Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
It appears the committee "may" have tipped their hand by slotting Alabama as #5, knowing that either #1 or #4 will lose another game. They could always jump 'Bama later, but I think it would be hard to argue that Alamaba has a better resume as of today than other 1 loss teams.

I think it just means that the Committee is not going to give anyone credit for a conference championship until they have actually won one. Likewise, they aren't going to penalize anyone for failing to win a conference championship when it is still possible that they could.

you could be correct....which is why I say "may"....we will have to wait until next week and the week after to see where they are going.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yeah, I could never understand a person that poses a question as if they are unsure of the answer - then get an answer and then argues so definitively for one side.

It's like if you asked is it the chicken or the egg? Someone else answers - it's the egg.

Then you go on trying to definitively argue how it's gotta be the chicken.

What was the point of even asking a question if you are so certain?

And it's a pet peeve of mine. Don't ask a question if what you really want to do is make a statement.

If there's no question in your mind what the answer is, why are you asking a question?

I think you are missing the point I was making, or I am failing to communicate it. I have no idea what the answer is and I often find the committee contradicting themselves from year to year. Every year they make it clear it is not about conference championships, resume, etc., but every year we are comparing resume's, conference championships, etc. On one hand they do not want to be beholden to these checklists, but in reality these checklists are almost required to reach an acceptable conclusion.

At the end of the day, it is very difficult to compare an Alabama to Oklahoma. Unlike professional sports, they do not play each other or usually even similar opponents. Take Minnesota for example....they beat Penn State last week, but that was the first Top 50 team they have even played this season. All of their other wins do not mean very much. Is Minnesota better than Oklahoma who has played I think 6 Top 50 teams and won 5 of the games. My guess is Vegas would favor Oklahoma over Minnesota by more than a touchdown.

To be clear, I was not arguing one side, but pointing out that I do not know where the committee will go. I know what they claim and I know how that sometimes aligns with their decisions and other times contradicts their decisions. In the end, reality is what the committee claims it to be.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Would be great to have a 16 team playoff.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I think at that point, you either do away with bowls or incorporate them into the playoffs in some manner. Since I think the bowls would be over, I would maybe even go to 24 (top 8 get a bye). I think that would get 40 teams into post season play (currently it is around 60ish). I would cut the season to 11 games and do away with conference championship games if needed to not extend the season too much. I think the money and interest generated in that month would be crazy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

btw, I see the narrative is beginning to sell Scott Frost and Nebraska stock. Send it this way, I will buy all of it. It may take another year or even 2....but he will be contending for Big10 West championships (are they called division championships?) @ Nebraska soon. I do not know if he can get them in the national conversation annually again, or even win the Big10 more than once a deade....but he will get them winning 8+ games a year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Is it about resume or simply the 4 best teams in the country?

adkindo wrote:
The CFP is not like the NCAA basketball tournament where it is based on each team's resume.

adkindo wrote:
...every year we are comparing resume's, conference championships, etc.

adkindo wrote:
I think you are missing the point I was making, or I am failing to communicate it.

Yeah, there's some kind of failure to communicate going on here for sure.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

4 week playoff? That might carry into the Super Bowl
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I think an 8-team, 3-week playoff is the way to go. Give automatic bids to the power conference champions (SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC) and have 3 at-large teams.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I think an 8-team, 3-week playoff is the way to go. Give automatic bids to the power conference champions (SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC) and have 3 at-large teams.

If this is the case, if I'm a power conference champ, I'd do away with conference championships (I'm already ensured one team gets in).

You have more of a chance of getting in 2 teams w/o a conference championship game than you do with one, especially non SEC conferences.

Look at the Pac-12 right now. Oregon and Utah would both have a good shot at making an 8 team playoff if they don't meet in a conference championship game.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

On the question of whether or not a conference championship game would be needed, what happens if you have two teams from the same conference, in different divisions, with the same record and they didn't play each other? Who is declared the conference champion?

Maybe you don't give an automatic bid and you just simply choose the top 8 teams, with the high likelihood that the power 5 conference champs would get in almost every year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I’ve been saying this for years, as have other people. It just seems inevitable. One of the at-large slots would be reserved for highest ranked mid-major team, provided they are in the top 25.

I expect that we’ll go to 6 first, with two teams getting byes. Everyone will hate that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
On the question of whether or not a conference championship game would be needed, what happens if you have two teams from the same conference, in different divisions, with the same record and they didn't play each other? Who is declared the conference champion?

Maybe you don't give an automatic bid and you just simply choose the top 8 teams, with the high likelihood that the power 5 conference champs would get in almost every year.

All conferences that didn't have a title game had tiebreakers to determine who the conference champ was (or they had co champions).

Remember, the Big 12 didn't have a conference championship game until a couple years ago when they didn't get a playoff bid for Baylor?

So they instituted a title game to help their chances.

So, if this new system was enacted, if I were them, I'd take it out.

Quote:
Three years ago, after the TCU-Baylor shared-championship miscalculation helped cost the league a spot in the first College Football Playoff field, the conference decided to ditch co-champions.

That ushered in a whole new set of tiebreaker rules, not only for first place but second and third and so on. Those rules will also apply, if necessary, in deciding the two teams that go to Arlington for the Big 12 championship game at AT&T Stadium.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:
The CFP is not like the NCAA basketball tournament where it is based on each team's resume.

adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:
I think you are missing the point I was making, or I am failing to communicate it.

guy, I have tried to be nice about this but you just continue trying to make it an issue. Honestly, at this point, I do not even know what you disagree with from my statement. I feel like everyone else understood the point I was making.....so I am finished with the subject.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

this is the plan that I think most people agree on....withholding 1 spot for a Group of 5 team if they meet specific requirements and 2 at large (or most likely 2 additional SEC teams )
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

guy, I have tried to be nice about this but you just continue trying to make it an issue. Honestly, at this point, I do not even know what you disagree with from my statement. I feel like everyone else understood the point I was making.....so I am finished with the subject.

yeah, if pointing out inconsistent statements is "making an issue" or "not being nice" then I don't know what to say. To me, any points made must be consistent, no matter how many explanations you offer.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

adkindo wrote:

yeah, if pointing out inconsistent statements is "making an issue" or "not being nice" then I don't know what to say. To me, any points made must be consistent, no matter how many explanations you offer.

Or we could just drop it and move on.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Notre Dame's 273-game home sellout streak will end against Navy on Saturday. It began in 1973 and is the 2nd longest in the country behind only Nebraska's current 373 game streak.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Notre Dame's 273-game home sellout streak will end against Navy on Saturday. It began in 1973 and is the 2nd longest in the country behind only Nebraska's current 373 game streak.

And even with all the turmoil and frustration in Lincoln, this is one streak no one here will allow to end anytime soon.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

49 years ago on this date.....the entire Marshall University Football program was lost on a plane crash returning from a game against East Carolina. 75 souls lost including the entire traveling team, coaches, media, administration and boosters. The program was rebuilt from scratch and by the 1990's it had risen to win more games than any school in the country during the decade including 2 D1-AA National Championships. Since opening their current stadium in 1991, Marshall has the highest winning percentage at home games in the country around .850 followed by Alabama in 2nd. From ashes to glory, We are....Marshall.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28072403

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

^^^ 49 yrs
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
^^^ 49 yrs

correct....typo
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

I think Tua is out for the rest of the year they brought out the cart for him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I think Tua is out for the rest of the year they brought out the cart for him.

ESPN reported from the sideline that he was "screaming in pain" when he was taken off the medical cart by personnel after being carted off the field.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

This really freaking sucks. Damn.

Jim Nagy

@JimNagy_SB

Hearing Tua Tagovailoa’s hip injury is serious. Hip fracture. Similar to Bo Jackson’s career-ending injury. Surgery tonight or tomorrow morning. Praying for Tua and his family.

12:54 PM · Nov 16, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Suttles

@AaronSuttles

BREAKING NEWS: Tua Tagovailoa is out for the season with a dislocated hip with a posterior wall fracture, a person with knowledge of the situation tells me.
1:56 PM · Nov 16, 2019·TweetDeck
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 23 of 38
Jump to: