bowls against the Giants. If I knew before each game that the Patriots would score such a low number of points, I would expect Eli to win those games. And I would expect a lot of other QBs in the league to win those games too.

Also, Justin Tuck should have been the MVP of that first Super Bowl. He wrecked that game for what was practically an unstoppable New England offense at the time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Wow the NFL is going to look so different next season....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/27/report-chargers-have-moved-on-from-philip-rivers/

Quote:
Report: Chargers have ā€œmoved onā€ from Philip Rivers

Philip Rivers has moved back to the East Coast, and it appears itā€™s for good reason.

According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports during an appearance on The Herd, the Chargers have ā€œmoved onā€ from the 38-year-old quarterback.

Rivers had already moved his sizable family back to Florida, which has sparked all manners of dot-connecting which put him on teams not the Chargers. The Buccaneers seem uniquely poised to use him as either a quarterback or leverage in ongoing negotiations with Jameis Winston.

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco had previously talked about all the ā€œmoving partsā€ involved with the veteran free agent.

The Chargers pick sixth in the 2020 NFL Draft, behind the notably needy Bengals (first) and Dolphins (fifth), so there will be competition if they choose to go the route of a rookie. But with a deep class of veteran quarterbacks available this year including Tom Brady, they can choose from a number of options as they try to establish themselves in an actual-sized stadium in Los Angeles.
OrganizedChaos
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/27/report-chargers-have-moved-on-from-philip-rivers/

Quote:

Philip Rivers has moved back to the East Coast, and it appears itā€™s for good reason.

According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports during an appearance on The Herd, the Chargers have ā€œmoved onā€ from the 38-year-old quarterback.

Rivers had already moved his sizable family back to Florida, which has sparked all manners of dot-connecting which put him on teams not the Chargers. The Buccaneers seem uniquely poised to use him as either a quarterback or leverage in ongoing negotiations with Jameis Winston.

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco had previously talked about all the ā€œmoving partsā€ involved with the veteran free agent.

The Chargers pick sixth in the 2020 NFL Draft, behind the notably needy Bengals (first) and Dolphins (fifth), so there will be competition if they choose to go the route of a rookie. But with a deep class of veteran quarterbacks available this year including Tom Brady, they can choose from a number of options as they try to establish themselves in an actual-sized stadium in Los Angeles.

I heard that the Chargers still are unsure what to do with Rivers late last night but many of the big news outlets are running with this story this morning. Welp where there is smoke thereā€™s fire so I think the Chargers will definitely be drafting a successor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

Or signing one. I expect a hot market for Bridgewater, the Saints are going with Hill as Breesā€™ successor. I think that Teddy showed he is ready to lead a team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Or signing one. I expect a hot market for Bridgewater, the Saints are going with Hill as Breesā€™ successor. I think that Teddy showed he is ready to lead a team.

I would go with Hill over Teddy also, as he brings a much-higher ceiling to an offense, I think. Kind of similar to how the 49ers once went with Kaepernick over Alex Smith. Smith could manage them to wins, as Teddy did, but it's really hard to get through the playoffs like that IMO. The only time QB's like that have won the Super Bowl is when their team had a historically great defense. Like the final year of Peyton Manning and the Broncos, or Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. You think about the Giants' two Super Bowl wins with Eli, and he got hot at the right time for two postseason runs. Or even Joe Flacco with the Ravens, playing out of his mind for that Super Bowl run. The game managers of the world like Smith and Jay Fiedler don't seem to win Super Bowls.

This all said, Teddy probably ends up as a starter for some team next year. Could that team be the Chargers? I suppose it's possible, though I wonder if they don't just go with Tyrod Taylor if they can't lure Brady there, or unless they draft Tua and he wins the job in camp. Maybe I'm overrating Taylor's chances as a starter, though, but I just know that he and Anthony Lynn have that obvious history together.

Also heard today that Brees is going to take about a month to decide if he will play next season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

OrganizedChaos wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

I heard that the Chargers still are unsure what to do with Rivers late last night but many of the big news outlets are running with this story this morning. Welp where there is smoke thereā€™s fire so I think the Chargers will definitely be drafting a successor.

Not a surprise. I do still think the Chargers will bring in a veteran QB, probably not the caliber of Tom Brady but somebody to use those weapons on their team for a year or two.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Weā€™ve had an earthquake during the World Series, will we have one during the Super Bowl?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

If that happens it would involve another team from San Francisco....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Pulling for KC to Matriculate The Ball Down The Field. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 69 of 76
Jump to: