Twin Peaks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Twin Peaks

This is the thread to discuss David Lynch's masterpiece, the greatest television show in American history, Twin Peaks as I work my way through each episode over the course of three seasons to the well where we all drink well as we discover who killed Laura Palmer.

Spoilers are fine, because this is an old show, but please be judicious. I've seen the first season years ago along with the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, but thought a re-watch was warranted as I recently purchased the third season on Blu-Ray, and wanted to see if there were other Twin Peaks neophytes interested in following along with a TP watch with me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Is there a better pilot episode in television history?

Every major series character is introduced with space to breathe, and the one character who is absent - Laura - is brought to life through the grief of those who have lost her.

God, the perfect balance in tone between Andy and agent Cooper/Sheriff Truman!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject:

I need to watch the new third season. Is it as good as the first two?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

If there has ever been a better pilot episode, I haven't seen it. That first season (actually a mini-series) was extraordinary.

I haven't watched the new series. The last thing I saw was Fire Walk With Me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

The Norwegians left because "everyone here have gun." Same as it ever was.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Man... I envy you guys who are seeing this for the first time. You're in for a wild ride - especially in Season 3.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

My god, episode 3! Did any LGer watch it back when it originally aired? I can't imagine the absolute WTF-ness of stumbling onto that gonzo greatness on network tv in 1990.

The backwoods mythology first takes shape here in the absolutely jaw-dropping dream sequence as The Man from Another Place does his jazz dance and Laura Palmer iconically whispers into aged Agent Dale Cooper's ear. What does she say? Probably have to wait to see Twin Peaks: The Return to find out.

And let's not forget the rock tossing technique Agent Cooper learned in a dream about Tibet, Audrey Horne undulating on the dance floor to Angelo Badalementi's suddenly diegetic score, and we get the introduction of the world's finest forensic artist, Albert Rosenfeld (r.i.p. Miguel Ferrer)! Just a stacked episode with so many funny character ticks and throwaway visual gags like Cooper playfully tweaking Truman's nose and Lucy reading her big book on Tibet.

Best baked goods and coffee bit of the episode:

So many great choices, but the Horne brothers wolfing down their straight-from-France, packed in a suitcase for 8 hours brie baguettes while ignoring dinner is one of my favorite food bits in the first season.

Honorable mention: a donut picnic on a foldable table!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I watched the Premiere while I was in the hospital after being dosed up post surgery on demerol. I remember thinking, "this show is way too trippy to be real"

When I got out of the hospital a week later and watched the rest of the series I was overjoyed to see that the show was just as trippy despite the withdrawal form the intravenous meds.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I didn't watch the original run. I watched it for the first time when they re-ran it later in the season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I watched the Premiere while I was in the hospital after being dosed up post surgery on demerol. I remember thinking, "this show is way too trippy to be real"

When I got out of the hospital a week later and watched the rest of the series I was overjoyed to see that the show was just as trippy despite the withdrawal form the intravenous meds.

Interesante! Do you recall any reactions you read about or saw on tv about the infamous Red Room scene at the end of the third episode? Or even water cooler talk?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I have first season thoughts on the way, but holy heck is the first episode of season two so, so, so good. Like maybe the best episode of television I've ever seen. I assume the season falls off given past complaints and that Lynch won't direct every episode, but what a way to start.

The opening sequence with the Giant, the family dinner at the Palmers, the Colonel's dream speech to Bobby, Big Ed's speech about Nadine and Norma, and the ending of Audrey's monologue to dream sequence stretch are all exceptional, rare television to this day. The episode takes its time in all the right ways and is one of the best films Lynch has ever directed.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

The red room scene really made that first season and spiked up the popularity. It was then that people started to speculate who had killed Laura Palmer and a lot of people assumed it was James Hurley.

Too bad the second season really dragged after the reveal of Killer Bob and once Lynch knew it was gonna be cancelled, he really went into IDGAF mode with the storylines.

I still feel the opening theme song is one of TV's finest. Just plays perfectly with the tone of the series.

You should take a look at SNL's parody of the first season. Extra bonus note, I think it was Chris Farley's first scene on SNL.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
The red room scene really made that first season and spiked up the popularity. It was then that people started to speculate who had killed Laura Palmer and a lot of people assumed it was James Hurley.

Too bad the second season really dragged after the reveal of Killer Bob and once Lynch knew it was gonna be cancelled, he really went into IDGAF mode with the storylines.

I still feel the opening theme song is one of TV's finest. Just plays perfectly with the tone of the series.

You should take a look at SNL's parody of the first season. Extra bonus note, I think it was Chris Farley's first scene on SNL.

This is turning into a bit of a slog after S2 E2.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Midway through Season 2 is about where I bailed.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I'm only five episodes into season 2 and there's a lot I'd like to keep, but so much that could've gone on the cutting room floor already - or at least can't be sustained by anyone except Lynch behind the camera at all times as with the season's first episode.

Random hospitality critic coming to town? Check. Asian woman in terrible fat old Asian guy prosthetics who might be the hospitality critic in disguise for some reason? Check. Agoraphobic guy who grows orchids and has Laura's secret diary for some reason? Check.

So many unnecessary new characters and side-plots just to keep everyone in the cast involved. Sherilyn Fenn was the sneaky MVP in S1 and she's been sidelined so far when a drugged up sex brothel victim would get so much screen time in an actual Lynch movie. Instead I get shut-in orchid guy.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

There's a lot of info available on what shows you can afford to skip in S2. It does start to lose its way without Lynch being involved. E7 and E22 are probably must watches however. You need to get up to speed before The Return which is, of course, essential viewing for all thinking humans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I watched S1 E1. This series has some weird characters. It has light comedy mixed with drama. I'll get to E2 sometime tomorrow. I hope it's worth the watch.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
There's a lot of info available on what shows you can afford to skip in S2. It does start to lose its way without Lynch being involved. E7 and E22 are probably must watches however. You need to get up to speed before The Return which is, of course, essential viewing for all thinking humans.

Yeah, I got through the mostly wonderful S.2 Ep. 7 and enjoyed Eps. 6 and 8 well enough, but now recalling Fire Walk With Me, which I saw years ago, I have no idea how they drag the remaining plot threads out for 14 more episodes.

I'm skipping ahead to Ep. 22 this week so I can get on my way to watching The Return sooner rather than later.

But the elegiac ending to Ep. 7 just floored me. It's violent inversion of the still common trope of the good cops solving the central whodunnit mystery in time to stop the killer in the act of a second crime is near flawlessly executed. McLachlan captures so much of the defeat in Cooper in that moment. Anyway, the common thread is that outside of a handful of other solid-to-good episodes here and there, it's really difficult for anyone other than David Lynch to do justice to David Lynch material.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I'm only five episodes into season 2 and there's a lot I'd like to keep, but so much that could've gone on the cutting room floor already - or at least can't be sustained by anyone except Lynch behind the camera at all times as with the season's first episode.

Random hospitality critic coming to town? Check. Asian woman in terrible fat old Asian guy prosthetics who might be the hospitality critic in disguise for some reason? Check. Agoraphobic guy who grows orchids and has Laura's secret diary for some reason? Check.

So many unnecessary new characters and side-plots just to keep everyone in the cast involved. Sherilyn Fenn was the sneaky MVP in S1 and she's been sidelined so far when a drugged up sex brothel victim would get so much screen time in an actual Lynch movie. Instead I get shut-in orchid guy.

Even worse than an Asian woman in the terrible fat old Japanese guy prosthetics is that it was Catherine Martell (played by lily white Piper Laurie) in the obvious, now even more offensive disguise.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Season 2 got too soapy for my liking. At times I felt like I was watching a weekday afternoon drama on usa network. I needed more Dale Cooper being a hardass. The last few eps however kick ass, very worthy payoff.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Season 2 got too soapy for my liking. At times I felt like I was watching a weekday afternoon drama on usa network. I needed more Dale Cooper being a hardass. The last few eps however kick ass, very worthy payoff.

I'm on S2 E2. Think I'll avoid this thread for awhile. To many spoilers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to check this out. Been hearing about it for awhile.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I'm on S2 E2. Think I'll avoid this thread for awhile. To many spoilers.

Sorry for the spoilers, man.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

The writers of Twin Peaks end episodes in soap opera fashion, "What Da?" You have to tune in to the next episode to see what happened.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Bunk beds, tobacco, and Lisa Dombrowski dancing on a hook rug with a flashlight.

Do you remember?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: