2019 College Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
but what if the question really is could they be a Top Tier Power 5 team with Power 5 resources (money)?

But that's not the question. It's not what they could be. It's what they are. Furthermore, it's not just TV money, or really even money in general. TV money may affect a school's resources and recruiting power, but the difference runs much, much deeper than TV contracts. That's just part of what's misleading about the "Power 5." Sure, Rutgers probably gets more TV money than UCF. Woo hoo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
but what if the question really is could they be a Top Tier Power 5 team with Power 5 resources (money)?

But that's not the question. It's not what they could be. It's what they are. Furthermore, it's not just TV money, or really even money in general. TV money may affect a school's resources and recruiting power, but the difference runs much, much deeper than TV contracts. That's just part of what's misleading about the "Power 5." Sure, Rutgers probably gets more TV money than UCF. Woo hoo.

I am not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I agree money is not the only factor, but my guess is there is a really strong correlation between winning and the amount of money spent on the program and facilities. Within the last decade for example, UCF and Georgia built indoor practice facilities. I think UCF's cost around $12 Million and Georgia's cost nearly $40 Million. I think it is clear who has the nicer facility and how those things impact recruiting.

The football spending has became a whole different animal. Over the last decade WVU has spent hundreds of millions on facilities and renovations. It was not all basketball and football, but most of it was, and it was split fairly evenly between the two. I have heard many recruits, media members, coaches, etc. claim WVU is in the Top 10 in the country in basketball facilities. I have even heard some claim it is #1. Even our new baseball stadium and facilities is on par with the best in the Big12/SEC. At best, we are middle of the pack in the Big12 in Football facilities...and would be at the bottom of the SEC. My point is even as a successful P5 program that spends more than many think we should on facilities....we simply cannot compete with the big boys in football spending.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

^^^^

This assumes that football facilities are what drives recruiting. I'm sure that facilities are a factor, but how much? Here's a ranking of football facilities, for whatever it's worth:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Alabama-football-Clemson-Tigers-Nick-Saban-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-LSU-college-facilities-rankings-2019-134061740/#134061740_1

Some of the teams at the top of the list, like Clemson and Alabama, have been highly successful. Others, like Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Oregon, have not been so successful.

At the end of the day, West Virginia is still not Oklahoma or Alabama or USC or Notre Dame. As you say, West Virginia has spent vast amounts of money on facilities, but it is still a middle tier school. The benefit of membership in a Power 5 conference is that, if West Virginia ever manages to run the table (12-0 plus a win in the conference championship game), it is all but certain to make the CFP. That could happen. But that does not mean that West Virginia (or any of the other middle tier schools) is in the same weight class as the top tier teams. I don't know that adding facilities would change anything.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

^^^we (WVU) are in some of those teams weight classes in some years.....but I get what you are saying in that we are not part of the rotation of elite teams. It seems like once a decade or so we get a plus 1 invite to hang around them but never a permanent seat. People forget it was not that long ago that Rich Rod turned down Alabama to stay at WVU (the summer before he left for Michigan) and even more recently when WVU hung 70 points on Dabo and Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Clemson is the one team that I think gives programs like WVU hope. Clemson basically was WVU, NC State, Virginia Tech, etc. just a few years ago. The other teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, etc. have been rotating in and out of elite status for decades.....but not Clemson. They were your typical 8-9 win team.....10 in a good year, and 11 in an amazing year. Then they found lightening in a bottle with a great staff, investment in the program, etc., etc. and it began the year after we beat them down in the Orange Bowl.

2013 - 11 wins
2014 - 10 wins
2015 - 14 wins CFP Team
2016 - 14 wins National Champions
2017 - 12 wins CFP Team
2018 - 14 wins National Champions

If you are a team that has traditionally been successful, but not a "blue blood", Clemson is evidence that you can crash the party.

Last edited by adkindo on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Everyone's beloved Huskers just entered the arms race, announcing a $150M football upgrade. Including new locker room, weight room, a 4th practice field. Sketches released today look really nice. Glad they got that announced before their butts are handed to them by Ohio State tomorrow.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

That’s good to hear. College football would be better if Nebraska got back in the mix.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That’s good to hear. College football would be better if Nebraska got back in the mix.

They just feel so out of place in the Big 10.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree!

Heading to the game in a little bit. Bummed Lebron left for media days, there was talk he may be back for the game. He was here earlier in the week with Wade and Gabrielle to have dinner with Warren Buffet.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Everyone's beloved Huskers just entered the arms race, announcing a $150M football upgrade. Including new locker room, weight room, a 4th practice field. Sketches released today look really nice. Glad they got that announced before their butts are handed to them by Ohio State tomorrow.

yeah, cause everyone knows 3 just is not enough. Lot of surprising close games today.....I will not be shocked if Nebraska makes a game out of it with GameDay there and stuff.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

just like WVU in the Big12 and Colorado in the PAC12.....just do not fit, and I am not sure they ever will. Nebraska and Colorado belong in the Big12....and WVU probably belongs in the ACC (really the Big East ).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

They are starting to believe in Chapel Hill!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

End of 3rd Quarter....

UNC - 14
Clemson - 14

this is the same UNC team that is on a 2 game losing streak with losses to Wake Forest and Appalachian State. Clemson was 28 point favorites coming into game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

End of 3rd Quarter....

UNC - 14
Clemson - 14

this is the same UNC team that is on a 2 game losing streak with losses to Wake Forest and Appalachian State. Clemson was 28 point favorites coming into game.

oh wow....UNC scores with about a minute left to make it 20-21....they go for 2 and the win, but Clemson stops them to hold on....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

End of 3rd Quarter....

UNC - 14
Clemson - 14

oh wow....UNC scores with about a minute left to make it 20-21....they go for 2 and the win, but Clemson stops them to hold on....

The only reason I don't like the decision to go for 2 there is because there was still 1:17 left. Even if you make it, Clemson still has plenty of time to try for a game-winning FG. I think you only go for 2 there if there is barely any time left and it's a "we either win or lose the game on this play" scenario. Even if you make it, you don't guarantee yourself anything, whereas if you miss, the game is over if you don't get the onside kick.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^I 100% agree with Brown going for it there because of the wide disparity in talent on the rosters. Clemson is significantly better, and I like my chances of winning with the 2 points than trying to win in Overtime. Usually the rule is go for the tie at home, and the win on the road.....but I think these teams were not close in talent and I am trying to steal a win there. Now the play was beyond stupid trying to get to the edge on that Clemson defense with that QB.....that play was dead on arrival.

Not sure I follow the 1:17 left being a factor....either way Clemson was going to get the ball back and have a chance to win it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Baylor takes out Iowa State with a FG with only seconds left on the clock. It was a big deal because the kicker was a true Freshman that was only kicking because of an injury to the starting kicker. He had only attempted 1 FG this year / his career, and it was a missed 38 Yard FG earlier in the game. The one he made to win the game......38 yards!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

UCF appears to be taking out their frustrations from last week's loss on UConn....42-0 with 10 minutes left in the 2nd Quarter
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Rice takes a 14-7 lead into halftime against Louisiana Tech.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

If I am Scott Frost and McKenzie Milton is healthy and graduated by next season....I am trying to get him to transfer to Nebraska ASAP.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Haven't watched any games until now....Ohio State with the blowout against Nebraska.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Haven't watched any games until now....Ohio State with the blowout against Nebraska.

thinking ABC/ESPN should probably avoid GameDay @ games that have a 17 point spread before the game. I thought Nebraska may be able to keep it close through the 1st Half...but this is embarrassing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, not much of a game....Nebraska can't even put any points on the board.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Yeah, not much of a game....Nebraska can't even put any points on the board.

they finally scored with 2:07 left in 3rd
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
^That’s a good point. I’ve had Direct TV for years and still don’t have the PAC-12 channel. I have an easier time finding an Alabama game on tv than a USC/UCLA game.

And to make things worse, Alabama will be in the playoff and probably the SEC Championship Game. USC/UCLA will play in what? The Sun Bowl? Las Vegas Bowl? Will they even play in a bowl game?

I guess everyone is different, but I honestly believe if I am a 5 Star recruit right now....I want offers from Clemson, 'Bama and even USC.....but I am going to WVU....because as a kid I was imitating Pat White and Tavon Austin in the back yard (if I was 18 years old now.....I was Major Harris in my back yard).

I am not sure playing at 'Bama or Clemson really increases the chances to get drafted these days. If you are good, the NFL will find you. They send more to the NFL because they have more talent.

Some kids will imitate the local heroes, but USC/UCLA haven’t had many of them recently and kids can also imitate players from Alabama, Clemson, etc. even if they don’t live near those schools.

USC lost again and will fall to 3-3 if they lose the next game to Notre Dame. That will probably be followed by more losses. This is following a 5-7 season. I remember after an embarrassing early season loss when Lane Kiffin was coaching, one of the USC defensive players that was an elite recruit yelled out “I didn’t come here for this (bleep)!” Recruits that go to Alabama and Clemson haven’t had the problem of constant losing in recent years.

Of course, some local recruits will go to USC/UCLA to be close to home, but the losing has to be a huge turnoff for some people.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Rice takes a 14-7 lead into halftime against Louisiana Tech.

headed to OT....tied @ 17
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 12 of 38
Jump to: