THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
check this out..Dwight won Atlanta's teammate of the year in 2017

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/8/18/16168950/nbpa-players-voice-awards-dwight-howard-atlanta-hawks-teammate-of-the-year

fake news.

Problem with social media is it makes it difficult to almost impossible to know what news is fake. Pretty much the assumption is the news that is popular is real news and the small unpopular reports are fake.

But if anyone here knows, when the Lakers were trying to sign Kawhi all the media (practically) was reporting the Lakers or Raptors and almost..I mean almost no one said the Clippers...well we all know what really happened right?

I am not implying the media reports that Dwight was a bad teammate in the past were false, I am implying we don't really know. The assumption that because a lot of media reported it, it is real..but that is an assumption neitherless.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

The content of that article is not fake. Look at the blue check next to NBPA. The blue check means it's a verified account.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject:

Looks pretty real: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/players-voice-awards-2017-westbrook-voted-mvp-lebron-global-impact-player/
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm way past the point of "rooting against" him or hoping he fails. Nope. Want him to succeed and hopefully find redemption.

However, I'm also cognizant of his track record, and on-court playing style too. Just like Green has a steady track record of being a 3/D guy, I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden be a point forward this late in his career. Same with Dwight. Difference is that Green can't be a point forward b/c of his shaky handles; Dwight CAN be a great screen setter/PnR guy. So I'm hoping coaches will work with him on that and reinforce that part of his game.

Very reasonable take. Like most things, its a wait and see. Hope for the best.

We have seen players mature later in their careers. Like ZBo. I have no idea if Dwight is truly transformed. No one does. Perhaps not even Dwight himself. Don’t see the need to have to be definitive about it. Wait and see.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Just like Rodman somehow - sorta kept it together long enough to get some more titles playing with Jordan and the Bulls, here is hoping playing with LeBron & Rondo can get Dwight to see the light...!
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Small ball teams like the Clips and Warriors want nothing to do with this guy:

Especially against their backup 5s: Zubac, Looney.

Are we getting this guy? Idk, but I hope so.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

People seem to forget how dominate he was with the Hornets because no one cares about the Hornets.. Howard should have no problem giving us big games from time to time this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

When teams play small ball Howard (or McGee or Davis) will be guarding on the perimeter.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

When teams play small ball Howard (or McGee or Davis) will be guarding on the perimeter.

The Clips will play small ball when they try to be as big as they can. Harrell and Zubac are "small", even though Zu is tall. Either of them will be disasters. So, against this lineup:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

Who is your frontcourt for the Clips again?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Just like Rodman somehow - sorta kept it together long enough to get some more titles playing with Jordan and the Bulls, here is hoping playing with LeBron & Rondo can get Dwight to see the light...!

Rodman had some eccentricities, but no questioned his toughness or team first attitude.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Rodman had some eccentricities, but no questioned his toughness or team first attitude.

Yup. Didn't complain about being the centerpiece of the offense, always did blue collar dirty work without hesitation.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

The Clips will play small ball when they try to be as big as they can. Harrell and Zubac are "small", even though Zu is tall. Either of them will be disasters. So, against this lineup:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

That lineup assumes D12 is even remotely reliable, which is far from a sure thing at this point.

If Dwight plays like the contract he was given then it doesn't matter if zubac or harrell are "small". Dwight would be too much of a liability for the lineup to be effective regardless of the size advantage.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

SA: Where is Dwight Howard at physically and mentally? Do you have a sense for what he wants to accomplish now and for his legacy with however much longer he hopes to play?

FV: I think he’s excited about this opportunity with the Lakers. It’s very different from the first time he came through. Then, he was a mega-star coming in with two other mega-stars [Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash]. This time around, he’s had a few teams where they haven’t had great success. And he’s at a different point, age-wise, in his career. So he’s excited just to be part of something, in any way he can help. He knows it’s going to be more of a role player type of role.

SA: And that’s acceptable to him?

FV: It’s definitely acceptable. He’s excited about it. And he has the ability to be one of the best at it in the league. He’s going to be concentrating on that. I’ll be defining what we’ll expecting of him, in terms of defending and rebounding and screen-setting and lob-catching and all those things. He’s willing to accept any role that I lay out in front of him. We’ve had a great start to our relationship. He’s in a great place mentally.

Frank Vogel is sold...good sign!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject:

AD and DH are going to give the Clippers FITS!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
SA: Where is Dwight Howard at physically and mentally? Do you have a sense for what he wants to accomplish now and for his legacy with however much longer he hopes to play?

FV: I think he’s excited about this opportunity with the Lakers. It’s very different from the first time he came through. Then, he was a mega-star coming in with two other mega-stars [Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash]. This time around, he’s had a few teams where they haven’t had great success. And he’s at a different point, age-wise, in his career. So he’s excited just to be part of something, in any way he can help. He knows it’s going to be more of a role player type of role.

SA: And that’s acceptable to him?

FV: It’s definitely acceptable. He’s excited about it. And he has the ability to be one of the best at it in the league. He’s going to be concentrating on that. I’ll be defining what we’ll expecting of him, in terms of defending and rebounding and screen-setting and lob-catching and all those things. He’s willing to accept any role that I lay out in front of him. We’ve had a great start to our relationship. He’s in a great place mentally.

Frank Vogel is sold...good sign!

The key there is that Frank pretty much stated what we all knew. Dwight is coming in to be a stud role player. Nothing else. Not like in 2012 where the offense is built around him for years in Orlando, and then in LA he doesn't like that he is having to defer the offense to guards by setting screens.

In this case, it is you're here to set screens and your offense is all catch and finish inside and on the move. If he does well, I can see Frank give him 24 minutes a night and be the main Center with McGee backing him up. You look at the league, not many teams if any have 2 big athletic guys like this. We pretty much have a lob threat throughout the game. We have elite size. We can close games with AD at the 5 and get the floor spacing and speed then (and not have issues with free throws). So we have so much versatility there. With AD at the 5 to close games, we then have a lob threat on a screen/roll, a shooting threat, spacing and still elite rim protection.

If I were Frank, I'd go 38-40 minutes with McGee/Howard, and then finish off the close games with AD at the 5. You don't want to finish games off with limited offensive talent and some holes the opponents could exploit. Your death lineup needs to be skilled, fast and capable to make jumpshots which McGee and Howard can not.

Think we are on the right track with this. Lets see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
You look at the league, not many teams if any have 2 big athletic guys like this.

They are two of the more athletic bigs for sure.

Some other teams with a good set of bigs:
76ers - Embiid, Horford
Brooklyn - DeAndre/Allen
Bucks - BroLo/RoLo, Giannis
Hawks - Len/Fernando, Collins
Heat - Adebayo/Leonard
Jazz - Gobert/Ed Davis
Kings - Dedmon/Holmes, Bagley
Knicks - Robinson/Portis, Randle/Taj
Pacers - Turner/Sabonis/Bitadze
Pels - Hayes/Okafor, Zion/Favors
Pistons - Drummond, Blake
Trailblazers - Whiteside/Nurkic, Zach Collins
Warriors - WCS/Looney, Draymond/Spellman
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

That lineup assumes D12 is even remotely reliable, which is far from a sure thing at this point.

If Dwight plays like the contract he was given then it doesn't matter if zubac or harrell are "small". Dwight would be too much of a liability for the lineup to be effective regardless of the size advantage.

Do you think they signed him with their eyes closed and their fingers crossed? They saw him up close prior to signing him. He'll be effective in his role. I get proceeding with caution but you're going a tad overboard.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

Do you think they signed him with their eyes closed and their fingers crossed? They saw him up close prior to signing him. He'll be effective in his role. I get proceeding with caution but you're going a tad overboard.

Exactly
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
You look at the league, not many teams if any have 2 big athletic guys like this.

By design, this isn’t 2002, the game has evolved. Teams that are successful have backup bigs who can shoot from the perimeter, hopefully AD will get those backup minutes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

Definitely with their fingers crossed. Anything to cater to AD.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

By design, this isn’t 2002, the game has evolved. Teams that are successful have backup bigs who can shoot from the perimeter, hopefully AD will get those backup minutes.

While I believe in analytics the game hasn't evolved as much as people say it has. At the end of the day its basketball, not rocket science.

The 2002 Lakers would be the heavy favorite to win this year while playing the triangle.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that Noah hasn't been signed after working out with the Clippers a few days ago. They are probably waiting to see what happens with Igoudala but center is a more pressing need for them. If he remains unsigned after Iggy is settled it would be very telling.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Noah is a solid vet but not sure you can hinge your hopes on him trying to help your team win. and yes at first I wanted Noah over Howard, the Clippers are better off waiting for Iggy.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I mean, there was the time he disappeared 2 weeks after signing with us . Or as a Bull when he was in Vegas gambling the night before playoff games and forced MJ/Pip to go fetch his ass. He played hard on the court but I wouldn't say he had a team first attitude.

Both Rodman and Dwight had established their roles in the NBA. Rodman continued to play that role, but Dwight stupidly tried to mutate from a pnr big to a lowpost scoring threat.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

C D12
PF AD
SF LJ
SG DG
PG TBD

Definitely with their fingers crossed. Anything to cater to AD.

AD wanting to play next to a full time 5 so he doesn't have to bang all season is a sound approach whether it's what he preferred or not, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 51 of 137
Jump to: