2019 College Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It was right there for WVU to steal one against Texas, and our QB choked in the 2nd half throwing 4 interceptions!

I watched some of that one. There was an extended sequence when WVU either gave the game away or showed their offensive deficiency, depending on your perspective. First, trailing 21-14, WVU intercepts Texas and returns the ball (aided by a penalty) to about the Texas 15. The momentum is all WVU, and the crowd is pumped. Then the Texas defense just stuffs them and forces them to kick a field goal. Depending on your perspective, the Texas defense was a brick wall, or WVU just couldn't execute a thing.

The WVU defense holds, though, and the offense gets the ball back. But then there is a poor WVU pass that gets knocked into the air and intercepted by a defender lying on the ground. Texas gets the ball at about the WVU 20 and rams it in. Instead of 21-21, the score is 28-17.

That was really the killer. Both offenses were gifted a possession in the red zone. One offense got stuffed while the other offense did the stuffing. Texas then gets another interception and TD, and it's all over. But the earlier sequence decided the game.

I would say that Texas is a year or two away from really getting back into the national title discussion, but the 'Horns are on their way. I don't know what to say about WVU. The defense was okay, really. I just don't remember a WVU offense with so little pop.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
It was right there for WVU to steal one against Texas, and our QB choked in the 2nd half throwing 4 interceptions!

I watched some of that one. There was an extended sequence when WVU either gave the game away or showed their offensive deficiency, depending on your perspective. First, trailing 21-14, WVU intercepts Texas and returns the ball (aided by a penalty) to about the Texas 15. The momentum is all WVU, and the crowd is pumped. Then the Texas defense just stuffs them and forces them to kick a field goal. Depending on your perspective, the Texas defense was a brick wall, or WVU just couldn't execute a thing.

The WVU defense holds, though, and the offense gets the ball back. But then there is a poor WVU pass that gets knocked into the air and intercepted by a defender lying on the ground. Texas gets the ball at about the WVU 20 and rams it in. Instead of 21-21, the score is 28-17.

That was really the killer. Both offenses were gifted a possession in the red zone. One offense got stuffed while the other offense did the stuffing. Texas then gets another interception and TD, and it's all over. But the earlier sequence decided the game.

I would say that Texas is a year or two away from really getting back into the national title discussion, but the 'Horns are on their way. I don't know what to say about WVU. The defense was okay, really. I just don't remember a WVU offense with so little pop.

sure, that was the killer sequence, but we had so many opportunities and continued to shoot ourselves in the foot from the beginning. Texas's first TD of the game came after we scored and stopped their offense to get the ball back, and Kendall (WVU QB) throws an INT on 1st down to set Texas up on our 25 yard line. Also, we missed 2 FG's in the 1st half that should have been made including a 35 yarder.

Even with the missed FG's and 2 (of the 4) interceptions behind us, we have the ball early in the 4th Quarter only down 4. Going into that game if you told me we threw 4 interceptions and missed 2 FGs, I would have guessed the score to be 47-13. We (WVU) just do not have a Big12 QB....and you simply cannot thrive in that league without one. The sequence you spoke of when we got the turnover and got stopped inside the 10.....last year that would have been like taking candy from a baby with a quick slant or fade to Sills.

I am not really as impressed by Texas now or in the near future as you stated you thought they would be very good soon. Until proven otherwise, I assume they will continue to be an underachieving team that plays to the level of their competition which is what they have did for Herman. As for us....we are in Year Zero. This is the weakest and least experienced WVU team I can recall since Rich Rodriguez's 1st year (2001). Out of 135 D1 schools, we were 129th coming into the season based on returning players with experience. We have true and red shirt freshman all over the field which is rare at a school that recruits at our level. Our backup Nose Guard who had started the previous 2 games is 17 years old! We lose almost nobody from this team going into next season.....if anyone's future is bright, it is the "EER's!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

My projected playoff teams....

1. SEC winner (#1 if undefeated)
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma
4. Clemson

Just not sure who gets out of the SEC between (Alabama, Georgia, Florida or LSU). I know perception is 'Bama, but I think anyone of the 4 could win the SEC this year.

someone on Twitter said it would be great if it was...

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma

it would set up 1st round revenge games with Jalen taking on Tua & Alabama.......and Fields taking on Fromm & Georgia.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

very impressed with the way SMU has turned it around this year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

It would be nice if there was only one SEC team in the playoff this year, but I'll believe it when I see it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

unranked Miami knocks off #20 University of Virginia 17-9....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

BYU to start black QB for first time in school history

Quote:
For the first time in its nearly 100 years of participation in college football, BYU will start a black quarterback. Jaren Hall, a redshirt freshman, will start Saturday at USF in place of Zach Wilson, who is out with a thumb injury.

LINK

it seems crazy on the surface, but I guess it is a numbers game. The overwhelming number of LDS members are Caucasian, and is the population of Utah and the student body of BYU. I did find this fact surprising.....

Quote:
BYU is a private university owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The school began playing football in 1922 and did not have an African American player until 1970. Until 1978, the church did not allow black people to enter temples for specific ordinances, and black men were not eligible for the priesthood.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

feel like Texas may be in for a long day in the Red River Shootout against Oklahoma....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

#3 Georgia loses to unranked South Carolina in 2OT
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Temple edges out #23 Memphis to give Memphis their 1st loss on the season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
feel like Texas may be in for a long day in the Red River Shootout against Oklahoma....

Horns Down.....#11 Texas kept it close, but #6 Oklahoma wins 34-27
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

USC will probably lose but they've probably got their QB for the next couple of years in Slovis.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Joe Burrow is the truth.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

still looking like......

- Alabama / LSU
- Clemson
- Ohio State / (maybe Wisconsin?)
- Oklahoma

As South Carolina proved, anything can happen, but right now I just do not see a loss on Clemson or Oklahoma's schedule.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

Have to think UGA fans are questioning the decision to stick with Fromm and let Fields exit to Ohio State.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
still looking like......

- Alabama / LSU
- Clemson
- Oklahoma

As South Carolina proved, anything can happen, but right now I just do not see a loss on Clemson or Oklahoma's schedule.

Oregon, Utah, Penn State waiting for someone to make a mistake. Maybe Notre Dame still has life, but UGA's loss to South Carolina did not do them any favors.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
USC will probably lose but they've probably got their QB for the next couple of years in Slovis.

He has given the Irish a good scare... I do think that he'll be even better next season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

OU always inexplicably loses at least one game a year. They are known for it. Kansas State seems like a good bet this year. There is no way in hell that KSU should beat OU. That's the template.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
still looking like......

- Alabama / LSU
- Clemson
- Oklahoma

Oregon, Utah, Penn State waiting for someone to make a mistake. Maybe Notre Dame still has life, but UGA's loss to South Carolina did not do them any favors.

oregon will be out after this weekend
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Have to think UGA fans are questioning the decision to stick with Fromm and let Fields exit to Ohio State.

Would Justin Fields do any better at Georgia with their much more traditional system than Fromm? I guess he would at least give them a dual threat with his legs. I think coaching has a lot to do with it.

He is a perfect fit for Ryan Day's spread system. He has been fantastic so far.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Would Justin Fields do any better at Georgia with their much more traditional system than Fromm? I guess he would at least give them a dual threat with his legs. I think coaching has a lot to do with it.

can't say for sure, but I do believe Fields is the more dynamic talent by a decent margin between the two QB's.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Joe Burrow is the truth.

He has been great. He was at OSU for 3 years, and I still pull for him to do well.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:

can't say for sure, but I do believe Fields is the more dynamic talent by a decent margin between the two QB's.

No arguing from me that he is def more dynamic. I'm so glad he came to OSU, or we could have Tate Martell as our QB. Things have not gone well for him at Miami.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

and Illinois messes up the Ohio State / Wisconsin showdown next weekend by upsetting Wisconsin as 30+ Point underdogs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

The best jersey in college football.....

SMU Dallas

reminds me of something on one of those '80's movies that is insinuating a reference to the Cowboys but were too cheap to pay for the rights.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 14 of 38
Jump to: