2019 College Football Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: 2019 College Football Thread

The boys have reported, and we are less than a month away from the greatest 4+ month sport season in America. Young men strap up and represent a University, it's alumni and often entire states on the gridiron each week. My team (WVU) is rebuilding this season, but that just provides an opportunity to shock some teams!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Clemson(59)
2. Alabama(6)
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Washington
13. Oregon
14. Penn State
15. Utah
16. Auburn
17. UCF
18. Wisconsin
19. Iowa
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Syracuse
23. Stanford
24. Iowa State
25. Northwestern

Some interesting points....
- UCF is once again ranked as the highest Group of 5 School
- Florida and Texas have returned to high expectations
- Football is alive in the PAC12!
- As always, the Big10 is overranked....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

The Mighty Rice War Owls are sharpening their talons. You can smell the fear around the country. It all starts on August 30, when they send an Army to try to stop us. Hah! Then the Demon Deacons come to Houston for an exorcism. Then come the Longhorns, and we'll have steaks on the grill. Bwahaha!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Mighty Rice War Owls are sharpening their talons. You can smell the fear around the country. It all starts on August 30, when they send an Army to try to stop us. Hah! Then the Demon Deacons come to Houston for an exorcism. Then come the Longhorns, and we'll have steaks on the grill. Bwahaha!

I did notice Rice was picked to finish ahead of UTEP in their division per the media poll. WVU was picked 8th (out of 10) in the Big12 this year, so I am expecting many frustrating Saturdays. I saw a metric that illustrated WVU lost the most offensive production out of all the P5 schools. We lost Grier, all 3 receivers, 2 linemen, and our TE to the NFL.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Saw a study earlier measuring the P5 schools amount of travel this season. Clearly each season changes to some degree because of which conference games are on the road and the out of conference schedules. It caught my attention because the travel required of WVU in the Big12 is something I and other WVU fans routinely whine about. The thing that caught my attention was the PAC12 as a conference travels far more than any of the other conferences as a whole. I think on the East Coast, we often assume the schools in the West are clustered much closer than they are in reality. For example, it appeared the average PAC12 school travels in excess of 2,500 miles a season, while SEC schools mostly travel less than 1,250 miles a season.

On average WVU still travels far more than any other P5 school at around 5,500 miles a year.....but this season Arizona led the way with 5,800 miles because of a trip to Hawaii. Anyway, it is a built in advantage for schools in the SEC, Big10, and Big12 (outside WVU), while it is a clear disadvantage for PAC12 schools.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

I don't know about West Virginia, but in the rest of the country we have airplanes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't know about West Virginia, but in the rest of the country we have airplanes.

and you do not think traveling over 5,000 miles in the air over 2-3 months on a full time student is much more difficult than traveling around 800 which is what several SEC and ACC schools travel this year? FYI, WVU travels in and out of Pittsburgh, PA.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

That’s six plane trips over three months. The extra time seated in the plane is a small part of the travel time. The real burden comes from all of the other stuff, which is common to all schools. It must be a pain for the fans and students, though. They can’t just jump in the car and drive to Lubbock.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

Weak poll, Nebraska will be a mid-teens team this year, barring injury to major players.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Weak poll, Nebraska will be a mid-teens team this year, barring injury to major players.
What I came to say! GBR!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

I think a lot of people think Nebraska is a Top 25 team this year based on talent and schedule, but I assume they have been absent for so long that voters want proof.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I’m not coaching this fall so I can get back into watching some college football
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Miami names Red Shirt Freshman Jarren Williams starting QB for the opener against Florida.

Not good if you are Tate Martell who transferred there assuming he would start.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Preseason AP Top 25

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Oregon
12. Texas A&M
13. Washington
14. Utah
15. Penn State
16. Auburn
17. UCF
18. Michigan State
19. Wisconsin
20. Iowa
21. Iowa State
22. Syracuse
23. Washington State
24. Nebraska
25. Stanford

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

USC is unranked! First time since Pete Carroll's first year that USC is not ranked in the preseason poll. Anything more than 4 losses and I think Helton is for sure done. With a former Utah/Florida/Ohio St. coach possibly waiting in the wings.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
USC is unranked! First time since Pete Carroll's first year that USC is not ranked in the preseason poll. Anything more than 4 losses and I think Helton is for sure done. With a former Utah/Florida/Ohio St. coach possibly waiting in the wings.

Cry me a river. Rice is unranked, too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Cry me a river. Rice is unranked, too.

Oh I'm not crying, as a UCLA alum. Just found it very interesting, as Clay Helton enters a season where he is on not just a hot seat, but on a scalding-hot seat. As for my Bruins, maybe we can build up some momentum in Chip Kelly's second year. I'm not expecting any miracles, but maybe we can be a .500-ish team and get a bowl bid. Would be a step in the right direction. I just want to see tangible progress.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

Getting excited....it all starts in 3 days when Florida and Miami take the field in Orlando. It will be interesting to see how Miami travels because make no mistake.....Orlando is not neutral territory, it is Gator Country.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

WVU is not ranked this preseason. Not a big outlier, we are usually ranked about 2 out of 3 years. The big difference this year is WVU is not only unranked, but projected to be really bad. Big 12 media picked WVU 9th (out of 10) this year. I am actually embracing the underdog role, and I get the feeling the program and entire state has bought into "nobody believes in us" this year.

On paper, I get it....we lost a ton of players and I cannot recall the last time so many true Freshmen (and RS Freshmen) were being mentioned as playing significant roles. It is one thing when a blue blood is playing 5 Star Freshmen, but WVU Frehsmen are 4 Stars and high 3 Stars....the kind of player that usually needs a couple of years to develop. Still, we are not going 3-8 as some have projected....we will win 6+ games. Now it is just about who we will upset.

The last time we were projected to win so few games, we went 11-1 including a win against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and finished the season ranked #5. In fairness, the college football world were not aware of true Freshmen Pat White and Steve Slaton before the season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

Those of us in Owl Nation understand the concept of embracing the underdog role and the "nobody believes in us" mentality. Hell, we aren't nationally ranked even though we spanked Alabama 28-6 in 1954.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Those of us in Owl Nation understand the concept of embracing the underdog role and the "nobody believes in us" mentality. Hell, we aren't nationally ranked even though we spanked Alabama 28-6 in 1954.

the Cotton Bowl from the '53 season which also included wins against Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, TCU and Baylor. Only lost 2 games that season....both by less that a TD.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

so far, the same old Miami....the talent and athleticism to compete with SEC teams, but the mental discipline of a mediocre high school team
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t watch the whole game, but from what I saw, neither team impressed me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I didn’t watch the whole game, but from what I saw, neither team impressed me.

It was an exciting game of very poorly executed football from both teams. Honestly, it is hard to make much of it until we see each team play again because Week 0 games are usually bad. I have always believed if you have a good team, you want to avoid Week 0 games....but if you are not very good, then you want a Week 0 game against a good team because you may be able to steal it because of mistakes.

I came away with Florida has a defense with potential, but I still do not trust Feleipe Franks @ QB for UF. Also did not see much from the UF ground game. As far as Miami, their Defense looks like it could be a turnover machine that also gives up big plays. The Miami offensive line is very bad (Gators had 10 Sacks and 16 TFL's!!!), their running game is solid and their QB has Heisman potential in 2-3 years.....but he may be running for his life this season.

Last edited by adkindo on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

Miami had an offensive line? Could have fooled me. From what I saw, Miami couldn't block anyone, but Florida couldn't tackle anyone.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

There are some crazy lines in Week 1....and I would not touch any of the favorites. Still, this one seems even crazier than the others.....#17 UCF is a 45.5 point favorite against FAMU on Thursday. I am tempted to take FAMU and the points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 1 of 38
Jump to: