THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Howard +8, Gasol -8 after one game. Funny how Gasol is the only one who needs time to "adjust". He'd better adjust or we're kicking him to the curb. I'm going to ignore the fact that the Clippers scored 39 points in the first quarter in which he started in. Maybe he just didn't know his role. If he turned into another McGee, then I don't think we're favored to win it all anymore.

The Kings beat the Nuggets and the Pels beat the Raptors last night. The West is going to be extra wild this year. As the defending champs, we obviously have target on our back so teams are gonna be prepared for us. It's gonna be tough.

The sky is faaaaaaaalling!!!!!!!!
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
Anyone think Lebron and AD were getting tired of his antics, and told management to ixnay the offer? As much as I loved Dwight's defense last season, he did get annoying at times.

I don't get that sense. I think LeBron & AD genuinely loved the guy. If history is an indicator it's just another case of Howard unable to stay true to what's best for him.

I'll gladly eat my words if Philly wins it all.

They did love Dwight on the court. But as much as he seemed squeaky clean cut as possible last season he still wild out off the court before getting engaged to his fiancée (Tea Cooper of the LA Sparks).

Before the pandemic shut down everything you were able to catch Dwight at almost every strip club down Hollywood or Sunset Blvd. Also only guy to show up to that failure of a nightclub the NBA created inside the bubble lol.

Sure it didn’t matter to us the fans because Dwight brought it 1000% come gametime but can’t say with full confidence Lebron and AD didn’t want someone else who shared a more similar mindset on and off the court like themselves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Howard +8, Gasol -8 after one game. Funny how Gasol is the only one who needs time to "adjust". He'd better adjust or we're kicking him to the curb. I'm going to ignore the fact that the Clippers scored 39 points in the first quarter in which he started in. Maybe he just didn't know his role. If he turned into another McGee, then I don't think we're favored to win it all anymore.

The Kings beat the Nuggets and the Pels beat the Raptors last night. The West is going to be extra wild this year. As the defending champs, we obviously have target on our back so teams are gonna be prepared for us. It's gonna be tough.

Dwight is far closer to his athletic prime, than Gasol is. Dwight is also in top shape, and probably did not need the extra time. Then, finally, Dwight is playing a backup role, easier to play against 2nd units. Gasol played against an elite team, starting. Clippers are one of the 5 most talented teams in the league.

I am happy for Dwight. He deserves to be remembered as a great player. He was not good enough to lead a team to a title, but you look at his career, you did not want all that BS drama that came with him to overshadow what was otherwise a stellar career, and on path to be an all time great at his position, until the back injuries slowed him down.

Prime Dwight lead a team past the defending champion Celtics, beat a 66 win LeBron led Cavs team, before running into Kobe and Pau fresh off their embarrassing defeat the previous season. Had the Magic played say the Melo Nuggets instead, I suspect Dwight would be looking at two rings now. Championships are always about teams, match ups and historical contingencies. Fact is he got to the Finals leading a team. He was a force back in the day.

Crazy to think no one wanted him and his only real option was a non guaranteed contract with us.

Not really. The man burned a lot of bridges over the years. His ego and antics along with injury concerns led him to the Laker doorstep humbled and willing to be a good teammate.

I am still amazed he was able and to hold it together last year. I commend the coaches and players for keeping him focused on his role.

I agree with the ticking time bomb comparison. Lakers were able to hot potato him to the next team. I won’t be shocked to see it go off this season in Philly. Inflated ego and childish behavior are just too powerful an influence.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

We should probably send this thread to the GBD graveyard.

But thanks for everything Dwight.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

its LG. everytime a former laker has a great game, his thread gets activity

lol
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

Pull up the Brandon Ingram thread from the grave.
You should find some hilarious receipts.

I must of spent over 2-3 thousand of my posts defending that guy on a daily.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Halflife wrote:
RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Dwight is far closer to his athletic prime, than Gasol is. Dwight is also in top shape, and probably did not need the extra time. Then, finally, Dwight is playing a backup role, easier to play against 2nd units. Gasol played against an elite team, starting. Clippers are one of the 5 most talented teams in the league.

I am happy for Dwight. He deserves to be remembered as a great player. He was not good enough to lead a team to a title, but you look at his career, you did not want all that BS drama that came with him to overshadow what was otherwise a stellar career, and on path to be an all time great at his position, until the back injuries slowed him down.

Prime Dwight lead a team past the defending champion Celtics, beat a 66 win LeBron led Cavs team, before running into Kobe and Pau fresh off their embarrassing defeat the previous season. Had the Magic played say the Melo Nuggets instead, I suspect Dwight would be looking at two rings now. Championships are always about teams, match ups and historical contingencies. Fact is he got to the Finals leading a team. He was a force back in the day.

Crazy to think no one wanted him and his only real option was a non guaranteed contract with us.

Not really. The man burned a lot of bridges over the years. His ego and antics along with injury concerns led him to the Laker doorstep humbled and willing to be a good teammate.

I am still amazed he was able and to hold it together last year. I commend the coaches and players for keeping him focused on his role.

I agree with the ticking time bomb comparison. Lakers were able to hot potato him to the next team. I won’t be shocked to see it go off this season in Philly. Inflated ego and childish behavior are just too powerful an influence.

I'd rather have a ticking time bomb than a dud.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

I liked dh but I equally like McGee. Wish cavs would buy him out
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

Dwight helped us win a ring. I don't think it's unreasonable to question why he's not on this Lakers team currently, especially when he wanted to be here.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

Dwight helped us win a ring. I don't think it's unreasonable to question why he's not on this Lakers team currently, especially when he wanted to be here.

Once you know and understand he made a knee jerk decision you know it’s time to move on
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

i mean, i'd LOVE Rob to explain what the hell happened. i know he wanted dwight too. wasn't there an article about how Rob and company were continually blowing sunshine up dwight's rear the entire short offseason?

means a few things. 1, they know dwight needed praise and attention. 2, they definitely wanted him to return.

so, either Rob decided to go with Trez and pulled the rug out from under D12... or more likely, Rob told him to CHILL OUT. it's a done deal, but he needed a day or so to "make the numbers work" for the entire roster.

the lakers had to make sure they weren't screwing themselves into a corner if they signed Dwight, but then came up a few dollars short under the cap to get trez ... AND MORE IMPORTANTLY getting an idea from rich paul and AD on what they're expecting, contract wise.

all signs point to Rob most likely saying "Dwight, i want you back, but i need to get final numbers from AD's camp before i know exactly how much i can give you".

and D39 couldn't wait. sorry dwight, we're not gonna whiff at signing AD long term because of you dude.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

Once you know and understand he made a knee jerk decision you know it’s time to move on

Or if our FO really valued him, they would have made him an offer minutes after free agency began just like how they did with Moz and Deng. If you really wanted someone (like Moz and Deng), you'd make them an offer asap. I mean it's not like Howard was looking for an 8-figure payday here. It was merely 2.5M. Jeanie spends more than that at the hair salon.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

Or if our FO really valued him, they would have made him an offer minutes after free agency began just like how they did with Moz and Deng. If you really wanted someone (like Moz and Deng), you'd make them an offer asap. I mean it's not like Howard was looking for an 8-figure payday here. It was merely 2.5M. Jeanie spends more than that at the hair salon.

like mozgov and deng

every role player has to wait. nothing wrong in waiting.

if you cant wait couple of hours then its on u

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

Dwight's reaction and immediate signing with the 76ers is precisely why he is a 1st ballot HOFer but someone who will go down as someone who underperformed due to his emotions/antics.

I absolutely wanted him back, but never thought he would be asking for the MLE or multi year deal like some posters feared. He overreacted when the Lakers told him to hold off on the announcement and spite-joined the 76ers for less money.

Or maybe the team was ready to move on from him after going through a year of Dwight. Who knows. Would love him back on court but that ship has sailed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I have no doubt in my mind that there is mutual interest in both Dwight and the Lakers to bring him back at some point, he didn’t leave on a bitter note, he appreciated his time here and he won a championship.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwight's reaction and immediate signing with the 76ers is precisely why he is a 1st ballot HOFer but someone who will go down as someone who underperformed due to his emotions/antics.

I absolutely wanted him back, but never thought he would be asking for the MLE or multi year deal like some posters feared. He overreacted when the Lakers told him to hold off on the announcement and spite-joined the 76ers for less money.

Or maybe the team was ready to move on from him after going through a year of Dwight. Who knows. Would love him back on court but that ship has sailed.

Idk about under performed. He took a trash team to finals. Won dpoy. His back killed him more than attitude. Plus because he liked a transgender woman he was forced into hiding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Idk about under performed. He took a trash team to finals. Won dpoy. His back killed him more than attitude. Plus because he liked a transgender woman he was forced into hiding.

That's why he's a first ballot HOFer to me. Just saying, he had opportunities post Magic that he blew because he is a difficult teammate.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Halflife wrote:
RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

On top of all those things, the league was moving away from the Dwight type of big men to begin with. If last season taught us anything, there's still room for a rim protecting, rebounding sorta big man.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

It's on the Lakers as much as it's on Dwight. If Dwight had confidence Lakers would sign him he wouldn't have reacted that way. If you want a guy you have to clearly communicate that you are going to find a way to make it work. It would have been another bargain contract. He was easily worth more than what the 76ers paid him.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

It's on the Lakers as much as it's on Dwight. If Dwight had confidence Lakers would sign him he wouldn't have reacted that way. If you want a guy you have to clearly communicate that you are going to find a way to make it work. It would have been another bargain contract. He was easily worth more than what the 76ers paid him.

they were calling him 3 times a week or more. what else you want them to do?
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

What was said during those calls matters more than the number of calls made. What they did obviously didn't work. His wife plays for the Sparks. There's no way he wanted to leave LA.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
troy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:

lol

What was said during those calls matters more than the number of calls made. What they did obviously didn't work. His wife plays for the Sparks. There's no way he wanted to leave LA.

why not just agree that Dwight is still a little kid and emotions got the best of me? This guy once took back his trade demand from Orlando magic because the owner/GM got him his favorite food/candy to the meeting
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Dwight couldn't wait longer than an hour. Time to move on.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

This is my first and last post (hopefully) about this subject.

Losing Dwight goes beyond Rob...I would have to think, for some reason, LeBron and AD were more than OK with Dwight Howard leaving the team.

I know AD prefers to play the PF and have another player play the C position... but if either Lebron James or Anthony Davis wanted Dwight Howard on the team, the front office would have accommodated them. We are not talking about a $25 million a year contract, we are talking a few million at most.

I have doubts about Marc Gasol's value to the team versus the cost of him being on the floor against top tier teams. For every great pass Marc makes, his slow movement in making up space defensively is going to hurt us and, most likely, get his teammates in foul trouble trying to stop someone without help.

I seems like Rob, James and Anthony really believe we're improved at the C position with an all around better player like Trez than we are with the shot blocking, rebounding, defensive intimidation of Dwight in the middle.

Yes, this is spilt milk... but lets hope that spilt milk doesn't soak us in the end when the playoffs arrive.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
This is my first and last post (hopefully) about this subject.

Losing Dwight goes beyond Rob...I would have to think, for some reason, LeBron and AD were more than OK with Dwight Howard leaving the team.

I know AD prefers to play the PF and have another player play the C position... but if either Lebron James or Anthony Davis wanted Dwight Howard on the team, the front office would have accommodated them. We are not talking about a $25 million a year contract, we are talking a few million at most.

I have doubts about Marc Gasol's value to the team versus the cost of him being on the floor against top tier teams. For every great pass Marc makes, his slow movement in making up space defensively is going to hurt us and, most likely, get his teammates in foul trouble trying to stop someone without help.

I seems like Rob, James and Anthony really believe we're improved at the C position with an all around better player like Trez than we are with the shot blocking, rebounding, defensive intimidation of Dwight in the middle.

Yes, this is spilt milk... but lets hope that spilt milk doesn't soak us in the end when the playoffs arrive.

If Rob really thinks like that, then he's not a very good GM. Why would he even sign Howard in the first place if he didn't need a defensive presence? Joakim Noah would have been much better than Howard offensively. Did he really sign Howard because he had no other choices and got lucked out? Well, I guess we'll find out a lot more about Rob. One season is not enough sample size. Rob's assessment of talent will be so critical for the Laker's longterm success. This Gasol vs Howard will be the first big test for him. The other is Schroder vs Rondo.

Magic's terrible ability to assess talent put us in a huge hole and we were very fortunate to have gotten the best player FOR FREE and that was what got us out of the hole. I hope we don't fall back into it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 135 of 137
Jump to: