THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject:

Dwight is not just a Joker defender, he also kept Portlands bigs off the glass, and teams when they know they have to deal with Dwight, prefer to play small. When they play small, it is because they can not match up with Dwight...... Ok, then we counter with going with AD at the 5, which ends up being to our advantage. You see our plan A is always to be bigger, more physical and more skilled. But when teams play small because they can not match up, we go with plan B, which is to have AD a the 5. If we let guys like Dwight go, we will be exclusively married to plan B style of playing, which we do not want. We want to keep our huge size advantage and our physical style. When teams pass on matching up, we then counter with AD at the 5.

It is sort of like how the Lakers won titles around Pau-Bynum-Odom, and how the Spurs won titles around TD. This is what you have here, and you do everything in your power to keep the talent we have. In fact, add Cousins into it, instead of McGee. Howard-Davis-Cousins-Morris at the 5/4. Good (bleep) luck, trying to match up with talent like that at the 5-4. Not to mention, we can even get Kuz in there sometimes as a stretch mobile slashing 4. Our 5-4 options are incredibly league wide advantageous towards us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

Between Howard and Baynes, I have difficulty choosing which one suits us better. Hope we can have both.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:

Baynes is more valuable on offense for sure, but I do not know about his defense. Dwight has been all-NBA defender many times, and has elite defensive skills. Baynes has strength and will not get pushed around, but to me he is more like a stronger Morris than Dwight.

I do not see a Dwight replacement out there in terms of his skill level on D, at that price. We did not even really use his offensive game. He has a nice soft left handed hook in the post, and a team that practices some sets where they learn good paths to get the ball inside can get Dwight easy dunks. He seals his man so often, but we do not even try to get him the ball. Easily, I can see Dwight go from non-impact on offense to high impact by us improving our chemistry and timing as a team. If it's the same Dwight physically as last season, we will be getting more offense from him, I'm quite confident of that.

Baynes is a good guy to look at if we lose Morris in FA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see if Dwight goes for the money to pay for his mansion, all his kids, his snakes, etc. instead of staying in the best situation of his career.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Warriors may be in luxury tax hell. Signing Dwight for 5m will be something like a 15-18m luxury tax hit. Not sure they do that at all.

How? I thought they have all this cap space in grade exception stuff like $17mil then their MLE and BAE, almost $25mil total?

Yeah, just Steph, Klay, Dray, and Wiggins alone essentially puts them in luxury tax territory
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if Dwight goes for the money to pay for his mansion, all his kids, his snakes, etc. instead of staying in the best situation of his career.

Why would he not have the right to ask for both, considering he did exactly what he said he would, and he was way more valuable than a vet min player? Both he and Rondo deserve significant pay upgrades. I mean, unlike KCP, who was overpaid for years due to klutch, these guys actually gave LA a huge bargain. And now is when you reward guys like that. Not talking out of this mind, crazy, pay. But giving Dwight 3-5M instead of a vet min, and Rondo 5M instead of a vet min, is not at all unreasonable. Even if they do not once again show their value for that price, you're showing other vet min guys that sign with us, that if you show faith in us as a FA and do what we ask, we reward you. The absolute right thing to do here is bring back Morris, Howard and Rondo on pay raises.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Warriors may be in luxury tax hell. Signing Dwight for 5m will be something like a 15-18m luxury tax hit. Not sure they do that at all.

How? I thought they have all this cap space in grade exception stuff like $17mil then their MLE and BAE, almost $25mil total?

Yeah, just Steph, Klay, Dray, and Wiggins alone essentially puts them in luxury tax territory

And the TPE would be used to acquire a player, not reduce the salary cap.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

I hope he's back and starting next year. He should've been starting all year. (ok, maybe not all year, but once it was clear he bought in, he was obviously better than JaVale). The physicality with him, AD and Lebron is unmatched.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I hope he's back and starting next year. He should've been starting all year. (ok, maybe not all year, but once it was clear he bought in, he was obviously better than JaVale). The physicality with him, AD and Lebron is unmatched.

If we bought him back as a starter, that takes Cousins out of the equation but we might convince Arron Baynes to come off the bench as the 2nd string C, a Howard-Baynes C unit would be pretty damn nice.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1319675301794807808

WTH Shaq? thats hating. Who carried him to those championships? Kobe and Wade, and his coaches were Phil and Riley.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

WTH Shaq? thats hating. Who carried him to those championships? Kobe and Wade, and his coaches were Phil and Riley.

if he is essentially saying the role players are essentially replaceable he needs to say the same (bleep) to Shaw, Horry, Fox and Fisher because all those guys were replacement level players. Not do his fake ass humble (bleep) about how those role players carried him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Shaq has always been petty with other players....this is why I don't believe it when he says he squash his beefs. Don't forget Dwight isn't the only role player on the Lakers whom he had issues with....Javale Mcgee had a very public banter with Shaq years ago, so he could be calling him out as well.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Always liked Shaq but I’m gonna have to call him a hater on this one... It’s like him throwing every role player who helped him win under the bus. Let those guys celebrate. They deserved it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject:

I love Shaq as a Laker great, but he has always been very jealous. He was totally giving Dwight props all season for his play. Once Dwight actually goes out and wins a title, in that same role (actually Dwight even got to start in NBA Finals games) Shaq goes back on what he was saying 8 months ago?

Part of it is that Dwight clinched his HOF entry with that title. Years from now, people will look back at the team and say man they had Dwight on it. Dwight's a HOF guy, a great defensive Center, etc etc

Shaq simply doesn't give any big respect unless they play physical hard inside and score a lot of points. Shaq's mindset is why guys like Dwight did not really understand that their game can be high impact without needing to always touch the ball in the post.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject:

Shaq's the one who just embarrassed himself on social media. Not Dwight. So petty.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Palin wrote:

Always liked Shaq but I’m gonna have to call him a hater on this one... It’s like him throwing every role player who helped him win under the bus. Let those guys celebrate. They deserved it.

I agree. I like Shaq also, but this seems petty.

Dwight Howard was absolutely key to the team all season and certainly has every right and reason to celebrate his first NBA Title.

I honestly am not sure we win it without him, you go D12!
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

Shaq acts like a child. I don't understand why he need to bully Howard that much, because he put a Superman's cape once? Really? Are you 10 Shaq?

Did Shaq say anything about the Lakers' win?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
Shaq acts like a child. I don't understand why he need to bully Howard that much, because he put a Superman's cape once? Really? Are you 10 Shaq?

Did Shaq say anything about the Lakers' win?

Shaq SHOULD be celebrating the fact that he was the main driving force for 3 titles that helped the Lakers finally catch Boston like all the other Laker legends are doing. His legacy is deeply entwined with the Lakers legacy and you want to say some stupid (bleep) about role players????? Kobe was a deeply flawed dude who grew up tremendously from what he was. Shaq was always a great dude who never seemed to grow up.....even now
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

Another vote for Shaq STFU. Petty and mean spirited.

Howard was an important part of our run to the 17th Championship.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:

Dwight was helpful in some series and not so much in others but I think that Lebron and AD were much more needed in the tournament. As for Shaq, he has always known that Dwight was a pretender. Just one who was stupid enough to try to copy Shaw’s schtick.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
Another vote for Shaq STFU. Petty and mean spirited.

He was definitely very helpful in that Nuggets series.

This petty insecurity is what Kobe was talking about with Shaq and part of how they broke up. It's a shame because despite how dominate he was at his peak, he still in the end, slacked off, got fat, and like Dwight, became a journeyman.

I wonder though if Shaq right now is just this unhappy person. Between his sister and Kobe's tragic death, he hasn't been as funny or a joy to watch. Understandable so.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Shaq has always been weak minded. There is nothing new there. Let the man have his moment. He did everything the Lakers asked of him. No wonder Kobe couldn't stand his over grown ass.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
cannga11 wrote:

Dwight was helpful in some series and not so much in others but I think that Lebron and AD were much more needed in the tournament. As for Shaq, he has always known that Dwight was a pretender. Just one who was stupid enough to try to copy Shaw’s schtick.

To say Dwight didn't play an important role in this year's championship shows you are just as disingenuous as Shaq. SMH
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
cannga11 wrote:

No sh*t -- Einstein. Thanks for the shattering insight. How does "important part" lead to comparison to AD and Lebron?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Dwight has no reason not to listen to offers. There's no guarantee we're going to repeat, and I could see him being insulted if we gave the MLE to someone else and asked him to play the minimum just cause we think we have him in the bag.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 126 of 137
Jump to: